Menu

What's with the ads?

OKBud

Homeschool plague purchases

I found myself self-comforting by reading through homeschool curricula websites lol. I know I am not alone. 

I didn't get anything like that at the end of the day, but I did order a Talkbox.mom box, so I'll be able to update with a review of that sometime relatively soon ūüôā¬†

Has anyone else bought anything new lately, because of the plague or otherwise?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, OKBud said:

I found myself self-comforting by reading through homeschool curricula websites lol. I know I am not alone. 

I didn't get anything like that at the end of the day, but I did order a Talkbox.mom box, so I'll be able to update with a review of that sometime relatively soon ūüôā¬†

Has anyone else bought anything new lately, because of the plague or otherwise?

We recently ordered talkbox as well.

If we are stuck at home maybe I'll actually be able to make time to try it!

• Haha 1

I wiped off the packages that came today. I am considering ordering more science supplies. But other than that I am good. I am hoping to use stuff up I have as I have so much sitting around.

edited to add: I just went and looked up Talk Box and it looks very good!!!!!

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

A lockpicking set. Total impulse buy. Ds likes those little metal puzzles and I thought this would be next level.¬†ūü§∑‚Äć‚ôÄÔłŹ

I also splurged on the big bottle of glo germ lotion and I got the powder from Home Science Tools. I'm planning on doing a bunch of experiments with it. What surface or object in the house gets touched the most? How well do you clean the counter? How much did you touch your face? Does soap and water work as well as cleaner with bleach? 

PSA Never walk around your house with a UV light if you can help it!¬†ūüėĪūüė≥ūü§Ę¬†We've had this carpet since they were babies. Just because you can't see the stain, doesn't mean it's not there. Also boys and bathrooms are gross no matter the age. You were warned. ūüėā¬†

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

Jim Weiss mp3s because I'm not up for reading aloud. We'll see what else I wind up buying in the next week. I guess. ETA: Our library closed before I could send DH to get audiobooks.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

I had to buy two books next day prime from Amazon because my library announced on Saturday that they were closing the next day.  Naturally, no transfers are done on weekends, so I wasn't even able to pick up the holds I had put in earlier in the week.  I expect to end up buying a lot of books and prime videos over the next two months.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 2

We just started a new round of curriculum and I had bought everything two weeks ago.  I am SO glad I did.  And I am so glad that I bought the literature packages instead of my usual "I'll just use the library".  Because, well, the library shut down.  ugh!  We are stuck here with no activities, no sports and no library.....but we have all of our curriculum, so we should be able to cover a lot of ground over the next couple of weeks or for however long this goes on for.

• Like 9

I almost bought four potholder looms last night to keep the boys' hands busy. I put it off until this morning, and then I remembered that we have some beginners cross-stitch materials set aside and I think I'll take those out this afternoon. It's supposed to be rainy and cold for the rest of the week, so this should keep them busy until it's outdoors weather again.

But, the potholder looms are still in my shopping cart, just in case!

• Like 4

I ordered craft supplies (vinyl for the cutter, blank t-shirts, jewelry charms, carabiners....). If we can ever have our piano recital,the kids will be getting really full gift bags :).

• Like 1

Well, I've been meaning to contact someone about Spanish lessons for my kids. I'd considered talkboxmom in the past, but would prefer in-person tutoring. So just this morning, I thought "I should just order a talkboxmom box."

Then I hopped on here. And now I know I am not the only one with that thought! I think I am convinced to do it!

• Haha 2

Does not purchasing something¬†count? My oldest has been saving up his money for a new guitar. We offered to pay half because his first guitar was cheap.¬†He thinks he knows¬†which one he wants, but¬†wanted to go to guitar center to test them out again.¬†¬†Dh did not like that plan. Who knows how often¬†they clean those display guitars (I‚Äôm sure they've¬†updated¬†their cleaning regimen)¬†besides¬†there‚Äôs people there. ūüėĪ So dh offered to give ds his guitar since he plays it all the time anyway and dh hasn‚Äôt had much time to play lately and has been more into piano these days. Ds picked it out for dh and I bought it, so this gesture is not small. ‚̧ԳŹūü鳬†

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Evanthe said:

We just started a new round of curriculum and I had bought everything two weeks ago.  I am SO glad I did.

We just got everything for Sonlight F and J a few weeks ago and though I decided not to use them (I have the cores for sale!) I am sooo pleased to have all the new books. We're read, narrate, write from here on out. 

Plum a lockpicking kit is such a good idea. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, barnwife said:

Well, I've been meaning to contact someone about Spanish lessons for my kids. I'd considered talkboxmom in the past, but would prefer in-person tutoring. So just this morning, I thought "I should just order a talkboxmom box."

Then I hopped on here. And now I know I am not the only one with that thought! I think I am convinced to do it!

haha see. The done thing.

• Haha 1

YES!¬†ūüėā¬†I find myself with all of this time and finally get to start planning for next year! I purchased a couple of Gather Round Units and have my Biblioplan cart loaded and ready to go. I need to stop spending money because I think my dh spent it on all groceries and I shouldn't be spending anything for a few months . . .¬†ūüėę

At the convention I bought: 

A couple of @Renai's books:https://www.adelantespanishforall.com/books-and-supplements

Biblioplan Year 4 (because my most awesome IRL homeschooling friend has all 4 years and has done awesomeness with them as a spring board)

This science program https://www.explorationeducation.com/Svideo.html for ds8. 

Cantering the Country (before I decided to buy Biblioplan for ideas), but can never hurt to have more resources! 

At home now I'm about to order next levels of Saxon for us to start- can you believe no one was selling it at the convention?!!? 

And I've had to step away from several other Lit heavy catalogues today to stop from panic buying all of the literature collections as I find great comfort in huge boxes of books coming to my door step. If they close down our bars and restaurants I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order 2 cores of Sonlight just to have ginormous boxes of books to look forward too. 

And @Another Lynn- I totally agree. I re-upped my subscription to First Leaf. 

It's full on "Prep of Important Things" mode in the Æthelthryth household. 

This is a happy thread. Thanks for starting it. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, barnwife said:

I teach live online Spanish classes. ūüėĀ (¬†https://outschool.com/teachers/Renai-Ruiz#usWYh7px2U) Although, I will say I've purchased a Talkbox for Mandarin Chinese (3rd language).

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 7:38 PM, Syllieann said:

I had to buy two books next day prime from Amazon because my library announced on Saturday that they were closing the next day.  Naturally, no transfers are done on weekends, so I wasn't even able to pick up the holds I had put in earlier in the week.  I expect to end up buying a lot of books and prime videos over the next two months.

I've been rechecking SWB's Story of Science all year from the library. I check it out, recheck as long as I can because we read a chapter a week in our read alouds for history, then turn in and reserve it. I do that with several textbooks year when I can to save purchasing all at once. This gives me an excuse to add it to my shelves because of course I had just turned it in. 

When I realized how fast things were happening, dd15 and I reserved about six movies that we had planned to check out from the library for history go alongs. We got three in before they closed shop. 

No library is so foreign. I've homeschooled with the library from the beginning ala WTM. 

I don't need hardly anything for next year. I only need to replace 2nd grade math workbooks and a Fourth Form Latin workbook. 

I was planning on picking out a planner and stocking up on fun construction papers at convention. Ours isn't canceled yet, but I'm bracing myself for the possibility. Online ordering is not as fun. I'll pick out things and order from my usual vendors if I can.

So for fun, I'll throw in a Thinking Tree workbook for dd6 as a splurge. 

The library's got to open by next fall. Right. I can handle about anything closed, but not that. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 5

On 3/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, Janeway said:

I wiped off the packages that came today. I am considering ordering more science supplies. But other than that I am good. I am hoping to use stuff up I have as I have so much sitting around.

edited to add: I just went and looked up Talk Box and it looks very good!!!!!

This is what I'm thinking. I have more time for all those things I never have time for. 

And I just now decided I'm going to get a blood test kit for a biology lab. Just came up in a conversation and dd15 is doing biology. Some of her projects are at home, but one is in a public place and is on hold for a bit, so this will be fun. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

Rainbow Resource is conspiring against me tonight. Every time I get everything in my cart to check out it resets. Finally got it all put back and went to check out and they had a mandatory previous account password reset. Did that and everything fell out of the cart again back to 0. I'm starting to think dh has got minions at work here behind the scenes.¬†ūüĎŅ

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

And I just now decided I'm going to get a blood test kit for a biology lab. Just came up in a conversation and dd15 is doing biology. Some of her projects are at home, but one is in a public place and is on hold for a bit, so this will be fun. 

I couldn‚Äôt get mine to work. Maybe I‚Äôm defective. IDK. Others said they got theirs to work. I bought a 5 pack and tested it out on myself before subjecting my children¬†to it. I didn‚Äôt bother having them do it. One is easily nauseous at the thought of blood and it didn‚Äôt seem like it would be worth putting him through that. ūüôĀ¬†

Hoping your tests go well. ūü§ě

15 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Biblioplan Year 4 (because my most awesome IRL homeschooling friend has all 4 years and has done awesomeness with them as a spring board)

I love¬†Biblioplan. ¬†I spent hours looking at it 2-3 years ago and I really wanted to try a year. ¬†I showed it all to the kids..... and they didn't like it. ¬†‚ėĻÔłŹ¬†¬†I probably should've just told them we're doing it anyway! ¬†

We ended up buying Beautiful Feet.  This is our first week, but I'm liking it a lot!  It's not overwhelming and they have good taste in books.  The Gilgamesh book is really neat.  The timeline is nice - easy to put together.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Evanthe said:

I love¬†Biblioplan. ¬†I spent hours looking at it 2-3 years ago and I really wanted to try a year. ¬†I showed it all to the kids..... and they didn't like it. ¬†‚ėĻÔłŹ¬†¬†I probably should've just told them we're doing it anyway! ¬†

We ended up buying Beautiful Feet.  This is our first week, but I'm liking it a lot!  It's not overwhelming and they have good taste in books.  The Gilgamesh book is really neat.  The timeline is nice - easy to put together.

My friend makes the coolest reading lists for all of her kids I've ever seen, and BP is one of her great resources she told me, so I'm copy catting. I also liked that they offer supplemental ideas like videos etc. for things.  I know I won't stick to it exactly at all- but it's so open ended I think it'll be easy to play with. I want to be able to work through more modern American History  with the kids and the election year, so I thought this would be able to help me piece together what I want, and make cool reading lists too like Friend. She uses a combo of Honey for A ....., RAR, BP etc.

I only bought whatever the The Guide and the textbook (it hasn't arrived yet so I forgot what it's called)- I didn't buy the time-line or maps etc. I am still using my KONOS timeline (and a lot of KONOS)  that has taken over 15' of my hallway- I love the KONOS timeline (especially if my cat would stop trying to rip if off the walls). 

I've bought several of the BF books they brought back into print, but I've never looked at their actual program. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Rainbow Resource is conspiring against me tonight. Every time I get everything in my cart to check out it resets. Finally got it all put back and went to check out and they had a mandatory previous account password reset. Did that and everything fell out of the cart again back to 0. I'm starting to think dh has got minions at work here behind the scenes.¬†ūüĎŅ

FWIW, I had to go to my browser settings and delete all Rainbow Resource cookies before it really accepted my new password reset.¬† Took me months to figure that out.¬† But since your order went through, maybe you're okay ūüôā¬†

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, serendipitous journey said:

FWIW, I had to go to my browser settings and delete all Rainbow Resource cookies before it really accepted my new password reset.¬† Took me months to figure that out.¬† But since your order went through, maybe you're okay ūüôā¬†

It does it to me all the time now too and I have to login after I put each and every item in my cart lol. It will save the cart if I do that though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Renai said:

I will say I've purchased a Talkbox for Mandarin Chinese

So what do you think?!

I've made most of my purchases for next school year (from CLE, Rainbow Resource, CBD)...but I was in the midst of buying when all this broke. 

Impulse purchases:  I bought some books on Amazon for myself to read during the library hiatus. (Though let's be honest: I have enough books to last through the year...I just wanted them.)

• Like 1

Home Science Tools just came out with Coronavirus science kits. They have 2 one for youngest (coming soon) and one for older kids. I emailed them with my invoice number asking to buy the student and teacher guides separately since I already made my own kit. ūüėāūüôŹūüŹĽ

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Plum said:

I emailed them with my invoice number asking to buy the student and teacher guides separately since I already made my own kit.

#homeschoolproblems #everythingisateachablemoment #theyshouldbepayingPlum

• Haha 4

My Gatherer genes are kicking in. I have plenty of food and home goods for now, so I'm turning to wanting to stockpile books and curriculum for future years. Someone take the computer away............

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My Gatherer genes are kicking in. I have plenty of food and home goods for now, so I'm turning to wanting to stockpile books and curriculum for future years. Someone take the computer away............

Yes. Self-soothing with books and the comfort of the idea that we'd keep on keepin' on, come what may.  

There are worse things.

• Like 2

This book. It’s a notch above Horrible Histories in gruesomeness. The kids have been able to take it though. Fun read. 

A8F2A06A-6164-49EC-AA99-30E07649E442.jpeg

37A11E13-9BA2-485D-A865-BB18E041CEBC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

This is a dangerous place to linger if you don't want to be tempted to buy books.¬† Signed, a girl who has bought tons of books because of the WTM Forums.¬† ūüėÉ

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, cintinative said:

This is a dangerous place to linger if you don't want to be tempted to buy books.¬† Signed, a girl who has bought tons of books because of the WTM Forums.¬† ūüėÉ

Dh informed me tonight that if I want to keep panic buying more books and homeschool programs he'll happily buy a snorkel and a winch for this Jeep to even out the purchasing.¬†ūüė≥

That might have just helped me put the brakes on. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

@barnwife

I bought the first box of Talkbox.mom Spanish.  It was beautifully packaged... I just don't think it can do much more than supplement for us.  Kids have taken Spanish lessons since K and know most of the vocab in the first box.  I also am using Getting Started with Spanish for my at home supplement to teacher's homework.  GSWS is much easier to get done.... I don't know, maybe I will try to incorporate talkbox again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, parent said:

know most of the vocab in the first box.

If the vocabulary was new, would you have gotten more use from it, you think?

• Like 1

Does family cloth count? It will be a functional backup plan for when/if we run out of tp. This experience will serve as lessons in stewardship of the earth's resources, economics (saving money), home ec (learning to do laundry), health and hygeine. Yep, homeschooling at it's finest. ūüėĀ

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Does family cloth count? It will be a functional backup plan for when/if we run out of tp. This experience will serve as lessons in stewardship of the earth's resources, economics (saving money), home ec (learning to do laundry), health and hygeine. Yep, homeschooling at it's finest. ūüėĀ

I've been pondering that.  I used cloth diapers and wipes for years, and cloth pads for many more years after that, so it doesn't seem crazy at all to me.  I have a modest stash of tp, but if this keeps going like it does and I can't back-fill, that would solve some problems.  Have to say I looooved not having to shop for feminine supplies for decades...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I've been pondering that.  I used cloth diapers and wipes for years, and cloth pads for many more years after that, so it doesn't seem crazy at all to me.  I have a modest stash of tp, but if this keeps going like it does and I can't back-fill, that would solve some problems.  Have to say I looooved not having to shop for feminine supplies for decades...

I justified my purchase with knowing we already cloth diaper our youngest and I'm pregnant with another due this summer so we'll likely have two in cloth for at least a little while and extra wipes will be needed. Using them as family cloth (if necessary) should be pretty easy since we've already had our cloth diaper routine firmly established for the past year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

I justified my purchase with knowing we already cloth diaper our youngest and I'm pregnant with another due this summer so we'll likely have two in cloth for at least a little while and extra wipes will be needed. Using them as family cloth (if necessary) should be pretty easy since we've already had our cloth diaper routine firmly established for the past year.

Yep.  Having had 3 kids in cloth diapers/wipes at once, which ended up being much less of a big deal than you'd think, washing a bit of family cloth does not seem at all daunting (vs having to go use the hose!).  It's been a while, but I know the routine...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As for actual curriculum: I have been researching like crazy, destashing stuff I have no intention of using/reusing, and my Amazon shopping cart and wishlist are being balanced to fit our budget before I checkout because DS9 loves to read and I have created a list of potential literature books for him that is about a gazillion miles long!

I'm also considering a DIY kombucha making kit (thanks to the tea thread) for scientific purposes, of course.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Dh informed me tonight that if I want to keep panic buying more books and homeschool programs he'll happily buy a snorkel and a winch for this Jeep to even out the purchasing.¬†ūüė≥

That might have just helped me put the brakes on. 

I joked the other day that we were starting to drown in books. Dh said, "Starting to?" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I don't know if it was the virus, but I did all the sudden need Book 2 of Hoizons math and several more readers of Abeka.  I was trying out Abeka readers and he likes them so we are sticking with it.  So, now I have to decide between Abaka Reading/LA or CLE for 3rd grade next year. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mbelle said:

I don't know if it was the virus, but I did all the sudden need Book 2 of Hoizons math and several more readers of Abeka.  I was trying out Abeka readers and he likes them so we are sticking with it.  So, now I have to decide between Abaka Reading/LA or CLE for 3rd grade next year. 

I love the Abeka readers. 

• Like 1

Last night, I bought several levels of Balance Benders books for DS10 & DS7 (ebook versions, so I can print and bind at home).

Ballet class for Children video download 

Our regular PE class is cancelled so we're going to try this at home. None of us are graceful or coordinated, so it should be a hoot ūüėČ

• Like 4