Menu

PSA: AP exams (updated July 6th: stats being posted by Trevor Packer)

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update

“March 16, 2020

The AP Program is developing resources to help schools support student learning during extended closures, as well as a solution that would allow students to test at home, depending on the situation in May. Additional information will be posted by March 20.”

Their Facebook announcement 

“The College Board is developing tools to mitigate the impact of school closures on students in the Advanced Placement Program. All AP students and teachers will be able to draw on the free online resources that were provided to every AP classroom this fall. Additional resources will be made easily accessible to AP students and teachers through mobile phones and other devices. These include free online AP lessons and review sessions from some of the top AP teachers in the country.

The AP program is finalizing streamlined AP exam options that would allow students to test at home, depending on the situation in May. We’re working to give every AP student the opportunity to claim the credit they’ve earned. The AP Program will communicate the details of these additional solutions to educators and students by March 20. 

The College Board’s focus will remain on student safety and ensuring all students have the tools they need to work, and opportunities to receive the credit they have earned, during this challenging time.”

ETA:

@MEmama@RootAnn@Roadrunner@crazyforlatin

ETA:

"An interactive demo that simulates the online exam experience" https://ap2020examdemo.collegeboard.org/ 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I asked about this on one of my college counseling groups and people were so blase about it. Like, oh, they'll figure it out. What the actual pigs flying are you talking about!?

I have heard a portion of LSAT can be taken at home somehow. 
I don’t know what they will do and if they are able to do this without a massive cheating scandal, but I am glad they aren’t just outright cancelling everything. I think the best option is to push it into first week of June (and hope our quarantines have worked the magic by then). But it’s good they are at least thinking and working out alternatives. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I have heard a portion of LSAT can be taken at home somehow. 
I don’t know what they will do and if they are able to do this without a massive cheating scandal, but I am glad they aren’t just outright cancelling everything. I think the best option is to push it into first week of June (and hope our quarantines have worked the magic by then). But it’s good they are at least thinking and working out alternatives. 

On the thread about testing on the College Board, people have talked about some programs that monitor students as they test at home. I just don't see how they're going to get something serious together in time on that scale.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Farrar said:

On the thread about testing on the College Board, people have talked about some programs that monitor students as they test at home. I just don't see how they're going to get something serious together in time on that scale.

I hear you. I am keeping my fingers crossed but preparing that my kid will be studying all summer because they will delay those exams until August. I really would hate losing the summer, but I think that’s another possibility. 

30 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I hear you. I am keeping my fingers crossed but preparing that my kid will be studying all summer because they will delay those exams until August. I really would hate losing the summer, but I think that’s another possibility. 

This option scares me the most.  My son works a summer internship and was planning on taking a dual enrollment night class.  Can’t imagine how to continue to prep for four APs in the midst of all that...so. Much. Stress.  Sigh.

• Like 2

Cross-posted...

Schools are likely to not reopen this entire school year in California. Many of us are in a shelter in place lockdown already. The governor made this odd proclamation, but it makes me think - what about those students (like us homeschoolers who *want* and are ready to take the standardized tests and can't). It's fine to say kids shouldn't have the anxiety of test-taking during this crisis, but what about the anxiety of taking an entire AP class all year and not getting to take the AP test as planned? That is anxiety alone. So I think for many, if not all, there may be no AP testing... it's something we need to consider. 

The state has applied for a federal waiver that means children would not have to face academic tests once they eventually return to school, said Newsom, a Democrat.

“We think it is totally inappropriate for kids to worry about coming back and being tested," he said.
--
He also said that California  is requesting a waiver from the U.S. Department of Education to suspend the state’s annual standardized tests for this year. This week, the Legislature extended the window for testing by 45 days. But Newsom said that, in speaking with State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond and President of the State Board of Education Linda Darling Hammond, he recognized eliminating testing would be best for students.

57 minutes ago, mirabillis said:

Cross-posted...

Schools are likely to not reopen this entire school year in California. Many of us are in a shelter in place lockdown already. The governor made this odd proclamation, but it makes me think - what about those students (like us homeschoolers who *want* and are ready to take the standardized tests and can't). It's fine to say kids shouldn't have the anxiety of test-taking during this crisis, but what about the anxiety of taking an entire AP class all year and not getting to take the AP test as planned? That is anxiety alone. So I think for many, if not all, there may be no AP testing... it's something we need to consider. 

The state has applied for a federal waiver that means children would not have to face academic tests once they eventually return to school, said Newsom, a Democrat.

“We think it is totally inappropriate for kids to worry about coming back and being tested," he said.
--
He also said that California  is requesting a waiver from the U.S. Department of Education to suspend the state’s annual standardized tests for this year. This week, the Legislature extended the window for testing by 45 days. But Newsom said that, in speaking with State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond and President of the State Board of Education Linda Darling Hammond, he recognized eliminating testing would be best for students.

have you heard anything from your local school about APs?

i have been trying to PM you but can’t get through.

I deleted some PM messages. I haven't as all the schools are closed and will be until at least 4/8 if not through April onwards. Figure the last thing they need to hear is from a homeschooling mom so I haven't contacted them. Figure we'll just be on a wait and see. My kids keep taking their classes and will be prepared as if they are, but I know full well there may be no exam at all or maybe if lucky, a delayed exam. I don't think this whole AP-at-home thing will ever bear any fruit...

• Like 1

Whatever it’s going to be, they’re announcing it tomorrow. I get that California is saying that - and I don’t really disagree... but AP exams are optional. They can’t force the CB not to offer them. So then it’s a question of who’s going to try it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brigid in NC said:

The College Board has issued a statement about AP exams HERE.

“About This Year’s AP Exams

Students remain eager to take AP Exams and to have a chance to earn credit and placement. We surveyed 18,000 AP students and 91% indicated they want to complete this important step, urging us not to cancel this opportunity they have been working toward.

We’ll continue to support students with free resources through exam day. And while we encourage students to wait until closer to the test date to decide, any student already registered for an exam can choose to cancel at no charge. 

The AP Program will invest heavily over the next month in the following ways:

• For the 2019–20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online exam at home. Educator-led development committees are currently selecting the exam questions that will be administered. 
  • AP curricula are locally developed and we defer to local decisions on how best to help students complete coursework. To be fair to all students, some of whom have lost more instructional time than others, the exam will only include topics and skills most AP teachers and students have already covered in class by early March.
  • Colleges support this solution and are committed to ensuring that AP students receive the credit they have worked this year to earn. For decades, colleges have accepted a shortened AP Exam for college credit when groups of students have experienced emergencies. 
  • Students will be able to take these streamlined exams on any device they have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. Taking a photo of handwritten work will also be an option.
  • We recognize that the digital divide could prevent some low-income and rural students from participating. Working with partners, we will invest so that these students have the tools and connectivity they need to review AP content online and take the exam. If your students need mobile tools or connectivity, you can reach out to us directly to let us know.

Test security is a concern.

• The exam questions are designed and administered in ways that prevent cheating; we use a range of digital security tools and techniques, including plagiarism detection software, to protect the integrity of the exams.
  • Scoring at-home work for an AP Exam is not new to the AP Program. For years the AP Program has received and scored at-home student work as part of the exams for the AP Computer Science Principles and AP Capstone courses.”
  • Like 1

I really don’t know what he answer is.  Nothing will seem fair to everyone.  I have a kid who has plowed through all of the material for four AP exams (including the dreaded physics and Calc BC ) and he is frustrated that he won’t have a chance to show what he has learned.  I think the tests should cover the original content.  If students tried to self-study the new material, they just might find that they are more capable of self-directed learning than they thought.  That would be a win on many levels.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Hadley said:

I really don’t know what he answer is.  Nothing will seem fair to everyone.  I have a kid who has plowed through all of the material for four AP exams (including the dreaded physics and Calc BC )

He would appreciate plowing through all the material for Calc BC when he starts dual enrollment calculus 3 (or whatever the respective colleges call it). DS14 is taking the exam and I am making sure he revise everything before dual enrollment starts. DS15 is now in dual enrollment calculus.

As for physics C, my kids might minor in physics so they don’t mind plowing through. Both my kids have taken the physics C exams. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

He would appreciate plowing through all the material for Calc BC when he starts dual enrollment calculus 3 (or whatever the respective colleges call it). DS14 is taking the exam and I am making sure he revise everything before dual enrollment starts. DS15 is now in dual enrollment calculus.

As for physics C, my kids might minor in physics so they don’t mind plowing through. Both my kids have taken the physics C exams. 

He gets this, and I know that you are right. It’s just frustrating when the rules get changed in the middle of the game— no matter the reason. Life goes on.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hadley said:

He gets this, and I know that you are right. It’s just frustrating when the rules get changed in the middle of the game— no matter the reason. Life goes on.  

I am wondering about the writing portion for calculus BC and other subjects since it is free response questions. 

DS14 is taking the micro and macro economics exam and those usually have charts drawing. I am going to get a spare mouse because DS14 tends to spoil his and doesn’t like to use the trackpad on his laptop.

There will be more information released by April 3rd.

“The full exam schedule, specific free-response question types that will be on each AP Exam, and additional testing details will be available by April 3.”

• Like 1

I am really curious how this is going to work for English Language, The traditional FRQ is a 40+ minute essay but a single essay wouldn't be a fair guage of the course content. Maybe shorter FRQs similar to the Multiple Choice questions but without any choices given.

I sure hope they are outsourcing the infrastructure to support all these online tests for over a million students. Their recent in-house infrastructrure couldn't even support large numbers of students logging in to get exam scores each year as they have to stagger the access across a week.  This could be a complete debacle if students can't log in or get timed out etc..

• Like 3

Ds is in Lukieon AP Latin..he’s somewhat happy because their workload for the year as just dramatically cut. They’ve pretty much covered everything that will be on the test. At the same time, I think they will be at a disadvantage because I think Lukeion probably prepares them particularly well for the essay and Mrs. Barr thinks there will be no essay, or if there is one it will be a much smaller part of the test. Regardless, it’s a weird year. 

13 hours ago, 3andme said:

I am really curious how this is going to work for English Language, The traditional FRQ is a 40+ minute essay but a single essay wouldn't be a fair guage of the course content. Maybe shorter FRQs similar to the Multiple Choice questions but without any choices given.

It's all a guess at this point, but my guess is that the written work will not include a synthesis essay (super hard to pull off online since students have to toggle to sources).

Based on the online resource videos that are being offered for Lang next week, it looks like the focus will be on rhetorical analysis. Based on this description: "Explain how an argument demonstrates understanding of an audience’s beliefs, values, or needs."

There will be live online review sessions for the various AP courses/exams offered beginning next week, and the first week's schedule for those can be found HERE.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 9.11.07 AM.png

Edited by Brigid in NC

If schools happen to be open by may will it still be at home?  
how is it doing anyone a service to cut the content?  Offering the exam is fine, allowing them to get their money back is great, cutting content, not great.   If it is supposed to be representative of a certain college class, how is cutting out content from say calculus or chemistry or physics going to show that the student is ready to skip those classes in college?  Allowing a student to believe they are ready when they really aren’t is only going to hurt them down the road.

• Like 3

At this point they are trying to make do with what they have an I appreciate that. Even college courses are not going to be reflective of what they typically cover in a semester. Lecturers who are used to Socratic discussions are now having to offer their courses online and not all of them are able or  know how to.
MIT and some other colleges are making their courses pass/fail because they realize this is not the norm. Exceptions are being made and I appreciate the CB trying to make the most of this difficult time. 

I listened to a free webinar by Marco Learning this afternoon for AP teachers. It was very informative and interesting. The recording is available on their site. AP exams will be online only; there won't be any in-person AP exams (for 2020) according to what AP has tweeted. As AP has dictated the AP exams will be only 45 minutes, it was characterized in the webinar as an AP "quiz" which I thought was spot on. The content covered by AP exams has been shortened and for a few subjects like AP Calc AB and BC they are still deciding what will be covered and we were advised to keep checking the AP site for updates. We were told not to count on the live AP classes starting next week as the number of people trying to utilize those may result in tech issues. Will universities give students full credit for their AP exam scores? Supposedly, yes, but I can't think that AP has gotten agreement on that from every university. However, they will be offering free online lessons covering what they consider to be the remainder of the AP courses that students missed, so maybe colleges will take that into consideration. 

I know they are cutting the content covered on the AP exam to be fair to those students who cannot access online learning, and when you think of legal issues -- can they (legally) test what isn't being taught in public schools due to the pandemic? I'm not a lawyer but I don't think it would be wise. Public schools are already backing off of virtual learning being for a grade because not everyone has a computer and internet at home.  It is terrible for those students who are /will be ready to take the full AP exam in May that there's no option to take the full AP exam online. Some ideas were tossed around as to why it's only a 45-minute FRQ; no bathroom break needed, the $ being spent on tech for all AP students to take the exam online, security for the AP exam... I really hope the AP releases the rest of the needed information to prepare for their exams before April 3.

From Facebook 

“Daily optional lessons for most AP courses will begin tomorrow on YouTube. http://spr.ly/61811Q5iL. More coming soon. 

Lessons will be delivered by AP teachers from across the country and can be used alongside work teachers are giving their students. Teachers are welcome to join!

The first weeks will focus on the end of the course, key topics that colleges expect students to learn but won’t be on exams. Teachers will also provide exam prep each day. As exams approach, teachers will focus primarily on review of concepts/skills that could appear on exams.

Some lessons being taught this week:
#APUSH: 8.3 The Red Scare
#APBio: 7.2 Natural Selection
#APPsych: 8.1 Introduction to Psychological Disorders

See more topics being covered this week and the full course schedule here: http://spr.ly/61821Q5i0.”

ETA: 

AP® Classes and Review
YouTube Live https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/ap-class-schedule-daily.pdf

ETA:

@MEmama@RootAnn

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Crosspost 

https://apcoronavirusupdates.collegeboard.org/educators/taking-the-exams

“Before Exam Day 

In late April, we’ll provide AP students and educators with information on how to access the testing system on test day, and video demonstrations so that students can familiarize themselves with the system”

https://apcoronavirusupdates.collegeboard.org/educators/taking-the-exams/security

We've Designed the Exams with Security in Mind

• The exam format and questions are being designed specifically for an at-home administration, so points will not be earned from content that can be found in textbooks or online.
  • Each subject’s exam will be taken on the same day at the same time, worldwide.
  • On test day, students will be required to verify their identity and confirm the work they submitted is their own.

We'll Use Tools to Detect Plagiarism

• We’re using a range of digital security tools and techniques, including plagiarism detection software and post-administration analytics, to protect the integrity of the exams.
  • In addition, each student’s AP teacher will receive copies of the work the student submits to us, enabling teachers to spot inconsistencies with students’ known work.”

https://apcoronavirusupdates.collegeboard.org/educators/taking-the-exams/ap-exam-schedule?SFMC_cid=EM294654-&rid=97485225

“Exams by Local Start Times

Below are the primary exam dates. Makeup exam dates can be found below the Course Specific Exam Information.“

• 3 weeks later...

https://apcoronavirusupdates.collegeboard.org/coordinators/accommodations

“Students will be able to use their approved accommodations for 2020 AP Exams. This year the way accommodations are provided may be different because the exams are shorter and will be taken online at home. Specific information about accommodations for AP world language and culture exams will be available the week of April 27.

As always, students may only use accommodations that they've been approved for by the College Board Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office. 

General Information

• Students who have received approval for their accommodations don't need to submit any further requests. Their approvals will apply to this year's AP Exams.
  • Extended time will be provided through the online exam for students approved for this accommodation.
  • Online AP Exams will be compatible with assistive technology (e.g., screen-reader software) and zoom functionality in a browser.
  • The online AP Exam is optimized for use in the latest versions of Chrome (preferred), Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. The online exam won't be compatible with Internet Explorer 11. Before the exam, students should ensure they have access to one of the optimized browsers for the exam and determine which browser their screen reader software works with. Students should practice using their screen reader software in one of these browsers before the exam. 
  • Students approved to use specific devices or aids may use what they have access to at home.
  • To check the details of a student's approved accommodation, parents or students can sign in to the Big Future site using the username and password for the student's College Board account. 
  • AP coordinators don't need to submit a Nonstandard Administration Report (NAR) form this year. 
  • This year only, students approved for an accommodation such as a reader or scribe may be assisted by a family or household member while testing. Review the criteria for readers and writers.”

I received an email from the college board today with a comment that there are “no limits on scores of 3, 4, or 5”.  Any one know whether there limits before?  I wasn’t quite sure what they were getting at.

3 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

I received an email from the college board today with a comment that there are “no limits on scores of 3, 4, or 5”.  Any one know whether there limits before?  I wasn’t quite sure what they were getting at.

If you look at the total registration table, I don’t think there ever was a limit 

https://www.totalregistration.net/AP-Exam-Registration-Service/AP-Exam-Score-Distributions.php

I have the same parent email.

So if you hand write the exam and then scan it to the phone, can you email that To yourself and upload that on the desktop computer? I am not sure if it’s possible to upload from the phone. I don’t know how. So essentially can we be using both devices (phone and desktop) during the exam or do we need to pick one? Stupid questions I know, but I am so technologically challenged. 

33 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So if you hand write the exam and then scan it to the phone, can you email that To yourself and upload that on the desktop computer? I am not sure if it’s possible to upload from the phone. I don’t know how. So essentially can we be using both devices (phone and desktop) during the exam or do we need to pick one? 

I think they kind of expect the student to view the question on the tablet or phone, and use that to take photos of their answers for option 3. 

Option 2 is desktop/laptop and scanner (page 13). 

Page 12 "Option 1: Copy-and-paste a typed response, and then click Submit

Best device to use: laptop or desktop computer"

I am guessing pick one option. 

"Option 2: Attach a document and then click "Submit"
• Type your response in Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Notes, or a similar application. Don’t include images. Save your work often. • Save your document in one of these accepted file formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt, .odt • Type your AP ID and initials at the top of the response. • When the timer has 5 minutes remaining, attach your response and click Submit. • If your exam has two questions, you must create, save, attach, and submit two separate documents, one for each question. Exam day setup: side-by-side windows • Window 1 – Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge in which the exam question(s) will appear after you click on your e-ticket. § Displays test question(s) § Displays timer § Use to attach and submit text file • Window 2 –Where you type your document: a Google Doc, Microsoft Word, or Note"

page 14 of guide "Option 3: Attach photos of handwritten response and then click "Submit"

• Write your AP ID, initials, and page number at the top of EACHpage of the response. • Write your response clearly with dark pen or pencil. • When the timer has 5 minutes remaining, take a photo of your response in vertical orientation, i.e., not landscape. • One page per photo. If your response is longer than one page, you’ll need to attach multiple photos (maximum of 5 photos per test question) before clicking Submit. • Make sure to attach all of your pages before you click Submit. • Acceptable file formats: .png, .jpg, .jpeg.

Exam day setup: • Smart phone or tablet § Displays test question (you may need to scroll within a question) § Displays timer § Use to take photos of written work § Use to attach and submit photos of written work"

Edited by Arcadia

anyone heard the most recent webinar for AP teachers and care to share any tidbits? i understand there's something to do with getting an e-ticket to sign in... and if you don't sign in for your may date, you will automatically be sent an e-ticket for the june date. and if you don't go to either, then after that, you can request a refund. this is what i heard, but third person.

anyone know anything about this?

On 4/28/2020 at 5:14 PM, Arcadia said:

16 hours ago, mirabillis said:

anyone heard the most recent webinar for AP teachers and care to share any tidbits? i understand there's something to do with getting an e-ticket to sign in... and if you don't sign in for your may date, you will automatically be sent an e-ticket for the june date. and if you don't go to either, then after that, you can request a refund. this is what i heard, but third person.

anyone know anything about this?

It’s in the 51 page guide. The YouTube walkthrough also explains