Menu

school closures

gardenmom5

4 hours ago, Quill said:

Fortunately, there was still plenty of Oui yogurt, which is my new favorite brand because it comes very close to a yogurt I bought in Paris. 🙂 I’m making a conscious effort to see all the good things and not just the things we’re missing right now. So that’s one thing, at least. I could get six jars of Oui yogurt. 

Also, the liquor store was stocked with wine. I’m not sure whypeople havent realized this is just as crucial as toilet paper! 😅

Make sure you enter the Oui sweepstakes. They could send you back to Paris when everything is back to normal!

2 minutes ago, alewife said:

Does anyone think the K-12 schools will remain closed for the rest of this school year?  I think that is a real possibility.

I do.

• Like 4

An update here — the high school musical is postponed one month, and the high school is having a half-day next week for teachers to plan for possible online learning.

That is only the high school, I don’t know if they will do the same for younger kids, but my son thinks they will complete classes on Google Classroom to stay on track.  

Edit:  and the middle school and younger aren’t having that half-day.  

Edited by Lecka

In two weeks I think we will at least have more testing.  

My county has had two tests completed (negative) and has 8 tests pending.  This is a large county.  

I think we could know where in the state it is more active, in two weeks.  

I don’t know if I think that is “really” a change but it is data at least.  

My guess is that the reason for the short closures is to give teachers/schools time to prepare. And that it’s kind of the way schools operate. Weather cancellations are day by day, and it is reason to celebrate when they actually announce the night before vs every device in the house going off at 2:00 in the morning with the alert. 

The fact that most of the colleges are going online completely or at least online except for labs for the rest of the year is a pretty strong indicator about how this is going to go. In my experience, colleges are far more conservative about canceling than the public schools are. 

• Like 4

I wish they would announce that here. I suspect schools would be far more likely to close and stay closed long enough to really help if they knew that test scores wouldn't be an issue. 

Did you see the TWTM announcement?

Like the rest of you, we're watching the news and trying not to panic about COVID-19. Several states (including ours) have canceled schools, and millions of kids are home with LOTS of free time. Many parents are suddenly having to become homeschoolers* (or at least are going to be stuck in the house for a while with some bored children).

Well-Trained Mind Press wants to help!

We're offering all of our how-to-homeschool audio workshops and seminars by homeschool authorities Susan Wise Bauer & Jessie Wise for FREE. Download them for yourself, and tell a friend who's going to be teaching his or her children for a while to go get them too. Find those at https://welltrainedmind.com/c/resources…/workshops-seminars/

And there's more! In addition, we're offering a TWENTY PERCENT DISCOUNT on just about everything in our online store, when you enter the coupon code STUCKATHOME at checkout. That includes all of our open-and-go curricula (no expertise required!), thrilling storybooks, and more.

-Keep your children entertained for weeks with Jim Weiss's retellings of classic stories
-Brush up on the Math Facts with Kate Snow's Math Facts that Stick series
-Introduce your kids to our exciting, million-selling history series The Story of the World in audio or print format--or if you already have the books, pick up an extra set of coloring pages.
-Try our illustrated Companion Readers--beautifully illustrated classic stories, plus directions & scripts for staging your own plays!

and lots more!

www.welltrainedmind.com/store

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I wish they would announce that here. I suspect schools would be far more likely to close and stay closed long enough to really help if they knew that test scores wouldn't be an issue. 

in our case - individual school districts were very reluctant to close - though some did.  then the gov' came along and started shutting things down in the three largest counties (including all schools).  the next day - all school districts were closed for SIX WEEKS.

In AL, schools will be closed for 2.5 weeks started Wed at 5pm.  So even though there are now 6 confirmed cases of covid-19 here (probably lots more because they just started testing people), all ps kids are going to school for THREE DAYS before they close schools.  I don’t know why they think that’s a good idea.

• Like 1

Wake County, NC (one of the largest districts in the country) finally called it: they're moving up spring break and using all their teacher workdays and banked hours. Staying closed until the 27th and potentially beyond.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

The governor of NC has just closed public schools for at least two weeks. Measures being taken to help families with childcare and students who need food.

Yup, I was just coming here to post that. I suspect Wake, Charlotte-Mecklenburg and the governor were talking it over and finally worked out a plan.

• Like 1

I believe nearly all schools in CT are closed for the next two weeks. The governor has waived the 180 day requirement as it is now unlikely schools will be able to get the 180 days in by the June 30 deadline, especially if they’re closed longer than 2 weeks. I also read that online classes won’t be offered due to potential problems with “equity”. (I can understand that but I’m not sure I completely agree with it.) Some schools sent packets home but the kids at karate were saying that not all did because they didn’t figure the kids would do them. I’m not sure if that’s true or just kids talking. 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:42 PM, Paige said:

When I was looking at the info from 1918, the cities that were classified as having short school closures that allowed the flu to come back and create another spike of fatalities were about 54 days! I don't think anyone is prepared for the kind of school closings that may be necessary to really control this. The cities (or maybe city) that did better closed schools for something like 170 days. 

Six months!

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 4:09 PM, Elfknitter.# said:

Los Angeles Unified School District is closing. I believe they said meals would be offered.

Schools have to offer meals. The district would have to activate their summer meals program while the schools are closed. The directive is from Governor Newsom.

CA is working to keep kids fed. Governor ’s executive order provides that even if schools close because of #COVID19, school districts must safely provide school meals through the Summer Food Service Program & Seamless Summer Option.”

Three more counties in Northern New York are closing schools, until at least April 20th.  Franklin, Hamilton, and Essex.  I think it is all the schools.  The newspaper article says the BOCES and 10 component school districts.  

No school closures here. D's is on spring break this week and I'm hoping by the time he needs to return school will be cancelled state wide. At the high school everyone has their own Chromebook, I'd think online learning wouldn't be terribly hard to set up. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that the governor of New York has waived the requirement of 180 days of instruction, so we don’t have to worry about make-up days or if not everyone can do online school at home.  

It’s not that people are going to ignore those issues, but it removes a barrier to going ahead and closing instead of figuring those things out before being able to close.  

/my impression 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Acadie said:

Six months!

Yes. A minimum of 3 months and more likely 6 months is what we should expect. If we do that, and apply strict social distancing recommendations with fidelity, schools may be able to reopen, on time, this fall.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3