Menu

Anyone try Teaching the Classics?

MomN

Just saw this in the IEW catalog and it looks good ... but also expensive with the DVDs.  Any fans of TTC? I love the idea of having a curriculum that makes me confident in asking the right questions about good literature.  I also saw a lecture by SWB on literary analysis that I want to check out.  Any other good resources that teach about the elements of literature?

TY!

Center for Lit (the TTC people) has a few free things going on right now. See if these links work for you. I think the second link includes the TTC recordings, and it's a 6 week trial, so you could get quite a lot. 

A bundle of recorded lessons:

https://secure.ultracart.com/checkout/singleLoad.do?r=1585359854585&merchantId=CR4LT

Trial membership:

https://centerforlit.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ae696897b7b02eafd9f60f218&id=5a1dc6a576&e=367a5f6663

Another trial membership:

https://centerforlit.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ae696897b7b02eafd9f60f218&id=cc1861bc61&e=367a5f6663

• Like 4

A lot of people do Teaching the Classics alongside Windows to the World through the Jill Pike syllabus. That allows for doing TtC with the student.

One of my favorite resources for learning literary elements (devices) is Figuratively Speaking. Here's a past thread ("Figuratively Speaking paired with short stories") with a lot of poems and short stories matched up to the 40 literary elements covered in FS. The resource itself of FS could be done as young as grade 5/6, if the student is ready for that. If using FS more in-depth with ideas from the linked thread, then I'd say it's more of a grade 7/8 level resource.

Definitely download SWB's talk on "What is literary analysis and when to teach it" -- currently a FREE download! Thx, Susan! 😄 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

Center for Lit (the TTC people) has a few free things going on right now. See if these links work for you. I think the second link includes the TTC recordings, and it's a 6 week trial, so you could get quite a lot. 

A bundle of recorded lessons:

https://secure.ultracart.com/checkout/singleLoad.do?r=1585359854585&merchantId=CR4LT

Trial membership:

https://centerforlit.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ae696897b7b02eafd9f60f218&id=5a1dc6a576&e=367a5f6663

Another trial membership:

https://centerforlit.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ae696897b7b02eafd9f60f218&id=cc1861bc61&e=367a5f6663

Thank you for telling me about these!  Listened to the first recording last night and loved it!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

A lot of people do Teaching the Classics alongside Windows to the World through the Jill Pike syllabus. That allows for doing TtC with the student.

One of my favorite resources for learning literary elements (devices) is Figuratively Speaking. Here's a past thread ("Figuratively Speaking paired with short stories") with a lot of poems and short stories matched up to the 40 literary elements covered in FS. The resource itself of FS could be done as young as grade 5/6, if the student is ready for that. If using FS more in-depth with ideas from the linked thread, then I'd say it's more of a grade 7/8 level resource.

Definitely download SWB's talk on "What is literary analysis and when to teach it" -- currently a FREE download! Thx, Susan! 😄 

Thank you!  Will take a look at these!

Also, you might find these questions helpful to have handy:

Questions for Discussion of Any Book:
SWB's handout for Academic Excellenc: gr. 5-8 -- lit discussion questions under  LA heading, 2/3rd down the page
50 Questions to Help Students Think About What They Think (reflection & collaboration; self-reflection; reasoning; analysis; connections; literary questions; science & social questions)
The 6 Tpes of Socratic Questions
Bloom's Taxonomy Questions
Twenty Five Question Stems Framed Around Bloom's Taxonomy

• Like 1

My TTC handbook is one resource I’ve used regularly for close to 10 years. No matter what English program we use, I always end up pulling out the list of Socratic questions. I’ve used it for one on one discussions ( just a half hour ago) as well as for weekly or monthly book clubs for grades 5-12(not to get—5-8 and8-12).

The DVDs are good, but if you had a strong college English class, you could do without it. 

• Like 1

Semi-related: Are the free videos available right now the same as the DVD seminar? I had planned to buy TTC for next year, but I don't want to spend extra money if I don't need to! I've watched the first 3 of the videos that are available for free right now, and they are great!

Lana

On 4/1/2020 at 2:23 PM, freesia said:

My TTC handbook is one resource I’ve used regularly for close to 10 years. No matter what English program we use, I always end up pulling out the list of Socratic questions. I’ve used it for one on one discussions ( just a half hour ago) as well as for weekly or monthly book clubs for grades 5-12(not to get—5-8 and8-12).

The DVDs are good, but if you had a strong college English class, you could do without it. 

Is the handbook the same as the same as the syllabus? Can you purchase items separately? I’m not interested in the dvd but I really want the list of questions.  

1 hour ago, SRoss5 said:

Is the handbook the same as the same as the syllabus? Can you purchase items separately? I’m not interested in the dvd but I really want the list of questions.  

I’m not sure.  I see it called the workbook.  Look at a sample and check that it has a section called The Socratic List and subsections like List of Setting questions, etc.