Menu

Menu planning with grocery shortages

alisoncooks

18 hours ago, parent said:

I will make wolfgang pucks hungarian goulash with spaetzle because everyone likes it.  I do not use his spaetzle recipe.  I use the kaese spaetzle recipe on allrecipes.  This goulash is so deeply flavored and delicious. 

Thanks for the spaetzle recipe- we usually make one like Wolfgang’s and love it sautéed in butter til browned, but I’ve had the Kaese spaetzle at restaurants and would love to make it at home!

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

The last few times I was at the store, there was plenty of ice cream.

Plenty of ice cream at the stores. 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Oldest DD is scheduled to have her wisdom teeth out on Monday (we moved it up a week to hopefully squeeze it in before further restrictions) so now I'm scrambling to find soft foods (Jello, pudding, soups -- you know, all the things that are sold out, lol). 

Applesauce isn’t sold out here though it’s easy to make at home as well.

Rice pudding is easy to make. 

Here the more expensive soups in cans aren’t sold out. People are buying boxed soups first, then canned soups, then “microwave soups” (e.g. https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-pack-Campbell-s-Chunky-Microwavable-Soup-Classic-Chicken-Noodle-Soup-15-25-Ounce-Bowl/310945060)

• Like 1

Went into the grocery and I had pretty good luck with finding some soft things: premade mashed potatoes, pudding, cottage cheese, applesauce, popsicles. Also a couple of soups (chicken and stars, etc). 

Those that recently had kids with wisdom teeth out: how long did they need soft foods?

• Like 1

Trying to order as much as possible online so as to limit time in stores. Everything I buy is getting wiped down or washed in the sink with soap or removed from the containers (and the containers tossed) or, if all else fails, shoved in the attic for a week. Then I wash my hands.

Amazon is wiped out of just about everything I actually want to buy... apparently the whole world wants to eat cheezits and ritz crackers right now, just like me. I watched my fair trade sugar on subscribe and save inch up to 3x the price before abruptly dropping back down, now it's out of stock again.

On the plus side, their no-speed delivery bonus has increased to $1.50. I've definitely considered ordering one item at a time to get the bonus!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

On the plus side, their no-speed delivery bonus has increased to $1.50. I've definitely considered ordering one item at a time to get the bonus!

I saw this! Funny thing is, several times the estimated "prime" delivery day was the same or only 1 day faster than the "slow" shipping. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, parent said:

Ohhh, yes,  red are the best.  Make dahl!!  I can never find them in my market so bought a huge bag from the coop where I get my wheat.  

ETA:  I make this recipe, but use jalapeno instead of serrano since I always have them.  Sounds so good.  I should make it tonight.  My daughter loves this.

Thanks! I have everything except cardamom and cumin seeds. I wonder how vital they are to the flavor? And I’ll have to check on the lemon...I know I have limes but not sure about a lemon. 

14 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Trying to order as much as possible online so as to limit time in stores. Everything I buy is getting wiped down or washed in the sink with soap or removed from the containers (and the containers tossed) or, if all else fails, shoved in the attic for a week. Then I wash my hands.

Amazon is wiped out of just about everything I actually want to buy... apparently the whole world wants to eat cheezits and ritz crackers right now, just like me. I watched my fair trade sugar on subscribe and save inch up to 3x the price before abruptly dropping back down, now it's out of stock again.

Me too.  I am stress eating so badly.    

• Like 1

Yesterday I made a *seriously* overcooked pork tenderloin roast (with fried mushrooms, frozen green beans, and cheesy dinner bread).

There were plenty of leftovers, so today I'm making something approximating this casserole:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/218982/yummy-pork-noodle-casserole/

Substituting paprika for peppers, cellery salt for cellery, onion powder for half of the onion,  cheddar 'soup' and chicken better-than-bullion for the cream of chicken soup, and Greek yogurt for the sour cream. It actually looks really good! (No sides except mushrooms and beans from yesterday if people want them.) It looks really good!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, parent said:

That's what my husband said, but it is a lot of mushrooms, and I have been eating an omelet every day.  I don't feel like marinated mushrooms, and these are too big for that (bigger criminis).  They would work for stuffed mushrooms, which is how they might end up.  We had burgers with mushrooms last Friday, and cheesesteak with mushrooms earlier that same week.  I just don't feel like heavy beef and mushroom combos.  I make chicken marsala but don't feel like that either.  I would guess they would freeze terribly and turn into rubber. 

Cut up and cook them in a pan with butter or olive oil, then freeze. Add to a recipe later, one where the mushrooms are pretty well braised anyway. I’ve done this a bunch. 

@parent I don’t have coriander either, but I DO have ground cumin since I use that in a lot of Mexican dishes. Thanks for the help! I’m making this over the weekend, also for easy lunches for myself. 😊

On a side note,  I hope you are feeling better today!

9 minutes ago, mmasc said:

@parent I don’t have coriander either, but I DO have ground cumin since I use that in a lot of Mexican dishes. Thanks for the help! I’m making this over the weekend, also for easy lunches for myself. 😊

On a side note,  I hope you are feeling better today!

I second dal as a great use of red lentils! I'm craving some myself lately but didn't think to stock up on that particular kind, and brown or green definitely do not substitute well. I don't bother cooking the veggies/aromatics separately like that recipe says. I just cook the spices (like 30 seconds) and then onions (7-10 mins) and garlic and ginger (toward the very end) in the same pan I dump the lentils and water into. Also, if you happen to have coconut milk (canned) on hand, replace half the water with that, or finish with a couple tablespoons of butter. We like it better with some form of creaminess added.

• Thanks 1

I cannot seem to find eggs around here lately, and I'm not inclined to go to the store more than once a week to hunt them down. We have them almost every morning for our breakfast protein so this is a minor deprivation. Does anyone have any vegetarian high-protein breakfast suggestions? Yogurt and oatmeal or granola are working but would love some more family-friendly ideas. 

On 3/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, alisoncooks said:

Went into the grocery and I had pretty good luck with finding some soft things: premade mashed potatoes, pudding, cottage cheese, applesauce, popsicles. Also a couple of soups (chicken and stars, etc). 

Those that recently had kids with wisdom teeth out: how long did they need soft foods?

For my DS, only about 3 days. After that, he wanted regular food and he just chewed carefully, not in the back. Also, just in case they don't tell you, be sure that your DD doesn't use a straw to drink for a day or two after her surgery.

• Like 1

The mental energy of trying to figure out well-rounded, healthyish meals for the household...it's exhausting  I'm spending more than typical on groceries but coming home slightly disappointed each time.  I've given up meal planning and am just keeping a running list if things in the freezer and potential meals that can be made. Then I check them off as I make them.

I guess I'm buying first and planning when I get home and survey what I found. I don't love it. 

5 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I guess I'm buying first and planning when I get home and survey what I found. I don't love it. 

I just stick to getting at least one kind of meat, one kind of fish, some fruits and vegetables. 
Meal planning is going to be hard unless you are already used to your main ingredients being canned food and boxed soups.  

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I just stick to getting at least one kind of meat, one kind of fish, some fruits and vegetables. 
Meal planning is going to be hard unless you are already used to your main ingredients being canned food and boxed soups.  

Midcentury modern architecture and design are popular, so why not add post-WWII recipes for authenticity?. 😀

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Midcentury modern architecture and design are popular, so why not add post-WWII recipes for authenticity?. 😀

I am from the latchkey generation. There was a tongue-in-cheek article on why Gen X aka latchkey generation is well prepared for shelter in place. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/coronavirus-quarantine-gen-x-was-made-boomers-gen-z-not-ncna1168021

• Like 1

I am FULLY in my element as a former latchkey kid, cooking, sewing, reading, playing volleyball and badminton in the backyard, and generally entertaining myself. Netflix and Hulu are an added, welcome, bonus. Depending on where you live, different (more familiar foods) will be less readily available but regional foods from elsewhere in the country/world will be easy to find. For example...I can't find black beans and looked for lentils and those were out too... BUUUUTTT...I did find pigeon peas! Winning! I can cook these using any technique I'd use for pintos or dal and they'll be delish. Apparently there aren't a lot of former Caribbean islanders in my area.

Edited by Sneezyone

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I am from the latchkey generation. There was a tongue-in-cheek article on why Gen X aka latchkey generation is well prepared for shelter in place. 
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/coronavirus-quarantine-gen-x-was-made-boomers-gen-z-not-ncna1168021

Yes, as a member of Gen-X, I have no problem concocting meals from what is on hand.  My shopping is to restock basic ingredients and get any ingredients needed for special meals. The problem was that we had been intentionally eating down our pantry and freezer.   We do this every February/March as a means of clearing out older food.  We were going hard-core this year as we were preparing for a kitchen remodel.   

It took a few weeks, but I am now almost fully stocked.  The only essential food item I have not yet found is yeast,  I have enough for one more pizza night and the cinnamon rolls dh requested for Easter, but then I'll be out.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Yes, as a member of Gen-X, I have no problem concocting meals from what is on hand.  My shopping is to restock basic ingredients and get any ingredients needed for special meals. The problem was that we had been intentionally eating down our pantry and freezer.   We do this every February/March as a means of clearing out older food.  We were going hard-core this year as we were preparing for a kitchen remodel.   

It took a few weeks, but I am now almost fully stocked.  The only essential food item I have not yet found is yeast,  I have enough for one more pizza night and the cinnamon rolls dh requested for Easter, but then I'll be out.   

Re: yeast....I saw something about turning yeast into a sourdough yeast water....if you can use what you had set aside for pizza night for that, it may help.

51 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

St. Louis-style thin crust (or cracker crust) pizza is made with baking powder, not yeast, if needs must.  Just skip the provel cheese because that stuff’s nasty, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

St. Louis-style thin crust (or cracker crust) pizza is made with baking powder, not yeast, if needs must.  Just skip the provel cheese because that stuff’s nasty, lol.

One of my sons loves Imo's Pizza. Every time we are in or near St. Louis he wants to stop to get some.  I prefer New York style. 

On 3/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, parent said:

I do feel better and I am so glad you reminded me of this dish.  It is the first thing in several days that really appealed to me!  Oh, and I also use canned diced tomatoes.

20200320_175712.jpg

What is this?  It looks delicious.  I probably missed the recipe up thread somewhere.  

I did grocery pick up yesterday which apparently was not a good day.  They were out of frozen fish, hamburger and chicken. And dog food.  And potatoes.  I was just going to make due, but first thing this morning Dh realized his mouse batteries were dead so I had to go to WM anyway.  They had everything on my list that I didn’t get yesterday.  So note to self, Monday at noonish might  a good time to shop.  

We are working on not wasting any food even if we are sick of it.  I have some oatmeal in the pantry that is about 6 months expired.....I told Dh that I picked up fresh oatmeal today but I am not throwing out the old.....it could be pet food in a pinch.  

we have some frozen stuff but mostly try to cook all the fresh while we have it.  

Edited by Scarlett

It’s not much different than status quo for us. Sure, there are things unavailable, but not to the extent where there’s not some alternative protein, or side dish I could make. Fruit and veg is plentiful, if a little limp. But in the best of times I forget to buy and ingredient or three from my plan, so then my plan becomes more of a guide.