Menu

Preferred prep books for subject tests?

I want to order a prep books for the SAT subject test (Biology).  Any recommendations on which publisher to get?  They will also be doing Khan Academy (Biology) to prep and I have the College Boards practice test book that they will do a week before the test.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I waited a while to answer this question, hoping that someone with experience with the biology test would chime in, but I hate to leave your query unanswered. My son has taken the SAT Math II and the Physics exam, and he found the College Board study guides with released tests most helpful, followed by Baron’s guide and The Princeton Review books.  

I like Barons for AP test prep, but I’m not as familiar with the subject tests.  However, I have seen many students panic after a Baron’s practice test.  The ones with which I am familiar are a bit harder than the actual exams.  I always try to warn my own students to keep them from panicking.  Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with biology testing in general.

You might also check into AlbertIO.  We always get personal subscriptions for AP test prep, but they may have SATII prep materials as well.  I’m off to check...

Edited by Hadley
  • Like 1

My son really liked the Princeton Review book for prep. He felt that the test had quite a bit of specific content that wasn't necessarily covered in his biology course. In general, he found subject tests somewhat annoying (the chemistry one had bizarro information about the colors of the flames of certain chemicals and other kinda strange info that just had to be memorized).

Regardless, just doing the PR review book before the test was enough to shore up the extra memorization and get the 800. He preferred the E version of the exam in his practices, but your student should pick whichever (E or M) is their stronger emphasis.

Good luck!

• Like 1