Menu

TWTM - 3rd Grade

Allie

For the most part, yes, I *try*.

For 3rd grade next year, we will use:

Beast Academy (math), Spelling Work Out (spelling), Zaner-Bloser (cursive), Story of the World 3 (history), Writing With Ease 3 (writing), First Language Lessons 3 (grammar), and library books for earth science/astronomy and literature. DS7 wants to learn Greek, so probably Song School Greek, though DS10 had used Little Latin Readers in 3rd.

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 2

Yes, we did, though there is no exact way to follow WTM. I definitely used it as our guideline all the way through high school. For third for us the first time through it looked like:

English: Rod and Staff English and spelling. Dictation added from other sources.

Rod and Staff math 

Story of the World vol. 3 w/AG, meaning mapwork and narrations, book lists for additional history books, and arts/crafts projects. Memorywork lists, whatever WTM suggested for that year. 

Science: Chemistry. We used the experiment book listed in 2nd edition. The $8 book had all the same experiments and explanations that the expensive Apologia books had. An outside science fair competition. Notebooking. We later joined a co-op and they often used Apologia, do we used it done too. I much prefered WTM style science for the younger years. We also did some Memoria Press materials at different times.

Prima Latina

Music, some kind of composer studies. I often used something What Your Third Grader Needs to Know for an idea of art and music to study for the year. That book also gave us poetry and short stories. 

We did LA and math daily. And one other subject each afternoon. 

• Like 1

Yes, we did and I plan to do so with my ds7 as well when he gets to 3rd grade.  Here is what we used:

Math - Saxon Math 3

Grammar - First Language Lessons 3

Writing - Writing With Ease 3

Latin - Prima Latina

Spelling - Spelling Workout C and D (we also added in All About Spelling because my dd had issues with spelling)

Science - Chemistry with Usborne Encyclopedia and Adventures with Atoms and Molecules (lots of extra kits)

History - Story of the World 3

We have tried to follow TWTM pretty closely for the last 12 years. My fourth child will be doing 3rd grade next year, so I am planning now.

Here is what 3rd grade looks like at our house for next year:

Lang. Arts: The Good and The Beautiful 3 and HWOT Cursive (My older two used Writing with Ease and Spelling Workout. My older one used Voyages in English for Grammar. My second used Shurley English.  We switched to TGTB with the third kid. She used Level 4 in 3rd grade. Everyone uses HWOT - starting cursive in 2nd grade and then progressing at their pace. Literature is usually planned individually by me in the summer. I pick books based on that kid's reading level/interests and then find activities to go with the books.)

Math: Singapore 3 Standards (Everyone has used the same thing.)

History: SOTW 3 (Everyone has used different levels at this age depending on who else they were combined with for school. We use the AG. I make a binder for my kiddos over the summer with the maps and any add'l activities I want to use. I get add'l books from the library during the school year).

Science: Elemental Science (Again, different topics depending on who is combined for the year. Oldest did Chemistry in 3rd. For next year, my 5th and 3rd grader will combine for Physics.)

Latin: Lively Latin (Everyone starts with this and then switches to Memoria Press's Form Series in middle school.)

Logic: Mind Benders

Geography: Maps, Charts, and Graphs (Usually C or D in 3rd grade)

Fine Arts: We have used a few different things: Harmony Fine Arts, COAH World's Greatest Composers and World's Greatest Artists

We usually do Lang. Arts, Math, and Latin 4-5 days a week. We do Science and History 2 days a week on alternating days. (So M/W is History and T/Th is Science.) Geography is 2 days a week. Fine Art is 2 days a week. And Logic is 1-2 days a week.

A few caveats here... We do start using a hybrid school in middle school. We are planning for everyone to attend college. My oldest will start dual-enrollment for 1-2 classes next year in the 11th grade. We have always homeschooled starting when oldest was in pre-k. I am definitely a type-A list checker, but I only have one kid who is like that. 😉

Hope this helps!

On 3/26/2020 at 2:17 PM, Classically Minded said:

Yes, we did and I plan to do so with my ds7 as well when he gets to 3rd grade.  Here is what we used:

Math - Saxon Math 3

Grammar - First Language Lessons 3

Writing - Writing With Ease 3

Latin - Prima Latina

Spelling - Spelling Workout C and D (we also added in All About Spelling because my dd had issues with spelling)

Science - Chemistry with Usborne Encyclopedia and Adventures with Atoms and Molecules (lots of extra kits)

History - Story of the World 3

Adventures with Atoms and Molecules! Yes, that was the name of the WTM recommended book for third grade science. Worked like a charm. 

• Like 1