Menu

What's with the ads?

Patty Joanna

What’s the Silly thing that bugs you most about this plague?

18 minutes ago, Tap said:

As a note about school lunches....I wish they would send the school buses out to the neighborhoods with the meals. I am betting the bus companies are already paid due to contracts and so are drivers. There are lots of families who can't get to the school to pick up a lunch even if they do need it. 

Our district is delivering lunch along the bus routes, plus serving breakfasts. Some districts's are delivering today's lunch/tomorrow's breakfasts. 

Ours also arranged for wifi hotspots to reach a lot of the students that don't have internet. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tap said:

As a note about school lunches....I wish they would send the school buses out to the neighborhoods with the meals. I am betting the bus companies are already paid due to contracts and so are drivers. There are lots of families who can't get to the school to pick up a lunch even if they do need it. 

This is something the Buffalo, NY schools are working on putting in motion.  

If Buffalo schools close, students will still be able to get breakfast and lunch.

Community schools will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for kids to grab lunch and breakfast for the next day. Churches and community centers might also be distribution places.

"But if students aren't able to, or folks are quarantines for any other reason, or a whole community is quarantined, we will provide transportation services to deliver food to our students and our families," Dr. Cash said.

And if there's a situation where Buffalo Public Schools are closed, Dr. Cash says breakfast and lunch would be offered to all kids in Buffalo, even if they don't go to a public school. 

The district is also working on how to help with child-care issues.

• Like 1

My dog and the rest of us are quarantined separately, and we miss him!  After the whole semi-quarantined neighbor thing, we moved him to a relative about a mile away, and DS12 has been riding his bike over, walking the dog back so we could play with him in the backyard, and then returning him. 

But that relative works in a very person facing social service job.  He'll be out and about doing things that need to be done.  Given that we've got two very vulnerable people in our household, I can't risk sending my son there and having him bring back the germ.  So, I guess we won't see him for the duration.  

As a teacher, I think the rules about having the kids in the car for drive through food, or requiring two trips for two meals are horrible.  I think the idea of setting up food delivery along bus routes is brilliant.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, mathnerd said:

My son takes super-expensive piano lessons with a teacher who has a habit of constantly fixing my son's wrists, fingers etc and correcting his posture. Because of how easily this germ spreads, I cannot in good conscience take my son to her for future lessons while at the same time she is extremely anxious about losing her income during this outbreak. First of all, she cannot disinfect her expensive piano in between each lesson with each student, then, she cannot stop herself from actively correcting my son's (and her other student's posture) and then, she sits close enough during lessons that social distancing is not possible. She is of an age where she is in the high risk category and has an underlying health condition. Her husband is much older than her and is always coughing. She was very sick with a painful sore throat last week when she insisted on teaching and struggled through the lesson despite her discomfort. She behaved as if she was desperate not to lose us as her clients. Video lessons are absolutely not worth the high price that she charges and I think that in my area (one of the worst hit areas for COVID-19), this disease is going to be around for a few months. I am sitting here dreading the music lessons next week and also feeling bad about her loss of income if I decide to quit. I hate being in this dilemma. My son is talented, but, his interest is in STEM and he learns music because he loves it and it should normally be an easy decision. But, this lady is older, depends on this income and has been teaching my son for a long time. This is the thing that bugs me most about this epidemic at this point. 

Oh, me too!  I have 2 kids with one teacher at a little over $100 per week.  She does not do refunds for missed lessons, which I understand but always wonder if she really wants people to come in sick.  I will as long as they aren't vomiting because I cannot afford to lose the money.  Our teacher took a trip to Seattle last week so I have requested skype lessons.  No response yet.  My other child's teacher is more flexible.

So, we also practice with a piano accompanist at his studio.  I recall a time when we started a lesson and he was using chlorox wipes on his piano keys because he gave a piano lesson before us where the kid bled on the piano.  Pianos are much easier to sanitize than violins.  I cannot use any cleaners on the violins or it will ruin the varnish.  Maybe they cannot wipe down a wood finish, but can certainly wipe down the keys.

• Like 2

Baseball. I’m sad that my son’s season might be over before it began. I’m sad that I can’t watch the Dodgers while we’re all stuck at home. It’s silly, but baseball is a big part of our lives. 

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

My dog and the rest of us are quarantined separately, and we miss him!  After the whole semi-quarantined neighbor thing, we moved him to a relative about a mile away, and DS12 has been riding his bike over, walking the dog back so we could play with him in the backyard, and then returning him. 

But that relative works in a very person facing social service job.  He'll be out and about doing things that need to be done.  Given that we've got two very vulnerable people in our household, I can't risk sending my son there and having him bring back the germ.  So, I guess we won't see him for the duration.  

As a teacher, I think the rules about having the kids in the car for drive through food, or requiring two trips for two meals are horrible.  I think the idea of setting up food delivery along bus routes is brilliant.

Why does your dog have to be apart from your family?  (Sorry, you probably explained that somewhere else.)  That would be hard on me, too!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, parent said:

Oh, me too!  I have 2 kids with one teacher at a little over $100 per week.  She does not do refunds for missed lessons, which I understand but always wonder if she really wants people to come in sick.  I will as long as they aren't vomiting because I cannot afford to lose the money.  Our teacher took a trip to Seattle last week so I have requested skype lessons.  No response yet.  My other child's teacher is more flexible.

So, we also practice with a piano accompanist at his studio.  I recall a time when we started a lesson and he was using chlorox wipes on his piano keys because he gave a piano lesson before us where the kid bled on the piano.  Pianos are much easier to sanitize than violins.  I cannot use any cleaners on the violins or it will ruin the varnish.  Maybe they cannot wipe down a wood finish, but can certainly wipe down the keys.

It depends on the piano. For my digital, or my teaching  upright (a school model) with plastic shell keys, I use Clorox wipes without concern. If I had a grand piano with ebony and ivory, you can't do much beyond a dry cloth.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lmrich said:

My two hybrid schools are moving to instructional video online. I had originally thought these next few weeks would be no make-up, messy hair days. UMM, no - oh my goodness I looked awful in my first video. Those poor kids are in for such a fright. So my whine - not going to work but still need to look like I am - at least from the the waist up!

My teens and their friends (okay, let’s be honest- the teen boys) have been brainstorming ridiculous things they can set up behind themselves for video classes. My favorite idea was to print a huge poster of their principal and hang it on the wall over their shoulder. 😂😂😂

The local catholic high school is making the kids wear their uniforms. I find it all very entertaining. 

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm exhausted today--very long week at school plus extra hours shopping, appointments, etc in the evenings. Last night I stayed late to clean and pack up in case we can't get back into the building. My whine is I have a bunch of plants in my classroom that I planned to bring home in spring, as most can go outside. I don't have spaces for them inside without closing off rooms because my cat destroys them. 

These plants need to go to plant foster care somewhere. 🌿

Also, we have a lovely snow here today and I filled my bird feeders and looked forward to the songbirds that usually show up. 

What showed up were starlings, grackles, red wing blackbirds and eventually a crow. It just doesn't have that same calming feel...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, lmrich said:

My two hybrid schools are moving to instructional video online. I had originally thought these next few weeks would be no make-up, messy hair days. UMM, no - oh my goodness I looked awful in my first video. Those poor kids are in for such a fright. So my whine - not going to work but still need to look like I am - at least from the the waist up!

Ugh, hadn't even thought about having to get up and actually get ready. 

We're moving to eLearning next week. I can handle posting lessons, links, etc, but videos are another story.  I can't even take a decent selfie. 

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I don’t have an icecream freezer. What space I had open in the freezer went to meat and veggies. 

Oh hey after you've eaten it down some and have room, if you have access to heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk, I have a recipe for homemade ice cream that doesn't require an ice cream maker or any kind of churning: Beat 1 pint of cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in a 14-oz. can of sweetened condensed milk and two tsp vanilla.

Add mix-ins such as strawberries or crushed cookies if desired.

Freeze in either a large covered bowl (such as a Pyrex mixing bowl with a lid) or small containers such as half-pint wide-mouth canning jars with lids.  After a couple of hours, it's ready to eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Why does your dog have to be apart from your family?  (Sorry, you probably explained that somewhere else.)  That would be hard on me, too!

One of my children gets multiple infusions of both medication and nutrition, and the medical team who came in and set this up, and who oversee the process, were pretty clear that the dog can't be in the rooms where the infusions are prepared, or started.  Given our open floor plan, there just wasn't a way to make that work.  So, we sent him next door to the neighbors who ended up quarantined, and then once the quarantine was over we moved him to this relative.  

I miss the dog, but my 12 year old could really use his dog right now.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

26 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The local catholic high school is making the kids wear their uniforms. I find it all very entertaining. 

I think that's kind of brilliant.  I'm a special educator, and although I'm not working right now, a number of my colleagues have talked about the challenges of making sure that kids feel like they are still part of a community during this time, especially those kids who will be alone because their parents still need to go to work.   Uniforms definitely signal that you're still a student and this is still school.

• Like 5

Dh and I were going to St. Louis for a Pokemon Go event at the end of March. It got postponed. The events are really fun, and we are disappointed. 

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm kind of upset that March Madness is off.   I don't really watch or follow any teams but this is the time of year when dh doesn't bug me to catch up on our shows or watch random movies with him.  I have weeks of being able to watch the shows he doesn't like or read endless books.   

(this is silly, I still read a lot but he also likes to watch tv together)

I laughed because I identified with this.  DH asked me what was so funny, so I read it to him.  He laughed and said this is traditionally vasectomy week.  Everyone gets the procedure just before march madness and they stays on a chair with a bag of ice. 

2 hours ago, OKBud said:

This is my biggest annoyance too. People are giving each other tips about how to emotionally prepare to have their kids at home. Not because they work and it's going to be stressful...just because they can not believe they have to spend time in the DAYTIME! on weekdays with their kids. How weird and mean and idiotic. 

Also, you're not homeschooling please stop saying you are omg. I feel for people having to do a new thing, but my feeling is negated by my eyeroll energy. It's a virtual classroom and a teacher packet over which you have no control. Take it easy.

Most importantly though, there is a very real chance I'm going to run out of heavy cream for my coffee. Don't try to tell me anything else tastes just as good lol. I have "other things" and they're the pits. I don't know how I will soldier on. I am trying to be brave.

DH just said, "Then learn to drink real coffee!  That's right, quote me!"

If it's any consolation I don't drink black coffee either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I think the sadness is starting to hit me now.

We had a family trip to Japan that we were going to leave for next Wed.   Cancelled.

2 of my kids have birthdays soon.  This was the first time they were going to hand out treats at the their ballet schools, hang out all day with their friends on their birthdays, and have a party.   Cancelled

Ballet school is closed.  Dance is life to my 3 oldest.  All their friends are from there. 

The other studio place my youngest 3 also dance at, hasn't said yet, but with all the schools closing of course they will. 

The show they were doing with the ballet company, cancelled.  

My kids are so worried about all their ballet teachers too.  And the school itself. 

My oldest 3 are also really concerned about summer.  They were all going away from summer intensives.  That is looking so unsure at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

One of my children gets multiple infusions of both medication and nutrition, and the medical team who came in and set this up, and who oversee the process, were pretty clear that the dog can't be in the rooms where the infusions are prepared, or started.  Given our open floor plan, there just wasn't a way to make that work.  So, we sent him next door to the neighbors who ended up quarantined, and then once the quarantine was over we moved him to this relative.  

I miss the dog, but my 12 year old could really use his dog right now.  

Ah, I see, thank you for explaining.  I'm really sorry.  My dh was receiving at-home infusions for awhile, so I understand how that environment needs to be carefully managed.  Take care...  That's hard.

• Like 2

I think for me, besides the loss of March Madness, is the way our local media was portraying the whole "loss of education" yesterday.  One reporter made it sound so fatalistic that these "learning gaps" could never be "recovered."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Katy said:

DH just said, "Then learn to drink real coffee!  That's right, quote me!"

Aw Katy what a bummer for you, to be married to someone who is so wrong 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Our co-op's book resale has been postponed and a biannual used children's clothing sale has been cancelled. Two of my favorite days of the year! 😢

Woe is me, I know! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Tap said:

That is what they are doing at least in some of the districts here. 

We have real losses. Not petty at all and the list is long. 

The one that seems silliest in the grand scheme of things is that my 11 yo dancer was supposed to get tested for pointe shoes this coming week. Now the dance studio is closed and I doubt they will reopen and even if they do I doubt they follow through with pointe shoes after so much time off. She’s been waiting a long time and had been counting down the days. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Sad 8

Random people cornering me and wanting me to agree that this whole thing is way overblown and No Big Deal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Donna said:

Many of our friends and acquaintances are Irish musicians who make their living on their music. They will never be rich from playing traditional music but they support themselves often gig by gig because they love what they do. March, for many, is when they make their money (St. Patrick's Day becomes a month of gigs for them). So many are in real trouble right now with gigs cancelled. Many have already paid travel costs, hotel costs, Visa costs (those who are international performers), etc... They understand the need for social distancing but are and will be experiencing financial difficulties. None of the suggested aid from any politicians will help them.

Dd and her dh are in the same boat. 3 Baroque orchestras shut down, and two major symphonies. Ouch! Along with an Early Music Festival and probably the Early Music at Berkeley. This is hard on the musicians. The upside is that the Met is putting out their productions online!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We have real losses, too, to grieve.

But my silly, completely First World embarrassing pet peeve about all this...  I don’t feel comfortable having our helpers come in the house.  

My elderly mom lives here, and everyone else is high risk.  So today I learned how to bathe my mom.  I emptied and cleaned her bedside commode.  Apparently I’m a lot more squeamish about things than I knew!

And we have been very happy that we are able to pay for a house cleaner.  She is awesome, and I love knowing that we help support her family with a fair wage.  I am going to miss having the whole house clean at one time for a while!  She is always sick though, just powers through, and I worry she will unwittingly spread germs.  I’m trying to figure out if we can pay her for some time off.

First world.  🙄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My kids love their sports.  It's all cancelled. I love their sports, too.  I'm grieving my adult time during their practices/matches/traveling to games.

I can't find toilet paper in any store anywhere or online.  I'm getting nervous that we will actually run out.  I didn't stockpile TP.  I was a fool.

We have to miss plays, deaf culture events, spring training games, spring break trips with friends, community events, and other fun things that bring a lot of joy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, parent said:

I pay a significant amount of my salary to her every month and also give her 2 weeks pay as a christmas bonus. She is a super expensive teacher in my area and I hired her only for the reason that she actively works on correcting the student's issues. I do not see any value in a Skype lesson for the high price tag that she charges. She owns a performance grade steinway and all she can do is to wipe it down with a cloth because she cannot damage the finish of such a high end piano with synthetic chemicals. But, she does not have time to even wipe it down between students because of how she schedules lessons back to back. We have been carrying sanitizer to her lessons, showering as soon as we leave her lessons etc. But, the number of students with leaky noses and sneezes at her studio astounds me. In a county that is worst hit with the COVID-19 with news of deaths coming in, I am dreading these lessons now. I am also very worried about her and her husband because they are old enough to be in the high risk category and they both have underlying conditions. They might pick up this germ from an asymptomatic kid if she keeps this going. I am OK with just paying her for a month or two and not showing up for the lessons at this point. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Kentuckian here too.  Have you seen the meme:  Check on your Kentucky friends - no basketball, no Keeneland.  We are not okay.  😂

My husband, “We didn’t get to watch basketball yesterday, we won’t get to today, and we will really miss it tomorrow! I feel like I do every time Kentucky doesn’t make it to the Final 4.” I‘m not a super fan but I miss all the excitement that March usually brings.

We don’t go to Keeneland other than to watch practice but cancellation of the sales and races will definitely hurt restaurants in this area. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Quill said:

Friends I had to snooze on SM because of...um, dumb proclamations. I cannot take the weird conspiracy theories. 

Information overload from all the things: baseball, school, homeschool co-op, the dentist, the hair salon, church, the bank, the library...and many of these sent out multiple emails because things changed in hours. My email box is full of starred emails I don’t know what to do with. Should I make a Coronavirus sub-file? I might have to. 

Seriously thought about this! To keep track of what is still on, what parents can go to, what is kids only, etc. Then the second round of emails came out cancelling everything. Folder no longer required!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Acorn said:

I already told mine that he better stock up lumber. If he is laid off, he is going to rebuild our deck (with our children assisting).

Mine is building shelves for the garage.  He says Lowes was busy.  

4 hours ago, Tap said:

Our bus drivers don't work for a bus company. They are hourly school employees. The pay's good enough that I would consider it if I didn't hate driving!

7 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Our bus drivers don't work for a bus company. They are hourly school employees. The pay's good enough that I would consider it if I didn't hate driving!

My son’s driver works for a contracted company and he gets paid by the route. He will have no income through this. 

• Sad 1

Oddly, the thing that I felt most bad about for us personally was that the kids' bowling league was cancelled.

Also, as a person who really does best with an established routine (otherwise I forget things), it takes a lot of mental energy to decide all the things that are out of routine now.  So much so that we don't end up doing things we should.  Like yesterday, I wanted us to go outside and do something, but the effort of thinking about it just made me drag out my work day and I got even less done than usual - creating still more stress.  Ugh.

The other minor thing was that I need to get some gifts to some people who should not be exposed to the virus.  How to do it?  I did finally get that figured out for now.

• Like 1

What is bothering me the most is hearing people say that this isn't so bad 'except for the elderly'.  I mean, WHAT ABOUT THE ELDERLY MAKES THEM DISPOSABLE?

I have friends who have watched over me since childhood who are in the 80s.  If something happens to them I will be heartbroken.  And I just hate to think about them hearing people talk like they are somehow lacking in value because of their age.

Actually, now that I think about it, my husband is 70ish.  He is not disposable, either.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

The appearance of the virus in our state this week unfortunately corresponded with the disappearance of our kitchen. Our remodel began on Monday, and since then we've been making do in a makeshift way with our toaster and crock pot set up in our family room. We are working through our random stash of leftover holiday paper plates, in order to reduce the number of dishes that I must do in the bathroom sink. 

So we were eating down our stock of food, in preparation for the cabinets being ripped out, when everyone else was stocking up. But I did finally stock up this weekend and stashed things in my garage and on a bookcase and packed my freezers. I also caved and  bought a microwave (our other one was built in) and an electric skillet, so that I have more cooking options, even though we won't need these things any more once our new kitchen is in place.

Our original plans to eat out more won't happen (though we did go out for my birthday this week).

I'm really, really hoping that the construction company won't decide that they have to delay work, because I need my kitchen back. But I'm also not thrilled that we will have strangers in and out of our house over the next few weeks, potentially bringing along germs. I'm typically a very anxious person, but I'm managing to adapt without freaking out.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Tap said:

This so much! Everyone thinks it's such a great solution to just tell kids to pick the food up at school. So many won't be able to get to school without school buses, and forget about it if public transportation ceases.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OKBud said:

Yeah I don't love being characterized as a panicking ninny for putting a little common-sense distance between my family and everyone else. It's not the worst thing people have called me this year though haha. ::gives self a high five like Liz Lemon:: 

Hilarious in real life everyone seems to think I’m crazy over the top and on here I look laissez-faire with the whole thing.  Can’t win 😆

• Like 2

DD was going to see Frozen on Broadway with fil, his husband, and her cousin next weekend for her birthday. She's never been to New York and was so looking forward to the trip. Both girls cried so much even knowing their grandfather was going to reschedule it whenever he can.

• Sad 3

I thought of another thing. My best friend had a baby girl on Sunday. I haven't had a chance to meet her yet, and it'll be a while before I can. This virus is seriously interfering with my "snuggle new baby" plans. 😠

• Like 1

Silliest? That story time at the library is cancelled through the month. We just found one that we love and DD3 asks every week when we get to go to story time. 

Most annoying? The cousin who wouldn't let anyone near her daughter for the first year of her life for fear they would give her germs who is now constantly posting about how people are overreacting and its just a flu and doesn't understand why I won't take my very much in the high risk category mom to her daughter's birthday party despite the fact that her county (and mine) have confirmed cases. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, readinmom said:

I think for me, besides the loss of March Madness, is the way our local media was portraying the whole "loss of education" yesterday.  One reporter made it sound so fatalistic that these "learning gaps" could never be "recovered."

For some kids, I think it's probably true.  I'm a high school special educator, although I'm on family leave right now,  My friend who inherited my class called me in tears.  The last quarter of each year she and I always put so much work into getting our graduating kids ready, helping them understand the transition, teaching them about what to expect in adulthood, , connecting them with things that will carry them over into graduation.  There's a good chance that they won't get to do that, that for those kids their friends and teachers will simply disappear.  She said she tried to explain, but the end of the day got rushed and she doesn't think a couple of them understood at all.  

On one hand, kids with significant disabilities often have coexisting medical conditions that make them vulnerable.  So, the shut down is important to protect them.  On the other hand, they're making huge sacrifices.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Not petty: my ASD Boy has a limited diet. I’m worried about keeping him fed. 

petty: no ice cream here, either! Not going to the movies. I had been waiting for so many movies to come out.

Edited by Paradox5

The thing that's starting to bug me is all the homeschool FB posts that say things like,  "What are you going to do to help all the poor public school parents who are now 'homeschooling'? Are you going to babysit, provide lunch for their children, or give them ideas of things to do to keep them busy?" Um, no, I'm going to keep teaching my kids. I gave up my career and make a significant financial sacrifice to stay home and homeschool my kids. I treat homeschooling like my full time job, so I don't plan to add free babysitting to my day while other parents continue to earn money. If they got coronavirus and ended up in the hospital, that's different and I would help them because that's a true emergency. Otherwise, no.  As for ideas, I'm not sure I can give them ideas because they aren't homeschooling. They're still public school students and they'll still be getting all their lessons from the school. After I'm done teaching my kids, I expect them to go off and entertain themselves. Our extracurricular activities are cancelled, so my own kids will be out of their routine too. I won't be providing lunch either. Having my kids home for every meal is already a financial strain. The effect on the economy is causing us some concern about finances and job stability too. The schools will still be providing lunch and it's free for all students (the school district even added "This includes students in our district who are home-schooled or attend other schools.") 

This isn't a silly thing, but I'm sad for DD who qualified for state in her sport and was supposed to compete next weekend. It was cancelled and probably won't be rescheduled.

I guess I'm not in a good enough mood to think of anything silly. I've got a cough and headache and lots of fun and important things have been cancelled.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

The thing that's starting to bug me is all the homeschool FB posts that say things like,  "What are you going to do to help all the poor public school parents who are now 'homeschooling'? Are you going to babysit, provide lunch for their children, or give them ideas of things to do to keep them busy?" Um, no, I'm going to keep teaching my kids. I gave up my career and make a significant financial sacrifice to stay home and homeschool my kids. I treat homeschooling like my full time job, so I don't plan to add free babysitting to my day while other parents continue to earn money. If they got coronavirus and ended up in the hospital, that's different and I would help them because that's a true emergency. Otherwise, no.  As for ideas, I'm not sure I can give them ideas because they aren't homeschooling. They're still public school students and they'll still be getting all their lessons from the school. After I'm done teaching my kids, I expect them to go off and entertain themselves. Our extracurricular activities are cancelled, so my own kids will be out of their routine too. I won't be providing lunch either. Having my kids home for every meal is already a financial strain. The effect on the economy is causing us some concern about finances and job stability too. The schools will still be providing lunch and it's free for all students (the school district even added "This includes students in our district who are home-schooled or attend other schools.") 

This isn't a silly thing, but I'm sad for DD who qualified for state in her sport and was supposed to compete next weekend. It was cancelled and probably won't be rescheduled.

I guess I'm not in a good enough mood to think of anything silly. I've got a cough and headache and lots of fun and important things have been cancelled.

Well, it may not be silly at all...but it is also less than deadly worry.  I would feel bad for my kiddo, too.  :0(

The homeschool comments are spot on, as re: this isn't something you just do for fun.  And it's not babysitting.  

I do want to say that different districts are sending home very different plans.  One near us has a very structured, "you better be in your seat and turn on your camera because I am *watching* you" mentality.  Others have just sent the kids home.  It is these that I have had some fun giving some ideas.  Unit study.  Nature study.  Arithmetic games to keep the kids fresh.  Field trip ideas ("nature" is not closed).  It's been a lot of fun--but to be fair, I am not actively homeschooling anymore--those days are gone.  Although my 24 yo moved home 3 months ago to do a coding bootcamp and now it is all online, so I guess HE is technically homeschooling.  haha. But the subject matter makes me comatose.

• Like 1

Another thing that is minor in the grand scheme of things but still important to us ... my kids are finishing 8th grade in their K-8 school.  I don't know but it looks like they will be missing many if not all of their special graduating-year activities.  The trip to Washington DC, their first communion, confirmation, graduation banquet, final band concert, final track season, final school dance, and so many smaller but special moments.  Will they even have a chance to say goodbye to friends who are heading to different high schools?

I missed those experiences because my folks moved us out of town after 7th grade.  I was looking forward to my kids having the experiences I missed.  Oh well.

• Sad 3

Mine isn't "silly," really, but admittedly selfish.

I've been struggling with feeling very depressed since just after my mastectomy in October. One of the things that is surest to send me into a downward emotional spiral is being at home for any extended amount of time. (Lots of reasons for this, some of which we are trying to address in practical ways, but some of which just have to do with intangible things that just . . . are.)

I count on being able to go to work. As I explained to a family member yesterday, although I like my job just fine, I can't say I actually "enjoy" going to work. It's more like eating a vegetable that is not a big favorite, in that I do it even though I don't love the experience because I recognize it is good for me. Thus far, my office is staying open, but they have made actually coming in to work optional for all who can work from home. My entire department is in that category, so although I plan to continue to go to the office for the time being, I suspect things will be unnervingly quiet and, quite possibly, not nearly as therapeutic for me as I would prefer. And looming over this is the concern that the company or the agency that manages our building may at any moment decide to shut down and make all of us work from home. I honestly can't tell you how I am dreading that.

I was also really looking forward to a conference I was scheduled to attend at the end of this month. I have been eyeing attending one of these events for the last few years but could never quite justify the cost. So when my employer offered to pay for it -- and send my whole work group -- I was really delighted. We got word on Friday that the event has been cancelled. Not even postponed, but straight up cancelled.

I have recently committed to being more active and have signed up for a few fun/fundraising run/walk events. After several years of considering it, I signed up this year to walk in a big 5K event with a group from work. On Friday, we found out the event has been postponed for six months. 

I am not a spa / mani-pedi / "long-bath-with-candles" person; my form of self-care is treating myself to tickets for theatre performances and similar live events.  In the last two days, I have received notifications that four performances to which I have tickets have been cancelled.

I do understand that this whole situation isn't about me. I promise I get that. People are sick and dying, and we need to take appropriate steps to deal with what is now officially a pandemic. My theatre tickets and conference are small potatoes in the face of a public health crisis. I know. 

But I'm still feeling extremely sorry for myself and kind of worried about the effect on my mental health.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Sad 6

I got my dishwasher detergent! Yay!

Less petty grievance: people are complaining on facebook about our library being closed, saying "This is exactly the time we should have libraries open! You shouldn't be closing! What the heck are we supposed to do with our kids this week?!"

People are still hanging on to the idea that this is only going to last a week and that everyone is being a killjoy. 

Chess club posted on social media "Since schools are closed next week, drop off your kids here for another week of chess camp!".  Oh dude, no. 😞

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

Well, it may not be silly at all...but it is also less than deadly worry.  I would feel bad for my kiddo, too.  :0(

The homeschool comments are spot on, as re: this isn't something you just do for fun.  And it's not babysitting.  

I do want to say that different districts are sending home very different plans.  One near us has a very structured, "you better be in your seat and turn on your camera because I am *watching* you" mentality.  Others have just sent the kids home.  It is these that I have had some fun giving some ideas.  Unit study.  Nature study.  Arithmetic games to keep the kids fresh.  Field trip ideas ("nature" is not closed).  It's been a lot of fun--but to be fair, I am not actively homeschooling anymore--those days are gone.  Although my 24 yo moved home 3 months ago to do a coding bootcamp and now it is all online, so I guess HE is technically homeschooling.  haha. But the subject matter makes me comatose.

All our school is doing is sending home a packet of fun activities to prevent regression. There is no structure or new material to be taught.  And the food is available at the food sites they use over the summer, so working parents are not going to be able to access it. If our schools shut down for the CDC recommended 8 weeks, our school year is essentially over.  I am going to be actually homeschooling, because that’s a lot of instruction missed.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, Another Lynn said:

Kentuckian here too.  Have you seen the meme:  Check on your Kentucky friends - no basketball, no Keeneland.  We are not okay.  😂

I have sympathy for the basketball fans, but it does not compare to the cancellation of square dancing for the rest of the season.

This better all be over by the time Thunder rolls around.

• Haha 1

Yucky weather. We'd like to head out to hike or picnic and enjoy exercise and fresh air, but it's dreary, wet, cool. Not really too cold to be out, just not nice. 

Praying for a high pressure system and some sunshine!

• Like 4