Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
klmama

Are you keeping distance between people in your home?

Attempting to.  

My ds came home with...something... probably a bad common cold .  

I am trying to keep at least 3 feet away (6 or more when possible) from his breathing end. (I gave a foot rub while watching a video before bed) . . 

He is still somewhat affected by the teachers who told the kids CV19  is no big deal— less bad than flu, ...

I don’t think he likely has CV19, but I don’t want a bad common cold either.   

Ironically it’s his first cold or whatever it is of the year.  I suspect close time with buddies, too much sugar, too little sleep, and too little good nutrition.  Anyway assuming he wants to live at home, he’s On CV19 “lockdown” for who knows how long.  

And I’m giving as wide birth as I can in a small house. 

It looks like a fair bit of stepping out of the way. 

I'm trying to minimize time spent with my mother, who is 70 and uses oxygen, since I'm our designated go-outside-r. (I'm also the designated cook, so I'm not entirely sure how well this is working.)

• Like 1

No.  None of us have compromised immune systems and we are healthy.  One of my kids had a cold/flu thing last week but it has gone away and none of the rest of us got it,.

No. 
We are almost always in the same room as each other (by choice). Right now we have 3 laptops and all of our work on the dining room table, where we are spending most of the day.  DS has his schoolwork and DH and I are working from home.

DS and I were talking about this yesterday, that we are lucky because we are already accustomed to a homeschool routine (though he’s been at the public high school for 3 years) so it’s familiar, we are all introverts, and we all genuinely like each other. 😊

While we do have private areas in our house, it really isn’t set up for isolation. 

• Like 1

No.  I have four kids ages 7 and under. Our concept of social distancing is to wipe your nose on a tissue, not me.

• Like 9
  • Haha 19

Yes, because of dd back from France. 

Yes, I had to fly back from our mission trip early because our middle one (23) had to leave seminary with a flu-like illness.  His best friend and kids had tested positive for the flu, but he did not.  He had fever and body aches.  Our family friend and family doc called in tamiflu for him. So I kept him in his room and brought him meals.  The fever was gone by the time he got here. (lasted a couple of days where he was) The rare times he came out, he came out with a mask and gloves.  By the time my husband and daughter came home, he felt absolutely fine.  But my husband and daughter felt absolutely fine until they hit our area on the 4 hour drive home.  Sore throat and body aches.  ( no one else on the trip has felt that) No fever.  No cough.  No shortness of breath) So... son is only using his bathroom.  Husband and daughter share our bathroom and I get the half bath.  I am using the bathtub in our bathroom only.  Husband and daughter are using the shower.  Hubby and I had the flu shot, but daughter did not and at 18 we did not feel like we could force her, so both were given tamiflu by our doc. 

I have been fixing all the meals and cleaning everything up.  Hubby is using his study.  We have watched movies together but everyone has their designated seating areas.  I've already run out of one big thing of sanatizing wipes.  I change towels 3 times a day in the kitchen. I'm wiping everything down multiple times a day.

One thing that is frustrating is not knowing.  Middle son is 100 percent better and has been fro several days.  I am pretty positive he did not have Covid.  It lasted way too short. My husband and my daughter normally suffer from allergies this time of year, but the body aches they had at the begininning don't match that.  However, now that they are here with pollen blowing in the wind, my daughter feels absolutely fine with the exception of her normal allergy symptoms.  My husband has not and is dragging. Neither of them ever ran a fever.  My husband is now blowing out yellow snot, ( which is normal in allergy season) and our doc ordered him a zpack yesterday. 

As I've researched, Covid seems to show itself in a variety of ways in a variety of people which I do not understand.   Some have no symptoms at all, so for all we know, I could have it..  And how long after you have it are you not contagious???  How long do I continue doing this?

Our 25 yo is a computer programmer working from home 4 hours away and was wanting to come home this weekend.  This is the son who suffers from depression and social anxiety and was hospitalized in college.  He has been doing really well and on meds and seeing his psych and a counselor.  But this is freaking him out some.  He has no one there.  I would like for him to come here for mental health, but is he safe physically?   Oh, and did I mention that my husband, oldest and daughter have asthma? 

So yes, we are taking precautions, but for how long? We still have a week of our own self-quarantine. When I went to the drive thru pharmacy yesterday to pick up the zpack, I got drinks at Sonic in the drive through.  I wiped down the cups and poured them in one of our containers when I got home.  I put on hand sanitizer after she gave me my change.  My children laugh at me.   We would go walking or outside on our farm, but cannot with all of the pollen blowing in the air.  It is supposed to storm all day today, so maybe that will help.

57 minutes ago, medawyn said:

No.  I have four kids ages 7 and under. Our concept of social distancing is to wipe your nose on a tissue, not me.

Bingo.

• Like 1

No. It's not possible. I have a 2yr old who would cross contaminate the rest of us even if we all tried. Like Hadley's, my oldest is doing a great job of self isolating, but that's his normal behavior. Even he might get bored soon enough. 

• Like 1

I would try and quarantine an exposed person if need be. We have a split level, so I suppose I'd make the basement the sick area.

Day to day otherwise? No way. The latest I've heard indicates that the vast, vast majority of cases spread through aerosol. 6 feet is not enough space. Anyone in the same room can be infected. Trying to distance in the home is not even kinda worth it.

• Like 1

My two youngest siblings have been self-isolating in our basement apartment since coming home from abroad last week, but the rest of our family is not keeping any distance from one another. It doesn't seem possible long-term with five school-aged kids. We will split up (upstairs v. downstairs) if someone becomes sick or comes in close contact. 

• Like 1

Not presently.

DS and I had (confirmed) Flu A a week ago, and we stayed separate.  DH and DD slept until the basement rec room, and we used separate bathrooms.  Food was brought to our rooms, and we wore masks.  79 yr old mother stayed in her room.

If one of us becomes ill again, we will probably do the same.

No. We've all been the same places. If one of us came down with symptoms, we would isolate that person in a bedroom. I am cleaning and disinfecting more. We are all mostly healthy. I am concerned about dh who has asthma and he is the only one who is out and about as he delivers groceries/food through delivery services. 

No.  My boys have not been out since Thursday, me since Sunday, and DH since Monday.  We are all hunkered down, but we spend a lot of time together.  If one gets sick, we will isolate them in a room and bathroom.  But...until then, they want to be loved on and we are playing games and watching shows in our free time.

My dad lives 10 minutes from me.  I took him supplies Sunday and am Facetiming with him everday.  Hoping he is staying in his apartment.

No.  Our house is large and we could make it work, but none of us are leaving the house (except to pick up pre-ordered groceries), so we don't really have anyone potentially bringing in contagion daily.  We don't see a reason to separate within the house.  

No.  If anyone came down with something we would try.  But little kids don't do that well in my house.   Dh goes out for food but that is it.   The rest of us haven't seen anyone for a week.   Other than neighbors who are out and about on walks and things.   And then we take a 6 foot swing of them. 

• Like 1

No. DH is finishing up what was either a mild flu or cold (just a lingering cough now) and we still didn't really isolate then (all of last week). Small house, breathing the same air day in and out...what's the point?

(No compromised immunity or anything here.)

• Like 2

Nope. I just don't see the point. Dh is still going to work everyday so he is likely to be the one to bring it home. If we were to keep him separated from us then I'd be taking care of 6 kids by myself, which includes a newborn. I'm already sleep deprived I don't need to make life harder for myself

• Like 1

No, it's not really possible in our house.  750 square feet and only one bathroom.   The kids each have their own rooms and they spend the majority of their time in there on a normal basis, but they come out to the kitchen and bathroom.   Everything opens into the living room so that can't be isolated at all.   If someone got sick, they'd stay in their rooms except for trips to the bathroom, but someone would be bringing them food.

It's just the four of us at home.  Dh is in his 60's and I have mild asthma, but none of us are really high risk. 

Only between my high risk son and everyone else. We’re throwing on a mask when we reposition him, and such. Other than that, no. My kids are deprived of so much right now, I’m not going to deprive them of physical affection, too. 

• Like 1

Not yet, but we're adjusting.  (It's normally just three of us here now.)  But, I'm assuming that we'll all go into some type of lock-down in a week or two, and at that time, we're hoping to take in an extended family member.  He is elderly with very compromised health, and my dh has serious complex health issues.  I'll be the one going to the grocery store, picking up prescriptions, making dinner, etc..  Assuming things start picking up in our city/state (they already are), then I'll probably start distancing myself a bit from extended family member and dh.  I've already been warning my dh that by next week, we may not be able to kiss anymore!  🙁  We do have a king size bed, so it's easy to sleep far apart.  

15 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

No.  I figure once it's in the house you lost that battle and are fighting a new one.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Only between my high risk son and everyone else. We’re throwing on a mask when we reposition him, and such. Other than that, no. My kids are deprived of so much right now, I’m not going to deprive them of physical affection, too. 

So in my case, should I not worry about it? That is what bugged my daughter most, that I won't hug her or get close to her.  

6 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

So in my case, should I not worry about it? That is what bugged my daughter most, that I won't hug her or get close to her.  

That seems a bit weird to me.  I'm sorry, but it does.  You're breathing each other's air and touching all the same surfaces.  If it's in the house it's in the house.  I don't say this lightly.  I have a high risk special needs kid.  If you are all on lockdown together, you should be fine.  If a family member is still going out and getting exposed every day, you share that risk.  I think of the family as a unit.  That said, I'm also not hugging my own daughter, but she stayed in her college apartment and, for the purposes of quarantine, is a unit unto herself. 

You really should hug your kid.  She needs it right now.  Your home is her safe place.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

That seems a bit weird to me.  I'm sorry, but it does.  You're breathing each other's air and touching all the same surfaces.  If it's in the house it's in the house. 

No we are not for the most part.  I am the only one allowed to touch things.  I make and bring food.  People are limited to certain rooms.  3 times a day I don gloves and wipe everything down and change towels, though I'm the only one using the dish towels.  Hubby and I sleep in different rooms.  No one uses the same bathroom, etc.

Edited by Happymomof1
  • Like 1

Somewhat. We are four adults in a place with enough space to spread out. DH recently came back from a business trip, my son just came back from a college dorm, and I am the one going out for groceries. We have my 83 year old mom here. 

2 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

No we are not for the most part.  I am the only one allowed to touch things.  I make and bring food.  People are limited to certain rooms.  3 times a day I don gloves and wipe everything down and change towels, though I'm the only one using the dish towels.

You're gonna stress everyone out and that's bad for your immune system.  That doesn't seem sustainable and you've gotta pace yourself for a long haul.  Is your DH still leaving the house for work? I'd focus on a routine for him when he comes home and live normally within the house.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

You're gonna stress everyone out and that's bad for your immune system.  That doesn't seem sustainable and you've gotta pace yourself for a long haul.  Is your DH still leaving the house for work? I'd focus on a routine for him when he comes home and live normally within the house.  

My husband is a retired surgeon and approved these measures.  We have let the 23yo live live more normally because he is 100%, but he has to stay away from my husband and my daughter who are  now coughing...once again, probably because of allergies.  Daughter sounds horrible today and she did use her inhaler last night, but that is normal for pollen season.  She feels fine.  Hubby, not so much, though since the z-pack he feels better.    That was part of my question above that no one answered.  I know this is not sustainable, but when do I stop?  How long after they feel better?  What about the 25yo, do we let him come home because of his mental health ( doing fine, but long term this could be bad).  If the three of us had not been out of the country, if my middle one hadn't gotten the mystery virus, if my husband and daughter didn't come home sick, then no, I would not be doing this.  I know it is not sustainable.  I do not want it to be.  But for now, but how long?

We are not distancing at home. It wouldn't work here; our house is small and we all have things to do. I am the one going out the most, but that will stop after tonight when I start working from home. We are being as careful as we can; at this point we are all healthy and have no underlying issues. I know that is not a guarantee and I am not being arrogant about that; just saying how it is in my home.  If one of us has symptoms, we have an isolation plan in place. But realistically I don't see how we could manage it and not have everyone crazy.  I am also concerned about my college kids' mental health, this was their first year away at college; they loved it and like so many others, are so sad about the way their semester has ended. I know many many people are missing a lot of things; my kids are not unique in that way!  Just giving my reasons that we are not distancing at home.

No, I think it's important for families to try to stay connected with each other right now....since there aren't a lot of other opportunities for social interaction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

No we are not for the most part.  I am the only one allowed to touch things.  I make and bring food.  People are limited to certain rooms.  3 times a day I don gloves and wipe everything down and change towels, though I'm the only one using the dish towels.  Hubby and I sleep in different rooms.  No one uses the same bathroom, etc.

Wow that seems really extreme! 

• Like 1

No.  We are living life as usual whilst inside our house.  We are hyper vigilant about hand washing normally.  In the couple of instances when one has needed to go out we've washed immediately upon returning and wet wiped any surfaces that were touched like cell phones, steering wheels, etc.

To answer questions about "how long" - in our home, our plan is two weeks after we started isolating. Kid 1 and my sister will be able to hang out with my mother in a week. Kid 2, who had to go pick up a school laptop, a week after that. And we're all taking our temperature every single day and self-assessing for symptoms - which IS crazymaking, because we all have allergies and/or chronic migraines.

No.  My anxiety is high on a good day.  Between this virus and all of the many concerns/fears it is bringing and my newly diagnosed breast cancer and all of the concerns/fears it is bringing, I need all of the hugs and closeness I can get from my husband and daughter.   I always feel the safest when my husband holds me.   I need him and that more than ever now.  

Edit:  Now we are good about hand washing and always wash hands as soon as we come inside before touching anything or anyone.

Edited by peacelovehomeschooling

On 3/20/2020 at 7:11 AM, medawyn said:

Yeah, this. Teenage son and daughter say they're doing their parts, thanks to phones and internet, but we have eight people and a puppy in a moderately sized house, and several people share bedrooms. There's only so much we can do. We aren't especially at high risk; I'm probably the highest risk due to asthma, and nobody stays away from me, lol. 

No, I don't see a realistic way of doing this. My kids are 12, 9, and 7, and their world already feels unsafe with all of the things going on. I want our house to be a refuge of love, affection, hugs, snuggling on the couch with a book and a cup of cocoa. If we had a grandparent living with us, we'd find a way to make it work. But knowing my parents/in-laws, they wouldn't isolate anyway. 

No, not at all.  We do wash hands a lot and I disinfect daily and I’m cleaning more, but no, we are not social distancing.  Everyone is still working in my house.  If one of us gets it, I’ll be the one to take care of them, so I’ll get it, too.  We’ll quarantine them to a bedroom but I’ll still be in and out, as needed, probably wearing a poncho, kinda lol, but seriously! I mean there’s only so much you can do when or if it hits your family.  You still have to care for each other. 

No, seems pointless to me. Like Kung Fu said once it's here it's here.

• Like 1