Menu

Camping with COVID in the area...yay or nay?

LarlaB

We rent RV trailers as one of our income sources.   Every upcoming trip has been cancelled. Sigh.

We are thinking of going camping locally (45 minutes away) next week- the weather is looking lively!  Previously we were considering tent camping but now thinking the trailer would be even nicer and warmer at night.  To us, being nature is just the BEST.

It’s a state park campground and has 190+ sites with only 15 currently available.  It’s a very open space and our only contact with others would be the restroom.

Would you have any reservations about going camping RE COVID crap?

I think a plan should be in place for where to go for medical care if somebody gets hurt. OTOH being only 45 minutes from home, it would be easy to evacuate if they closed suddenly, so that's a plus. I'd consider something like that.

I have no idea why camping would be particularly unwise or ill advised because of covid. In fact, it has definitely occurred to me that I wish I had an RV I could pack up with my kiddos and go be on our own for awhile in the woods instead of so close to so many people in our neighborhood.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 3

Yes the trailer has a toilet and shower- we generally only use public toilet for solid waste when we don’t have water hookup.  Preference, not necessity. 

Yes the campground is still open.   Several here are.... Private and state run.  I know some smaller areas (Moab UT) have completely closed hotels and campgrounds to non residents. 

Yes I am higher risk with being on blood thinners (Don’t know why that’s a risk) and mild asthma- well controlled.  

I would not go group camping right now with the intent to hang out with others.  That would defeat all of the isolation we’ve done so far. Our version of camping is extremely antisocial in normal times LOL.  
It would be a nice break from all the buzzzzz....

• Like 1

I am not much of a camper in the best of times (Mosquitos ❤️ me), but if you like camping it sounds fine to me.  I would drive 45 minutes locally without too much thought so distance to medical care doesn’t seem like a major issue.

Self contained camping (with no high risk activity such as rock climbing) sounds okay to me.  What would be the issue?  Vehicle crash? I guess drive very carefully.  Maybe that the RV might be infected from a prior guest?  I guess wipe it down with soap and water, etc, first.  

????

39 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

+1. 

Go camping. Don't eat any bats in the woods. Enjoy your trip. 

I am trying to figure out...are people thinking covid is like that Stephen King movie about the mist???

I have someone in my life who is very shortly going to be in a very high risk situation vis-a-vis this virus. I am kind of scared witless about it. But camping???

ETA: Sorry, I don't mean to be dismissive or snarky to the OP, but some of this I cannot figure out. Okay, a lot of it.

Edited by EmseB

20 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I am trying to figure out...are people thinking covid is like that Stephen King movie about the mist???

I have someone in my life who is very shortly going to be in a very high risk situation vis-a-vis this virus. I am kind of scared witless about it. But camping???

ETA: Sorry, I don't mean to be dismissive or snarky to the OP, but some of this I cannot figure out. Okay, a lot of it.

To be blunt, I did this for my own entertainment and curiosity.  I’m 100% comfortable with camping. It’s not a safety concern for us but I’ve noticed such diverse reactions to so many COVID things I was curious.  But I can see, given the atmosphere, how it could seem like I’m worked up over an insignificant thing.  It’s more I’m trying to distract myself.

Sure, I am higher risk physically and very aware of my at risk vulnerable parents in a retirement community out of state. I have legitimate concerns.  But I’m SCARED WITLESS financially.  The financial fallout is a reality for my household (we are 100% small business) and I literally have no idea what we will do.  So, its not a “what if I get sick” future anxiety scenario- the financial crumble is already happening for us.  And right now, I am trying to distract myself. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I would say no. This virus is very contagious (I live in the epicenter of this infection with deaths reported all the time). I use disinfectant when I pump gas and when I touch produce. I am not sure if your RV might need gas or if you might need to pick up supplies while camping.

All this is moot if your state enforces a shelter-in-place order which explicitly says that no travel is allowed for non-essential activities which recreational camping will fall under.

3 hours ago, EmseB said:

It depends on the location.  I have a friend of a friend who is in charge of campgrounds who is upset and frustrated by all the people tent camping in very close quarters and who keep coming right up to the camp host and rangers with no social distancing at all.  In their situation camping is not a safe activity but one where people are exchanging city close quarters for campground close quarters.  Being outside does provide a bit of relief from droplet spread just because of air circulation but just like playgrounds here are roped off now because people were congregating on them in large groups and all touching the same non-sanitized surfaces, people are not always thinking clearly about this. 

It depends on where you are. We are not supposed to leave the house except for essentials. Camping is not essential. Exercise is supposed to be walking, cycling, or running near your home alone or with one other person with whom you are always at least 1.5 meters apart. I guess if you are in an area which still allows recreation like camping you should probably go and enjoy while you still can. This is going to be a long haul.

You can walk as a family closer, yes. In the urban areas police are watching and issuing fines. So they will stop you if they aren't sure and explain the rules. This is what I'm seeing in the news. Someone on our local facebook group was stopped while driving her adult daughter to the doctor because the daughter was sitting in the front passenger seat. She was supposed to be in the back seat. Should be no more than two people in the car but an exception is made for families with children. I imagine it is hard for police to know who is in the car so they stop you if they are unsure. Best to go out alone. We are in a rural area so I haven't seen much enforcement. People are definitely doing things like walking on opposite sides of the street. Lately I also heard sitting around on park benches is not allowed. So basically it is go out your door for a walk, don't sit down anywhere, come directly back inside. 

Assuming you're using your own facilities, have plenty of soap to maintain good hand hygiene, etc., then my only hesitation would be the (perhaps) slightly increased risk of some type of injury versus staying at home. I'm thinking sprained ankles and things like that. This is not the time you want to have to go to an ER, and maybe not even an urgent care. Otherwise--I'd go and enjoy the break.

• Like 1

I am thinking about going camping some place too with my dh.  The camping itself is a low risk as long as you are not close together.  I agree with others that this is not a time to do risky activities;  But my type of camping would be going on a walk to look at plants and watch the birds/

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Lol, this is my now daily diatribe to my kids: “stop running in the house because we are NOT going to the ER right now!” 

I will tell you how serious it is -- DH's oncologist has decided the best/safest thing for him for the next few months is to suspend his cancer treatment in order to keep him from having to come in to the cancer center for infusions, and to eliminate the risk of side effects that might land him in the hospital. Now we're "lucky"--his stage IV cancer has so far been relatively indolent. But Covid 19 is scary enough that his oncologist is more concerned about it--and overworked staff/chaotic hospitals--than cancer progression.

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

You mentioned Moab so I assume you are in Utah? With a self sufficient RV you could skip the offical campground altogether and just stay on open land (wherever it’s legal of course). I agree this is not the time to risk an ER visit, but it’s not the time to sink into depression either. We all have to weigh our personal risks.

I'd do about anything to hike in the wide open peacefulness and beauty of Utah right now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I will tell you how serious it is -- DH's oncologist has decided the best/safest thing for him for the next few months is to suspend his cancer treatment in order to keep him from having to come in to the cancer center for infusions, and to eliminate the risk of side effects that might land him in the hospital. Now we're "lucky"--his stage IV cancer has so far been relatively indolent. But Covid 19 is scary enough that his oncologist is more concerned about it--and overworked staff/chaotic hospitals--than cancer progression.

((Pawz))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Lol, this is my now daily diatribe to my kids: “stop running in the house because we are NOT going to the ER right now!” 

This. DS (barefoot as usual) dropped a glass plate last night and it shattered. DH and I at the same moment: "FREEZE!"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LarlaB said:

To be blunt, I did this for my own entertainment and curiosity.  I’m 100% comfortable with camping. It’s not a safety concern for us but I’ve noticed such diverse reactions to so many COVID things I was curious.  But I can see, given the atmosphere, how it could seem like I’m worked up over an insignificant thing.  It’s more I’m trying to distract myself.

Sure, I am higher risk physically and very aware of my at risk vulnerable parents in a retirement community out of state. I have legitimate concerns.  But I’m SCARED WITLESS financially.  The financial fallout is a reality for my household (we are 100% small business) and I literally have no idea what we will do.  So, its not a “what if I get sick” future anxiety scenario- the financial crumble is already happening for us.  And right now, I am trying to distract myself. 

I am one of the people who tends to urge “stay home” but a self contained RV taken 45 minutes away from your home base and not socializing while there seems pretty  low risk to me—unlikely to add any additional load to hospitals as compared to staying home.  If you are already an asymptomatic carrier you’re unlikely to spread it. And if you are still free of it you are unlikely to get it from someone else.  Since you are probably familiar with driving an RV, a crash doesn’t seem especially likely. Etc

And if you are taking pleasant low key walks in nature the physical, emotional, spiritual benefits of that seem like they would far outweigh the potential low risks. 

Maybe you could change your business model to CV19 emotional, spiritual, and physical health retreats.  ? 

Offer super duper pre disinfection of the RVs...   And a chance to get into nature for a renewal and low news time.  Maybe go as groups to same camping place (with 2 meters separation to always be maintained between non family members).    ???

If I had been thinking to rent an RV and then CV came up, I’d probably cancel because I’d be afraid I would not know how to manage a new experience and would not want to have to get physically close to others to seek help. I wouldn’t know how to set it up, would be wary of backing it, not sure about the waste disposal etc.  

If there were an experienced RV person available to ask, and a sense of security in a group, but not a close proximity group, and I trusted the clean up, I might feel like it would be a lot healthier to have a get-away like that than, say, being stuck long term in a little city apartment.  (ETA: A chance to get natural sunshine safely could be another plus.) 

Lemonade from lemons???? 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

This. DS (barefoot as usual) dropped a glass plate last night and it shattered. DH and I at the same moment: "FREEZE!"

Last night we walked/biked around the neighborhood. I'm usually the killjoy when it comes to things like riding bikes with no hands, but last night DH was on the kids for everything. "I'm not taking you to the emergency room!" was said more than once. 

But back on topic, I would RV camp no problem, and I'm kind of in the paranoid camp about COVID19. Isolation is isolation, whether at home or in an RV. And while camping, you'd at least have a different slice of nature to enjoy.

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 1

As a person who lives in small town that is tourist destination, I would ask that you bring everything you need with you and not plan on shopping at your destination. 
The small stores in our area were devastated when the tourists decided to stock up on their way home. While it may seem silly to some to have the campgrounds and state parks close, we are very glad here. Now our store may be able to recover and have enough products for the locals.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pippen said:

I'd go, but I would use the RV restroom and shower this time. 

Yes, if you can do it and social distance, sure. 

10 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It depends on the location.  I have a friend of a friend who is in charge of campgrounds who is upset and frustrated by all the people tent camping in very close quarters and who keep coming right up to the camp host and rangers with no social distancing at all.  In their situation camping is not a safe activity but one where people are exchanging city close quarters for campground close quarters.  Being outside does provide a bit of relief from droplet spread just because of air circulation but just like playgrounds here are roped off now because people were congregating on them in large groups and all touching the same non-sanitized surfaces, people are not always thinking clearly about this. 

THIS is why most places shut down camping. Because  people are idiots and don't follow the rules, and hang out in big groups. And because of the public bathrooms - they can't keep them sanitized enough. 

• Like 1