Menu

What's with the ads?

OKBud

Homeschool plague purchases

We only have 3 devices in our house: laptop, my phone, DH's phone.

I'm considering getting a couple of tablets/e-readers for the kids so they can "go to the library".

It's really important to DH and me that they'd be only about the books, no games or YouTube etc.

What device would you suggest?

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

Our library closed before I could pick up the next history CD set.  I finally bought a subscription to The Great Courses Plus. Dc is ecstatic. So many courses, and so much time!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carriede said:

I'm considering getting a couple of tablets/e-readers for the kids so they can "go to the library".

It's really important to DH and me that they'd be only about the books, no games or YouTube etc.

Thanks 🙂

We have plain kindles and love them. 

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-now-with-a-built-in-front-light/dp/B07DLPWYB7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kindle+e-reader&qid=1584715420&sr=8-1

The Paperwhite would be the next step up but I've honestly never needed anything the plain kindles don't have, even before they got  a basic backlight. Unless they're going to make e-readers that have good color some day. I'd be all over that. 

I did pay extra to not see ads.

Edited by OKBud
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, OKBud said:

We have plain kindles and love them. 

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-now-with-a-built-in-front-light/dp/B07DLPWYB7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kindle+e-reader&qid=1584715420&sr=8-1

The Paperwhite would be the next step up but I've honestly never needed anything the plain kindles don't have, even before they got  a basic backlight. Unless they're going to make e-readers that have good color some day. I'd be all over that. 

I did pay extra to not see ads.

This is exactly the advice I needed. It's so cool that they put a backlight on the basic Kindle.

Do you think it's worth getting a case?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carriede said:

Do you think it's worth getting a case?

Oh yeah! Aside from making them more robust in general, the case puts the kindle to sleep when its closed. The batteries last so long on these things!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Oh yeah! Aside from making them more robust in general, the case puts the kindle to sleep when its closed. The batteries last so long on these things!

Good to know. Thanks for your help!

• Like 2

Because my other four kids will be home for the remainder of the year, I've gone ahead and ordered the books in my Amazon cart and a few other resources I'd been eyeing. I'm looking forward to using The Dyscalculia Toolkit with my younger ones and surprising my oldest two with some books. I also ordered a new guitar for my oldest son's upcoming birthday, and I'm thinking about buying a few (cheaper) instruments for everyone to play around with. Maybe a ukulele?  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, klmama said:

Our library closed before I could pick up the next history CD set.  I finally bought a subscription to The Great Courses Plus. Dc is ecstatic. So many courses, and so much time!!!

I don't know how old your kids are, but The Black Death on GCP series is excellent and interesting! And timely! I know several of us here liked it when it was released. Personally, I think it's one of the best Great Courses series there is and I've had GCP for a couple of years now and watched quite a few. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip!  Dc studied the Middle Ages last year, but might still be interested in listening.  Dc has three different sets going right now, only one of which was assigned, LOL!

Oh! You know what I want, is some of those notebooks that you write on real-ish paper but it scans it to the cloud and then you can erase it. Rocketbooks? 

Hmm. I'll put it off and see if I still want them in a bit. 

• Like 2

I finally bought a good quality USB microphone, so Wee Girl's cello tone is audible during her skyped lessons. It cost about the same as the tank of gas I'm saving by not driving to cello lessons for several weeks.

• Like 3

Waaaah I can't get any books from Amazon until April. How can they possibly deem those nonessential?!? Gasp!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Plum said:

Waaaah I can't get any books from Amazon until April. How can they possibly deem those nonessential?!? Gasp!

They stopped shipping books?? 

1 hour ago, OKBud said:

They stopped shipping books?? 

Depends on the type of book? Writing with Skill won’t be delivered until April 18. A Wrinkle in Time can arrive on Monday. Some are on sale right now too. Some of the curriculum-type books I had in my cart last week started to say they can’t be delivered until mid-late April  

on the WWSbook page: 

Extended delivery time: We’re temporarily prioritizing the delivery of some items in order to serve our customers in need and ensure the safety of our associates. As a result, some delivery times are longer than usual. Amazon's response to COVID-19.

At the same time:
Get 3 for the price of 2.
Limited-time offer
See terms and conditions 
Get 3 for the price of 2. Offered by Amazon.com. (restrictions apply) 

Add 3 items from the selection on this page to your Shopping Basket via the "Add to Basket". When you're done shopping, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button. The Offer will be automatically applied to your total customer order value at checkout if you are eligible. 

Edited by Plum
  • Like 3

The books might be related to Amazon not holding supplies from third party vendors at their warehouses anymore to provide room for essentials.  They were selling what was already there, but not accepting new stuff.  

• Like 6

Our card table arrived a couple days ago and has already been used for multiple games!

I also ordered some books from the "get 3 for the price of 2" sale. Two of them are for school for DS, and the third is a logic/puzzles book for the girls. Shipping was slightly delayed for two and more delayed for the third. 

Tinkercrates. Lots of Tinkercrates.

And Kiwicrates. Even more Kiwicrates than Tinkercrates.

However, they're actually really wonderful. Everyone is entertained, plus all the materials are included in the box.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 1:03 PM, OKBud said:

Oh! You know what I want, is some of those notebooks that you write on real-ish paper but it scans it to the cloud and then you can erase it. Rocketbooks? 

Hmm. I'll put it off and see if I still want them in a bit. 

If you live where it is hot, do not leave them in your car!  Although, I guess no one is really going anywhere right now so they wouldn't be in the car......

I plague purchased a ton of books from Amazon last week for the kids and glad i did because now there is the dreaded "essential items" come first type of message. (Ironically Alexa is an essential item....). These were listed as a necessity for cooped up kids and therefore did not trigger the Jeep Accessory Penalty Clause into effect. 🙃

• Like 2

I took advantage of the free month of Beast Academy Online. DS just finished 3B & is taking a break before moving on to 3C. I’ll let him go through the 2nd grade series (which was not yet released when we started BA) digitally to see how he likes the format.

I also grabbed art supplies (liquid watercolors, oil pastels, art paper, paintbrushes) which I’ll slip into DS’ Easter basket.

We have an extensive home library & while DS reads willingly when assigned, he only pleasure reads when strapped into the car - which clearly isn’t happening much at the moment - so we’re not missing the library too badly just yet...

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 3:32 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My Gatherer genes are kicking in. I have plenty of food and home goods for now, so I'm turning to wanting to stockpile books and curriculum for future years. Someone take the computer away............

Yes!

I’m buying vintage stuff I used with the oldest kids! Why?

Hello Oregon Trail! Why, yes, I did buy a GeoSafari. I bought Echo Dots for Audible and more audiobooks. I have a friend who bought outdoor play equipment and a trampoline.... smart woman!

• Like 5

I bought the Evan Moor e-book STEM challenges. It gives my 8yo something to build instead of (in addition to) bugging his brothers.

• Like 2

Just went to abebooks and purchased a bunch of Jim Murphy history books. They have been a big hit with DS9 and DS11. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 12:42 AM, carriede said:

Thanks 🙂

If your library has kindle books (NZ doesn't)  I would suggest basic kindles.  Ds10 and I have refurbished non touch ones at the moment and I think I prefer them to the touch version.  I can read and turn pages with one hand and clean the screen.  Touch is better if you want to look up definitions though - it is really nice just to touch the word and get the definition.

• Like 1

We bought a ping pong table. Not for school, but for our sanity. It arrived on Wednesday and we set it up in the living room. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

We bought a ping pong table. Not for school, but for our sanity. It arrived on Wednesday and we set it up in the living room. 

Nice!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, Sarah0000 said:

I bought the Evan Moor e-book STEM challenges. It gives my 8yo something to build instead of (in addition to) bugging his brothers.

I’ll have to check this one out. DS is loving one of their Critical & Creative Thinking books that was passed on to us, but its the 5th grade version so I don’t think there is a another level for him to move on to afterwards. Does it require a bunch of special supplies, or just generic household items? 

ETA: Oooh, I stand corrected - The Critical & Creative Thinking books have one more level available, and I had enough rewards points to get it for FREE!  I’ll look into the STEM books as well 🙂

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax
  • Like 1

I'm trying to decide what to buy from the Teachers Pay Teachers Sale. It ends tonight!

On 4/7/2020 at 8:51 AM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

I’ll have to check this one out. DS is loving one of their Critical & Creative Thinking books that was passed on to us, but its the 5th grade version so I don’t think there is a another level for him to move on to afterwards. Does it require a bunch of special supplies, or just generic household items? 

ETA: Oooh, I stand corrected - The Critical & Creative Thinking books have one more level available, and I had enough rewards points to get it for FREE!  I’ll look into the STEM books as well 🙂

So far I've only seen supplies that people should already have at home, easy to get at the grocery store, or easy to make/buy at a craft store.

A few of the projects I had my son build a Lego model instead of a crafty version. There's room for variation since the kids are suppose to design their own.

• Like 1

I've bought far too many books due to the library closures but at least I bought most of it used from Better World Books so it didn't break the bank (that is the excuse I'm using, at least.) I also bought a used set of OM 2 for DS7 to start in the next couple of months as well as Dancing Bears/ Apples and Pears because AAR/AAS was surprisingly a major fail with him and he did much better with the Dancing Bears samples. DS10 finished Math Mammoth 4B and asked me for "something like this, but more colorful" so I bought him Singapore 5A to try. I agree about the plague curriculum hoarding urge, I'm fighting to resist it as much as possible but...

Edited by Shahrazad
  • Like 1

The next 2 grades of R&S English, spelling, and math before the end of their annual spring textbook sale. 😁

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

I bought whiteboards, assorted markers, and magnetic clips, trying a new organizational idea for the boys. And I bought a new-used laptop. We have needed another one for a while because my 11yo keeps wanting mine to play minecraft with his best friend. So I bought a new one for myself. (It isn't here yet.)  Oh, and a couple of big packs of paint and drawing paper for my middles, which they needed anyway. 

I would say I would buy school stuff for next year, but I already did that before the plague hit. 

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

Completely new here and looking into some homeschooling resources due to the shutdown. I heard that Amazon was making some of their resources for children available for free. I'm also looking into programs that offer core curricula for 1st-3rd graders (math, science, social studies, etc). I've seen some reviews of a program called Beestar. There appear to be several options, so I wanted to know if anyone has used this system before?

I've been buying toys--turns out I need more home entertainment options when we're not spending a good portion of our week in outside activities. So far we've added more blocks, marble runs, and dolls. Oh, and bows and arrows--toy ones with rubber tips but they shoot surprisingly well.

• Like 3

Realized via the planning threads that I’d already purchased nearly all of our curricula for next year  & had a good amount left over in our homeschooling fund, so I decided to stock up on art supplies!

We now have printmaking supplies (ink, brayers, trays, carving board, print paper), a flower press, & jumbo bottles of tempera paint.

Also got the next book in a series of reverso poems DS loves & a magnetic poetry set, because he really enjoyed playing with the one at the library. 

• Like 2

I just bought nice headphones for all the electronics in the house.  Some with cords and some without.  They will not be here for a week (what???? These are ESSENTIAL at this stage) but I am hoping just being able to know that they are coming will help lower tempers here.

• Like 1

We'll, I did cave and buy a Thinking Tree journal because the price was good. 

I've also ordered yogurt starter for a science experiment. It's not something I would usually buy, but maybe I'll like it. 

• Like 2

Apparently I have purchased NZ$120 worth of Rick Riordan Books.  I had okayed the purchases I just didn't realise how much it was adding up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I’ve been purchasing games galore.  Kanoodle, Kanoodle extreme, The Memory Palace, The Once Upon a Time game, Math Builder, Fraction Formula, Tangoes, Mind Benders.  I need an intervention.

We’ve been doing an hour of reading each morning from various history, geography, literature and science books and then just playing games.  I think we’re learning and retaining more this way.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WoolC said:

I’ve been purchasing games galore...  I need an intervention. 

I did this at Christmas. DS actually commented that I might have purchased too many new games. What?!

Guess who’s getting the last laugh now... 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I just dropped $$$ on art supplies—things for sculpture, printmaking, and painting. I also bought most of Let’s Read and Find Out Level 2. (I should have done this for my first kid and instead am doing it for my fifth!) I bought a couple of puzzles. While I was at it, I bought next year’s school stuff as well. I am planning it all out now in the hopes that if we get to go out this summer all of my normal summer work will already be done.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2020 at 8:43 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Dh informed me tonight that if I want to keep panic buying more books and homeschool programs he'll happily buy a snorkel and a winch for this Jeep to even out the purchasing. 😳

*pictures a snorkel for a Jeep* 🙂 That's some serious off-roading!

I'm pondering more Great Courses, or maybe a subscription. In general, I don't like subscription as a way to buy things.

Update 5/13: I bought 4 Great Courses on DVD while they were on sale. History (3 US topics + Spain).

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This recently arrived:

I’m excited to read it. I catch my breath when  I realize I’m going to have a child in high school next year. 

5D7A5AAC-F95A-4E31-8660-95F624439FA9.jpeg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Acorn said:

This recently arrived:

Did you get the study guide too? I have the book but I need to get the guide to go over for making decisions...

@OKBud

I only have the book. It’s ridiculous how many books are in my waiting to read shelf. I’ll be mostly on summer vacation in two weeks, so  it’s time to figure out my reading order. 

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2020 at 6:16 PM, OKBud said:

I found myself self-comforting by reading through homeschool curricula websites lol. I know I am not alone. 

I didn't get anything like that at the end of the day, but I did order a Talkbox.mom box, so I'll be able to update with a review of that sometime relatively soon 🙂 

Has anyone else bought anything new lately, because of the plague or otherwise?

Late to the party, but I went ahead and bought my entire curriculum for next year. I was depressed about everything getting cancelled, so, of course, the solution was to buy a million books. 😉

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 12:06 AM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

I did this at Christmas. DS actually commented that I might have purchased too many new games. What?!

Guess who’s getting the last laugh now... 😉

Puzzles. I bought loads of Puzzles. ❤️

• Like 1