Menu

Has this happened to anyone else?

sweet2ndchance

I had to make a run for groceries today. I got in the store and the smell about knocked me over. It smelled like hospital sanitizer on steroids. That was probably just me because no one else seemed to notice the super strong smell.

Everything they had cleaned though that I had to touch, my hands or whatever I touched it with would start this cold burning feeling. Kinda similar to skin products with menthol in them or the way Blistex feels when you put it on. Just feels cool but it also burns. Anyone else had that issue? Anyone know what they are using to clean and sanitize everything at Walmart? Just wondering if there is something in it that I am allergic to (I have a laundry list of allergies and sensitivities) or if other people notice the feeling too.

I have problems with fragrance and toxic chemical products, so I am very limited as to where I can go even with no CV19.  Walmart is generally not a place I can go.  So can’t say specifically regarding Walmart. 

Walmart, I believe, has fragrance products dispersed through some central air system. Maybe they have added disinfectants to that. 

However, even what had been a few very tolerable to me grocery stores or supermarket (so long as I avoided a few aisles or areas) are now becoming almost intolerable due to all the cleaning product. 

I am glad that they are doing a lot of cleaning, but in some instances it looks like employees are doing more of spraying the stuff in the air in a show of dutiful Lots of Industrious Cleaning, rather than washing and wiping surfaces.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I worked for Walmart for a short time about 10 years ago. We just cleaned the registers with Windex. They had definitely been cleaned differently when I went yesterday. The shine was different and the smell of course. It just had this industrial sanitizing solution smell throughout the store.

When I was a customer service manager at a chain grocery store, I had to have my cashier clean their registers before they left for the night. If a register was out of cleaner, they were to go get another off the shelf and bring it to me so I could put it on our write off sheet and then go clean their register. If I had a nickel for every time I had to send a girl back because they got the most heavily scented one off the shelf when they had been told repeatedly to get unscented... well let's just say I wouldn't have worked for the grocery store nearly as long as I did with all those nickels lol.

• Like 1

When I use Clorox wipes at home I get a cold numb feeling on my fingers. It's more than just having wet fingers, it almost makes my fingers itch with the numbness. I can use a few wipes before it starts, but if I get ambitious and clean all our white baseboard trim, the sensation doesn't stop until I finish and wash my hands. It's not due to the smell of the wipes, it's contact with the cleaning fluid. I still use the wipes because they're handy and I feel like they work. 

I was in our Walmart yesterday and noticed no cleaning odors. There was an employee spraying and wiping freezer door handles and there was no cleaning odor coming from him at all. 

Now I will say that DH picked up a bottle of hand sanitizer from Target today and the smell from THAT is really irritating my throat right now. Maybe that's why it was left on the shelf?? Usually I'm not overly sensitive to smells but I soak my feet daily in scented epsom salts and I will not get this rose-scented bag again due to it irritating my throat. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sarahbobeara said:

It's not due to the smell of the wipes, it's contact with the cleaning fluid.

Yeah the smell is what hit me first (but I've been told I have a super sensitive nose because I'm always smelling things others do not) and then the touching things that had been cleaned  like handles and such is what gave that burning sensation. I didn't mean to insinuate that it was the fragrance that did it (it really wasn't a perfumed smell, it was just pure unscented industrial sanitizer like they use in hospitals) it was most definitely the cleaning fluid I was reacting to. Maybe it's because I live so close to corporate that they seem to being going the extra mile to sanitize things here. None of the other stores I've been to around here have that smell or that effect on my skin. We've only had one confirmed case of the virus in my county which makes it even more odd that they are going so heavy on the cleaning at Walmart... *shrug*