Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

Has anyone else's schedule gone to hell in a hand basket?

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

I have to admit... I'm more excited about the possibility of buying a printer and printing many lovely colorful weekly schedules... 

I hope you get one. :wub:

• Like 1

At least y'all haven't told her about Managers of Their homes. OMG, all the post it notes. And yes, yes, it's on my shelf. Thanks Terry, but this house don't run in 15 minute increments. 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I'd be more likely to build a picture schedule for "who mommy works with" that goes Little Sister, Big Sister, Funtime (altogether), Little Sister, Big Sister Funtime! Because to most social 3 year olds the "who" is more important than the what. 

Ooooh, I like that idea! 

I may not be into pocket charts (sorry!), but I'm very excited about possible ways to organize a schedule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

I hope you get one. :wub:

We were already planning to, and given all the extra time we're spending shopping online, lol... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Oh but they're such a *small* indulgence. You can even get them at Dollar Tree for $1. Not now, except maybe if you order a box of 45 and share, haha. But maybe she has a spare shoe pocket thing in her closet? Maybe something creative. Maybe just the *concept* kwim? Like your refrigerator door gets converted. Or a BAKING SHEET. You could use a jelly roll pan, no problemo. Shh, but you can even put velcro on a white board. You can use a sharpie on a whiteboard to make permanent lines and make your own non pockety chart. 

Or, better yet, you can use vis a vis pens to draw on the whiteboard, and they marks will stay until you want them off, and then come off with just water.

Vis a vis pens are the school supply I have happy dreams about at night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh but they're such a *small* indulgence. You can even get them at Dollar Tree for $1. Not now, except maybe if you order a box of 45 and share, haha. But maybe she has a spare shoe pocket thing in her closet? Maybe something creative. Maybe just the *concept* kwim? Like your refrigerator door gets converted. Or a BAKING SHEET. You could use a jelly roll pan, no problemo. Shh, but you can even put velcro on a white board. You can use a sharpie on a whiteboard to make permanent lines and make your own non pockety chart. 

Sharpie on a white board was a 👍 discovery in this house. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Ooooh, I like that idea! 

I may not be into pocket charts (sorry!), but I'm very excited about possible ways to organize a schedule. 

I would totally do little, big, fun, and start with very short times until she learns that if she interrupts big sister the fun gets pushed back, and similarly big sister learns that if she doesn't ignore interruptions the fun gets pushed back.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Sharpie on a white board was a 👍 discovery in this house. 

What about Sharpies on whiteboards?? 

Just now, square_25 said:

Oh just that you can use them and the kids can't smudge anything off- it's permanent but not. You can remove them later when you want with rubbing alcohol. Or you can write over the Sharpie lines with dry erase board markers too, and then wipe off if rubbing alcohol is too much a precious commodity at said erasing time, and it takes them off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

At least y'all haven't told her about Managers of Their homes. OMG, all the post it notes. And yes, yes, it's on my shelf. Thanks Terry, but this house don't run in 15 minute increments. 😂

Oh dear, that's a dark note on an otherwise happy thread. I heard them speak at a homeschool convention many, many years ago. You know the story is that she was clinically depressed, kept popping out babies, and her life was so chaotic that the dh was like fine, just keep them safe and I'll teach them when I get home... Seriously, that's what they said. With straight faces. Not proper medical for the mom, just keep doing your duty and cranking 'em out. And they had more issues and talked about regrets, like doing unit studies excessively, etc. 

So you know, I've got my own faults. I use vanilla from Mexico and I don't keep my table clean. And I'd rather cruise and slack on math and say travel is a virtue and somehow educational. I mean, who am I to fault people who are organized? But I hope you can get some of your money out of it and sell it before any guilt or unstable mental health trends rub off on you. I think most people figure out how to run their homes to fit their values so long as the mom is HEALTHY and TAKING CARE OF HERSELF. 

So I stand by my statement. We all send @square_25 enough chocolate and she will figure this out. Get the ideas, then get alone with yourself and say what fits my reality, what is good for us, and confidently roll with it. And if it fails, hey, eat more chocolate and try again.

We succeed, not because we're awesome, but because we KEEP TRYING.

• Like 3

That you can write on a whiteboard with a sharpie, and then 

So, for example, in my classroom, I have whiteboards that have been transformed into the template for bar graphs, and the kids can just color in the squares with regular whiteboard markers, add a title and a key and a scale and then erase it and do it again.

If you have things you'd like to have last for a while, but you don't want to sacrifice a whiteboard, you can also take page protectors, draw the graphic organizer or whatever on a piece of paper, and stick it in, and then write on the page protector.  We use that for things like monopoly, where each kid has a blank addition/subtraction problem to work with.

4 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Well first you have to enter the Cult of the Whiteboard...

• Like 1

but you don't want to sacrifice a whiteboard,

Shh, but I'll tell you a secret. You could do this without actually sacrificing the whiteboard. On one side, do the deed, whatever you must. Then remove the frame (get one with a metal frame to do this) and adhere a nice sheet of FELT over it. Spray it on, smooth it, put the frame back on. Now your little one has a felt board to work all sorts of magic and keep busy!!! 

12 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Or, better yet, you can use vis a vis pens to draw on the whiteboard, and they marks will stay until you want them off, and then come off with just water.

Vis a vis pens are the school supply I have happy dreams about at night. 

Whoa, how did I not realize this?!?!?! No kidding, I have *four* whiteboards mounted in my ds' office and a whole bunch of bigger and smaller portable ones. I can homeschool anywhere with a whiteboard, lol.

Here's my other whiteboard secret.

If you don't have certain screen protectors on it, you can write on your iPad with dry erase markers, and erase them.  Makes a lot of online math activities way more accessible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Shh, but I'll tell you a secret. You could do this without actually sacrificing the whiteboard. On one side, do the deed, whatever you must. Then remove the frame (get one with a metal frame to do this) and adhere a nice sheet of FELT over it. Spray it on, smooth it, put the frame back on. Now your little one has a felt board to work all sorts of magic and keep busy!!! 

🤯 Where the hell were you 6 years ago?!?! Oh wait, yeah, I hadn't found the boards yet! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Whoa, how did I not realize this?!?!?! No kidding, I have *four* whiteboards mounted in my ds' office and a whole bunch of bigger and smaller portable ones. I can homeschool anywhere with a whiteboard, lol.

Yep, it's awesome and you can "layer".  So, use the sharpie to make a calendar graph.  Use the vis a vis pens to write things for the month that you don't anticipate moving, and then use regular markers to add details that might get moved around.  

Or use a sharpie to make the outline of a schedule, use vis a vis for things like med times that are set (OK, maybe that's just us) and then use a regular white board to try different schedules.  

I had binders full of page protector white boards, two giant whiteboards, one of them with projection, a calendar white board, and 2 lap sized white boards per kid in my classroom.  I absolutely understand the love of whiteboards.  

• Like 2

I... don’t own a whiteboard.

Am I kicked out of the club now?

No, we just need to keep working on you.

Get some page protectors, they're like the gateway drug. 

• Haha 2

So far, we just do everything in big notebooks. I do like big notebooks :-).

I use whiteboards when I teach classes, of course. I far prefer them to chalkboards :-).

Edited by square_25

2 minutes ago, square_25 said:

So far, we just do everything in big notebooks. I do like big notebooks :-).

I use whiteboards when I teach classes, of course. I far prefer them to chalkboards :-).

So you get a three ring binder with a clear pocket on the front, and stick a white piece of paper in there and presto -- whiteboard and big notebook all in one!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

☝️ This. 

Also, get the printer. You need a printer to be fully in the club. Preferably laser. You can make a thread on it, and then people will wax poetic on their printer of choice and you can reignite the debate- refillable ink vs. laster? 🤔

☝️ This. 

Also, get the printer. You need a printer to be fully in the club. Preferably laser. You can make a thread on it, and then people will wax poetic on their printer of choice and you can reignite the debate- refillable ink vs. laster? 🤔

Wait, I don't have a printer.  Am I out?  Is there a loophole if you own a lot of whiteboards, and post helpful hints about using iPads as whiteboards and dream of vis a vis pens?

Just now, CuriousMomof3 said:

Wait, I don't have a printer.  Am I out?  Is there a loophole if you own a lot of whiteboards, and post helpful hints about using iPads as whiteboards and dream of vis a vis pens?

Yep, you're totally granted an exemption. You have Vis a Vis witchery skills to share. Among other things.  👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, you're totally granted an exemption. You have Vis a Vis witchery skills to share. Among other things.  👍

Phew, I was very worried.  

• Haha 2

But seriously. How do y'all not have printers? I did not know this was a thing. 

How can you print all of the inspiring things that come from homeschool companies that you'll never do, but live on in well-intended stockpiles on top of your filing cabinets?! 

• Haha 6

Just now, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

How can you print all of the inspiring things that come from homeschool companies that you'll never do, but live on in well-intended stockpiles on top of your filing cabinets?! 

I started homeschooling with a kid who doesn't write, so we just sent everything to the app Notability and filled it out there on the iPad.  So, when I added the other two kids we just kept doing that?

But I am a baby homeschooler.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I make my own lessons and write them in big notebooks? 😉 

I do need to print worksheets for my (now nonexistent) classes, though. And printing schedules would be lovely. And activities for the little one...

Yeah, I need a printer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I started homeschooling with a kid who doesn't write, so we just sent everything to the app Notability and filled it out there on the iPad.  So, when I added the other two kids we just kept doing that?

But I am a baby homeschooler.  

Well, you sure don’t seem like you’re a baby homeschooler. Hats off. Seriously. 

Signed,

Not a Baby Homeschooler 

Signed,

Not a Baby Homeschooler 

Well, the fact that I was a teacher before might have helped a little, at least in terms of whiteboard mojo.  But I started with one kid in August, and added two more in January.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Signed,

Not a Baby Homeschooler 

How long have you been doing this?

Just now, CuriousMomof3 said:

How long have you been doing this?

In year 7. I’m an intermediate homeschooler. 😁 First one graduates in May. Two more to go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

In year 7. I’m an intermediate homeschooler. 😁 First one graduates in May. Two more to go. 

You are way ahead of me.  That's a big step graduating someone!  

2 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

You are way ahead of me.  That's a big step graduating someone!  

It’s awesome and sad and weird! And happy! The way things are though she might end up homeschooling college. We shall see. Things are so crazy! 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

I... don’t own a whiteboard.

Am I kicked out of the club now?

U Brands Contempo Magnetic Dry Erase Board, 11 x 14 Inches, White Frame - 252U00-04                                      $7.49 Not too big, just enough to hold some c-rods from sliding all over the place when you're building multiplication or something. You can spell words, diagram a sentence, whatever. Need bigger for bigger sentences or physical science type math equations. But you can start small. Put your bag of chocolate underneath while the whiteboard is on your lap. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

So you get a three ring binder with a clear pocket on the front, and stick a white piece of paper in there and presto -- whiteboard and big notebook all in one!

Ooo, that might be a good solution for her! I was just TOTALLY RESISTING the urge to ask whether they are *Better Binders* or not. Cuz you know how that is... :biggrin:

One year I had ds put stickers on a page every time he completed the task and then I slid that (tagboard, thicker not thin paper) back in the clear pocket on the front of the binder. So op could draw her basic table and dc3/4 could put on stickers for the win and store it in the front pocket of her binder.

Edited by PeterPan

No, it's life as usual for us.  I do feel for you about having dh around, school is a disaster when dh is home.  

• Like 1

Now that ds19 is home all the time, my schedule is shifting again. Since  they all want to hang out together, I went back to giving them a list of everything they need to complete by the end of the week. The only subject they have to do daily or they really will regret it is math. Everything else I’m letting them figure out what they are going to do and when. It’s nice because it frees me up to do stuff around the house, watch the news, and hang out here. Lol. 

• Like 6

On 3/19/2020 at 2:50 PM, PeterPan said:

Ok babes, here's the gig. Jammie day is ONE DAY A WEEK. Anything beyond that, and it's time to summon your inner Fly Lady and talk truth to yourself. Just saying.

I don't care if it's yoga pants, what. Lay it out the night before and get dressed every day. Find clothes that empower you. Order new things. 

This is stellar! :biggrin:

Oh my goodness...the best thing about not being allowed to leave the house is the pajamas. Enjoy the pajama days! There's no need for real pants!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I needed to do something that makes me happy today.  So we got up and made about 100 oatmeal cookies, 48 hoagie rolls, and 3 loaves of bread.  I miss my grandkids and sons and dil so much.  We are going to take some to ds's family and then to Aspie ds.  We can visit from a distance.  (We are totally isolated. Both ds's are still going to work.)  Definitely made all of us happy to be baking. 🙂

• Like 3

We feel like we are being slowly lulled to mental oblivion by the monotony of our days. DS will literally bounce off the walls if we don’t have structure, so mornings are strictly school.  I am trying to shake things up in the afternoon - baking, games, spying in the birds nest outside with the endoscopic camera (yes, we have an endoscopic camera..... ). we go out twice a day - morning run, afternoon walk.  Even with those things, all the days seem to run into each other and my mind feels....viscous. 

• Like 3

We've had a bunch of changes (new house, living with grandparents, changes in one kid's sleep schedule, moving to online tutoring) that mean we need to rebuilt our schedule from scratch. My kids do better with routine and predictability, so I'm rereading this thread with interest. 

• Like 1

These past few weeks have been a real doozy.

I got sick the second week of March & declared it Spring Break. DS was assessed for (& diagnosed with) ADHD. The following week we scrambled for doctor’s appointments because we didn’t know if DH would lose his job. Then everything began cancelling & we went on lockdown. Meanwhile, DH was gone for a week (work; essential job) & it rained every freaking day. DS got waaaaay too much screen time. I clawed through our bare-minimum lessons & kept the house one step above squalor. 

Last week was marginally better. We had lessons in the park twice. DH came home. Annnnd I got a stomach bug 😫

Today was the first day I’ve truly felt human again. I cooked yummy, hearty meals. Went back & filled in our lessons from the past two weeks, planned lessons for next week, went through the pantry / fridge / freezer & meal planned, played board games, went on a family bike ride, planned DS’ Easter basket, & made a list for the inevitable trip to the grocery store. I’ll tackle that tomorrow. Fingers crossed next week goes smoothly!! 

• Like 4

Our schedule is so turned upside down right now. We live in a big city, all parks are locked up. We are not leaving the house except to walk the dog. This is so hard to keep an 8 year old inside almost all day. 

DH is home all day. He is in the office for the most part, but our apartment is small he hears us we hear him. 

There feels to be no end to this! I know there will be it just feels like no end. 

DS had a lot of fun things he did each week. Now it is just us all day everyday. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lulalu said:

DS had a lot of fun things he did each week. Now it is just us all day everyday. 

That's us. We had so many things we did out of the house :-(. Now I feel like I'm starting to develop agoraphobia, lol. 

• Like 3