Menu

Disinfectant Experiments (Old Thread + New Link)

vonbon

Searching my WTM "Content I Follow" threads tonight and found this old one: 

It's been archived, so I can't resurrect it...  But it did lead me to find this updated website (same author)...  Lots of interesting info and, if anyone can turn the current crisis into a homeschool lesson, it's the people on these boards.  I've been tempted to do a science unit study on this for years...

http://www.dranniesexperiments.com/cleaning-product-testing/cleaning-products-page-6

Anyway, interesting site.  Seems apropos as many are self-isolating and disinfecting.  

• Like 1

Not surprising, none of the products that actually work are in stock at Amazon (ie the peroxide)  But the Pyoure has a new website, www.homageco.com

I wonder if medical supply stores are being swarmed by folks looking for more effective, hospital grade cleaners....

• Like 1

I had been sanitizing phones, keyboards, etc., with cotton balls and Ispopropyl Alcohol 70%, thinking that would do the trick.  Even read that 70% was better than 91%, due to cell membrane ruptures vs speed of evaporation or something of that nature... 😉

After reading through her website and looking at all of those petri dishes, I'm thinking hydrogen peroxide is the way to go.  How did I miss that?  Why was I thinking alcohol would work well?  Her experiments seem to suggest it's not much more effective than water.  ?

17 hours ago, jen3kids said:

Not surprising, none of the products that actually work are in stock at Amazon (ie the peroxide)  But the Pyoure has a new website, www.homageco.com

Yeah, I found that homageco.com website...  Looks intriguing, effective...cool idea...interesting entrepreneurship...but, honestly, I'm probably not going to splash out on $44/bottle cleaner...  🤣