Menu

church and Covid19

ktgrok

Since the early 1600's the citizens of Oberammergau, Germany have produced the Passion Play every 10 years, which they promised to do if God spared them from the plague.  Ironically, this year's production is in jeopardy of being cancelled.  

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, wendyroo said:

Have you read any of the accounts from Italian hospitals?  People are being left in the hallways to die because some hospitals are operating at 200+% capacity and there are simply no rooms or medical supplies to go around.  Doctors and nurses and lay people and anyone else that can be pressed into service are caring for the sick around the clock until they themselves almost inevitably get sick (because masks and other safety equipment are in short supply) and then they are (hopefully) out of commission for 14 days unless they are part of the not insignificant percentage that die.

One of the problems in Italy is that when the northern territory was placed on lockdown, people fled out of the area to southern regions like Puglia.  Not only did this cause contact with large amounts of people and further spread of the virus, it placed many people in regions that are less well-equipped to handle large populations of critically ill. 

A colleague in China said that Hubei province suffered so dramatically because people rushed to the hospital in a panic, making it difficult to triage and care for those who really needed it.  Having lived through this in China he says that he is not convinced that quarantine is the best in that it can result in deaths in other ways (which the statistics do not pick up).  He says that the main thing is not to stir panic.

I think the church gathering as a community brings lots of benefits.  Some of those with the greatest needs are isolated and need the care of the church community.  While we should certainly be mindful of the risks of gathering as a community, we also need to be aware that there are other risks.  

• Like 2

If I were Pope... 😉

1. I'd require every priest (including those who aren't pastors ... all those administrator bishops can let the paperwork go for a while) to offer more Masses -- multiple per Sunday. Reinstitute the minor orders of Porters and Usher, immediately ordaining younger laymen (viri probati!) on an emergency basis as Ushers for the traditional task of guarding the entrance, limiting admission to any given mass. Hand massgoers a schedule of the new, plentiful mass times. Ushers guide attendees to their pews, one pew per family. Low masses only, 30 min. max, tell the elderly to go home and stay home. More Masses, not fewer, is safer.

2. Cessation of distribution of the Eucharist. The point is the Mass, not Communing. On the flip side of the new mass schedule will be instructions for making a Spiritual Communion.

3. General dispensation from Mass obligation in any area affected by Coronavirus. Most Catholics are under the impression they have no Mass obligation anyway; maybe a dispensation would remind them they in fact have to go every Sunday.

4. Seize the opportunity to permanently suppress Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers, Communion on the (nasty germy) hand, Communion under both species, and the Sign of Peace outside a High Mass where it stops at the Subdeacon and the congregation has nothing to do with it.

5. So as not to be too Traddy, Pope Violet would revive the 1980s tradition of Communal Absolution outside of auricular Confession. This would take place 10 minutes before Mass started, and end with a prayer to St Rocco, the too-long-ignored patron invoked against plague. 

Meanwhile, the Crown family will behave as if these things were already the case.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I have only ever seen that explained as a dispensation for people who are already ill orwho are homebound, never as for all elderly or medically high risk. (ihave heard of people getting an individual dispensation in extreme health cases).  If you have some resources that show that it is much broader, can you please link?

I don’t have a particular source because it’s always been that way. Some people may have chosen to interpret it more strictly but the wording is not as strict or narrow as you suggest. At some point we have to look at the actual words and take them at face value.

Lenten sacrifice is a great example of the RCC not being as strict and narrow as many rightly practice. For example, the rules of fasting and abstaining are relaxed for anyone over 70, under a certain young age I’m blanking on (I *think* 12), AND anyone sick or infirm.  It doesn’t say “over 70 and too sick to do it” though that is most often how it is interpreted in the spirit of intent to do good. And rightly so.

And there is usually nothing wrong with taking that narrower stance bc those rules are in place intending to meet a valid need - not as a catch all excuse to not do what we know we should do.

But the actual words have value too. Over 70? That alone is enough to materially excuse. If there is nothing else going on and they are just 70 and want a steak on Friday and are pulling this rule as a reason to do that? Imo I’d agree that is probably worthy of some spiritual scrutiny for them to address with their confessor, but not anything the general population would be able to know. 

So I say again. No one in the laity needs a special dispensation to avoid contagion spread.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

If I were Pope... 😉

1. I'd require every priest (including those who aren't pastors ... all those administrator bishops can let the paperwork go for a while) to offer more Masses -- multiple per Sunday. Reinstitute the minor orders of Porters and Usher, immediately ordaining younger laymen (viri probati!) on an emergency basis as Ushers for the traditional task of guarding the entrance, limiting admission to any given mass. Hand massgoers a schedule of the new, plentiful mass times. Ushers guide attendees to their pews, one pew per family. Low masses only, 30 min. max, tell the elderly to go home and stay home. More Masses, not fewer, is safer.

2. Cessation of distribution of the Eucharist. The point is the Mass, not Communing. On the flip side of the new mass schedule will be instructions for making a Spiritual Communion.

3. General dispensation from Mass obligation in any area affected by Coronavirus. Most Catholics are under the impression they have no Mass obligation anyway; maybe a dispensation would remind them they in fact have to go every Sunday.

4. Seize the opportunity to permanently suppress Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers, Communion on the (nasty germy) hand, Communion under both species, and the Sign of Peace outside a High Mass where it stops at the Subdeacon and the congregation has nothing to do with it.

5. So as not to be too Traddy, Pope Violet would revive the 1980s tradition of Communal Absolution outside of auricular Confession. This would take place 10 minutes before Mass started, and end with a prayer to St Rocco, the too-long-ignored patron invoked against plague. 

Meanwhile, the Crown family will behave as if these things were already the case.

I could be on board with all of that. 👍

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Spudater said:

It’s what I’ve been told by priests my whole life. I’ve never found anything to contradict them and support your interpretation in the years I was getting a BA in theology or the years since I’ve been teaching catechism to my kids. I’ve been googling it to see ifI can find anything. 🤷‍♀️  

Okay. We can argue interpretation like Protestants or we can take the words as the facts that they are. Intent does matter, but the fact that the words are not written that narrowly matters too. There’s a valid reason for it. Such as plagues and other factors. 

It also doesn’t say exactly at what wind speed we don’t have to attend mass but  I don’t need a special dispensation to not go  to mass during tornadic conditions. It still doesn’t mean I’m valid to say I don’t have to go to mass on days with a slight summer breeze because what I really want to do is go fly a kite. And if I did do that, my confessor would be entirely right to correct me. Same as my confessor would be entirely right to correct me for scrupulously if I insisted on driving up to the church while the tornado sirens are going off.

Again, I’m fine with the bishops reminding the laity that they have dispensation.  My quibble was that they don’t need to create  a special general dispensation to give. 

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

So as not to be too Traddy, Pope Violet would revive the 1980s tradition of Communal Absolution outside of auricular Confession.

I am impressed with your list except for this small section. I'm too Traddy to be on board w/Pope Violet on this one.

But I'm definitely looking up St Rocco. Sounds like a good saint to be asking for intercession from at this time.

No word on Masses locally, but since my area still has their head in the sand, I'm expecting Mass to go on as scheduled for now. I will have to decide if I allow my sons to serve next to our glad-handing Parish Priest. He'll definitely get it if it is in our community. (He's young but he gets sick easily.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

The Church already offers dispensation to the infirm or the ailing and to those who need to be their caregivers. It always has.  People may need sternly reminded of that by their bishops, but there doesn’t need to be a special dispensation.

I’m pretty hard core that there is never a good enough reason for the RCC to refuse to have mass entirely.  How far will this go? No anointing of the sick/last rites?  No baptisms or confirmations?

Dallas' Bishop offered a dispensation yesterday to people deemed high risk by the CDC -- the particulars are listed in his statement (people over 60, with chronic illnesses, etc.).

17 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m pretty upset at the idea of all catholic masses being canceled. It seems to me the better response would be to add more masses so that people can attend in smaller groups and be more spread out in the pews.  Possible permit outdoor masses to reduce spread as well.

We will be at mass if we are not sick.

I think it is awful that the Bishop of Oregon, and Oregon is a hot spot, will still be doing communion on the tongue.  Talk about spreading disease-outrageous

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Spudater said:

The feasibility of that will depend on your local conditions. Canon law allows a priest to say a maximum of three Masses on a Sunday. Our parish Mass schedule is chock full and both priests are already saying their maximum. And there are definitely too many of us there to spread out. For us, I think it would be a better move for the bishop to issue a blanket dispensation from the Sunday obligation for all elderly and those with health conditions that increase their risk. Frankly, way too many Catholics think it makes them extra pious to come when sick.  My second oldest almost died as a baby from a virus we caught at Mass. I’m pregnant right now and the number of Catholics on social media saying they will come to Mass no matter what and we all just need to have faith is seriously stressing me out. I would love a dispensation for myself right now...

Please don't go.  God is a God of Grace.  God is in charge, not any human.   As it is, the Archbishop in Milwaukee, has issued a dispensation.  Do not think that God is interested in hierachical wars--- just take his dispensation and stay home.  https://fox6now.com/2020/03/12/archbishop-listecki-catholics-are-free-of-obligation-to-attend-sunday-mass-for-a-couple-weeks/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I think it is awful that the Bishop of Oregon, and Oregon is a hot spot, will still be doing communion on the tongue.  Talk about spreading disease-outrageous

He did say that the health authorities told the diocese it wasn't any more hazardous than communing on the hand. I know the talking point in trad circles lately is that the priest's fingers don't touch lips or tongue unless the communicant does it wrong, but that isn't my experience (especially when one of the priests used to the New Mass gets drafted to help distribute).

The obvious thing is to suspend distributing the Eucharist to the laity at all. But Catholics today tend to think communion is the whole point of Mass, so somehow this standard practice of the previous 2000 years is unthinkable now.

ETA: Pretty sure no bishop has the canonical right to forbid communion by mouth unless all communing is banned.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

All this. And I don't mean it lightly. Honestly, churches not having services is kind of the thing tipping me over the "oh wow this is super serious" ledge. But I know the catholic churches here have maybe 500 per service, with standing room only, with 1 on saturday and 4 on sunday already. Even if you add 3 more on Saturday...still not enough and who would do it? And since the virus can live on surfaces, you'd have to have a team sanitizing the pews in between, or you could catch it from an empty pew. And with stores OUT of sanitizing cleaners, out of alcohol, out of nearly everything (I snagged some peroxide when I ordered today, but not at all confident it will actually be delivered), plus no hand sanitizer available, so you can't say, well, use that...it's bad. 

And the priest does "wash" with water before handing out communion, but certainly not for 20 seconds with soap. And of course, the idea of a priest who can't touch you at all..it's very distressing all around. I don't knw what the right answer is, but I think a dispensation for anyone worried about the virus is a good idea. And I agree that it is VERY upsetting when I hear about people who seem to think it makes them holy to show up to church no matter how sick. 

Totally agree.  Here is the dispensation from Milwaukee Archbishop= https://fox6now.com/2020/03/12/archbishop-listecki-catholics-are-free-of-obligation-to-attend-sunday-mass-for-a-couple-weeks/

16 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

The Church already offers dispensation to the infirm or the ailing and to those who need to be their caregivers. It always has.  People may need sternly reminded of that by their bishops, but there doesn’t need to be a special dispensation.

I’m pretty hard core that there is never a good enough reason for the RCC to refuse to have mass entirely.  How far will this go? No anointing of the sick/last rites?  No baptisms or confirmations?

Look at what Lombardy area of Italy is doing.  Take that as an example.  Remember, Jesus said that after Loving God, the second rule is Love Your Neighbor.  Your neighbor includes the medical staff that gets overwhelmed with patients and some of whom die, even though not old or with underlying conditions  Your neighbor includes the elderly.  Your neighbor includes the people with underlying conditions.  Jesus preached all the time how love is more important than rules (which was why the Pharisees and Sadducees were upset with him).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wendyroo said:

Have you read any of the accounts from Italian hospitals?  People are being left in the hallways to die because some hospitals are operating at 200+% capacity and there are simply no rooms or medical supplies to go around.  Doctors and nurses and lay people and anyone else that can be pressed into service are caring for the sick around the clock until they themselves almost inevitably get sick (because masks and other safety equipment are in short supply) and then they are (hopefully) out of commission for 14 days unless they are part of the not insignificant percentage that die.

Now is the only chance we are going to get to delay the spread and impact of the disease here.  And every single day we can delay the spread is going to save countless lives.  Most of us are going to get sick eventually, a certain percentage will require hospitalization, and of those some will needs intensive ICU care.  I think that is pretty much a given, so all we can do now is try to control how many of those patients will need medical services at the same time.  In countries and regions with adequate medical facilities, the fatality rate of COVID is around 1%.  That pales in comparison to the fatality rate in country's whose medical infrastructure is overwhelmed past the breaking point and therefore is offering subpar care to the sick.

If one contagious person, who isn't even showing any symptoms yet, attends a large church gathering, they can easily spread the virus to hundreds of people which will quickly becomes thousands as each goes about their daily lives.  Within days hospitals can be inundated and brought to their knees.  OTOH, if people avoid all large gatherings and self-isolate as much as possible, then we can slow the spread of the disease and the hospitalizations and ensure that everyone receives the best possible care and that the fatality rate is kept as low as possible.

Wendy

That one person scenario is why South Korea has had that huge outbreak.  That one person went to a megachurch and the people who had no idea they were infected because of no symptoms went on with their lives.

• Like 1

Our church is cancelled and it is viewed as a sacrifice, a love your neighbor sort of thing.  We're not terrified and we want to meet but being proactive to not spread disease is more important than us meeting as usual.

I see some people irl being proud to not take precautions and they label everyone else as fearful.  It is not fearful in our case, it is loving

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

ETA: Pretty sure no bishop has the canonical right to forbid communion by mouth unless all communing is banned.

According to Fr. Ralph (he who said, "Please don't lick the priest.") they can't forbid communion by mouth but at our parish, the priests and eucharistic ministers would very much appreciate people receiving communion on their hand. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I am impressed with your list except for this small section. I'm too Traddy to be on board w/Pope Violet on this one.

But I'm definitely looking up St Rocco. Sounds like a good saint to be asking for intercession from at this time.

No word on Masses locally, but since my area still has their head in the sand, I'm expecting Mass to go on as scheduled for now. I will have to decide if I allow my sons to serve next to our glad-handing Parish Priest. He'll definitely get it if it is in our community. (He's young but he gets sick easily.)

I am not on board with the general absolution either, but if we all just go be traddy all of the rest is already in place in the TLM.  If it could be implemented other places it would make it easier to find an acceptable Mass when going on vacation (when we get to have those again).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom2mthj said:

I am not on board with the general absolution either, but if we all just go be traddy all of the rest is already in place in the TLM.  If it could be implemented other places it would make it easier to find an acceptable Mass when going on vacation (when we get to have those again).

I'm just thinking of all those people with their faces close up against the screen, while Father leans over close to hear.

A friend who used to go to the Central American "magnet" parish in town said confessions there were generally outdoors, with Father in a chair against a tree trunk, facing away from the confession line, and penitents kneeling on the other side of the tree. It's really hard to overhear in the open air, so there's privacy and hygiene in one place. I could go for that solution.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

He did say that the health authorities told the diocese it wasn't any more hazardous than communing on the hand. I know the talking point in trad circles lately is that the priest's fingers don't touch lips or tongue unless the communicant does it wrong, but that isn't my experience (especially when one of the priests used to the New Mass gets drafted to help distribute).

The obvious thing is to suspend distributing the Eucharist to the laity at all. But Catholics today tend to think communion is the whole point of Mass, so somehow this standard practice of the previous 2000 years is unthinkable now.

Well and that is why the Catholic Church needs to get modern and also go with the Bible.  There is absolutely nothing in the Bible about how communion will be shared.   But I already knew that the Catholic Church isn't looking out for disabled and sick people.  Recent stories about how the autistic boy won't be able to get communion,  how the celiacs can't ever get communion, and now this-  legalism above love.  And Jesus preached Love and Grace-  not legalism.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, OKBud said:

+1

All the churches (of any size) in our diocese are closed until further notice. I'm really glad, because some people in church were openly antagonistic about any health measures whatsoever being taken. 

https://www.episcopalnewsservice.org/2020/03/13/diocese-by-diocese-list-of-announcements-in-response-to-coronavirus-outbreak/

Same here.  Last week a couple guys made a big show of shaking hands during the peace when we had just been asked not to.  They weren't "giving in to fear".  Ugh.  I don't get that attitude.  (Presuming it is fear)

We have so many ways to "meet" nowadays.  I really appreciate that face-to-face isn't seen as the only thing that "counts"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Well and that is why the Catholic Church needs to get modern and also go with the Bible.  There is absolutely nothing in the Bible about how communion will be shared.   But I already knew that the Catholic Church isn't looking out for disabled and sick people.  Recent stories about how the autistic boy won't be able to get communion,  how the celiacs can't ever get communion, and now this-  legalism above love.  And Jesus preached Love and Grace-  not legalism.

Okay.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, OKBud said:

+1

All the churches (of any size) in our diocese are closed until further notice. I'm really glad, because some people in church were openly antagonistic about any health measures whatsoever being taken. 

https://www.episcopalnewsservice.org/2020/03/13/diocese-by-diocese-list-of-announcements-in-response-to-coronavirus-outbreak/

There have been at least four attendees at a meeting of an Episcopalian Consortium have been diagnosed with coronavirus.  The rector at my church is one of them (and was the first case in my area.)

4 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Agree entirely. They need to show leadership by making that decision themselves, not relying on the parishoners to figure it all out. That's the whole point of a magesterium!

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Look at what Lombardy area of Italy is doing.  Take that as an example.  Remember, Jesus said that after Loving God, the second rule is Love Your Neighbor.  Your neighbor includes the medical staff that gets overwhelmed with patients and some of whom die, even though not old or with underlying conditions  Your neighbor includes the elderly.  Your neighbor includes the people with underlying conditions.  Jesus preached all the time how love is more important than rules (which was why the Pharisees and Sadducees were upset with him).

YESSSSS And I'd add that how we love our neighbor is how we love God. How we treat the least of these is how we treat God. Perhaps a paraphrase along the lines of, "I was a senior with COPD and you infected me" might go a long way. 

4 hours ago, happi duck said:

Our church is cancelled and it is viewed as a sacrifice, a love your neighbor sort of thing.  We're not terrified and we want to meet but being proactive to not spread disease is more important than us meeting as usual.

I see some people irl being proud to not take precautions and they label everyone else as fearful.  It is not fearful in our case, it is loving

Yes! They claim it is not giving into fear, but I have a feeling it is more the sin of pride. 

39 minutes ago, OKBud said:

+1

And despite having cases here, my diocese has crickets. Figures. 

16 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I hear your concerns and share some of them, but I don't think Christians attacking Christians is a good thing right now. Peace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I am very sad that you think this is a charitable way to address your brothers and sisters in Christ.  Maybe it is coming across wrong?   

29 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

You can’t get more biblical than Jesus specifically saying he did not come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it.  Jesus had no issue with the law.  His issue was with people perverting the law to suit their own desires. He actually preached love and grace and law.  People walked away bc he told them the law and they didn’t like it  He did not change the law to whatever would make it easier.

I can have compassion and love for the struggles of my fellows without agreeing with them.

6 minutes ago, SilverBrook said:

I am very sad that you think this is a charitable way to address your brothers and sisters in Christ.  Maybe it is coming across wrong?   

I think it came across just fine.  She is free to be honest and I am free to honestly explain why I think she is wrong in that stance.

Love is not dependent on agreement or acceptance of opinions.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

You can’t get more biblical than Jesus specifically saying he did not come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it.  Jesus had no issue with the law.  His issue was with people perverting the law to suit their own desires. He actually preached love and grace and law.  People walked away bc he told them the law and they didn’t like it  He did not change the law to whatever would make it easier.

I can have compassion and love for the struggles of my fellows without agreeing with them.

I think it came across just fine.  She is free to be honest and I am free to honestly explain why I think she is wrong in that stance.

Love is not dependent on agreement or acceptance of opinions.

I am sorry, I was trying to only quote Traveling Chris and I really shouldn't have done that.  I try to leave stuff alone, because I really am not a great online communicator.

Edited by SilverBrook

The president of our synod just put out a message basically encouraging folks to proceed with caution, not fear, and with love for their neighbors and respect and prayer for local government. All of which I agree with.

I'm not sure how this plays out in our individual congregation. On the one hand, my family is all currently well, with no reason to think we have been exposed to anything. And we are scheduled on Sunday for roles others will have to fill if we are absent. OTOH, we have a LOT of vulnerable elderly folks in our congregation and I honestly think it would be best for them to take a hiatus for a weekend or two. But I seriously doubt that will happen. Like others have mentioned, I'm seeing a lot of scoffing in my denomination and equating caution with "giving in to fear" and lacking faith. It makes me sad. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, SilverBrook said:

I am sorry, I was trying to only quote Traveling Chris and I really shouldn't have done that.  I try to leave stuff alone, because I really am not a great online communicator.

I think you communicated just fine too. 🙂  It’s all okay. I’m really not cranky or anything. Just discussing. 

2 hours ago, Heatherwith4 said:

I just saw a fb post from our church that basically sounds like they aren’t cancelling anything.  I am pretty much livid.  We are talking thousands of people every Sunday.  

Our church just canceled all church and non church activities in our church building for the month- except the preschool will be folliowing  Huntsville schools.  Randolph already went online.

My church will film services with just the pastors probably

• Like 1

My parents' church is continuing with regular services, but their attendance is so low I am pretty sure they can keep good social distancing.  Mom said they are going to be serving communion in individually wrapped packets like these.  The ushers are supposed to use hand sanitizer before serving, but mom isn't very confident that that is enough, so she is going to be skipping for a while until things settle down.  My brother has chosen to stay home altogether from church services for a while because he is immune-compromised.  He is a school teacher and very glad that they are closing the schools here.

• Like 2

Our church has canceled everything except Sunday services. Typical attendance is probably around 100 on a Sunday morning, less in the evening service. They are asking that people stay home if they are at all sick, so since DH and I both have colds (just regular colds!), our family will be home tomorrow. Assuming we do go next weekend, we will make sure that our family is not sitting close to anyone else. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 3:42 AM, Bootsie said:

A colleague in China said that Hubei province suffered so dramatically because people rushed to the hospital in a panic, making it difficult to triage and care for those who really needed it.  Having lived through this in China he says that he is not convinced that quarantine is the best in that it can result in deaths in other ways (which the statistics do not pick up).  He says that the main thing is not to stir panic.

well, there were at least two in china that I know about.  some idiot decided to break quarantine - and killed two guards to do it.  Knowing china - he'll probably be executed making it three deaths from "other ways".

• Sad 1

Our services are definitely still on. Not sure how I feel about that.

We are 100% on board with self-isolating in the interest of protecting those around us. But what good does that do if a large percentage of the community isn't participating? It's the same with things like the TP shortage: we purposely didn't buy TP early in the week when we shopped because we didn't need any at the moment and didn't want to contribute to causing a shortage. But now, although we are still fine for the time being, there isn't a square to spare in our town. Hopefully a shipment arrives before we run out.

When dh asked about services, our pastor (whom I dearly love, don't get me wrong) quoted the commandment about the Sabbath to him. But what about the commandment against murder? Our catechism interprets that as a prohibition against doing anything that will hurt or harm our neighbor's body. Christians have historically been known as those who are willing to rush in to aid others in a crisis, even at risk to their own life and limb. But what happens when the best possible way we can help is to STAY AWAY? I don't like the insinuation that those of us who are trying to help by self-isolating (or as one of the memes in the other thread put it, being exiled for the good of the realm 😆) are just giving in to panic and fear. I am not afraid for myself or even my kids; I just want to protect my neighbor. How does that make me a bad Christian?

• Like 3

We go to church regularly (25 years) that has in attendance in person on any given Sunday approx 2500 people, maybe 3000.  That's in the sanctuary.  That does not include the other buildings for preschool, kids, middle and high school.  Folks greet others positioned nearby with a handshake many times.  Our pastor advised no touching right now.   And, he did cancel services for tomorrow, Sunday.  He'll go and preach from the pulpit and our choir will be present but the congregation has been told to not come to the church campus b/c the doors will be locked.  The service will be live-streamed tomorrow.  Well, it has been every Sunday for awhile as we have people from around the world who "attend" via on-line services.   So, we'll have "church service" but not in our church "building" tomorrow.  Who knows if that will carry over in the weeks ahead.  Our local school district is advancing spring break from mid-April to now include 2 teacher work days March 19 and 20 and spring break March 23 - 27.   

What a mess!  

17 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

One of our pastors and several other church members have the virus. Everything is cancelled. The building is closed. 

The church where my AHG troop meets has closed their building. 

I'm so sorry to hear this!!

our church has cancelled all services and all activities, which I think is wise since we have an older population which is at risk. Some are gathering in small groups in their homes, but I don't think we will even do that because of  my mom's fragile health. I don't want to risk giving her something.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I wish our church would cancel. I feel like there is a lack of real concern for what is going on. I also feel like my family has to go if services are on, because we have various responsibilities. 😞 And I don't want to go.

(hugs)

I teach kids who often attend while ill (after class: "how'd Johnny do?  He was throwing up last night.").  I was honestly relieved when our bishop cancelled.

It really truly isn't fear to not meet in person!  The church can be clever about this and "meet" other ways.

More (hugs)

• Like 1

My diocese finally posted a statement, and it is NOT good enough. we have multiple cases in this diocese! They could totally suspend communion services and go to morning prayer instead - that was the norm for many many many decades if not centuries within the Episcopal/Anglican tradition. There is ZERO reason not to do that now. Ridiculous. And they aren't even stopping the common cup. http://www.cfdiocese.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Coronavirus-Communion-and-the-Diocese-of-Central-Florida-3-4-20.pdf

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3