Menu

Cancelled :( Update in first post :)

8filltheheart

Well, I'm not surprised that CLS was cancelled, but I am very disappointed by how the program handled it.  They simply told them canceled but, hey, you can reapply next yr.  😞

Update: Dd was contacted a couple of weeks ago that they were going to try to have an online version of CLS with course credit through Bryn Mawr.  Then they received approval but didn't have enough room for everyone.  She found out today she is one of the ones selected for the program!  So, not quite the same, but they have 1-on-1 intense language tutoring  and several hrs of language immersion/conversation per week on top of the other parts of the program, so she is happy (plus she gets 8 credits from BM and full access to CLS alumni supports.)  Best possible outcome in today's circumstances.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 11
  • Sad 14

11 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

I'm so sorry for your daughter, 8. ☹️

Thanks. I started to cry when she read me the email. We had been talking about how it would likely be canceled but we had hoped they might let them go next summer. To say just reapply means hours of work on the app with a very low probability of acceptance.  It's not like if they apply that they'll be accepted.

• Sad 7

FWIW, mine was rejected by the language program she applied to. We've been focusing on the opportunity she'll have to study abroad in college. It's not the same, but it WILL be an amazing opportunity which will bless and enrich her.

But the cancellation still stinks. ☹️

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

FWIW, mine was rejected by the language program she applied to. We've been focusing on the opportunity she'll have to study abroad in college. It's not the same, but it WILL be an amazing opportunity which will bless and enrich her.

But the cancellation still stinks. ☹️

Dd can't study abroad now. This wa to be her abroad summer. She'll be a sr next yr, so, poof, opportunity gone for UG abroad.  😞

• Sad 4

I'm sorry, too.  So many disappointments for students right now. 

For us, my daughter was supposed to participate in a summer research program that is only open to incoming freshmen.  That is not going to happen now and it was her only opportunity to do it.  Trying to keep it all in perspective, but it's hard.  

• Like 1

I'm so glad they sorted something out, although it's obviously not nearly as exciting as the original plan. Do you think she would consider applying for next summer as well? Students are allowed to participate twice, and you only have to be enrolled in college at the time of application;  it's OK to graduate before the summer program starts. So maybe she can still go abroad?

• Like 1

She can reapply.  She is struggling with that decision.  She is supposed to start her grad program next summer.  If she starts in the summer, she will complete it the following May based on the way the transition for the 5th yr masters program is designed.  

We have been having the conversation that she is footloose and fancy free.  She doesn't have to follow that original plan and can seize the opportunity for funded abroad if she is offered it next yr.  😉

• Like 1