Menu

What's with the ads?

Farrar

Homeschooling in the headlines

On 3/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, EmseB said:

Also the, "is this going to be on the test" phenomenon, which is not limited to high school, and is really how a lot of kids learn and study.

That was one of the things that frustrated my DD when she transitioned into a private HS her sophomore year. 😢

Once mine got to the point where they could calculate the %change of volume of batter needed to go from a 9” round pan to a 10” round pan and scale up the recipe in their heads I figured we’d pretty much exhausted kitchen math. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted this on my FB page the other day.  I just wanted to throw out an alternative to parents of homebound students since it's a crowd of people least likely to question conventional educational methods.

I see people posting suggested daily schedules for schooling at home. Those will work well for some kids, and at some stages, but they won't for others. Let this 20 year homeschool veteran introduce you to Block Scheduling. This is the Deep Work principle well written about by authors like Cal Newport. It's for people who do better in an immersive situation. Some kids need the the whole morning or the whole day to sink themselves into a subject with a few breaks scattered throughout. Some homeschoolers do a week's worth of one subject each day or a subject for each half of the school day a couple of days a week. Each subject has different components. A kid can work on one component, take a short break, and get to the next component, take another short break, and repeat until it's done.

For older kids it could like this:

Monday-Science
Tuesday-History
Wednesday-Math
Thursday-Language Arts
Friday-Electives

or

Monday /Wednesdays-Science before lunch
Math after lunch
Tuesdays/Thursdays- History before lunch
Language Arts after lunch
Fridays-Enrichment Activities

The longer you homeschool, the less inclined you are to interrupt a child working diligently. When they're on a roll, sometimes you just need to get out of the way.

I saw a teacher who was offended that the parents were calling it homeschooling since she created the curriculum and was still the official teacher. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@marbel @Æthelthryth the Texan

screenshot is what I am seeing on Facebook posted on groups not related to homeschooling unsolicited 

3A619915-6521-4174-BA45-F3E785871641.png

Hoagies Gifted FB page just posted this!!!

• Confused 2

43 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I saw a teacher who was offended that the parents were calling it homeschooling since she created the curriculum and was still the official teacher. 

And there you go.

The schools know that all these people are not homeschooling. They are just sheltering in place until the world figures things out. They are not homeschooling unless and until they do whatever is required in their states to homeschool.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@Æthelthryth the Texan

below was posted on Facebook 

63728E30-808C-481F-B748-D1071870D5A0.jpeg

I'm thinking it's time to go meme these people back. I need a good case of PMS and some tequila and we'd be in business with the snarky come back memes. Man. Where are snarky hormones when you need them. 

• Like 1

Saw this and I think that’s what you were talking about. 

DD95ED35-CB4E-4BC4-9473-B1795FA3C035.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Plum said:

Saw this and I think that’s what you were talking about. 

DD95ED35-CB4E-4BC4-9473-B1795FA3C035.jpeg

Yeah, this is reasonable if someone asked. The other one about people flailing is just mean!! 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 3

I am considering posting something along the lines of, "Dear public school friends, You are not homeschooling. Your job right now is actually a lot harder than mine because you were forced into it instead of choosing it, you are attempting to implement someone else's plans that you might not completely understand, you got thrown in with no time to prepare (as did your teachers), and you probably intend for it to be temporary. I wish you well and hope it goes smoothly for you and would be happy to answer any questions you have, but most likely my strategies and procedures and curricula will not help your situation." I probably won't, but I'd like to.

The other posts that bother me are the ones that "helpfully" put together a daily schedule for moms to use to keep their kiddos occupied, complete with time slots and everything. 8am learning time, 9:45am snack, 10am crafts, 11am movement, etc etc. These usually aren't from hs'ers but from other ps mom's. For crying out loud, people, their lives are already scheduled down to the minute at school and after school activities, can't you just let them be?? Not to mention the fact that I am philosophically opposed to being an entertainment director. My kids know that if they don't want a job given to them, they need to avoid the B word (bored) at all costs and figure out their own crafts 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

That is one of the many things wrong with this country. Appalling! To take joy or to snark at someone else's troubles and hardships in a pandemic is absolutely appalling.

I'm seeing it on both sides - homeschoolers and teachers (who are making fun of parents struggling).  😞

Also, apparently homeschool parents don't cook dinner for their kids. Our local public school parents page posted something about all the new homeschool parents not being able to cook dinner because of their duties so they should order from one of the local restaurants and pick up or have it delivered.  I'm sure it was meant to support local businesses, but it rubbed me the wrong way.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

"A lot of homeschool math is done in the kitchen!" 🤮 For someone who has homeschooled 12 years, she sure doesn't know much about high school math. Yes, kids will be TOTALLY prepared for college algebra and calculus by simply cooking in the kitchen and using a measuring cup!! Fractions you know! Spare me. Someone needs to block that lady. 

My number 1 homeschool pet peeve is "Just bake with them! That's all the math they need!" No, Karen. My middle-schooler needs more math than the cookie math you do with your preschooler. Stop squeaking at me. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@marbel @Æthelthryth the Texan

screenshot is what I am seeing on Facebook posted on groups not related to homeschooling unsolicited 

<snip>

Ugh.  So condescending, and just wrong for many/most people.

I think a light, brief post along the lines of "hey, if any of my mom friends have kids home from school and weren't given a laptop or packets or whatever to help you help your kids keep schooling, and you feel lost, give a shout; I'd be happy to help if I can!" 

But direct, specific advice?  No.

Teacher cousin, Day 4 of "homeschooling": She worked the kids (preschool and 1st grade), until 4 pm, then "everyone lost their $hit" and now it's "wine o'clock". She also notes that the line between "school" and "home" felt blurred and she's "exhausted". 🙄

• Sad 1

On 3/17/2020 at 11:20 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What is getting me, locally news wise, is they are acting like PS kids being home for 4 weeks and doing a math sheet IS homeschooling. It's not homeschooling. They're making it sound simple and trite. That's what I can pinpoint personally. Cancelling school and having teacher directed worksheets at home for a month is NOT the same thing as taking charge of your child's education and intentionally directing it, and being involved within it, which is what constitutes homeschooling in my book. (ETA- generally speaking). 

I agree with every word you wrote! Just doing homework is not even studying (just a part of it), it's just exercising in order not to forget sth or remember!