Menu

What's with the ads?

JenneinCA

All in person classes suspended at my son’s college

So looks like we can bring DS home but tickets for next Saturday.  

Edited by frogger

UT-Dallas extended Spring Break and is moving all classes to online for the remainder of the semester. I am annoyed to be paying for housing when Son 2 could just be at home. If he leaves campus, he loses his spot, though. No cases reported so far on his campus. I appreciate the proactive response.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, Selkie said:

I'm annoyed that the university my boys attend has decided to go ahead with classes as usual for the next week. They'll have their spring break the following week, and then start online instruction on March 30. I want my boys out of those germy dorms and classrooms ASAP, so I wish they would send students home now like the other colleges around here have done.

Quoting myself to update...late this afternoon, there was an abrupt announcement that all classes for next week are canceled. Students were strongly encouraged to leave the dorms, and told that once they left, they cannot return to campus until face to face instruction resumes. Ds19 heard from a faculty member that someone on campus had tested positive and that was the reason for the sudden change in plans. 

Both my boys are home now. They brought most of the contents of their dorm rooms home with them, since who knows when they will be back at school.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, elegantlion said:

We've finally closed. Classes will be online next week, then we have spring break, then they're going to reevaluate. Professors are getting ONE DAY 😳 to set up online protocols (obviously there will have to be flexibility). Okay, their weekend too.  I hope they announce whether we'll be online for the rest of the semester because I could vacate my apartment at the end of April and move home. Survival mode is how it was labeled today. 

Quoting myself also as we've been notified today that the remainder of the semester will be online. 

CDC says there is no benefit to closing schools long term without significant cases of COVID. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/considerations-for-school-closure.pdf

Everywhere I go, there are mobs of kids who will now be putting the people who are truly at risk at a higher risk. Our public schools are closed as well.

My dd’ school was going to let kids stay on campus, but go to online learning, but once the public schools shut down, they can no longer staff the campus.

There will be similar issues for health care workers who have young children at home. I’m in Virginia.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

Everywhere I go, there are mobs of kids who will now be putting the people who are truly at risk at a higher risk. 

No joke.  My dh and I had a morbid chuckle at this photo published in our local paper, that has since been pulled from their website for obvious reasons:

U1NMojuEOkI9TLwJvk1NibeJ1fxhJaszI2mVY3cvEmKY9-x3zZCJTAht-KGpllfc5-_8NWqkI9d7nGIUdXbKJAYCN7uyyvdSb99ypxWorIXMvcVUZegeKJcRPr01lZskUKWbwq2p4BhiulPyoHxBbFC2HA8AyiZZrT_G6B6_WYJWrpapI0zsBDtgbrxa6g5ZD5BDpDf7Y6fd_sXQomIns_sDh_0LCsqgez6ZZaPUSWPQue_1jUKjvCBYJ6xfj7j1v2mZqsTs3kAEJfPRqTZSE4hOe-olJw7khVSL9fjiRq87Ij-cSZBSlmCOPN6uZumqcvk8XiCFJ2A3MnF-GtTOSjJNmHBN0upfXzso5xoczvAZhRePcx8L7PkYGvVOuymJoj6jv1Kn4uThq-xNVRYt9A4UU2dBVGnCm3FrpEpQGiFZ5GrLyBkFxX9Z1OZ4neJ64OgusGrhTNX3fkQvdwhaHcTw0OmbQfEji9GZ5q8Fqe8VJQ4smTukxlgWC5jR6MCrV3XTUF-dMzzUV3AVOrqHNVwQLNIMsEqRTi6JQPzfrdZ4tdTUzap2rlBCid-uM94bD2PcKwMQlVgQYTZGx1YetvVr58OlE0WJRyrbgq7IYH9dfRqJiSVEK8Z61l-7meR5xgSIpLp98IpkwzD4_yuIQ-Rpigh-9rTdr4oy1QTliOHBnxR38TjRgwfvOgd8zCg=w1061-h1413-no

Yeah, Nana Lita is not long for this Earth.  

Edited by daijobu

3 hours ago, daijobu said:

U1NMojuEOkI9TLwJvk1NibeJ1fxhJaszI2mVY3cvEmKY9-x3zZCJTAht-KGpllfc5-_8NWqkI9d7nGIUdXbKJAYCN7uyyvdSb99ypxWorIXMvcVUZegeKJcRPr01lZskUKWbwq2p4BhiulPyoHxBbFC2HA8AyiZZrT_G6B6_WYJWrpapI0zsBDtgbrxa6g5ZD5BDpDf7Y6fd_sXQomIns_sDh_0LCsqgez6ZZaPUSWPQue_1jUKjvCBYJ6xfj7j1v2mZqsTs3kAEJfPRqTZSE4hOe-olJw7khVSL9fjiRq87Ij-cSZBSlmCOPN6uZumqcvk8XiCFJ2A3MnF-GtTOSjJNmHBN0upfXzso5xoczvAZhRePcx8L7PkYGvVOuymJoj6jv1Kn4uThq-xNVRYt9A4UU2dBVGnCm3FrpEpQGiFZ5GrLyBkFxX9Z1OZ4neJ64OgusGrhTNX3fkQvdwhaHcTw0OmbQfEji9GZ5q8Fqe8VJQ4smTukxlgWC5jR6MCrV3XTUF-dMzzUV3AVOrqHNVwQLNIMsEqRTi6JQPzfrdZ4tdTUzap2rlBCid-uM94bD2PcKwMQlVgQYTZGx1YetvVr58OlE0WJRyrbgq7IYH9dfRqJiSVEK8Z61l-7meR5xgSIpLp98IpkwzD4_yuIQ-Rpigh-9rTdr4oy1QTliOHBnxR38TjRgwfvOgd8zCg=w1061-h1413-no

Not sure what happened, but the picture you posted didn't come through at all for me. 

@Mom0012 I know it isn't possible because of human nature, but the kids all need to just stay home!! 

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Not sure what happened, but the picture you posted didn't come through at all for me. 

It shows a teenage boy leaning over the bed of this elderly woman, faces are inches apart.  The caption reads:  "<Name>, 19,  at home on Spring Break, ... visited his 97 year old grandmother, <Name>, in a nursing facility on Tuesday."  They are both smiling.

A more appropriate caption might be: "Local teenager writes death warrant for 97 year old grandmother."

• Sad 2

Honestly, all the kids racing home from college might just make things explode. It's hard to not want my son with me. I'm worried they will close dorms at some point on him but I wish I could test him before moving him in with us all. We are choosing to self quarantine when he gets here so others should be ok but of course I have other children and I also have asthma. 

• Like 3

Checked college kid out of dorms yesterday. Not how he expected sophomore year to end, for sure. Barely fit it all in the car.

luckily his internship is ok with him moving to remote work as the whole company is probably going remote anyways. 

Fingers crossed he is able to move back this summer into an apartment to complete internship in person.

Concerned about mental health for lots of young adults now stranded at home. Tough times that none of us have any sort of experience with.

• Like 4

... and she's been given a date she has to be out of the dorms by. Sigh.

• Sad 2

Ds19's college is going to have next week off and then start online only classes.

Students were given the choice about whether to stay or go.  Ds19 is staying and will be able to pick up extra hours at his on-campus job.  And because of the job he is working, he was told that his room and board fee would be waived for the rest of the semester.  He is thrilled!  

8 minutes ago, Junie said:

Students were given the choice about whether to stay or go.  Ds19 is staying and will be able to pick up extra hours at his on-campus job.  And because of the job he is working, he was told that his room and board fee would be waived for the rest of the semester.  He is thrilled!  

Originally, DD's campus was given the same choice. However, the situation is changing rapidly. Be prepared for the campus to shut down with very little notice (72 hours or less in some cases).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, RootAnn said:

... and she's been given a date she has to be out of the dorms by. Sigh.

Ugh. I'm sorry.  😞

I guess it's good I got DS home. 

DD’s college was trying to leave support services, libraries, computer labs, etc open for students who didn’t have access at home,  but as of today, have closed everything. Classes restart tomorrow. I have no clue how that is going to work for many of the students.

• Sad 1