Menu

College freshman fall 2020

Ok, my youngest has plans to travel 12-14 hours away to study musical theater this fall...  Is anyone else wondering what the fall will look like?  If they do not have tests for anti-bodies and/or vaccine as well as effective treatment, I'm not sure how they can open up dorms...  Am I nuts to think that way?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am thinking the same thing.  My youngest plans on starting college 18 hours away this fall and I am very concerned.  I don't see how they will open up dorms and have classes on campus.  She had planned on participating in a summer research program there, too.  It hasn't been canceled yet, but I am certain it will be.  😞

Tough times for so many.

• Like 2

My DD is planning to study acting but has not decided on the school. She could end up also being 12-14 hours away or 6 hours or 3 hours--concerning unless they have a vaccine or a test for antibodies, especially since she has asthma.  What is happening with the virus will play into the decision she makes (or at least how we as her parents guide her to choose said school); it is a just a shame that it has too after all of this work. It is nerve-wracking committing to a school this early as well. What if some of the schools are in session and some are not--acting & MT classes really need to be in-person? What if the whole first semester is online--is it better to take a gap year and begin the next year so she can actually participate in the classes the way they should be held? This will be super upsetting for her as she can't wait to begin college and postponing it will stink. SO much uncertainty. 

When is Kent's freshman orientation? Early summer? I suspect many orientations will now be online. Sigh. 

I really do not know what to do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, counselinggirl said:

When is Kent's freshman orientation? Early summer? I suspect many orientations will now be online. Sigh. 

I don't know...I assume it's spread out over the summer.  My dd goes there for DE but plans on attending an out of state university in the fall.  Her orientation there is in August, but who knows what will happen?  

• Sad 1

DD18 is planning to go to a Christian college about two hours from our home. She has started saying, "If I go to college in the fall..." On the one hand, I am glad that she is recognizing the possibility that things might not proceed in the normal way. And, on the other hand, it makes me sad to hear her say that.

She did just submit her housing request and her class pre-registration form. She has picked a roommate, whom she met at a prospective student event, and the two of them have been making plans for what they want bring for their room. So plans are still going forward, both from her end and the university's side.

But I do wonder a lot whether the fall semester will happen as usual.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

She has started saying, "If I go to college in the fall..." On the one hand, I am glad that she is recognizing the possibility that things might not proceed in the normal way. And, on the other hand, it makes me sad to hear her say that

But I do wonder a lot whether the fall semester will happen as usual.

My feelings, too.  

• Like 1

I just told my rising college freshman to check her schedule and see if she can register for courses that can be easily taken online during the fall so no labs or anything that will be harder to do online and then put the others in the spring. I pray the curve is well flattened before then so we can start to regain some normalcy but that may be wishful thinking. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Lilaclady said:

I just told my rising college freshman to check her schedule and see if she can register for courses that can be easily taken online during the fall so no labs or anything that will be harder to do online and then put the others in the spring. I pray the curve is well flattened before then so we can start to regain some normalcy but that may be wishful thinking. 

That's a reasonable idea. My gap-year kid has confirmed with her intended university on CLEP credits and is studying for two of those right now. She is dreading having to try and take Music Theory, Piano, etc online... but it'll be what it'll be, I suppose!

• Like 1

My ds will be a junior, and we are talking about a gap year. Not only am I not sure dorms will be open, I am also not sure there will be a way to get him to MA from NZ. 

• Sad 3
On 3/28/2020 at 11:11 AM, counselinggirl said:

My DD is planning to study acting but has not decided on the school. She could end up also being 12-14 hours away or 6 hours or 3 hours--concerning unless they have a vaccine or a test for antibodies, especially since she has asthma.  What is happening with the virus will play into the decision she makes (or at least how we as her parents guide her to choose said school); it is a just a shame that it has too after all of this work. It is nerve-wracking committing to a school this early as well. What if some of the schools are in session and some are not--acting & MT classes really need to be in-person? What if the whole first semester is online--is it better to take a gap year and begin the next year so she can actually participate in the classes the way they should be held? This will be super upsetting for her as she can't wait to begin college and postponing it will stink. SO much uncertainty. 

so good to hear from you! (i'll have to PM you soon!) we feel the same way. do we really want to pay to take online classes? we take online classes now - and my ds can't handle more of the same.... we're also thinking applying for gap year, to be prepared if it turns south. but... at least as a silver lining, our seniors aren't missing out on standard high school traditions - graduation commencement, prom, senior trips - now the rest of the world is like us - so for us, that's at least a plus. 🙂

• Like 1

We are hoping that by this fall there will be in person classes as usual, but it's hard to say whether that's a wishful dream or not with the social distancing deadline being pushed off another month. UF is having its 2-day orientation online in May and early June (instead of in person). We will see if the other public universities in Florida follow suit. It may be that DD decides to take 12 or 13 credits in the fall instead of 15 due to the unknown of whether classes will be online only then or not. She's done science labs online before and while it isn't optimum, there's no way to know how long it will be before there's a vaccine ready for the COVID-19. It's really hard to plan when so much is up in the air due to this pandemic. 

• Like 1