Menu

Anxiety, Testing and Math Phobia

Does/has anyone dealt with a child who has severe testing anxiety?  Dd needs to take the SAT, and on top of that, is extremely math phobic.  I know that some schools are test optional but looking for some been there/done that scenarios.  And when I say math phobic, think the extreme.  She has accommodations but I don't know if it will cover something like this.  She does not test well at all, has not passed any of her AP Environmental tests this year.  Knows the material, takes the tests in her counselor's office, still freezes. 

Just looking for some ideas or schools that you have had experience with.  Her gpa is running between a 3.3 or 3.5, wants to major in theater arts.  Thank you in advance!

Have you considered going to a local community college for an Associates degree? In our area, the SAT/ACT is totally optional because the community college gives its own untimed placement test --- you can even pause the test and come back to finish it another day. And after you've earned an Associate's degree, you've proven you can do college-level work, so the big colleges don't require the SAT/ACT when you transfer in. The rules may be different where you live, but it's worth looking into --- and as a bonus, you save a ton of money going the community college route.

• Like 2

You might help reduce testing anxiety through desensitization -- take 15-30 minutes each day for the 2-3 months before formal ACT/SAT testing, and do a section of a practice test at home. Set it up formally, run through all the blah-blah that the proctors will do, have her do the section with  the time limit, quietly collect it, and set it aside -- no worries about the score, it's no big deal. It's all about just getting relaxed about testing. Just do the practices over and over, with not worrying about what the scores are. It's about getting used to testing in formal "set up" mode. And after each practice test, just move on. I'd suggest slowly working you way up to "full test scenario", adding one more "element" of a "real test situation" every few days, or once a week -- at whatever speed she can handle the ramping up. 

Be sure to include practicing of stress reduction techniques as you are in the midst of practice testing -- she notices she is starting to stress, she stops and closes her eyes and does deep slow relaxation breathing. Breathe in slowly through the nose to a count of 8, fully expanding lungs and abdomen, hold for a count of 8, then breathe out through the mouth to a count of 8, fully deflating lungs and abdomen. Also very helpful: breathe in to a count of 7, and as you do so tense every muscle in the body as hard as you can. Hold for a count of 7, then as you breathe out to a count of 7, relax every muscle in the body.  

Also -- use visualization techniques to calm. Etc. See some of the quick "in the moment" calming techniques here. I've also heard that you can use a rubber band around the wrist to interrupt build-up of anxious thoughts -- the moment the freight train of anxiety tries to leave the station of your brain, snap the rubber band to physically jolt yourself out of that line of thinking, and replace with deep breathing, visualization, or calming mantra sentence. Or simply replace the anxiety thoughts with the truth, repeated to herself several times -- example: "The truth is that this is not a big deal and I will be done with this by lunch and enjoying the beautiful day (or petting my dog, or ....)"

And try working towards a diet rich in foods that help reduce anxiety, and cut out things like caffeine and sugar -- at least before testing. 😉 

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

Thanks!  She really wants the experience of going away to college, living in dorms.  I don't know if that's going to happen...but I want to make sure she has the opportunity.  

She does use the rubber band principle right now for her regular classes.  I'm thinking what was suggested, working through a little bit at a time.  My school site does offer the SAT in the fall, so she would be with staff members she is comfortable with, knows, which could probably set her somewhat at ease.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, readinmom said:

Thanks!  She really wants the experience of going away to college, living in dorms.  I don't know if that's going to happen...but I want to make sure she has the opportunity.  

She does use the rubber band principle right now for her regular classes.  I'm thinking what was suggested, working through a little bit at a time.  My school site does offer the SAT in the fall, so she would be with staff members she is comfortable with, knows, which could probably set her somewhat at ease.  

Then I'd suggest working daily at home on just the concept of testing with practice SAT tests, and then work up to actually practicing at the site at your school where she would take the test. If it becomes a daily or 3x/week thing for her, and you help her incorporate additional stress reduction techniques every time she practices, she will be able to desensitize to testing by the time the fall rolls around. BEST of luck to both of you!

• Like 1