Menu

Should long-time homeschoolers help crisis schoolers?

Sarah0000

A local FB page alluded to hostile opinions towards helping the displaced, former public schoolers in our area. I can understand feeling peeved if particular people who criticized you or homeschooling were suddenly lamenting how hard it is to be home with kids or to homeschool, but it felt like there was a widespread divide among long-time homeschoolers: should we help or not?

Have you guys noticed this divide, either locally or online? Please tell me more.

I'm also in California where charter school homeschooling, which is what most homeschoolers do here, has been under a lot of scrutiny the past few years.

Should farmers help suddenly hungry people?

Should doctors help people who usually self-treat at home?

Should public schools help former homeschoolers who send their kids to school?

I think people should help whom they can to the extent they can.  Obviously that is going to look different for different families.

• Like 26

Help with what?  Giving kind parental advice about structure and schedules?   Doing public school curriculum at home isn't really homeschooling in my book.  It's checking boxes for the school of homework done in lieu of class time. 

No, I haven't seen any hostility.  I've seen people who've never given their children boundaries before either doing it or letting them not do anything.  And I've seen those that do give boundaries express a lot of gratitude for teachers.  But that's about it.

• Like 3

Only if they ask for help.  

Locally, I am not seeing homeschoolers offering advice, but then locally, officially, schools are still in session.  Students are e-schooling through their public, private, or charter schools.  

Online, I am seeing many homeschoolers jumping in to offer unsolicited advice, much of which, in my opinion, is worthless.   Advising parents to relax about schooling and saying it will be okay if they just read books or watch documentaries for a few months is one thing.  Posting a second grader's schedule as a how-to guide for parents of high school students is another.

• Like 15

I've seen both helpfulness and hostility. Personally, if asked about homeschooling, I will help no matter what the background and I don't promote how I homeschool over other ways to homeschool unless the person specifically wants to know about what I do and how I do it. While I agree that online schooling or crisis schooling with guidance and direction coming from the child's teacher isn't the same as homeschooling, I'm not in the business of snubbing "wannabe homeschoolers" because everyone has to find their own way. Who knows, maybe a kind offer of information about homeschooling as I know it will help a "public school at home" parent ease their way in the confidence to make the jump to homeschooling. If homeschooling is treated like some kind of exclusive club with arbitrary rules about who's in and who's not (which honestly sounds rather "middle school-esque" to me), that is certainly not the vibe I want potential new homeschoolers to get from me. I want them to have the same initial feeling I had when I started homeschooling which was welcoming and that there were people willing to help me that have walked this same road before me. So yes, I would offer help, if asked.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sherry in OH said:

Only if they ask for help.  

Locally, I am not seeing homeschoolers offering advice, but then locally, officially, schools are still in session.  Students are e-schooling through their public, private, or charter schools.  

It’s school at home for private and public schools here so the only generic help that could be useful would be how to keep an eye on your child during his/her online class time while working from home. 

A friend asked for help for educational resources for the “early spring break” while the district get their online classes ready. 

Edited by Arcadia
Weird autocorrect
  • Like 1

I would be happy to help if anyone asked me but I don't think I have a lot to offer as what I do as a hs'er is much different than the people now forced into psin'g at home. It has seemed rather presumptuous of me for hs'er to be putting out all this info for people in totally different situation than I have ever faced. I think general parenting advice from sahm to those new to it would be much more helpful. 

• Like 3

I’m not sure what you mean by helping. And, it is a bizarre time right now, because it’s not like you’re helping your neighbor who pulled her kids out of public school and is needing help getting into homeschooling. For most of these “instant homeschoolers” this is temporary. It’s like the difference between being a long-term missionary in a foreign country and taking a mission trip on Spring Break. The commitment level is different, the attitude is different and the needs are different,

I am a teacher in a homeschool charter her in California. I started out years ago reading TWTM when my boys were in diapers. I was committed. I was a purist. I was like a lot of people on these boards. An ideologue. But then my oldest got older and had a lot of problems, and I realized I couldn’t homeschool him anymore. So, he went to a parochial school. (We are not Catholic, but it was a good school). And we live in a small town where our church culture is such that most kids go to high school at the local Christian school. I went there for high school. My parents went there for high school. That is what you do. I wasn’t going to fight my kids on that. It’s not worth it.  So, I got I job. And I am a homeschool teacher for this charter. And my world just opened up. There are a lot of reasons people homeschool. And there are parents who love their children and are committed to their children’s education, but for whatever reason aren’t desirous of studying educational philosophy and exploring every curriculum option. And that’s ok. I still consider them legitimate homeschoolers, even if all their classes are in Edgenuity.

As far as divisiveness goes, I stay out of the fray. I stay off FB pages,etc. where that kind of conversation can happen. None of that is helpful at all.

• Like 4

When asked, yes I help otherwise I don't offer.  Mainly because the schools are setting up online/home instruction.  I have no clue how it should be managed.  However, I have had a few friends seek out advice regarding the kids being home all day and finding creative activities/outlets.

• Like 6

I think that a huge part of successful homeschooling is setting and enforcing expectations with your children--as well as renegotiating those expectations as necessary.  There is no division between the roles of parent and teacher, and enforcing school stuff is identical to enforcing any other potentially distasteful activity.  I think that homeschoolers who are in it for the long haul spend lots time and energy establishing and maintaining these expectations and developing the sort of relationships with their children that are conducive to homeschooling.  

It is extremely difficult to communicate these ideas to crisis homeschoolers.  

Edited by EKS
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I admit I get irked when short term, public school at home is referred to as homeschooling. It really is a different set up entirely, and I can’t help but feel like the years of hard work I put in into homeschooling is somehow diminished to those who insist on calling them the same name. But I think it makes those parents feel good, like they are suddenly as invested in the same way, so whatevs.

If anyone had questions of course I would be happy to help. I kinda think the questions would be more centred around SAHM issues though, since the actual education part is taken care of by the schools. 

I loved our years of homeschooling but don’t envy families who are suddenly thrust into staying home and having to figure it out on the fly, especially with little ones.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I've seen 3rd parties assume that I, as a homeschooler, am available as a glad resource for the new "crisis schoolers."  (I.e. Preacher from my church assuming that I'm here to offer counsel and advice to those navigating their new normal.) I don't especially appreciate that...

• Like 2

It actually irritates me when on the news they refer to public school kids who might have been given a packet of papers or a Chromebook as "homeschooling".  (And no, it has nothing to do with the packet or the Chromebook since obviously homeschoolers can use both.)  But despite the changing landscape of homeschooling, there is a definition (at least legally in my state) that has to do with the parent actually directing the schooling and these parents aren't 99% of the time. 

I am another who fails to see what I could help with.  I can't school their kid and still maintain social distance.  There are lots of online schooling resources that are much more polished and entertaining than I could be (and I don't have the time for that right now.)  No one is asking me (or even asking if there is anyone out there who can teach them) how to read to their kids or to choose materials or how to do science at the kitchen table or how to teach regrouping in addition.  If they did, of course I would help. 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I've seen 3rd parties assume that I, as a homeschooler, am available as a glad resource for the new "crisis schoolers."  (I.e. Preacher from my church assuming that I'm here to offer counsel and advice to those navigating their new normal.) I don't especially appreciate that...

No only that, but homeschoolers are also trying to navigate a new normal. My days start off the same, but look very different overall than they were just a couple of weeks ago. We were out in the community six days a week and now we're home every single day. I need to find creative ideas and activities for my own young teen who is an extrovert and usually in very active extracurricular activities.

• Like 4

It wouldn't really occur to me to NOT help somebody who asked for help that was easily within my skill set.  I've had one friend write and ask for some fill-in-the-gap resources, and I recommended Critical Thinking Company workbooks/ebooks.  She and her husband will both be at home, so they can help but they will be working, and she wanted her kids to practice specific skills that those books (which we use as supplements) address.  She was happy to pick up a couple of $10 books, so it seemed like a good fit.  After that, I posted a generic facebook post saying that one friend had asked, this is what I recommended, my volunteer gig is tutoring so I have some familiarity with local school system homework, and that if anybody needed anything to send me a message.  If I can take some stress off of somebody by recommending a resource or typing/facetiming an explanation for some homework, it seems like it's the least that I can do.  But, I've never encountered much anti-homeschool sentiment, either.  One friend told her kids 'We chose private school X, other friend goes to public school Y, and they do school at home.  Everybody chooses what works best for their family' and that seems to be how most folks treat it.  

• Like 9

Maybe I'm not on the right websites, but I don't see anyone thinking what we are doing is traditional homeschooling.  That said, there isn't exactly a word for it, is there?  Every time I see the word "homeschool" used in this situation it's used as a joke, kinda like people say they are going into battle when they aren't actually soldiers.

I think a little grace is in order.  Nobody asked for this.  This is incredibly stressful for all of us.

As for "what can we help with anyway," I really don't know.  Different school systems are handling school differently, different families have different needs.  I'm sure many if not most will figure it out without having to ask for homeschoolers' help.  It won't be perfect, but what ever is?

PS if we want to pick on words, can we stop saying "busywork" as the standard term for whatever PS kids are doing for their teachers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have seen a lot of unsolicited advice, most of which I think is extremely unhelpful. I have also seen a few requests for help, especially in state and local groups. I respond to those if I think I have something helpful to say, but most of the time I simply advise the asker to continue following the assignments set out for them by the school. At the end of the day, these kids are still public school students, and they need to do what their teachers are telling them to do. I don't feel like generalized advice about schedules and stuff is that helpful because situations vary so much. I don't know any homeschooling families that follow the same schedule as another family, much less one dictated by assignments coming from an outside source. I'm kind of floored by the number of people who jump in on those threads touting the free, online all-in-one curricula. How is that even applicable right now?

I have in more than one case advised a parent not to make a decision about continuing with homeschooling after the crisis based on their current experiences. IMO, well-planned and intentional homeschooling isn't in any way comparable to the crisis-schooling going on right now.

Edited by PeachyDoodle
  • Like 5

I have chatted with a couple people, but neither asked for advice.  I said our days were different as well - no travel to lessons, volunteering, choir, or swim- and sympathized that their kids had everything changed.  At least mine have their school mostly the same and we can try to get ahead to have a break when this is all over.  Talk is here in Michigan is that as it stands none on the online work will count as seat time because not everyone is able to offer online learning.  Schools here already go to early June- are they really going to go all summer?

1 minute ago, Mom2mthj said:

I have chatted with a couple people, but neither asked for advice.  I said our days were different as well - no travel to lessons, volunteering, choir, or swim- and sympathized that their kids had everything changed.  At least mine have their school mostly the same and we can try to get ahead to have a break when this is all over.  Talk is here in Michigan is that as it stands none on the online work will count as seat time because not everyone is able to offer online learning.  Schools here already go to early June- are they really going to go all summer?

Here (at least in some school districts) they are only calling what kids are doing for school as "enrichment" because of the equity issues that Patty mentioned.  I think in the end that this year is going to end up being a sort of gap year (or gap partial year) for many kids. 

• Like 1

Not within my tiny little district here, but in other districts within my state parents have been left high and dry. They are asking questions on social media on how to keep educating the children (within the parent’s ability). I detect no hostility, but I imagine the homeschool FB groups are going to put tighter restrictions on joining so it won’t be a nightmare to cull membership six months from now.

There are some earnest but lost parents out there right now, and I think homeschoolers are pretty good at identifying those people by thier questions. As a group, we all seem happy to help those. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

I have a policy of not giving out unsolicited advice or help.  That applies to this as well.  I also have a policy of helping anyone who asks for help if I possibly can.  So to answer the OP's title, should we help?  Sure, as much as anyone being asked for help should help if we can.  But if that means inserting ourselves into a situation where we haven't actually been asked for help, then no, I don't think that we should do that. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I'm probably going to make a separate post about this--it really irked me--but this actually happened yesterday on our NextDoor.  A parent came online and asked for help because her student had asked his teacher for more assignments/resources in Algebra.  He has already completed everything assigned through April, and is interested.  The teacher said s/he couldn't do that because it wouldn't be fair to the other students ("equity" was the word used) and it was against district policy (policy cited).  

My district could post online resources and teachers could post in their classroom pages. However almost everyone has internet in my area and now everyone should have because Comcast is giving 60 days free for low income. 

Teachers are scared of being blamed for equity though. They are more willing to help when they know the parents aren’t going to record/screenshot what they say and use it against them. 

I told a friend that the biggest difference between us as homeschoolers vs. Homebound public schoolers is choice

Not just that we chose homeschooling (which is totally relevant because when everything isnt working I can fall back on "Why did we choose this? What are my goals?)

But also that we chose the curriculum. We chose our schedule. We decided that this math is better for us as a unit (not just is it better for my student but does it have the resources I want to be successful at helping my kid, etc.). We decide "nope that isnt working, let's do something else" or "math has been an hour long battle today- let's set it aside and come back tomorrow". They may or may not have those choices depending on the type of distance learning they are doing. 

Homebound schooling is a really weird mix of things that the teachers haven't totally figured out, either. So be patient with them. Be patient with your kids. Step away from extra workbooks and try some connecting and learning activities (play a game, read together, watch a documentary, whatever) in your non-school time

• Like 9

I admit that I've heard the term "homeschooling" used - by a sibling, by journalists, and by a local radio personality. It rubs me the wrong way to use that term in this situation.

If asked for help, I will do my best to offer the most helpful advice. I passed along a couple of the free video-based resources I've seen to the two siblings who are trying to keep my niece/nephews occupied during the day. I did not point to Khan or worksheets as I did not think those would be used.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Talk is here in Michigan is that as it stands none on the online work will count as seat time because not everyone is able to offer online learning.  Schools here already go to early June- are they really going to go all summer?

California has waive the 180 days of school so my school district is compacting curriculum and will end the semester/trimester as per normal in early June. 

• Like 1

Of course they should help.  To me, it doesn't matter how or why someone suddenly must oversee her children's education.  I don't really care about people having criticized my family's choices in the past.

ETA: Agree about helping only when asked, though.  😊

Edited by DoraBora

1 minute ago, SamanthaCarter said:

why would Khan not be used? I find it an extremely user-friendly stop-gap. 

My friend uses Khan but she is a SAHM and only need to park herself next to her high school kid to monitor his usage. Some families here have no one free to monitor computer usage and kids are pretty savvy at getting around parental controls. Textbooks and worksheets are easier to keep an eye on while a parent is on conference call. 

• Like 1

It would depend on what the person was asking "my kid isnt understanding the online math instruction" might make Khan a good recommendation.

"My kid is bored and I want them to do something other than play Overwatch" - then Crash course might be a better fit... or Overly Sarcastic Productions  or Khan but for  ART History or Pixar in a Box just because they may not realize there's more to it than math instruction... 

• Like 1

I've been hosting Zooms for people in our church (and now others are joining in). I think these parents need to hear homeschoolers to say things like:

As the parent, you absolutely have the authority to not do the 25 things your kid's teacher thinks they should do today. 

No, it's not worth everyone crying to keep up with that ridiculous list of assignments.

No, do not make your kid work until 8pm (true story) to finish what the school sent home.

The parent sets the tone. If you are frustrated, your kid will be, too.

The most important thing is supporting the emotional well-being of your kids.

They will not fall behind. I repeat, they will not fall behind if you do not do everything the school is telling you to.

Fifteen minute lessons, then let your 6 year old play for awhile.

No, this isn't normal. You are not failing. Other people aren't better at this than you are. Even people who choose to homeschool have loooong adjustment periods.

I think that the seasoned homeschoolers in this country can be of great service and comfort to those who have been thrown into this position. These parents have never lived from the paradigm of having more authority than the schools. Think about that. That's a major difference between the perspective of the homeschooler vs the non-homeschooler. They're drowning because they're letting the schools dictate their days and they desperately need someone to give them permission to take the wheel. I've gotten such wonderful feedback from my Zooms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Here (at least in some school districts) they are only calling what kids are doing for school as "enrichment" because of the equity issues that Patty mentioned.  I think in the end that this year is going to end up being a sort of gap year (or gap partial year) for many kids. 

A teacher friend of mind said the packets they are giving out are all review. They cannot move forward with new material.  I think what I don’t understand how it’s all going to work out is high school. I have high schoolers in my roster taking Edgenuity, or other online classes and for them, it’s business as usual.  They are expected to finish the course, and they will complete all the coursework for that class. But kid who go to a public B&m school....there is no accountability. A kid on an on-line school will have completed the required coursework for those 5 credits, but the other one.... do they get 3 credits for what they completed before the shutdown? How does that work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarah0000 said:

A local FB page alluded to hostile opinions towards helping the displaced, former public schoolers in our area. I can understand feeling peeved if particular people who criticized you or homeschooling were suddenly lamenting how hard it is to be home with kids or to homeschool, but it felt like there was a widespread divide among long-time homeschoolers: should we help or not?

Have you guys noticed this divide, either locally or online? Please tell me more.

I'm also in California where charter school homeschooling, which is what most homeschoolers do here, has been under a lot of scrutiny the past few years.

Well, it depends.

If someone wants to know how to homeschool, I will tell her what the requirements are in her state, which would include withdrawing her children from their schools. I'll recommend books about homeschooling which were helpful to me, so that she can read up on what homeschooling is. Depending on the ages of her dc, I will also recommend spending several months de-schooling, at least until the fall. I'll give her the contact information for local support groups (if I know of any), and I'll chat with her about my homeschooling experiences and all that stuff. 

If someone is just trying to figure out what to do until the public schools open again, then I'll recommend checking with her school district to see what kinds of things might have been set up for homebound or distance-learning students. Otherwise I'll tell her to take a chill pill and hang out with her children and enjoy the quiet time.

So in neither situation would I tell her how to schedule her days, or tell her which curriculum I think she should use, or anything else about how to do school.

Also, charter schools are public schools of the state. Legally, they are not homeschooling. In California, homeschoolers file a private school affidavit annually, or they enroll with a private school satellite program (PSP). If charter schools are being scrutinized, they might deserve it, but it won't affect homeschooling, because every single one of the parents whose dc are enrolled in the charter school can file an affidavit tomorrow; there's a very excellent court case to back them up.

12 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

. A kid on an on-line school will have completed the required coursework for those 5 credits, but the other one.... do they get 3 credits for what they completed before the shutdown? How does that work?

It would be full credit due to extraordinary circumstances. Whether the school gives a pass/fail grade or letter grade depends on the district. Since UC looks at GPA for 10th and 11th grade subjects, I am guessing that the high school students will have letter grades but K-8 can go on pass/fail for report cards.

A school district in the county next to us just released a statement that all seniors in good standing, as of March 13th, will receive their diplomas.  I guess they are done!

I will offer advice if asked, but based on my FB feed, there is already drama going on between the public schoolers/now homeschoolers on whether it is better to just relax and enjoy this time or do school  (comments about not competing with the parents trying to get their kids into Harvard LOL).  Some are not very nice!  I'm pretty sure I would get a lot of nasty responses if I put myself out there.  I did offer a friend some links to Udemy and Cousera for some classes her son may be interested in.  I'm finding my "friends" don't really get what real homeschoolers do on a regular basis.  I have a feeling a lot of my "friends" are going to feel differently about each other when this is all over and we are out among the living again.  

My boys are still plugging away on all their work as usual.  I think it is good for them to keep the routine and they aren't complaining.  They get on-line time with friends later in the day. And...I'm so glad we made the decision last year to continue homeschooling for high school!  It seems as though 9th grade will end up being less stress for us with them not being in public school.  

• Like 3

No and I wouldn't even if asked.

Temporary school at home is not homeschooling. If a parent can't get their kid to do the very minimal work that most schools are sending home- that is a parenting problem, not a school problem. They can't change their curriculum or do something different  or unschool for a while or any of the things usually recommended.

It's rough and I am sorry for the situation but I am not going to give advice to people who have questioned my choices and allowed their kids to make fun of mine for the past 19 years.

Sigh. My mother called today. Not feeling especially charitable.

• Like 3

Trying to love my neighbor as myself and treat others as I would like to be treated.

I have helped some people who have asked. Not going to bother explaining that "crisis schooling" is not homeschooling. Just trying to help them find some materials and get organized and not be overwhelmed. 

I would not offer unsolicited advice. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that I would have anything valuable to give them for advice. My homeschooling is nothing like their "homeschooling".  I feel for the parents and kids put in this situation, but temporarily doing public school at home or trying to find things to keep the kids busy during the day is not anything like the home education that I have been doing for the past 14+ years.

I suppose if asked I could offer suggestions on activities that might be fun to keep kids occupied, but I have never, as a parent, been through something like this.  My kids never went to public school, so I never went through sudden change in our routine caused by a long term suspension of school.  My mom would actually probably be a better source, as she did go through something similar, although without the stay-in-place orders.  When I was in first grade and Mt. St. Helens blew it caused us to have to evacuate our home and school ended for us for the rest of the school year.  We lived out of a camping trailer for months (with a family of 5).  I don't remember my mom having us do any schoolwork, it was just early summer break.

Schools in our district did not send home any work for the kids, nor are they doing anything online except offering a few resources on their website if parents are interested.  Most of the parents in my area seem to be doing dollar store workbooks or (up until the stay at home order) taking kids to watch wildlife and calling it homeschooling.  However, I have heard that the schools are working on putting together stuff but it is not going to be ready until about a week before they are supposed to go back to school.  Many parents are guessing that they will not actually go back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It actually irritates me when on the news they refer to public school kids who might have been given a packet of papers or a Chromebook as "homeschooling".  (And no, it has nothing to do with the packet or the Chromebook since obviously homeschoolers can use both.)  But despite the changing landscape of homeschooling, there is a definition (at least legally in my state) that has to do with the parent actually directing the schooling and these parents aren't 99% of the time. 

I am another who fails to see what I could help with.  I can't school their kid and still maintain social distance.  There are lots of online schooling resources that are much more polished and entertaining than I could be (and I don't have the time for that right now.)  No one is asking me (or even asking if there is anyone out there who can teach them) how to read to their kids or to choose materials or how to do science at the kitchen table or how to teach regrouping in addition.  If they did, of course I would help. 

I agree, they are not homeschooling! 

Many schools here have NOT given parents or kids anything to do! The parents who have spoken with me are overwhelmed with the sheer volume of options and don't know what or how to choose. Many do not want their kids on screens all day. Some are just trying to have structured activities, others want some real academic work. They want to use the time well and don't know where to start. They don't need full curricula, they just need some encouragement, some priorities and very basic resources to get them through the next six weeks. (School is out in mid to late May here and would normally have had testing take up a week or more.) 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Right after the schools closed in a nearby town a homeschool mom i know made a Facebook group for homeschool moms and public school moms to post ideas and suggestions for getting through this. There’s a lot of encouragement and posting links to educational sites and videos (like the Mo Willems ones). I’m not seeing recommendations of full curricula or anything like that. I think it’s a good thing; if anyone doesn’t, they can un join the group.

• Like 1

I want to add that I have absolutely nothing against people using other schooling methods.  I have nothing against the news reporting on how people are coping with the school closures.  It is news and it impacts people's lives.  But accurate reporting would say something like "Many parents are struggling to cope with school closures" or "Many parents are struggling with how to balance the school enrichment activities and work at home" or something like that.  But to say that they are struggling with homeschooling?  Nope.  They aren't.   (And honestly, while actual homeschoolers have had their struggles, most of us, even the ones who rely heavily on co-ops, do have some idea of how to keep some sort of learning going on in the home even though we haven't received packets or Chromebooks from the school district.  So the reporting really doesn't reflect us.)

• Like 7

My kids are waiting until Monday to find out what their schools’ plans are. Therefore, my ninth grader is protesting that I am making him do a quick review of the unit he had problems with, using a different text. However, I don’t want to dive into anything new with him, because I feel strongly that his private school is going to move forward with meaningful work next week.

However, I don’t have any faith that the public school are going to be able to assign meaningful work. So, I have started doing Jousting Armadillos with the seventh grader because it is much more interesting to him and when I told him he was expected to do math, he begged for it to be anything but subtracting fractions, lol.

I know I have a plan to continue schooling at home. I know it isn’t homeschooling, because I know what that feels like! But I do have a plan for the next couple of months for reading, math, ELA and science. It’s just that I have the luxury of planning eclectic things, with no goals to check off!

My colleagues at work know all this, they are free to ask questions or for suggestions, but so far they are very much in a holding pattern. I think once the school board makes up its mind next week, they might start looking. But no, I’m not offering suggestions. There are enough people who think my family’s interests are weird when school is in session! 

One of my children had the ability to continue with what was provided pre-closure. One got maintenance activities. I knew how to keep going. Most parents with unexpected home-bound kids do not. Our schools were let out March 17 and kids will not be back in the classroom at all this year, three full months early. There are no chrome books and there was no packet. A little grace is in order. That’s a long time to do nothing and maintenance is not enough. What I’m doing with them now is not that different than what I did when I HS’d full time.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

I'd be happy to, but here the kids who are at home have school work being sent from school, so there's nothing to help with, except to say 'lower your expectations' and 'don't make them sit at a table 9-3'. 

Can I just say that it's also REALLY annoying me that people with their kids enrolled in school, having work sent home and marked by school teachers and oftentimes having classes with those teachers, are suddenly running around talking about how they homeschool now? No you don't - your children are doing distance learning, and you are a supervisor. Plus all the support about how hard it is blah blah blah, which it is, but no thought to the years upon years they've been saying 'oh, don't agree with homeschooling, it makes your kids weird, I don't know how you do it'.

Anyway. That is my petty vent for the day. 

Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying. There's no PS teacher grading/reviewing my kids' work tho. I am. We've already been told that if they were on track to advance to the next grade they will automatically be advanced whether they do or learn another thing all year. My oldest is following the printed syllabus and lecture for one class and watching the teacher's archived videos and doing the problem sets for another. There is no instructional review of the work being done. I hope folks aren't assuming that's the case everywhere.

Edited by Sneezyone

I have offered some unsolicited advice. A friend of mine was lamenting over the packets sent home for her kindergartner and the tears that ensued. I told her school at home shouldn't suck and to ditch the packets and just read and play. I would not neccesarily suggest the same thing for upper elementary kids and beyond, but that would definitely be my plan for kindergarteners who hate packets. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Our ps handed out packets, online stuff, and Chromebooks. And the parents invested in their children's education are helping them. And the parents who park their kids in front of the tube are still doing that. And the gap will continue to widen. 

I do sympathize with the working moms who are now working from home who are expected to simultaneously teach their kids with the extra time they don't really have. It would be a difficult transition especially when it's not something you wanted to ever do.

• Like 7

*No one is asking for help from homeschoolers. They still think of homeschoolers as they always have - barely at all but when they do, weirdos! And they aren't weirdos. We have nothing to offer them, the schools are still running education. They aren't thinking about education differently. 

They all think they're freaking geniuses for discovering duolingo...

*yes this post contains some snark, arrogant school parents have got on my nerves. Posters in present company obviously excepted.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

No clue how they are going to teach what needs to be mastered before the next grade or course, but no summer school here. My state has waived the mandatory 180 days. 

I would certainly never refuse to help someone who asked. I am not likely to be asked, because my kids are college age, though people who know me know I homeschooled.  I wouldn't have much to offer other than site like Khan Academy, materials from WTM, stuff like that. I would share things I did with my kids, such as reading aloud even to high schoolers because it's still valuable even when the kid can read on their own.  But again. only if asked. 

There was a thread a while back about homeschoolers offering condescending, unsolicited advice to people.