Menu

Correcting Pronunciation of past tense verbs

My  10yodd constantly mispronounces past tense verbs.  Everything has a "ed" on the end whether it is supposed to have a "t", "d" or just irregular verbs that don't have any ending.  Here are some examples just from the past few days, "gotted", "wented", "goed" "jump-ed" (two syllables).  It hurts my ears and I have spent the past three years or so correcting it every time which is frustrating for her and for me and has resulted in no or very little improvement.  Maybe it will still resolve with age but she's heading into fifth grade this year!  It seems like if my method of correcting everytime hasn't work to this point, than maybe there's something else I should be doing?

Does anyone have any ideas?  At first, I thought it would resolve when she learned to read but it didn't. Then I thought that when she learned to spell more words that would solve it, but it hasn't.  She generally has grade-level spelling skills so she will for instance write, "I went to the store".  But if I ask her to read it she will automatically say "I wented to the store" until I point out that there isn't an "ed" on the end.  If you ask her where she went, the response would be "I wented to the store".  I've been homeschooling a long time but have never faced this particular issue before.

Thanks!

When you correct, do you have her say what she said again the correct way? I'd try adding in that step if not.

I will say that my kids were older than I thought they would be with some spoken grammar topics--especially with irregular verbs. There were some things I corrected into middle school years.

Maybe you could try collecting words she says incorrectly and then making up a worksheet where she chooses the correct way to say a sentence (she could choose between wented and went for a blank etc...) 

• Like 2

On March 18, 2020 at 11:18 AM, JanOH said:

My  10yodd constantly mispronounces past tense verbs.  Everything has a "ed" on the end whether it is supposed to have a "t", "d" or just irregular verbs that don't have any ending. 

I'm using this workbook https://www.linguisystems.com/Products/33813E/spotlight-on-grammar-verbs-ebook.aspx  with my ds right now. You can't see it as they no longer have samples up, but starting on page 20 they have exercises with past tense. Does your dd have a reading disability, narrative language issues, or anything else going on? With SWR/WRTR we teach the sounds for "ed" as ed/d/t and we mark them (1,2,3 for which 1st, 2nd, 3rd sound). So I have my ds doing the worksheets while I scribe and I'm having him do the more complex task of telling me *which* sound he heard. So you could replicate this with any 2nd gr grammar text you have lying around. Go to the exercises on past tense verbs and go through them very analytically together, reading aloud and LISTENING for the ending sound and saying which sound was used. Once you introduce, irregular, then regular or irregular and which sound. But I would stick with only regular for a while.

It's something she could work with a SLP on, but right now the only good way to get speech therapy is tele. They'll doubtless have time, if you have insurance coverage or funding to make it happen. It's their province and they would have materials to work on it. Also they could screen to see if anything else is going on and why she's still having this issue. Is there anything else going on that you know of?

There are all kinds of card decks, free worksheets, etc. to work on irregular verbs. Here's one to get you started. https://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?pid=FD136&s=208-irregular-verbs-playing-cards  But I would definitely start with the regular verbs and get that discrimination going. Clearly doing it randomly in life isn't getting here there, meaning she needs more organized attention to it. How is her spelling? Does she hear other components of words accurately? Use pronouns and plurals accurately? The word you're looking for is morphology, so how they're hearing and processing the bits and components of words. So she might have good vocabulary (whole words) but be breaking down with processing the bits. You want to see if it's showing up other places.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, PeterPan said:

I'm using this workbook https://www.linguisystems.com/Products/33813E/spotlight-on-grammar-verbs-ebook.aspx  with my ds right now. You can't see it as they no longer have samples up, but starting on page 20 they have exercises with past tense. Does your dd have a reading disability, narrative language issues, or anything else going on? With SWR/WRTR we teach the sounds for "ed" as ed/d/t and we mark them (1,2,3 for which 1st, 2nd, 3rd sound). So I have my ds doing the worksheets while I scribe and I'm having him do the more complex task of telling me *which* sound he heard. So you could replicate this with any 2nd gr grammar text you have lying around. Go to the exercises on past tense verbs and go through them very analytically together, reading aloud and LISTENING for the ending sound and saying which sound was used. Once you introduce, irregular, then regular or irregular and which sound. But I would stick with only regular for a while.

It's something she could work with a SLP on, but right now the only good way to get speech therapy is tele. They'll doubtless have time, if you have insurance coverage or funding to make it happen. It's their province and they would have materials to work on it. Also they could screen to see if anything else is going on and why she's still having this issue. Is there anything else going on that you know of?

There are all kinds of card decks, free worksheets, etc. to work on irregular verbs. Here's one to get you started. https://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?pid=FD136&s=208-irregular-verbs-playing-cards  But I would definitely start with the regular verbs and get that discrimination going. Clearly doing it randomly in life isn't getting here there, meaning she needs more organized attention to it. How is her spelling? Does she hear other components of words accurately? Use pronouns and plurals accurately? The word you're looking for is morphology, so how they're hearing and processing the bits and components of words. So she might have good vocabulary (whole words) but be breaking down with processing the bits. You want to see if it's showing up other places.

I will look into these resources, thank you!  I had some books from linguisystems.com a long time ago when I was helping on of my older kids through speech therapy.  

Her spelling is decent and improving all the time and she does great with pronouns and plurals it just the verbs.  She was giving me an oral narration today and, as usual, I corrected her and it was almost every sentence that she made an error in.  She's a very cheerful soul so my correcting doesn't bother her, she just repeats and goes on her merry way 🙂 .  

I'm going to dedicate a chunk of time to further research and get a plan in place by Monday morning.  I have time to work on this now since all other activities have ceased.

Thank you!

On 3/19/2020 at 8:30 AM, OKBud said:

Elocution 🙂 

Say the word correctly. She repeats. Say the word correctly. She repeats. Say the word correctly. She repeats.

Yes do it over and over.

Then you say a sentence with the word. She repeats. Sentence, repeat. Sentence, repeat.

Write a new sentence with the same word. Have her read it aloud without you, but correct her if she says it wrong. Record it and play it back so that she hears it.

It can take a good long time. 

Once you do this for a few weeks you can take a look at the front of the Mcguffey Readers. They have great, on-purpose elocution lessons!

Thank you for the suggestion.  I do have all the McGuffey Readers and a few years ago we were working through them together but life happened and we got away from it.  I'm going to pull out those readers and come up with a plan.

Thank you!

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 1