Menu

Emergency switch to Home Schooled Science

seaben

Well our local public schools have closed until at least April 24th so after partial home schooling math for a few years,  I'll be doing it all for at least 5 weeks.  I have basic ideas for most things but I science is a bit of a problem. When the closure was only 2 weeks, I thought about just watching Crash Course Science or Royal Institution videos but now I would like something more real.

The problem is I have one kid in the middle of MS physical science and the other in HS Biology.   

Does anyone have any ideas that I could implement quickly?

I would be tempted to choose a related topic (or 2-3) that they have interest in and that isn’t likely to be covered when they return and have them study that. They can read adult-level science trade books, then tell/write about it or teach you what they learned.

https://www.nsta.org/publications/ostb/

They could design an experiment and complete it. Ruth (lewelma) has lots of posts about how she does that.

You could also do nature study and learn about plants/animals/geological phenomena in your area. 

I wish you the best! What a strange situation we find ourselves in...