Menu

Seeking feedback for new homeschool site

Hi – I'm looking for help from some resource-savvy homeschoolers!

For the past several years, I've been working with a few homeschool friends to build a website that recommends great resources across the main subject areas (Math, LA,  Science, World History, and US History). This has been a long-term project, but with the recent influx of new homeschoolers, we've decided that now is the time to roll this resource out. 

We need fresh eyes on the site and would love to get some honest feedback from this community about the content, design, and ease of navigation. If any of you would be willing to poke around on the site a bit and fill out a short questionnaire (accessed from the "Feedback" link in the menu), we would be so grateful!

www.besthomeschoolresources.com

• Like 1

It looks beautiful. You may be avoidng this, but I find it helpful when it is easy to tell the "bent" of homeschool sites so that I don't go deep in before I realize I have irreconcilable differences with their view of science or history. Maybe include an "about us" where you respectfully state your position, like, "on this site we assume an acceptance of generally held scientific positions and suggested resources are in line with this" or "on this site we assume a literal interpretation of Christian Scripture and suggested resources are in line with this."

• Like 3

On 3/27/2020 at 10:56 AM, xahm said:

It looks beautiful. You may be avoidng this, but I find it helpful when it is easy to tell the "bent" of homeschool sites so that I don't go deep in before I realize I have irreconcilable differences with their view of science or history. Maybe include an "about us" where you respectfully state your position, like, "on this site we assume an acceptance of generally held scientific positions and suggested resources are in line with this" or "on this site we assume a literal interpretation of Christian Scripture and suggested resources are in line with this."

Thanks for the feedback – very helpful. Yes, my instinct had been to avoid such a statement because our philosophy is to be welcoming to homeschoolers of all stripes. You're absolutely right, though, that it would be frustrating to spend time on the site only to find such irreconcilable differences (particularly on the science pages, which recommend secular resources). 

I've taken your advice and added an About Us page that clarifies our position.

• Thanks 1

Its beautifully designed and easy to navigate overall. 

I personally prefer how it's broken up by topic and sub topics, but could you also add a way to navigate by general age/grade? I see you have tags for elementary, middle, high...could you group or filter that way?

I only poked around a little bit but it seems like most of the topics and/or resources are geared towards elementary. Is that purposeful? 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! Yes, right now most of our resources are for Elementary and Middle.

We're working on building a separate section of the website with in-depth high school content. The big goal for this spring is to create our first two High School modules, starting with Biology and Chemistry. For each subject, the idea is to create a collection of topic pages that correlate with the chapters of a standard HS textbook. Then, a student doing an independent study at the high school level could consult the chapter-specific topic pages to find tons of useful content (videos, sims, animations, labs, practice links, etc). So, it's a big project, but the hope is to have these first two subject modules ready to launch over the summer! 

On 4/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, Sarah0000 said:

Its beautifully designed and easy to navigate overall. 

I personally prefer how it's broken up by topic and sub topics, but could you also add a way to navigate by general age/grade? I see you have tags for elementary, middle, high...could you group or filter that way?

I only poked around a little bit but it seems like most of the topics and/or resources are geared towards elementary. Is that purposeful?