Menu

Cozy, easy audiobooks (for the one thing we are allowed to do now)?

madteaparty

(Walking alone) I have many downloaded but don’t have the bandwidth for much.

i scrolled through my list and the last three I really enjoyed are Fleischman is in trouble (about a NYC couple getting a horrific divorce—it feels almost comical now, but it was a good listen), Little Fires Everywhere and Marie Antoinette by Antonia Frazier.

what now? Is Love in a Cold Climate a good listen? Some Agatha Christie? (I’ve read nothing from her, it’s not usually my thing).

I'm enjoying "My Dear Hamilton", a historical fiction based on source documents told from the perspective of Alexander Hamilton's wife, Elizabeth. 

If you like Julie Andrews, her two memoirs are fascinating (read by Julie). They're titled "Home", and "Home Work"

I love anything by Jodi Picoult or Barbara Kingsolver.

"Dodge & Twist" is a wonderful story about the artful Dodger and Oliver Twist meeting up as young adults (an Audible original, I think)

Of course, all of the Harry Potter books are wonderful, as are the Tolkien books. We love the Inheritance series as well (dragons). 

• Like 1

Longmire series.  Some are a little more serious than others but there's a dry whit the runs through each of the books.  The narrator really captures it well

"As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.  About the making of The Princess Bride

Just about anything by David Sedaris-  "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is a classic!

"Cloud Atlas"  by David Mitchell.  Loved the audio, the book, and the movie wasn't too bad either.

Non-Fiction:

"Origin Story: The Big History of  Everything"  loved this book by David Christian. I think it helps me put a lot of all this terrible stuff into perspective.

"The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World" by Garland.   It's a Great Course.  If you can get past his odd staccato delivery it's very good and captivating. 

Edited by PrincessMommy

3 hours ago, OKBud said:

The Lady Hardcastle mysteries is a cozier place to start than Agatha Christie.  There's another super fan in the hive 🙂 

The Cycle of Arawn is a wonderful epic fantasy. It's not gory. And it follows two characters from childhood to adulthood, which I absolutely love. I've re-listened to this one and am now listening to the sequel series. 

For a different kind of vibe, the stand-alone book, City of Thieves, is really good. My husband loved it too. 

A Gentleman in Moscow is a nice, calm novel that follows a life under a particular kind of duress...being stuck at home lol... while alluding to what is going on in the wider world. 

Amazon had the first Hardcastle mystery for free, and I'm enjoying it! Thanks! I needed something light.

I love audiobooks! 

News of the World by Paulette Jiles - it used to be on audible but isn't showing up? Maybe you could find it through your library overdrive/hoopla/Libby system?

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah - Fascinating memoir of growing up biracial in South Africa; Noah is so funny and charming.

Sylvester by Georgette Heyer - I listened to the one read by Richard Armitage (swoon!) - it's abridged but the story doesn't suffer from that at all. 

Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi - aliens arrive on earth and hire a Hollywood agent to help introduce them to humans. It's very lighthearted and fun and Will Wheaton narrates.

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot - Another great listen 🙂

Hope you find something that catches your fancy!