Menu

Looking for a historical Russian epic to read...

16 hours ago, mms said:

There’s been a lot published since the break up that is really good. I was also stuck in a Soviet and golden period rut for many years but have recently enjoyed discovering authors like Dina Rubina and Ariadne Borisova. Just saying, you might like some of the newer stuff if you give it a try.

Oh my parents love Dina Rubina, actually met her.

The thing is, I can't read Russian books in translation, and I am just not interested in looking for originals now. My TBR is 10 miles long as it is lol

1 minute ago, mms said:

Neat that your parents met her! To be honest, I liked the movie adaptation of one of her books far more than the book.

I get that about translations. I started reading a Solzhenitsyn novel in English one time and had to switch to Russian half way through. Books on pdf makes it easy to find cheap originals and that has greatly expanded my library.

I don’t know what I’ll do about the kids when they are ready for Russian lit, so far only one is on track to read the originals and I can’t imagine teaching Russian lit in translation. Maybe I’ll outsource that class for my bilingual failures to DH, lol.

Oh I can't even!!!!

I beat myself up all.the.time for not teaching them Russian to my kids when they were babies. If only I would just speak to them and start with Russian kiddie books, I have so many good ones.  ARghhhhhhh

And while I realize it's still not too late, I have NO CLUE how to teach a "foreign" language.

Sorry guys for derailing the thread!

• Like 1