Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Has anyone else's schedule gone to hell in a hand basket?

Well, today I re-opened my blog. Yesterday I updated my FB page.  I have been researching business licenses.  

This morning, I wrote on my blog about QT (Quarantine Time) and too much time on my hands.  Trying to keep myself sane by being productive.  We are not watching news.  We are on a fairly limited media consumption to preserve our sanity.  We are seeking out specific news sources when we want an update.  Other than that, we have moved into the "Our House Bubble."  (Not to be confused with Hotel California, I hope, bc I really want to be able to leave our house soon!) LOL!!

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 7

Greetings from South Handbasket.

I've been sick since the 9th. The first week, DS was sick too, so we did less school. And the second week, he was starting to get better, but I wasn't better, and things started to get canceled, so we did little. And last week, I still wasn't better, and I had planned a light week to get some spring cleaning done (which I didn't wind up feeling up to doing) but at least some things went online (drum lessons, chess class). Now this week should in theory be more like a full load (with scouting now online as well), but I still don't feel better.

DS does love video games. Poor kid hasn't been farther than the recycling bin since the 7th, and has done a video call with a friend once. I actually prefer his chess class being online, as it was an hour's drive each way.

I just don't know how to do better than this when doing much of anything still gets me coughing. Ready to be done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Theoretically, I have lots of time for school planning, but I'm so discombobulated that I just can't get it together. My 12 y/o is set for the rest of this school year, but the plan for my 7 and 9 year-olds is out the window. Yesterday I admitted defeat and ordered some lit guides so I don't have to come up with assignments. Otherwise, it's all do the next thing. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Well, today I re-opened my blog. Yesterday I updated my FB page.  I have been researching business licenses.  

This morning, I wrote on my blog about QT (Quarantine Time) and too much time on my hands.  Trying to keep myself sane by being productive.  We are not watching news.  We are on a fairly limited media consumption to preserve our sanity.  We are seeking out specific news sources when we want an update.  Other than that, we have moved into the "Our House Bubble."  (Not to be confused with Hotel California, I hope, bc I really want to be able to leave our house soon!) LOL!!

Such a lovely place, such a lovely place? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I'm so glad you are opening everything back up! I need to pop over and catch up on your blog. 

• Like 5

I'm definitely trying to take the time to catch up on projects. We figured out a schedule that works (no 5-hour math lessons, don't worry!) and are sticking to it. I might add a few things to it, because it definitely doesn't have any extras yet ;-). 

Still trying to figure out whether to bother with all the things being run via Zoom or not... the kids are excited about them until they actually happen, at which point they become frustrated. But one of them did have a lovely FaceTime playdate with a homeschooling friend, so we might switch over to that, as opposed to group settings. They even managed to play a bit of Monopoly!

Edited by square_25
  • Like 2

I feel like we are on summer schedule. Three days a week of school seems to be the happy medium right now. In other exciting news, dh is testing out different headsets and has stopped USING THE SPEAKER PHONE FOR HIS TELECONFERENCES so I think we're going to be able to make it through this being closed in until further notice existence. 

All of the stuff I ordered at the GHC conference and online has finally shown up and I am still not feeling it, but gotta work past those feelings. It's hit 90 or close to most of last week, so I think we'll be able to get into the pool soon. That will help a lot I think. It's pretty hot here to play outside long right now, and the wasps and fire ants are out in full force so exploring the pastures and surrounding areas hasn't been as much fun. I think we jumped two whole season and just went from fall weather to summer again. We had no winter this year at all and the bugs are showing it. 

The kids have been doing the occasionally FaceTime with friends and can I just say that the middle elementary age set are quite obnoxious on FT?!? They think it's a riot though, so it's worth it, but I don't think I've even seen a group of people who are so bowled over by camera shots up noses and crazy faces! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We have basically had no schedule at all the past two weeks--our normal routine was completely disrupted and I was sick (got tested for covid-19, fortunately negative).

I'm not good at creating order and usually rely significantly on our schedule of outside classes to provide my family with a framework of structure. Of course that has all gone out the window now.

I'm feeling better, so planning to sit down this afternoon and figure out a schedule and school assignments for the coming week. I've taken advantage of some opportunities for inexpensive online classes for my oldest, but I still have a lot to figure out. Dh is working from home as well which means desk space and computer use are pinched.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Such a lovely place, such a lovely place? 😉

LOL!  It is such a (non-drugged induced) lovely place 😉 , but there's no place like home has taken on a whole new meaning!

But, oh my, my ds and dil are still pretty much newlyweds.  Ds is an EXTREME extrovert.  Poor dil is an EXTREME introvert.  They haven't left their tiny Berkeley-sized apt (on the 3rd floor) since the shelter-in-place order.  My poor dil.  Ds is like a caged animal (while she seems to handling things OK.)  He sent me a meme the other day about how this is showing survial of the fittest in an entirely new dimension--introverted homebody thrival.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I feel like we are on summer schedule. Three days a week of school seems to be the happy medium right now. In other exciting news, dh is testing out different headsets and has stopped USING THE SPEAKER PHONE FOR HIS TELECONFERENCES so I think we're going to be able to make it through this being closed in until further notice existence. 

Oh my, that would be so annoying!  I am very glad to hear that he stopped.  I remember you posting earlier that  it was hard when he was working from home, so I imagined that it got much harder when it became a full time thing.  

All of the stuff I ordered at the GHC conference and online has finally shown up and I am still not feeling it, but gotta work past those feelings. It's hit 90 or close to most of last week, so I think we'll be able to get into the pool soon.

I have to admit that I am a little jealous of your pool.  I'd love a pool right now to burn off some of my 9 year old's energy.  

We moved in with the grandparents on Friday, because they have more space and because more adults is helpful.  I let my 9 year old pack for himself.  He brought both bathing suits, and no underwear.   I should note that the only reason I felt comfortable letting my 9 year old pack is because we moved less than a mile, so I can hop in the car and go get him underwear, so do not fear for us, my child is appropriately clad.  However, it made me laugh.  Does he think the in laws have a pool and he just never noticed?  

That will help a lot I think. It's pretty hot here to play outside long right now, and the wasps and fire ants are out in full force so exploring the pastures and surrounding areas hasn't been as much fun. I think we jumped two whole season and just went from fall weather to summer again. We had no winter this year at all and the bugs are showing it. 

The kids have been doing the occasionally FaceTime with friends and can I just say that the middle elementary age set are quite obnoxious on FT?!? They think it's a riot though, so it's worth it, but I don't think I've even seen a group of people who are so bowled over by camera shots up noses and crazy faces! 

Your experience matches mine!

• Haha 4

I'm going to call the farm supply store and ask if they carry play sand. They're doing drive through orders--call in ahead and pay with a credit card and they will load your order when you arrive. 

I want to set up a sandbox on the back deck for my littles; I think that could make a big difference. All of us piled on top of each other in the house isn't good. My five year old wants to play with her friend next door but we tried encouraging them to play at a distance, i.e. ride their bikes around the cul de sac, and they just aren't able to grasp the concept. Neighbor child still attends daycare so it really isn't an association I want to encourage right now (her parents are considered essential workers and really don't have any other options). We have a big back yard but the little kids don't really like to play out there unless I or one of the older kids is out there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm going to call the farm supply store and ask if they carry play sand. They're doing drive through orders--call in ahead and pay with a credit card and they will load your order when you arrive. 

I want to set up a sandbox on the back deck for my littles; I think that could make a big difference. All of us piled on top of each other in the house isn't good. My five year old wants to play with her friend next door but we tried encouraging them to play at a distance, i.e. ride their bikes around the cul de sac, and they just aren't able to grasp the concept. Neighbor child still attends daycare so it really isn't an association I want to encourage right now (her parents are considered essential workers and really don't have any other options). We have a big back yard but the little kids don't really like to play out there unless I or one of the older kids is out there.

If they don’t have it try a local hardware and/or landscaping stores. (Assuming they’re are open as they are here). 

• Like 1

Conquered the grocery store today! Loaded up on essentials & grabbed stuff for DS’ Easter basket - active outdoor toys & art supplies! 

DS7’s activity level has really slumped since moving back to the US. He went from having 4hrs/wk of sports practices year-round, frequent park play, & us walking everywhere to 2hrs of sports for a few weeks each semester (which are now cancelled) & driving everywhere. It’s starting to take a toll on him. I think we’re going to be adding “PE” to our school days...

We’re also making chores official. Most are things he already does, but we need a more consistent routine & I need him to start stepping up a bit more. May as well get some new routines established while our calendar is cleared. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, maize said:

This is a really good idea!  I hope you are successful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It’s Monday.

Yup, the best day of the week! Well the 2nd best if you enjoy Sunday. But anyways, it's Good Doctor day, so rejoice! Season finale is tonight, and if you're behind you have almost 3 seasons you can catch up on to get ready. :biggrin:  I suggest starting with this season and working backward. Nuts, when you get REALLY BORED go watch it in Korean (which is utterly adorable but eaier with the subtitles on) and say you're learning korean! Homeschooling at its finest. :biggrin:

First in Korean, cuz it's adorable

And then in english with AMAZING plot lines and hunky actors. 

like Melendez. This is how they ended last week. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

laundry to be done

Oh my, I was so tired and stressed I left ds' bed pads out in the rain. You know what happens if you leave bed pads in the rain? Hahaha, sopping wet mess. But then i discovered than an extra rinse makes them whiter and nicer! So that was a happy discovery in the midst of my mess. Or maybe it's guilt, because now I think I have to run an extra rinse on the bed pads every time? LOL

• Like 1

I gave ds14 a school checklist for the week. He has so far ignored it.

Dd16 has been doing her work.

Had an online IEP meeting for dd12.

Took the youngest two for a walk.

Dh got up early to get his work hours in and is now reading to the kids.

Made appointments to catch dd5 and ds2 up on immunizations.

Took care of some paperwork.

It's one of those days where I feel like I have been working all day but haven't accomplished much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm feeling much more cheerful today, because I'm coughing less and was able to do stuff like replace the kitty litter and go for a short walk--things that were impossible for the last three weeks. Hallelujah.

• Like 8

We have so much more time at home now, but we are getting less done. Now Dh is working from home, too. I need to make myself a checklist each day. We have been sleeping in until closer to 8:00 and spending more time reading aloud and playing board games. I guess maybe I am trying to make this time pleasant for the kids.

I want to get about an hour more in with the kids on their individual subjects and spring clean 1-2 rooms per week. The time should be there. LOL

• Like 2

We've managed to homeschool two out of three kids on two consecutive days.  I'm going to count that as an accomplishment.  

What do people do about bedtime and wake up time?  In the past we've always been tied to some other schedule, but for the first time we have more freedom.  Do I just let my kids wander downstairs when they feel like it, or set a certain time when I want them up?  It's tricky because with our current schedule I can't go wake them up, but I could have them set an alarm. 

56 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

We've managed to homeschool two out of three kids on two consecutive days.  I'm going to count that as an accomplishment.  

What do people do about bedtime and wake up time?  In the past we've always been tied to some other schedule, but for the first time we have more freedom.  Do I just let my kids wander downstairs when they feel like it, or set a certain time when I want them up?  It's tricky because with our current schedule I can't go wake them up, but I could have them set an alarm. 

With the incredibly crazy lives you all have had in the past months due to the medical needs, and especially because of the disrupted/lack of sleep you and DH have had/continue to have -- I'd suggest accepting this relaxed schedule as a gift from God for you all. Treat it as extended vacation/recovery as far as when to get up/go to bed. It's also a gift allowing you all to be more rested, and more present and involved with your medically fragile child -- cherish the time you've all been given as a special blessing and opportunity to make memories and relax together. Just my 2 cents worth. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I could have them set an alarm. 

That's a good way to have cranky kids, at least in our house. But I suppose it depends on the ship you run. If you're already on a sailboat, kinda roll with the waves.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

With the incredibly crazy lives you all have had in the past months due to the medical needs, and especially because of the disrupted/lack of sleep you and DH have had/continue to have -- I'd suggest accepting this relaxed schedule as a gift from God for you all. Treat it as extended vacation/recovery as far as when to get up/go to bed. It's also a gift allowing you all to be more rested, and more present and involved with your medically fragile child -- cherish the time you've all been given as a special blessing and opportunity to make memories and relax together. Just my 2 cents worth. 😉 

Believe me, I cherish every minute.  I don't take them for granted!

DS10's schedule isn't flexible.  It changes, but it's pretty rigidly structured, and DH and my sleep schedules are tied to him, not the other two which is who I was thinking about when I posted this.  I'm not sure whether relaxing the structure they're used to would be relaxing or anxiety provoking.   I may just need to experiment. 

21 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That's a good way to have cranky kids, at least in our house. But I suppose it depends on the ship you run. If you're already on a sailboat, kinda roll with the waves.

The alarm, or just not being allowed to sleep as long as they want?

They're used to a fair amount of structure as far as when to sleep.  They go to bed at a certain time, and are up at a certain time (with plenty of time to sleep in between). In part because of school and sports commitments, and recently because their brother's and parents' sleep is pretty structured and our house was small enough that we really needed them to sleep when other people were trying to sleep.

But now our outside commitments are way down.  DS10's got the hospital, but we could leave them sleeping.  and DS12 has online math tutoring, and online trombone lesson, but neither of those are in the morning. And in the new house they're sleeping in the attic, and have a basement to play in, so they could stay up late without keeping anyone awake, if they wanted to. 

I don't want to jinx it, lest some new horror arise with the express purpose of thwarting us (how it feels lol)..but.... our days have coalesced in a new way and it's going fine. I could do more with the four year old and he could stand to watch less PBS Kids, but he's fine 🙂 . 

We just do what's important to me. And then the kids do what's important to them. 

I feel very blessed these days in this way, because we are really set up for success here. Our baseline has always been reading together, chatting together, working on our own things, and then telling each other about them. We've got great books, we've got great toys. We've got great relationships, with good boundaries, and our kids have never questioned that they are safe and taken care of. They aren't peer-oriented. They love to look for bugs and birds and things.

So while many of the consequences of shelter-in-place are upsetting, they have not upset the kid's sense of self or safety. Likewise, while our homeschool routine looks very different than it looked two months ago, its foundations are intact.  

Consider this a testimony for being real clear on what you want, how you want to acquire it, and what you're not willing to do to get it early on!! We used to talk about that here... about making homeschool mission statements, and things like that. When you know what you're about, you don't stress yourself out trying to do auxiliary things in times of stress. 

This might be a really good time for a new minimalist thread 😄 

• Like 6

My kids are staying up later and waking up later. I let them stay up and read, write, or draw (with red light headlamps only after 8pm!!- very important). They're self-regulating very sensibly. 

In the past they would NOT self-regulate sleep. This is a great time for that aspect of maturity to kick in! 

We have pre-established, unbreachable rules of quietness in the AM, so that helps too. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OKBud said:

So while many of the consequences of shelter-in-place are upsetting, they have not upset the kid's sense of self or safety. Likewise, while our homeschool routine looks very different than it looked two months ago, its foundations are intact.  

We've had that experience as well, surprisingly enough. We're staying home and not leaving the house, but we now have a new schedule that works, and the kids are basically fine :-). And we don't watch the news, so they aren't stressed out by doom and gloom. They've adjusted. 

And we actually have way more time for cool new projects than we did before. DD7 has started sewing a backpack out of felt of her own volition. DD3.75 has started reading easy readers to herself. We've been a cool wooden gear contraption from a set and ordered some more. I've programmed a whole lot of new stuff for next year's homeschool math classes.

It's been kind of refreshing to have all the days be similar, to be honest. The only thing we miss is friends, and outdoor play time... 

19 minutes ago, OKBud said:

We just do what's important to me. And then the kids do what's important to them. 

I feel very blessed these days in this way, because we are really set up for success here. Our baseline has always been reading together, chatting together, working on our own things, and then telling each other about them. We've got great books, we've got great toys. We've got great relationships, with good boundaries, and our kids have never questioned that they are safe and taken care of. They aren't peer-oriented. They love to look for bugs and birds and things.

Consider this a testimony for being real clear on what you want, how you want to acquire it, and what you're not willing to do to get it early on!! We used to talk about that here... about making homeschool mission statements, and things like that. When you know what you're about, you don't stress yourself out trying to do auxiliary things in times of stress. 

This might be a really good time for a new minimalist thread 😄 

These pts ring true here as well.  We did have a major shift in our household b/c our college-age dd has moved home and our grandkids are not here hrs upon hrs each week (our 8 yr old granddaughter has her own bed in our 10 yr old's room b/c she spends the night so often.)  The transition to older vs younger kid mentality did start to take its toll on our 10 yr old.  We have had to ban certain conversations in her presence bc she was starting to show anxiety symptoms.  

I have restructured her school days to have fewer "mental" input-output requirements.  More assignments are fun vs. instructional/challenging.  Her persona has definitely reflected the change and she is coping with a much happier/more contented demeanor.

This week we are also rearranging our house. We moved in Aug and this house is the smallest house we have lived in since 1992.  We bought it as part of the process of downsizing and figuring our kids were moving out, not in, and retiring in it.  College dd has been sleeping in granddaughter's bunk in the 10 yr old's room.  We have a small office that was being used as her playroom (taken over by dh).  We are going to move dh into our bedroom, take apart our dining room table and store that furniture in the garage (so full at this pt with things we had planned on selling at a yardsale in March or April.....), move her play space into the dining room, and move the top bunk into the office space so that college dd can have some semblance of her own space.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Yes.

While we are typically heavily involved in things outside of the house, we have always been family focused. I can't say the kids never bicker, but they typically get along. We normally don't do screens until evening (and after evening activities there often wasn't time), so they are used to doing other things. For living in a quarantine, my kids have a great situation. They have parents who love them and interact with them, and they have each other. I have an abundant home library (Dd16 is on her 20th? book outside school books since we started staying home 18 days ago.) I have shelves and shelves of board games. We have educational kits and project stuff. We have a basketball hoop and over an acre of yard. A trampoline. I feel like our homeschool life set us up well for quarantine. Quarantine has affected the kids negatively in some real ways, but it isn't hardship.

Today Dd16 has an online class in the morning, so we didn't read as much from the morning read aloud. We are reading Watership Down for the first time. We only have about 80 pages left. We all would have like to read more, but I guess it doesn't matter if we finish it Friday instead of tomorrow. Dh is listening to music upstairs while he works. Loud music. Most of the kids will be okay with that, but once Ds15 is out of the shower I am going to have to ask him to turn it off. And so another day starts.

6 minutes ago, Meriwether said:

We are reading Watership Down for the first time. We only have about 80 pages left.

LOL I read this to the kids a few months ago and I plumb abandoned it with like 40 pages left. They finished it out on their own. I love that book so much but it took for-ev-er to read aloud!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OKBud said:

LOL I read this to the kids a few months ago and I plumb abandoned it with like 40 pages left. They finished it out on their own. I love that book so much but it took for-ev-er to read aloud!!!

It is a long one. We started just over two weeks ago. Now that Ds13 isn't doing 3 band classes at the ps in the mornings and Dd16 isn't volunteering one morning a week, we can read an extra chapter or two each day. I have been reading other books to the little girls in the afternoon, too. I'm pretty sure that is where most of our extra time is going.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OKBud said:

My kids are staying up later and waking up later. I let them stay up and read, write, or draw (with red light headlamps only after 8pm!!- very important). They're self-regulating very sensibly. 

In the past they would NOT self-regulate sleep. This is a great time for that aspect of maturity to kick in! 

We have pre-established, unbreachable rules of quietness in the AM, so that helps too. 

How old are your kids?  To be honest, I'm not sure if my kids would be able to self-regulate, because they've never had much of a chance to try.  We've always had morning commitments, and the issue of a tiny house where I need them to sleep when other people are sleeping. Now neither of those things apply.  I'm a little worried that if I send them upstairs and tell them they can stay up, they'll be up all night and then wake up out of sorts.  

I am jealous of all of you whose kids are feeling safe and secure.  My kids are ranging from somewhat stressed out, to very stressed out.  The last year, or years have made them hypervigilant.   Ironically, before this started, I was really wishing for more time at home with family, but this isn't the way I wanted to get it!  

• Sad 1

My kids are settling somewhat this week. Ds14 is finally working through his checklist.

We've still got a lot to figure out, especially when it comes to replacing the hours of structured physical activity my kids are no longer getting. I've ordered two new bikes--just put one together today but need to adjust the brakes, still waiting on the other one.

The more I can get the kids outside and physically active the better it will be for their mental health.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maize said:

My kids are settling somewhat this week. Ds14 is finally working through his checklist.

We've still got a lot to figure out, especially when it comes to replacing the hours of structured physical activity my kids are no longer getting. I've ordered two new bikes--just put one together today but need to adjust the brakes, still waiting on the other one.

The more I can get the kids outside and physically active the better it will be for their mental health.

Exercise has been key for DH and two of my kids' sanity.  We signed up the kids for online taekwondo classes, and DH has been taking them out for an hour or two of basketball on the hoop over the garage.  I'm trying to decide whether I feel safe with them riding their bikes up and down the alley.  

• Like 1

Dd16 tells me schoolwork is miserable and horrible. I've tried repeatedly to discuss ideas for changes; she isn't interested. Her viewpoint is that any schedule that doesn't involve at least eight hours of karate every day is going to be miserable so she might as well just accept it.

22 minutes ago, maize said:

Where did you order bikes? My kids all need new ones, just based on getting bigger. Usually we try to get second hand but obviously I'm not trying to mess around with that right now.

Related question, is it smart or unwise to get an adult bike if they can only jussst manage one? If I could be done buying new bikes for the bigs this summer that would be fabulous. But is there a problem with having an alllmost too-big bike??

Edited by OKBud

8 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Where did you order bikes? My kids all need new ones, just based on getting bigger. Usually we try to get second hand but obviously I'm not trying to mess around with that right now.

Related question, is it smart or unwise to get an adult bike if they can only jussst manage one? If I could be done buying new bikes for the bigs this summer that would be fabulous. But is there a problem with having an alllmost too-big bike??

I ordered from Amazon.

How tall are your older kids? My twelve year old is maybe 5'3" and does fine with an adult sized bike.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OKBud said:

I know plenty of kids who have done fine on bikes that were too big, but this isn't the time to end up in the E.R. with a broken arm, so I might hesitate.  

You can get adult bikes with the adult wheel sizes and slightly smaller frames.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maize said:

How tall are your older kids?

Well that would be great information to know hahaha. You should have asked me about a specific Golden Girls episode or something I am liable to KNOW, Maize  😄

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, maize said:

Dd16 tells me schoolwork is miserable and horrible. I've tried repeatedly to discuss ideas for changes; she isn't interested. Her viewpoint is that any schedule that doesn't involve at least eight hours of karate every day is going to be miserable so she might as well just accept it.

Hmmm. Teenagers are pretty good at bringing their own special bad attitude to situations, lol. 

• Haha 1

We are prioritizing outdoor time and physical activity. All the school work DD did today was 1 hr of math, 15 min french 15 min English. The rest was outdoor play with me and one neighbor family we regularly hang out with in quarantine time. I saw the sun was out today and went directly outside before even that little  schoolwork.

there’s  not much left for the older to do. He runs everyday. 

• Like 4

The real difficulty with my oldest is that there is nothing academic that interests her. She doesn't struggle with academics--she just has zero interest.

For years her passion was Irish dance. These days her primary passion is karate. And she tends to be very single minded--there's no room in her brain for anything except what she is passionate about.

I'm fine with feeding her passions, I just figure that since all that is pretty limited right now it is a good time to catch up on academics that have been rather neglected recently. And to be fair to her she's doing of a good job of that--but she hates it and that is neither what I want for her nor is it healthy.

We did talk about some options for changing things up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, maize said:

The real difficulty with my oldest is that there is nothing academic that interests her. She doesn't struggle with academics--she just has zero interest.

For years her passion was Irish dance. These days her primary passion is karate. And she tends to be very single minded--there's no room in her brain for anything except what she is passionate about.

I'm fine with feeding her passions, I just figure that since all that is pretty limited right now it is a good time to catch up on academics that have been rather neglected recently. And to be fair to her she's doing of a good job of that--but she hates it and that is neither what I want for her nor is it healthy.

We did talk about some options for changing things up.

Oh, that is too bad :-(. I understand being single-minded, lol... has she ever been interested in anything at all academic, or never? 

11 hours ago, square_25 said:

Oh, that is too bad :-(. I understand being single-minded, lol... has she ever been interested in anything at all academic, or never? 

She attended a three week Arabic language program a couple of years ago; I thought that might become an interest as she did extremely well in the program--she is a perfectionist, so put in an environment where studying Arabic is the thing to do she was very intense about it. She has continued to study the language because she needs a foreign language but her interest really fizzled out once she was home. She studies it because she is supposed to.

And even when she was in the Arabic program she mostly talked about how much she missed karate when I talked with her on the phone.

She did a semester at a brick and mortar charter school in 9th grade. She got straight A's and was miserable. She really hasn't ever been interested in anything academic.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, maize said:

She attended a three week Arabic language program a couple of years ago; I thought that might become an interest as she did extremely well in the program--she is a perfectionist, so put in an environment where studying Arabic is the thing to do she was very intense about it. She has continued to study the language because she needs a foreign language but her interest really fizzled out once she was home. She studied it because she is supposed to.

And even when she was in the Arabic program she mostly talked about how much she missed karate when in talked with her on the phone.

She did a semester at a brick and mortar charter school in 9th grade. She got straight A's and was miserable. She really hasn't ever been interested in anything academic.

You're making me feel better about ds. Just saying. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 1:39 PM, square_25 said:

Ugh, it was AWFUL. She both wanted to do it and really couldn't. She wanted to request a song and kept being muted. She'd raise her hand and not get called on. Then she'd hurl herself to the ground and bawl her eyes out. 

I kind of want to say "No more Zoom!!" But then that seems mean. But it is SO disruptive. 

Thank you for the reference. I could certainly use the advice -- I'll take a look. I am absolutely weak on the ability to distance myself. And I do need to feel in control, and sometimes that manifests unproductively. 

I would say no more zoom without a qualm.  There is not much value in it and it sounds very stressful.  Just don't mention it again to her.