Menu

Volunteer as tribute? Get out there! Mix and mingle!

Sneezyone

Why aren't those unconcerned about the virus going on as usual with their lives? Those who are perfectly happy to expose and sacrifice their young and old relatives should do so. Go ahead! Send 'em out there to be infected so we can all get this over with and get the economy roaring back to life. If you're NOT doing that? Why not? If you're NOT putting your money where your mouth is to the maximum extent possible, why not? I really wish people would stop offering up other people's family members as tribute on the alter of capitalism. NOT COOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Tanaqui said:

1. A lot of them are.

2. You in particular should stay home, Sneezyone 🙂

LOL. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, my at-risk family members are in CA and WA, two hard-hit states. DH sister is in NYC, the Bronx. I don't WISH ill on anyone but if folks want to go ahead and thin the herd themselves...let 'em have at it.

The spring breakers were volunteering as tribute until they got shut down. I personally know volunteers who had a massive road trip from an area with community covid spread in the middle of the country to the West Coast and then back. I think we'll see in a few weeks how those volunteers and their communities are doing. 

Just realized that if the restrictions are relaxed in a week or 2 it will be just in time for any outbreaks from those spring breakers to really explode. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

LOL. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, my at-risk family members are in CA and WA, two hard-hit states. DH sister is in NYC, the Bronx. I don't WISH ill on anyone but if folks want to go ahead and thin the herd themselves...let 'em have at it.

Noooooo...they will end up thinning the herd of healthcare workers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Why aren't those unconcerned about the virus going on as usual with their lives? Those who are perfectly happy to expose and sacrifice their young and old relatives should do so. Go ahead! Send 'em out there to be infected so we can all get this over with and get the economy roaring back to life. If you're NOT doing that? Why not? If you're NOT putting your money where your mouth is to the maximum extent possible, why not? I really wish people would stop offering up other people's family members as tribute on the alter of capitalism. NOT COOL.

A Modest Proposal

😉 🤨 😉 

::irony::  ::sarcasm::

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah. A local family here went to another state for a very non-essential pleasure reason. That state issued a shut down the day after the left. They post their pictures on FB without mentioning where they were. The next post is about Praying for an end to the virus. Really? Are you that self-centered or are you that clueless or that stupid? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

I realize your post is pretty tongue-in-cheek.  

But to give a real answer, the people who I know who think this is "overblown," are nevertheless following mandated confinement rues because... they are law-abiding citizens.  You can disagree with a government's measures and still follow them.  We all do it, all the time.  *shrug*  I can think of a million homeschool examples of this.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I realize your post is pretty tongue-in-cheek.  

But to give a real answer, the people who I know who think this is "overblown," are nevertheless following mandated confinement rues because... they are law-abiding citizens.  You can disagree with a government's measures and still follow them.  We all do it, all the time.  *shrug*  I can think of a million homeschool examples of this.  

True that. I do worry, however, that folks really WILL see the flatter curves in some areas and attribute them to everything but the recommended/mandated measures while, at the same time, bemoaning the loss of economic activity without realizing the tradeoffs. I just don't think economic continuity and life preservation are compatible priorities at this time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

True that. I do worry, however, that folks really WILL see the flatter curves in some areas and attribute them to everything but the recommended/mandated measures while, at the same time, bemoaning the loss of economic activity without realizing the tradeoffs. I just don't think economic continuity and life preservation are compatible priorities at this time.

I don't either.  I don't agree with those who say "herd immunity and let the chips fall where they lie."  But I understand why people who feel that way continue to follow rules their localities set in place.  It's the same reason my kids take standardized tests.  I think it's stupid, but I'm not going to break the law over it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

At a certain point, it's a little hard not to revel in the schadenfreude.

• Like 2