Menu

Who's going to tackle Sunday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

Good morning! Gray and chilly here. 

• Family worship later. Bumped to tonight.
  • Small group worship time online this morning.  Our pastor's message was really good and it was nice to sing and pray together. 
  • Shower
  • Work on Zoom to figure out how to tutor a very active 7 yo tomorrow. 
  • Reorganize my freezer
  • Finish reading a book and listen to a podcast about it.
  • Call mom
  • Walk
  • Dinner is chx cordon bleu casserole (over egg noodles for kids)  roasted Brussels sprouts, garlicy green beans. 
Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

Good morning!

Margaret, I hope you got some good, restful sleep. Can the BF check cows sometimes at night? And the DD? Surely more grown-ups home means more people can go out at night besides just you. 

I have a LOT to do today. Ack. This "just put everything online" business is HARD. Well, not hard so much as time consuming. 

So, today:
...watched 2 episodes of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with DH to wake up
...working on 2nd cup of coffee
...got dressed 

And now need to:
....make a practice video to figure out where/how/upload/etc
....make the real videos -- K History, K Science, K Language Arts lesson, K Math lesson, 1st Grade History, 1st Grade Science, 1st Grade Language Arts, 1st Grade Math, Craft Tutorial for K/1st
...upload said videos
...if there be any time left over, SEW -- I finished the rows for my son's quilt, and now MUST do my Round Robin project so we can swap off (drive-through style) this week
...lunch: BBQ brisket sandwiches
....dinner: Fend For Yourself? 
...tonight: probably buying Onward via Amazon Prime and watching it

Wish me luck! Diving into technology.....let's hope I can do this!

• Like 7

Good morning! And Good Luck @TheReader!

so far I’m working on my first cup of coffee and have put a pot roast, potatoes, and carrots in the oven to slow cook for late lunch

online church (first time—we’ll see how it goes!)

walk dogs (whenever the rain takes a break)

working on pantry clean out/taking inventory of what I have 

FitnessBlender stretch/wind down video

relax—read; maybe try to find a new show to start on Netflix or Prime (I haven’t found a new one since finishing The Durrells)

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Reader, you are right, switching to online teaching is laborious!! 

I honestly cannot imagine the college profs, etc, all doing it. I mean, I'm doing 2 three-hour little classes, and it's so.much.work. Now, part of that is the age group -- my son's classes are all doing Zoom class sessions, which is certainly easier/closer to what they'd be doing normally, but no way can I ask 5 & 6 yr olds to sit in front of a computer for 3 hours, LOL! 

Now, I don't mind doing it. The parents are, after all, still paying us tuition. And I love my kiddos. And I love what I do. And it's kind of fun; honestly, I may start doing these accompanying power points all the time (ha!) at least for some of it. And I'm grateful my kiddos' parents have been patient while I figure out the learning curve of "how do I get all of this info to you, in a way that works??" 

Anyway, mad props to the people doing this for full classes, college stuff, etc. 

(test run #1 shows that for the history portion, my audio voice-over on the power point is better than me trying to read the book to them, so that takes 2 videos off the list.... yay! And DH figured out I need "unlisted" vs. "private" setting on youtube, so that's good. Now to figure out whether to use computer camera or phone camera and start tutorials.....)

• Like 4

Happy Sunday!

• We were at my sister's house until 1:something am and then drove home for an hour.
  • I did a wee bit of housework and then watched youtube until I got too tired.
  • Slept roughly 4 hours.  I still might be the only person awake, yay.
  • Switched out laundry.
  • Coffee 1.
  • Looked into blood donations.  Might go tomorrow since I'm low on sleep today.
  • Caught up on calendar, emails, social media, news, and reading my kids' texts.

To do:

• Lots of client work.
  • Kids need to get their homework up to date & ahead.
  • Lots of housework and organizing.
  • Inventory the cupboards re food so our resident shopaholics don't buy stuff we don't already have.
  • Exercise, including a walk or run somewhere.
  • Laundry.
  • Whatever else gets done.
  • Like 5

Good morning! I have been up for a while with coffee and a book.

Next week is Spring Break for dd2 and ds3. They are pretty bored already- the snow and cold hasn't helped.

ds2 starts his online work Tuesday. His classes are so small (9-15) that they are using video conferencing for most of them and they spent last week testing it.

Several of his exams moved to oral exams over Skype rather than in class timed writing and for a kid with dysgraphia that is huge. So that's good for him.

No idea what today holds- keeping the house clean and the kids' spirits up. And checking the garden after the snow melts.

• Like 4

Good morning.  Last night was a bad pain night but "joy comes in the morning".  😉

human care is done

pet care is done

medical care is done

Dh is running around like a madman trying to get ready to preach from home.  It will be strange to have him teaching downstairs in his study while I am logged in upstairs in the living room! 

• Like 6

Good morning!

• cut dh's hair
  • work things - print out documents showing that we have permission to be open (to keep on hand in case anyone questions/complains), write letters for our employees to carry with them while they travel to and from work, make a sign for the door saying that no one may enter except employees
  • get more cleaning supplies together to take to work
  • order a few things from Amazon (tahini, rice vinegar, almond butter)
  • plan my week
  • come up with a couple more dinner ideas
  • dinner: vegetable dumpling stew

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@TheReader

Did you see the video clip of the college prof singing "I Will Survive", about teaching online? 

It is on the memes thread.

Totally hilarious and true!!

I did! It was hilarious, and yes, so very true! 

I managed about half the videos. Two-thirds? I have no idea. 

Original list was:
K History -- cancelled, will do audio over the power point instead
K Science -- done, took them on a tour of our fruit trees to look at flower parts close-up, and we said hi to my kitty; they got to see apple flower, lemon flowers & baby lemons, and peach flowers
K/1st Flower Craft Tutorial -- done, and they will be able to follow along with a mini-kit I'm sending via the mail (felt flower petals, pipe cleaner stamens & stem, no glue needed)
K Language Arts -- done, learning the letter Ee, and doing a vowel review game where we swap out the vowel in assorted CVC words
1st Language Arts -- done, learning "Magic Ee" (oh, ha, I need to still edit this one....), & "A vs An"

Still to do:
1st Math -- place value, counting by 10s
K Math -- subtraction stuff (need to look and see what the actual lesson is)
1st History -- cancelled, will do audio on the power point instead
1st Science -- I think also will stick to audio for this one, b/c it's making a periscope and I've given them a PDF step-by-step with a printable template, pictures, etc., and there's not much I can really *demo* on this one, either

I think this will be good. I hope. Back to editing and then a break and then more filming. DH is handling "push play" on the phone while I "teach" the dining room, and he's uploading to my brand new, just for this YT channel (unlisted) so I can share the videos. And he made more coffee. And worked out tech difficulties earlier when the iphone didn't want to talk to the computer and share the videos with it. He's a good guy.

I do not think I'll do any sewing today after all, although I did cut the pieces (or, the starts of the pieces). 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Half my family is up the canyon, on snowmobiles, feeding yaks! We have a fellow that we sell hay to. He has the yaks to keep his place in ag, and he puts out new hay every 4 weeks or so and they eat snow (what yaks do). Normally, the guy comes in to feed, but no second home owners are allowed in the valley, so dh, dd, and the bf (who owns a snowmobile place) are up feeding. Only here... 

Margaret, we need yak pictures!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We had church online. Dh figured it out. 

Now we are picking up new-to-us pews an hour away. Pray that this goes ok. Dh and another man moved them all outside and disinfected them all. The guy who is supposed to help us transport them just showed and I am not totally sure how he's going to fit them all on his trailer. 

• Like 4

Praying for the pews to load easily, well, all fit, etc., Jean. 

I took a nap. Got the last language art video edited, and thinking through what to do for the math lesson; we usually do a hands-on, interactive game style thing for math in both classes....I may have to get one of my kids to volunteer to help play. Or something. I also feel like we're repeating a lesson for some reason but that makes no sense, so....? Maybe just remembering the same concept from last year or the other class or......bah. Who knows. 

I feel much better after some rest. 

• Like 4

Got some work things done, a little cleaning, and some laundry.

Just harvested my first tray of wasabi hot mustard microgreens. They have a little bit of zing and should be good on sandwiches.

I talked to the farrier and he is going to come over tomorrow to look at ds21's horse, who is limping. I think this should be okay because we'll be outside and will stand far apart.

We got a call from our county's automated emergency system. The first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in our little county (not little area-wise, but low population). There are several cases in adjacent counties as well.

• Like 4

Just heard from a friend that three restaurants, all owned and run by a family I know in another city, have closed their doors and gone out of business.  Three generations worked there. Thirty years of work and investment and great local food and community, over because of two weeks of heavy restriction on movement and economic activity.Because they were "unneccessary". Over 100 people unemployed. This restaurant business was also a ministry. They hired recent ex cons and gave them a fresh start learning to cook. Restaurants work on VERY slim margins, esp. ones who source their food carefully and are not large corporations.

So sad. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Sad 4

Okay, I uploaded all the videos that are done so far. Added audio to all the power points. Figured out a thing I can do for the science video for 1st grade that will be short but fun (w/o having to make the periscope, ha!). Now to look over the math assignments, prep, and make those videos. I'm going to have to remember not to save "video making" for Sunday next week.....oye. 

Also I need to figure out about iCloud storage....I thought I didn't ever use it/have it turned off/etc, but apparently when I first tried to import my photos to my computer, I overloaded my allotted cloud storage. I have an alert on my phone, and an email. I need to find that, clear it out, etc. I have no idea how/where to even locate it. DH will know, I'm sure, but I did not need another chore. 

• Like 4