Menu

Is it possible to hand sew a CDC compliant surgical mask?

mathnerd

I read that many hospitals are accepting sewn masks due to the shortages. I would like to hand-sew some surgical masks for donations and my son is going to try doing it as well (my sewing machine is acting up and I don't want to attempt fixing it at this time). My goal is to try to sew 100 masks. I am wondering if it is possible to hand sew these masks and if there are patterns that any of you can share. I am pretty clueless as to what type of cloth is acceptable for this and where to get the elastic (which is in short supply, apparently). Any tips are much appreciated.

You might check your local area hospital websites.  Some of them have preferred designs so they can use a single layer cloth mask to cover an N95 mask and make them more easily reusable.  Others are asking for you to sew a particular design and they have HEPA filter fabric they will sew into your mask to make it similar to an N95 mask.  Others have supplies and will give it to you if you'll sew the masks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

You might check your local area hospital websites.  Some of them have preferred designs so they can use a single layer cloth mask to cover an N95 mask and make them more easily reusable.  Others are asking for you to sew a particular design and they have HEPA filter fabric they will sew into your mask to make it similar to an N95 mask.  Others have supplies and will give it to you if you'll sew the masks.

Thanks. I will check if there are specific designs that they prefer.

Another idea is to call your non-emergency dispatch number and ask if police, ems, fire, or other first responders need them and if they have a preferred design.  Especially if you live in a rural area.  Some might be well stocked, others might not be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's easiest just to sew a pocket (for insertable filter material) in a simple, pleated rectangle if you're trying to make something hospital grade. I set out to make layman's masks for any local people (store clerks, etc). The ones I'm making this weekend are simply two layers of cotton but there's a pocket so it can be stuffed with a filter or even a charcoal cloth (non-woven material).

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Where would one find inserts?  We have several bandanas we would like to use for our own personal use.  The fabric is thin cotton.  

Filters are on amazon but you would also use a layer of Pellon and a dry charcoal cloth. Any non-woven fabric would do.

• Like 1

I don’t know of any hospitals that have requested fabric masks, but I do know that a hospice group in a large town in our state can’t get masks and has asked for the cloth masks, not really for virus protection, but more for general. Procedures where the hospice professionals use masks.

9 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

I don’t know of any hospitals that have requested fabric masks, but I do know that a hospice group in a large town in our state can’t get masks and has asked for the cloth masks, not really for virus protection, but more for general. Procedures where the hospice professionals use masks.

The state of WA has a major hospital network that planned to supply materials for home sewers. We are still at the BEGINNING of this crisis. The likelihood of finding a use for home sewn masks is especially high given the fact that our current trajectory is higher than Italy's.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 1

I tested out one today that my mom made using interfacing. It looks like a regular hospital mask...the kind with pleats. It includes two layers of regular calico-type material with the interfacing in between the two layers. I used it off and on for an hour and a half performing healthcare tasks for my mother. (The other part of the time, I used the same design without interfacing.) The one with interfacing was stiff, uncomfortable, hot, and difficult to breathe through. I finally had to take it off and switch to the one without interfacing, as I started to cough and felt like I wasn't getting enough air. (I was really trying to make it work too, as she has sewn up several with interfacing.) On the flip side, I wore one of the same design without interfacing for about 4-5 hours in a row over the weekend, and it was great. A little itchy (new, unwashed fabric) and caused my glasses to fog up sometimes, but totally wearable. I actually had to use two in that time frame because the first one became wet with respiration after a couple of hours of use.

This pic is the style. This particular one is made without interfacing.

ETA: The ones with interfacing are also very difficult for machines to sew through. My mom had issues with her Baby Lock sewing machine. With the folding and pleats, it's just too much. I think she trimmed down the interfacing on ones after she started having issues, so the interfacing wouldn't be included in the trim and maybe the pleats along the edges. I think that's what she told me.

54 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Filters are on amazon but you would also use a layer of Pellon and a dry charcoal cloth. Any non-woven fabric would do.

IMG_1519.jpg

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 4

JoAnn (the craft store) posted this today: https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-response/?icn=hpzhero&ici=make-to-give-response

A friend posted on FB that some local JoAnns actually have precut kits they assembled to pickup.  I haven't called my store, but apparently the friend had verified it herself. If you know you are in an area where hospitals have directly asked for help sewing, you might call and ask. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

I tested out one today that my mom made using interfacing. It looks like a regular hospital mask...the kind with pleats. It includes two layers of regular calico-type material with the interfacing in between the two layers. I used it off and on for an hour and a half performing healthcare tasks for my mother. (The other part of the time, I used the same design without interfacing.) The one with interfacing was stiff, uncomfortable, hot, and difficult to breathe through. I finally had to take it off and switch to the one without interfacing, as I started to cough and felt like I wasn't getting enough air. (I was really trying to make it work too, as she has sewn up several with interfacing.) On the flip side, I wore one of the same design without interfacing for about 4-5 hours in a row over the weekend, and it was great. A little itchy (new, unwashed fabric) and caused my glasses to fog up sometimes, but totally wearable. I actually had to use two in that time frame because the first one became wet with respiration after a couple of hours of use.

This pic is the style. This particular one is made without interfacing.

ETA: The ones with interfacing are also very difficult for machines to sew through. My mom had issues with her Baby Lock sewing machine. With the folding and pleats, it's just too much. I think she trimmed down the interfacing on ones after she started having issues, so the interfacing wouldn't be included in the trim and maybe the pleats along the edges. I think that's what she told me.

IMG_1519.jpg

Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear, I meant you COULD use interfacing as insert, not sewn in. I suppose comfort would depend on the thickness of it. Lightweight or featherweight would probably be more breathable. I haven’t tried it tho.

• Like 1

I've been sewing some.  I work as a front-line health care provider and I have lots of experience wearing and working in masks. The ones I'm making will be for personal use outside of work.  (I hope I won't need them at work!)

The one Pitterpatter posted above looks great!

The finished dimensions of the masks we wear at work are 4" tall and 6 3/4"  wide.  I took one apart.  Unsewn and stretched out, , the piece for the body of the mask is 7 1/2" tall.  That's 3 1/2 extra inches of fabric needed to make the tucks.  Some of the patterns I've seen online seem much too short to get enough coverage.  The fullness is needed so the bottom of the mask can be pulled securely around and under the chin to get a good fit and not ride up while wearing.  Once the mask is on and I'm working, I can't touch it with my hands to adjust.  A mask that rides up is beyond annoying and isn't doing its job.

Another detail that matters:  The direction of the tucks matter.  The tucks should shingle downward when viewed from the front - like the shingles of the roof -  so there are no exposed valleys to catch debris.  Some of the homemade ones I've seen have upside-down tucks.

I personally hate ear loops.  They hurt with prolonged wear, are not at all adjustable, and fight for ear space with my glasses.  I much prefer masks with ties - adjustable to get a really good fit, and don't hurt my ears after wearing them all day.  Ties should be 18" long.  Bias binding tape makes great ties.

A bit of wire sewn into the nose-bridge makes a big difference in fit.   I've used chenille stems "borrowed" from my kids.  I've seen patterns that call for plastic twist ties which I think would also work well.

I've left an opening at the bottom of the mask so that filtration material can be inserted.  I haven't figured out what I'll use for this, if anything.

ETA - the top of the mask is straight, not curved.  The wire is bent to fit around my nose, giving it a curved appearance.

IMG_5871.JPG

IMG_5872.JPG

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I read that many hospitals are accepting sewn masks due to the shortages. I would like to hand-sew some surgical masks for donations and my son is going to try doing it as well (my sewing machine is acting up and I don't want to attempt fixing it at this time). My goal is to try to sew 100 masks. I am wondering if it is possible to hand sew these masks and if there are patterns that any of you can share. I am pretty clueless as to what type of cloth is acceptable for this and where to get the elastic (which is in short supply, apparently). Any tips are much appreciated.

I read a report from Cambridge that said after actual surgical masks and vacuum cleaner filters that tea towels were the best mask fabric. 😁

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I read a report from Cambridge that said after actual surgical masks and vacuum cleaner filters that tea towels were the best mask fabric. 😁

I read that too but they are also the hardest to breath through so they aren't recommended.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

Do hospitals have a way to sanitize homemade masks before use?  I would love to help sew, and my girls probably would, too—but we have a cough at our house (probably just a cold, but you never know).

The ones being sewn by a furniture company in WA will be sanitized by UV at the hospital prior to use.

6 hours ago, City Mouse said:

California, Bakersfield: Taft Omni Health Center - Seeking sewn masks. They may be sent to Taft Omni Health Center, 12014 Manorwood Street, Bakersfield, CA 93311 Attn: Analu Montez.

California, Oakland: Disability Justice Culture Club - Seeking masks for distribution to disabled, unhoused, poor and other highly vulnerable people. Hand-sewn masks accepted. Drop off location is near 87th and Bancroft in Oakland. Please call in advance to arrange drop-off day/time and get the address: 301-741-6186.

Deaconess Health System in Indiana asks for hand sewn masks: https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/03/18/coronavirus-deaconess-ask-public-provide-medical-face-masks/2865273001/

Providence Hospital in Washington State asks for hand sewn masks: https://www.providence.org/lp/100m-masks

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Dh and I have been investigating mask ideas. 

I have a friend that works at a hospital and sews. She said that hospital got more than enough donations. Her personal advice was don’t even use elastic. Use fabric ties. Her spouse modeled a mask she made. It had a seam down the front. So I’ve looked up a tutorial more along that style. But I’m sure everyone has different preferences. 

I’m not sure if the center seam is necessary (could you do two large pieces instead of 4 small?). I may be able to use elastic here but afraid cutting it may make it fray. I only have wide elastic. 

I prefer the behind the head straps vs behind just the ear. Looks way more comfortable imo. I haven’t tried to make one yet. 

it was recommended in the comment section to do a plain color for the inside of the mask to more easily tell the sides apart so you don’t set it down and put back on backwards (eek!!). I don’t own the right fabric in solids, though. 

Many have suggested a little wire to go over top of nose sewn in. Pipe cleaner, bread tie, craft wire (like from floral arrangement), etc). Roughly 4 inches. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=0h11m21s&v=6hpzLQTy-SA

This is what I’m gonna have dh print that we will test out on a mask as a possible quick mask hack. But insteed of a paper towel is fabric and instead of rubber bands try some sort of fabric or elastic. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4218338

As for CDC grade, well, I’m not expecting that. I have heard duck and twill are good outer fabrics. I have some duck but most of my fabric is fat quarters (so quilting fabric??). I’m a complete novice. Just fumbling through articles and posts on this. 

Wash fabric in hot water first to avoid shrinkage later. 

Here’s another video I like minus the short straps. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TL9D6ZFtZHM&feature=youtu.be

Lastly, I heard JoAnn’s refuses to close at the detriment of their workers. They can’t clean their fabric bolts tat customers sneeze and cough in. Curbside pick up makes sense but they aren’t limiting it to that. So for that reason I’d say maybe don’t shop there. I signed a petition about it after reading a worker’s story. 

The mask you described is pretty much what I made. I used solid white inside and colored cotton flannel outside. My DH was my test frog. I ended up using grosgrain ribbon for ties. I did omit the pipe cleaner tho b/c when I started I couldn’t find my stash.

6BACBA82-F407-4112-A441-F8AF36EA05CC.jpeg

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

My question with the seam down the middle, is it bothersome from the inside? 

I don't think it's a problem because I stitched the right sides together so both seams are turned inward. DH said it was perfectly comfy. Honestly, I picked the flannel b/c it was soft, the print was fun, and the weave a bit tighter with the extra fluff but less heavy than twill. No super deep thoughts behind it.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mathnerd said:

California, Bakersfield: Taft Omni Health Center - Seeking sewn masks. They may be sent to Taft Omni Health Center, 12014 Manorwood Street, Bakersfield, CA 93311 Attn: Analu Montez.

California, Oakland: Disability Justice Culture Club - Seeking masks for distribution to disabled, unhoused, poor and other highly vulnerable people. Hand-sewn masks accepted. Drop off location is near 87th and Bancroft in Oakland. Please call in advance to arrange drop-off day/time and get the address: 301-741-6186.

Deaconess Health System in Indiana asks for hand sewn masks: https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/03/18/coronavirus-deaconess-ask-public-provide-medical-face-masks/2865273001/

Providence Hospital in Washington State asks for hand sewn masks: https://www.providence.org/lp/100m-masks

Thanks for those links. I haven’t had any luck getting elastic, but I found a pattern using bias tape for ties.

Just now, heartlikealion said:

In the first video I linked, they didn’t show her turn the mask right side out and I got confused. Thought she left the extra seam fabric facing out touching the face! Lol 

LOL, no, I literally used beginning sewing 101 techniques. After sewing the right-side two halves together, I stitched along the top and bottom, also right sides together and turned the corner about a half inch. Then all I had to do was iron it flat, fold over the casing, and stitch the casing closed. One ribbon on each side, (which can be gathered) was all it took.

DD and I sent a bunch to our local hospital - they have a laundry bin right at the front door and take them immediately to laundry. The nurses were VERY thankful. I know they are not the "right thing" that they really need, but the nurses said they are a LOT better than nothing, and allow the N95's that they do have to go higher up the priority chain.

I have elastic on the way and will make more when it arrives.

• Like 2

My sister works in a hospital (direct patient contact) and I am making my first ones for her.  She asked for a surgical type mask that she could get up as close to her eyes as possible.  She said would prefer ribbon ties over elastic and then we decided on tshirt strips for ties so they have a little more give.  Washing my fabric today.

• 2 weeks later...