Menu

SAT Subject Test for June 6th???

Should I even bother signing my kids up for this or should I shoot for August?  It is for Biology and they'll be finishing their class in May.  I have prep materials already and they are going to start studying either way.  Will just space it out more if we are shooting for August not.

Thank you :-)!

I am expecting that a June 25th summer program for my 9th grader will be cancelled.  Even if things get back to normal at the end of April, I don't think that the May tests will happen. Now you have more time to stretch out the prep for an August date.   Just my opinion.

My son is still praying that he can take physics on June 6.  I don’t know what to think anymore.  I’ve been doing my part to social distance, and am getting pretty cranky at others who have made no changes. That said, I just can’t imagine how our country can hibernate through the summer...

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

May tests are already cancelled https://pages.collegeboard.org/natural-disasters

@mlktwins I’ll aim for August. Schools are not expected to be reopened until Fall so chances are slim for June. 

I agree. I am guessing that all schools will be out for the school year and will not reopen for this academic year. Aim for a later date to avoid the hassle of registering again, obtaining refunds etc.

• Like 1

We had planned for May subject tests, too, because of a potential camp the same week as the June test. I suspect if that test goes off a lot of sites will be full already (I haven't looked).

It occurred to me me they might add a later test date in July, but if the schools don't re-open, August might be the best option. We might just cut our losses on Biology Subject test, though. Right now dd doesn't plan to apply to any schools that need subject tests, and since she's interested majoring in engineering, no CLEP tests will count. I don't think Math 2 requires as much memorization, so if she takes that she can just brush up on few things.

Edited by MamaSprout
mega pre-coffee run-on sentence

6 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

We had planned for May subject tests, too, because of a potential camp the same week as the June test. I suspect if that test goes off a lot of sites will be full already (I haven't looked).

It occurred to me me they might add a later test date in July, but if the schools don't re-open, August might be the best option. We might just cut our losses on Biology Subject test, though. Right now dd doesn't plan to apply to any schools that need subject tests, and since she's interested majoring in engineering, no CLEP tests will count. I don't think Math 2 requires as much memorization, so if she takes that she can just brush up on few things.

My boys are 9th and not sure yet where they want to go?  Isn't it still good to do to kind of verify their grades?  I wanted them to take it while the info was fresh.  They are in Honors Biology and have very high A's.  That will be on their transcript, but was doing the subject test to validate my A.  I had heard some schools were looking for subject tests from homeschoolers for this reason???

Edited by mlktwins

Well, now is an appropriate time to cuss.  

My child has been working his arse off on these exams.  He has already scored a perfect SAT Math II score.  What a waste. Let’s just change the rules in the middle of the game.  But of course...

These kids have been cheated.  So. Disappointed.  They couldn’t have let us know that at the beginning of the academic year?

Edited...

I’m coming back to apologize now that I have calmed down...I am a big fan of order, and this make up the rules as we go garbage is killing me!  I do realize that there are people right now with much bigger problems.   It’s hard to remember when we are all locked into our individual bubbles.

Edited by Hadley

Well, more and more colleges are completely dropping the subject tests and some won’t even consider them.

I am not sure at this point if taking them still makes as much sense as it did couple of years ago.

We have one scheduled in June as well. If they cancel it, I am not sure if we will bother retaking it. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Well, more and more colleges are completely dropping the subject tests and some won’t even consider them.

I am not sure at this point if taking them still makes as much sense as it did couple of years ago.

We have one scheduled in June as well. If they cancel it, I am not sure if we will bother retaking it. 

We are in the same boat, and I imagine we will follow the same plan.  I did feel good about having these scores on his homeschool transcript, however.

Right now my dd is double checking her list for schools that want the subject test. She probably will go ahead and take the Math 2 in August, mostly because the process of preparing for it has been a good motivator to work through some sloppy habits, memorize the unit circle, and really master the material before Calculus.

We're going to switch gears in Biology and have her do the CLEP whenever she's done and a test center re-opens. This makes more sense because it would cover a pre-req for a higher level course she wants to take DE and we don't have to go back and re-prep for the exam in August. If she discovers she needs a science subject test, she can take it after corresponding DE chem or physics she will take.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1