Menu

Urgent attempted murder question

Murphy101

On March 2nd, The Wife set 2 pieces of vacuum sealed frozen mahi-mahi in a refrigerator to thaw in time for a meatless meal on March 4th.

On March 10th, The Husband invited the The Wife to enjoy a delectible spicy roasted mahi-mahi dish.  Wife is delighted because she had been avoiding the dinner meal due to the rest of the clan eating 5 layer nachos and tacos for dinner, of which she sadly should not partake.

Just as The Wife is about to bite she vaguely remembers putting some fish in the frig to thaw at some point a very long time ago to raw fish.  The Wife smiles and politely inquires if this fish was recently from the frig or freezer. The Husband knows that tone and aghast at the expense and his culinary efforts potentially being thrown away - he says with certainty and affront, "From the freezer of course." Follwing up sweetly with, "Was there any other?"

The Wife was briefly relieved with the first sentence and knew he was completely full of crap with the second sentence and got up to verify for herself.  There was no mahi-mahi in the refrigerator.

The Wife exclaims in horror that he is trying to kill her.  What if she got botulism?! What a miserable death he would inflict on her! What did she ever do to deserve this?!

The Husband callously laughs at her and claims she is being ridiculous, that there's no way it has botulism.  Why it has been vacuum sealed in the refrigerator and should not only still be fine after being properly cooked, it should still be fine for at least another 3-5 days.

But The Wife is sure that mahi-mahi was poisoned and leaves the nacho-scent filled room to contemplate the cold comfort of cashew-milk ice cream.

Would this kind jury of peers judge whether the wife was right to evade possible death or whether she was simply wasteful of her husband's good cooking?  

ETA: Upon crossing the room to obtain her fake ice cream, The Wife hears a sweet planative child beg for some of the mahi going uneaten.  To which The Husband says, "Suuur- *Looks up in time to see the glower of The Wife signaling she will rip his head off and serve THAT.* Uh. *sigh* No?  No.  Mom says this batch isn't safe to eat."

So mostly safe in the world again, The Wife turns away for that fake pint of love and when she turns back around, the cat is eating mahi off the plate on the floor.  Ugh.  Oh well.  She didn't really like that cat anyways.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 3
  • Haha 29

DH came up with all kinds of creative reasons it could have been fish from the freezer but eventually concluded he wouldn't have eaten it either.  But still brownie points for the nice dinner.

ETA: If it's any consolation now you have me craving my favorite cashew-milk snickerdoodle ice cream!

Edited by Katy
  • Haha 1

I am one of those who usually leans in the direction of eating something questionable after it passes the sniff test.

But fish?  That's probably been completely thawed out for over a week?  No way. Fish is something I thaw/buy the day before we use it at most. 

I think The Wife was wise to evade certain death.  Or at the very least,a  certain case of violent food poisoning. 

• Like 2

Once, in a house with multiple roommates, I refused to eat a delectable dish of chicken stewed with garlic, tomatoes and olives, because the chicken had been sitting in the fridge for too long. Several roommates mocked me for my scruples, as they waved forkfuls of delicious chicken stew in my face.

Then most of them got food poisoning, within a day or two. 

I didn't gloat, but I did take it as confirmation to listen to my gut on such things. You did the right thing.

• Like 3

Ugh.  I have a very sensitive sense of smell, and if there had been one whiff of spoiled smell on that fish, i would not have cooked it.  I buy fresh fish regularly, and there's just no way it didn't smell off after a week in the fridge.  I wouldn't have trusted my husband to smell it, so no--I would not have eaten it, either.  When I buy fresh fish at Publix on Saturday (always grocery day), I cook it no later than Monday.  We actually refer to Monday as Fish Monday because, if we're having fish, that's when it is.  I've tried to stretch it to Tuesday and ended up throwing out a lot of fish.

Good luck to the cat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plansrme said:

Ugh.  I have a very sensitive sense of smell, and if there had been one whiff of spoiled smell on that fish, i would not have cooked it.  I buy fresh fish regularly, and there's just no way it didn't smell off after a week in the fridge.  I wouldn't have trusted my husband to smell it, so no--I would not have eaten it, either.  When I buy fresh fish at Publix on Saturday (always grocery day), I cook it no later than Monday.  We actually refer to Monday as Fish Monday because, if we're having fish, that's when it is.  I've tried to stretch it to Tuesday and ended up throwing out a lot of fish.

Good luck to the cat.

We have the same thing for Sunday - seafood sunday. It’s gotta be sunday because I get groceries on Sunday. 

Well, DH would never do this because I abhor fish. But it was sweet of him to fix it for The Wife.

Am I the only one who wonders why the fish wasn't used when it was originally supposed to be? If it wasn't used, it should have been thrown out before it could tempt The Husband to use it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Well, DH would never do this because I abhor fish. But it was sweet of him to fix it for The Wife.

Am I the only one who wonders why the fish wasn't used when it was originally supposed to be? If it wasn't used, it should have been thrown out before it could tempt The Husband to use it.

They ended up eating out at a church event that Wednesday instead of cooking at home.  The husband never ever eats fish bc he hates it. He made dinner for the family and decided to make the wife the thawed fish in the frig. It’s debatable he knew it was 7 days thawed and obviously didn’t think it mattered anyways.

As for the cleaning out of the frig, it usually gets done about every 12-14ish days and hadn’t made it to that point yet. 

• Like 2