Menu

school closures

gardenmom5

all schools in the three most populous counties are to be closed until april 27.   they do acknowledge they're not going to make up all those seat hours.  and they want districts to come up with a way to keep their meal programs going.

• Like 1

😒https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/inslee-orders-all-private-public-k-12-schools-in-king-pierce-snohomish-counties-to-close-through-april-24/

“Across the three counties, nearly 563,600 attend public or charter schools. Roughly 216,700 of them qualify for subsidized meals, leaving many of the 43 school districts there scrambling to plan for feeding children during an extended closure.

Students with disabilities and children experiencing homelessness also are likely to bear the brunt of long periods without schools open. For many students who don’t have stable housing arrangements, school can be the one constant in their lives.

Inslee acknowledged that the mandated closures would prove a burden for many families, especially those trying to find and afford child care. He has asked superintendents to provide child care at no cost for families that work in the medical field or first responders.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Eh. Our district is sending home work packets and starting up more Zoom and google classroom stuff. I don’t believe they are taking all three weeks off, at least from the latest email I was sent from our school.

I guess it depends. The two nearest me are at least taking off for two weeks and then the third week they "might" try some kind of virtual school/packets etc.  I was surprised. 

40 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

April 27! That’s a LONG break! Wow!

When I was looking at the info from 1918, the cities that were classified as having short school closures that allowed the flu to come back and create another spike of fatalities were about 54 days! I don't think anyone is prepared for the kind of school closings that may be necessary to really control this. The cities (or maybe city) that did better closed schools for something like 170 days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, MarieCurie said:

In Maryland all schools are closed for two weeks starting Monday. At least they're giving parents a few days to figure out what to do with their kids. One of the districts in Virginia gave parents only three hours notice.

I’m in VA, but Maryland is planning to make up some of the days duirng spring break - unless the decide to close for a longer period of time.

• Like 1

There are a lot of school closures starting Monday here in Georgia, but I'm hearing from individuals and social media with screen shots of the announcements being sent out. The actual news hasn't even caught up yet.

Every county surrounding UGA is closing, and none have reported cases in the news.

AFAIK, every county with a case has closed schools.

Our public school district's plan is to issue Chromebook to all students.  All students have access to Chromebook at school but normally only Junior and Senior High students are allowed to take them home.  The school has been sending notices about low cost Internet access for the past two weeks.  The plan is to provide paper packets for students whose families cannot afford even the low cost access.  Students with Internet access will be e-schooling.   

The main reason our public school system is delaying closure is the number of students relying on free lunches and weekend backpacks of food.  Presumably, students could take summer classes to make up missed schoolwork.  They cannot make up missed meals. 

• Like 4

There is a diagnosed case in my friend's daughter's school in Fairfax County, VA. Last I heard, the school is still open. 

Update: All VA schools are closed until Mar. 27th. Some are closed longer; Fairfax County will be closed until the Tuesday after Easter...at least.

Edited by Chris in VA
UPdated
  • Sad 1

Schools in Durham and Orange Counties (and Chapel Hill-Carrboro, which is its own district), NC, are closing. Wake has suspended all athletics but so far has not announced closure. Chapel Hill-Durham Homeschoolers has stopped their Friday stuff for the rest of the month. The other group we attend is still saying they're open next week.

We are sick at home, and I'm glad DS isn't racking up absences.

3 hours ago, MarieCurie said:

In Maryland all schools are closed for two weeks starting Monday. At least they're giving parents a few days to figure out what to do with their kids. One of the districts in Virginia gave parents only three hours notice.

Teachers at my dgs's school in Seattle were given one hour's notice. o_0

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Eh. Our district is sending home work packets and starting up more Zoom and google classroom stuff. I don’t believe they are taking all three weeks off, at least from the latest email I was sent from our school.

That's what ours is doing. They made today a student holiday so that teachers could prep packets. Students will have a half day on Monday, to pick up the packets & instructions. School will then be closed for 3 weeks (one of which is spring break). Teachers will also be uploading video lessons.

The big district here is extending Spring Break by a week, and I suspect the reason is to give teachers time to get things together. DD's college and the state U are doing the same thing, and are going online, but the public schools have more kids who might have trouble getting online than the colleges do.

Our school is meeting to discuss how to do virtual instruction if we have to close. We're also going to do video chat to check in with students (mostly just to make sure they're doing ok, not for educational purposes). For kids that need lunch and breakfast, the school busses will deliver once a day and drop food off in driveways. 

I can't imagine that too much actual learning is going to happen if we close... and I worry about many kids being left home alone all day, every day for weeks :( 

13 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

There is a diagnosed case in my friend's daughter's school in Fairfax County, VA. Last I heard, the school is still open. 

That explains it.  Fairfax Co. schools came to a screeching halt this morning at midnight.  They had intended to use Monday as a student holiday while the administration figured out how to go forward. Looks like activities won’t resume for a month, but there is no word on when schools will reopen.  SAT was cancelled for tomorrow 😞.

WV schools will be closed starting Monday. The governor didn’t give a date that they will return...he said “indefinitely”. One of my kid is public schooled and the other attends a private school. Both kids will be required to do online school during this time. 

There are still no confirmed cases in WV. I think we are one of two states that are left?

18 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

My thought exactly.  All of this is.

It does feel a bit like I fell through the cover of  a Sci-Fi novel. 

I went to a small grocery store nearby to me today (thinking it would be in better shape than the big groceries or Walmart) but it was unbelievably devoid of food. I have never experienced anything like this, even through all of the big snowstorms. There was no bread, pasta, rice, flour, poultry, milk and only small contributions to fresh produce. I bought bagged salad as a means to get lettuce, which I never do. I bought the bougiest apples I have ever bought in my life, lol, because the only apples were individual organic apples of some fancy type. (DS said, “Mom, those apples are really good!” I told him to lay off because I had to take out a second mortgage to buy them!) 

Fortunately, there was still plenty of Oui yogurt, which is my new favorite brand because it comes very close to a yogurt I bought in Paris. 🙂 I’m making a conscious effort to see all the good things and not just the things we’re missing right now. So that’s one thing, at least. I could get six jars of Oui yogurt. 

Also, the liquor store was stocked with wine. I’m not sure whypeople havent realized this is just as crucial as toilet paper! 😅

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Ellie said:

Teachers at my dgs's school in Seattle were given one hour's notice. o_0

NOT for Corona virus, but our schools were closed for students yesterday and today due to E.Coli found in the water.  They had already loaded most of the Elem. kids on the bus and then had to take them back home! 🤪

School is still not cancelled for Corona.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wish I could have taken a picture of one the streets with all off student housing on it. The University announced they were starting spring break early and then moving to online only. So what do the students do? Instead of being in close quarters in classrooms they are in close quarters partying on the streets, probably sharing more bodily fluids than they would have in the classroom😂.

At our University there is tons of off campus student housing, probably more than on campus housing at this point. So, stopping classes and closing the dorms doesn't actually get most of them off campus or out of town. Most of them will likely just continue partying for the next few weeks.

• Like 1

I wish we were making a running list in this thread. I like data. Something like:

Alabama - All public schools closed 2.5 weeks starting Wednesday. 

Alaska - I don’t have my facts with this but I think either Fairbanks schools closed, or Fairbanks and Anchorage. I saw this on FB, so not sure exactly.

Arkansas = Except for four counties, public k-12 schools have not yet closed.  Our local school district sent Chromebooks home today anticipating that the governor could announce school closings this weekend.  The superintendent stated that if the schools were not closed,  students whose families choose to self-isolate would be granted excused absences for the remainder of the month.  Those children will be provided with alternate assignments.   Communication with the school is to be via telephone or Internet, no impromptu visits.  

Los Angeles Unified School District is closing. I believe they said meals would be offered.

Colorado - all public schools closed two weeks

CT  believe nearly all schools in CT are closed for the next two weeks. The governor has waived the 180 day requirement as it is now unlikely schools will be able to get the 180 days in by the June 30 deadline

Delaware - some private schools closed; University closed. Public schools closed 2 weeks. 

Florida - all public schools closed until March 30.   Many start Spring Break on Monday, so it's just one extra week beyond Spring Break.

Florida State universities moving to online instruction until at least April 5.    State colleges (not sure if it's all or just some) using online instruction until March 30.

Georgia - Select counties closed? Select colleges closed? 

Illinois' governor shut down all K-12 schools from next Tuesday until end of month

Louisiana: all public schools closed until April 13; they explicitly stated they will NOT be doing online school, as all students do not have equal access. 

MA and NH have several towns with schools closed 2-3 weeks - New England tends to do things on a town-by-town level still. 

Maryland - all public schools closed two weeks. All University of Maryland system colleges closed two weeks. 

Michigan - all schools closed three weeks.

New Mexico - all schools closed three weeks.

North Carolina - All public schools closed 2 weeks

Ohio - all schools closed three weeks

Pennsylvania - all schools closed two weeks. 

Tennessee - most colleges going online. Some schools closed for 2+ weeks. 

Virginia - All schools closed 2 weeks

Washington state - all public schools closed six weeks. Ditto on colleges. 

West Virginia - all public schools cancelled “indefinitely”. 

Feel free to correct me or offer something to add. 

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

Florida - all public schools closed until March 30.   Many start Spring Break on Monday, so it's just one extra week beyond Spring Break.

Florida State universities moving to online instruction until at least April 5.    State colleges (not sure if it's all or just some) using online instruction until March 30.

Our local district is now closed for the rest of the month, and I assume will figure out what they're doing next in that time. All of the colleges are going online after Spring Break (the ones which were on break this week are adding a week to give time for professors to get stuff online, the ones who were going this week just are sending the kids home and going online). I just e-mailed my parents to let them know that piano lessons are suspended for the time being, and we'll pick up the schedule when we can.

So-for the list:

Tennessee-Most colleges going online, Some school districts closed for 2+ weeks.

Edited by dmmetler

36 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

And colleges.  

I think six weeks is a LOT.  I kinda wonder why they didn't do 3-weeks while we see how this is playing out, get more data, and take it from there.  I really feel for working families and hourly wage earners  and private business owners.

I agree - UW will be doing online classes, and services for students who live on campus will remain open.

1ds's classes were online this quarter - and I assume already were for next quarter.

dd's employer is already down 50% for business.

2 minutes ago, marbel said:

Pennsy governor just closed all K-12 school for 2 weeks starting Monday 3/16.  Previously it had been just Montgomery County (Phila suburbs).

do you wonder if these governors have gotten into a subconscious game of one upmanship for shutting things down in their state?

two or even three weeks, and reevaluate at that time seems reasonable.  we have a six week closure - which is going to make life hard for many families, not to mention students who are supposed to be graduating.

• Like 3

Michigan schools are closed for 3 weeks.

I work in special education.  We're reported today and we're directed to empty all fridges and freezers (we cook with students) and take all of our computers home so we can work at home.  Due to the nature of our students, on line stuff is not applicable.

I will be volunteering some at the local food banks to help fill in food gaps for vulnerable families.

The stresses for lower income parents and those of special needs kids are very high.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

do you wonder if these governors have gotten into a subconscious game of one upmanship for shutting things down in their state?

two or even three weeks, and reevaluate at that time seems reasonable.  we have a six week closure - which is going to make life hard for many families, not to mention students who are supposed to be graduating.

I think probably particularly true in states where the governor perhaps has aspirations for higher office in the future. Wants to be seen as a strong, proactive leader. 

Said by someone who suspects this is true of my own governor but is satisfied nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Delaware parents are starting to complaining all over my Facebook feed because MD and pa public schools are closed and many private schools in de are. But de public schools aren't yet. It is interesting to watch this unfold because as of earlier today officials were making statements that seemed to indicate schools won't close. I suspect once they get enough parent pressure they will.

I'm concerned for all those kids who rely on food from the schools during the day.

Just now, hjffkj said:

Delaware parents are starting to complaining all over my Facebook feed because MD and pa public schools are closed and many private schools in de are. But de public schools aren't yet. It is interesting to watch this unfold because as of earlier today officials were making statements that seemed to indicate schools won't close. I suspect once they get enough parent pressure they will.

I'm concerned for all those kids who rely on food from the schools during the day.

It’s weird though, because I see a lot of complaining in families who are closed. (Even in cases where this does not present a serious hardship; these are parents who are, say, mad that their kid won’t play lacrosse championships.) 

I do sympathize with parents who are left in a major bind due to single parenthood or food insecurity or whatever reason. I know in Maryland there is still access to free and reduced cost meal programs. I’m not sure how this is happening but it was said that it is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

It’s weird though, because I see a lot of complaining in families who are closed. (Even in cases where this does not present a serious hardship; these are parents who are, say, mad that their kid won’t play lacrosse championships.) 

I do sympathize with parents who are left in a major bind due to single parenthood or food insecurity or whatever reason. I know in Maryland there is still access to free and reduced cost meal programs. I’m not sure how this is happening but it was said that it is. 

Yeah, I don't understand the complaining about missing out on sports. I understand complaining about schools closing of you really don't understand why they are closing, which many people don't. 

I think figuring out food programs is the biggest factor in Delaware's decisions right now. Once they figure that out they will close schools. At least that is my guess from the brief talk I had with my relative who is superintendent of one the districts. But that was last weekend when no schools were closed yet.

• Like 1

We are open and I have mixed feelings about it, but I also have a freshman in high school who has been working very hard in stage crew for the high school musical.  I will be sad if it is cancelled, he will really miss out, but if we turn out to have cases when testing gets going, I will be in favor of it.

We have had two tests taken from my county, one was negative and one is pending — apparently we have a lack of ability to process kits in labs, and I’m not clear if we have a shortage of kits also or not.  I think we do not there are facebook posts saying the labs can’t process a high volume and that’s why it is slow right now . 

Arkansas = Except for four counties, public k-12 schools have not yet closed.  Our local school district sent Chromebooks home today anticipating that the governor could announce school closings this weekend.  The superintendent stated that if the schools were not closed,  students whose families choose to self-isolate would be granted excused absences for the remainder of the month.  Those children will be provided with alternate assignments.   Communication with the school is to be via telephone or Internet, no impromptu visits.  

My oldest's charter school was closed today so teachers could prep for e-schooling beginning Monday.  

Local universities are closed.  They will be e-schooling for the remainder of the semester.  

• Like 1

CT - So far, school closures have been left up to each town or district. But a lot have canceled classes for at least 2 weeks. Our town and all surrounding towns have, and we’re on the opposite side of the state from where the confirmed cases are. From what I understand, some schools are sending packets home, others are not. I don’t know if any are doing online classes. 

Illinois' governor shut down all K-12 schools from next Tuesday until end of month. The students will go in on Monday to get packets/computers/etc. and to give time for parents to come up with childcare plans. I'm happy, but worried about my area which has a huge free/reduced lunch population. I guess we will see how it goes.

DD's community college spring break was this past week; it is extended through next week while staff figure out going to online.