Menu

algebra II practice supplement

Hi all, I'm teaching my daughter Algebra II / Trig and I feel like she needs a practice supplement that is different from our curriculum. When she was doing K-6 math, Singapore CWP filled the bill for this. 

Is there something like CWP for Algebra II? 

Thanks, Emily

I use a book no one knows (AFAIK), Algebra II and Trig: A Guided Inquiry. She's done the first half of AOPS Intro to Algebra and there is some overlap in the problems. She tends to get through a chapter, getting things generally right, and then not remember it later. So I am looking for non-coordinated practice, so she comes back to concepts in a random way. Word problems are probably best.

The book starts with an exploration problem, then builds up the pieces you need for the explanation problem. At the end of each chapter is a set of 15-25 more interesting problems. I have a strong math background (Caltech physics major) so I work the problems on my own in lieu of a teacher's guide and then help her if she needs it. I feel no time pressure, as she is in 7th grade.

Emily

Forrester has pages if word problems at the end of each chpt.

Eta: fwiw, ds says Foerster's wordnproblems were as important in developing his skills as AoPS's proofs. We had this conversation a couple of months ago when I was talking to him about his little sister and possible paths forward. I expected him to be gung-ho for AoPS. He told me not to drop Foerster.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

For routine, do it quickly and get it right type problems, you can just purchase a textbooks on the same topic and have her do the word problems from each lesson,  Mid Chapter reviews and chapter reviews from each chapter, going back to work through the lesson when she's stuck.

There are very few workbooks at the high school level of mathematics, but Mark Twain media publishes some. I'm not sure if they're good or not.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Emerald Stoker said:

We use that same book, Emily. I like it.

What we use for supplementary problems are the old Addison-Wesley books by Johnson/Lendsey/Slesnick/Bates (Alg2/Trig) and by Shanks/Brumfiel/Eicholz/Fleenor (PreCalc). Those are really excellent books.

Oh my goodness, what a flash-back. I looked up those books, and the calculus one in the series was my dad's favorite in college and what he used to help me when I was in high school calculus. Whoa!

On 3/21/2020 at 8:22 AM, 8FillTheHeart said:

Forrester has pages if word problems at the end of each chpt.

Eta: fwiw, ds says Foerster's wordnproblems were as important in developing his skills as AoPS's proofs. We had this conversation a couple of months ago when I was talking to him about his little sister and possible paths forward. I expected him to be gung-ho for AoPS. He told me not to drop Foerster.

That's really interesting. DS15 had no problem with AOPS but didn't test well when he did a placement test for a brick and mortar high school. I do think a part of that was his lack of normal-style problems. I can see a different curriculum being useful in that way for both him and her. Thanks.