Menu

What's with the ads?

Hi! My question is are the new Apologia Science books still considered a good at-home science option? If not, any ideas? 

I know Novare is new on the scene, as well. I have asked on the MP forums and the consensus seems to be that the labs are near impossible to do at home due to cost/complicated setup. Has anyone else found this to be true? I like that the books are focused more on mastery of a smaller amount of information rather than trying to cover it all.

Online classes are not an option for us for many reasons.

Edited by Paradox5

Apologia's new Advanced Biology and Advanced Physics are both fine, we've done both independently at home with no trouble, including labs.

I would go with Berean Builders for Chemistry I instead of Apologia's if you can't find copies of the 2nd edition anywhere used - it was written by Dr Wile in response to his less than positive response to them re-doing his chemistry course and is still designed to be independent.

You can still get the 2nd editions of Apologia Biology I, Advanced Chemistry, and Physics I on the Berean Builders website last I looked.

We've used all of them with good success!

Edited by Momto6inIN
  • Like 3

I just finished going through the novare physical science book to decide which labs we will do next year.  They are definitely written with a classroom in mind, but with a few simple substitutions I think we can do most of them at home with less less than $100 in supplies.  I'm not sure how different the labs are in the high school books, but you should be able to do a lab kit from a different publisher with it if you want.  Or you could do the apologia labs with novare books.  That's what I'm considering for high school.  You are probably already aware, but home science tools has kits for novare.  If nothing else, it may be helpful to see what's included.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:45 AM, Syllieann said:

I just finished going through the novare physical science book to decide which labs we will do next year.  They are definitely written with a classroom in mind, but with a few simple substitutions I think we can do most of them at home with less less than $100 in supplies.  I'm not sure how different the labs are in the high school books, but you should be able to do a lab kit from a different publisher with it if you want.  Or you could do the apologia labs with novare books.  That's what I'm considering for high school.  You are probably already aware, but home science tools has kits for novare.  If nothing else, it may be helpful to see what's included.

Thank you. HST is where I have been looking things up. I bought Novare Earth Science after he and my husband looked over the avaiable options. He won't be high school "offically" until September, btw. 

Edited by Paradox5

I looked at Novare's samples, because I was never able to find a physics or chemistry textbook that we liked.  It looked so dry.  And I have a science degree and I couldn't stand reading the samples.  My kids would complain if I bought it.  I know it would be a fight every time they had to read it.  It's probably a solid program, though.   

Apologia Biology - we really liked, plan to use it in January with dd15 and dd12 (hopefully dd12....we'll see)

Apologia Marine Biology - currently doing this and they both enjoy it.  dd15 says this is her favorite science so far.  The labs are really fun.  We didn't do general biology first and dd15 is just fine.

Apologia Chemistry - I think it's a very sound program....but it is really boring.  I made the mistake of using this with my oldest and it murdered her love of chemistry.  Her chemistry year was a wash, because of this book.  It's my biggest high school regret - lol.  (And before someone says anything....my first job offer after college was as a chemist - I really like chemistry!!)

We have not tried Apologia Physics, but it also looked really, really dry.  Ugh.  I couldn't bring myself to do physics with my oldest, because I just couldn't find a program that looked interesting, so she graduated without it.  Ds17 will also graduate in December without physics.  Oh well.  The college didn't care and they're going to be nurses anyway.

I am thinking about trying Apologia's Advanced Biology and possibly the nutrition curriculum.

• Like 1

A little update- Well, I should have followed my Mom-tuition and gone with Apologia. Novare made my guy almost cry with extreme frustration. There seems to be a large disconnect between the text and the required output! 

Evanthe- did you use the old Or new edition of chemistry? We have a few math levels to go before we need it, but I was curious. As we are using Saxon Math, the plan is Saxon Physics, if we get there. My guy wants to be an engineer so he is going to need it!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

A little update- Well, I should have followed my Mom-tuition and gone with Apologia. Novare made my guy almost cry with extreme frustration. There seems to be a large disconnect between the text and the required output! 

Evanthe- did you use the old Or new edition of chemistry? We have a few math levels to go before we need it, but I was curious. As we are using Saxon Math, the plan is Saxon Physics, if we get there. My guy wants to be an engineer so he is going to need it!

What do you think about scaffolding a bit until he's comfortable with the required output?  Or change the required output to be a better fit and still accomplish learning goals?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Oh gosh, you're scaring me.  I was going to do the earth science after the physical science.  It was the novare earth science with the huge disconnect?  1st or 2nd edition?

Edited by Syllieann

16 hours ago, Syllieann said:

Oh gosh, you're scaring me.  I was going to do the earth science after the physical science.  It was the novare earth science with the huge disconnect?  1st or 2nd edition?

1st edition Earth Science. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

What do you think about scaffolding a bit until he's comfortable with the required output?  Or change the required output to be a better fit and still accomplish learning goals?  

I’m having him list 3-5 facts from each section instead and not doing any other output. The text did not have tests. He may still do labs with Dad, but I don’t know. Maybe he is still too young for it and needs more time to mature.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m having him list 3-5 facts from each section instead and not doing any other output. The text did not have tests. He may still do labs with Dad, but I don’t know. Maybe he is still too young for it and needs more time to mature.

Couple of questions for you....how old is your son and did you buy the resource CD?  My son did Earth science a couple of years ago when it first came out and I know there were weekly quizzes.  I am a terrible saver of stuff, but I distinctly remember quizzes on phases of the moon.  I know physical science also had weekly review sheets, but I don’t think earth science did.  There were also sample answers to the questions in the book which I found helpful.  If you can give some examples of the problems he is having, maybe it can be worked through with some help here.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 7:46 PM, Paradox5 said:

We used the 2nd edition for Chemistry.  I may take a look at their Advanced Chemistry book for dd15.  I think my new plan for chemistry (when dd12 and ds5 hit that age) is I'm going to actively teach the lessons on a dry erase board and I'll assign living books to them, then we'll do the labs + my Microchem Lab Kit (we loved that lab kit).  I won't have them just sit there on their own and read the book ever again.  Lol.

Novare - like I said, we haven't used it, but I looked at the samples, because it comes so highly recommended.  Just really, really dry.  I have a degree in biology and I was one lab class away from a minor in chemistry and even I couldn't get through reading the samples.  Science is so interesting!  I don't know why those textbooks make it so boring.  

Sigh.  I just wish there was more out there for high school science.  All the science curricula looks the same and it's just so dry.

• Like 1

Well, if anyone is interested in an update to Apologia Marine Biology...we're halfway through it.  We're getting ready to do the shark dissection.  I think this has been our absolute favorite high school science so far!  It's going to be hard to top that next year.  All of the labs have been great.  We learned a lot with the dissections.  The microscope slide kit was ridiculously expensive, but I'm so glad I bought it.  We have really enjoyed Marine Biology.

• Like 3