covid19 memes

gardenmom5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

Negin, my kids literally laughed til they cried at those wearethevirus memes. 😂

Glad that they got a good laugh. My daughter shared them with me and we laughed so much also!

There's actually a bit of a serious story behind it. My daughter found those memes for me since I was feeling so irritated by some Facebook posts that have been saying how wonderful Covid-19 has been for the environment and all. These memes make fun of those posts. I have needed them! In case you or anyone is interested, here's a post I wrote on Facebook just the other day. I had to get it out of my system. 

--

My dear Facebook friends and family,

I have been seeing many posts about the supposed silver lining of Covid-19, specifically about the positive impact that this virus has had on the environment.

Many of the memes are untrue. No, Venice has not had a rise in dolphins! Those memes are hoaxes. These posts are laughable, and I will be sharing some of them soon.

Other posts are insensitive and quite frankly, stupid. I have seen posts stating things such as, “No rape cases, no murders!” and so on. Yes, rape cases and murders may be down, but has any one thought about:

• women going through domestic violence?

• children who are fearful in their own homes?

• children who go hungry and maybe their only meal of their day is at school? Yes, this is a thing in the country where we live, and I’m sure that it’s a problem in many places

People are worried about loss of income, paying their bills, how to pay rent, and so on. Small businesses have had to close down (our own business included). People have lost their jobs, and then I see this nonsense on Facebook, about how fabulous this is for the environment. I read this somewhere:

“There’s a darker — if unintended — side to claims that nature is better off without humans. It’s not only misanthropic to turn a blind eye to human suffering in the service of conservation; it also echoes some of the dark, racist strains of the environmentalist movement.”

I’m only pointing this out on my own timeline, since I believe that some people must either be living in their own bubble and suffering from sort of tunnel vision, or that they’re plain out insensitive. The irony is that some of them have small businesses also. One would think that they would be more considerate. If this nightmare drags on, I know that their own businesses will be heavily impacted.

I no longer wish to get into arguments on Facebook. Although I see these posts on my feed, I scroll down, but these posts bother me. As a good friend of mine once said, “I try to adopt a non-confrontational aspect when I comment or interpret comments on my posts.

I dislike arguments and carping on social media so here is my classification:

If I love or respect a post I will always try and say so.

If I dislike a post, I tend to say nothing, or no ‘like’.”

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Negin said:

When you're serious about the 6-foot rule. 

when you're serious about the 6 foot rule.jpg

Meanwhile, I am thinking, “Dude, that’s not 6 feet!!!  (The noodle sticking forward from his face,  so should be at same distance from lens as he is, is only about 1/3 his height.  So it it is a 6 foot noodle, he’d be 18 feet tall, or 12 feet tall for a 4 foot noodle.)  Y’all are way too close! Better use a big hoop kilt.  And where are your masks?  ... is that Texas? “

Are people staging these scenes with people too close only in order to make meme photos?  WTH are they thinking?  A funny photo is not worth risking people’s health and safety.  Maybe Michigan Governor is right to close home improvement shopping if this photo is an example

Edited by Pen
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Meanwhile, I am thinking, “Dude, that’s not 6 feet!!!  (The noodle sticking forward from his face,  so should be at same distance from lens as he is, is only about 1/3 his height.  So it it is a 6 foot noodle, he’d be 18 feet tall, or 12 feet tall for a 4 foot noodle.)  Y’all are way too close! Better use a big hoop kilt.  And where are your masks?  ... is that Texas? “

Are people staging these scenes with people too close only in order to make meme photos?  WTH are they thinking?  A funny photo is not worth risking people’s health and safety.  Maybe Michigan Governor is right to close home improvement shopping if this photo is an example

That guy looks like he's on oxygen too.  You can see the nose cannula and tubing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I have a friend who very seriously thinks this way (that deaths are being misattributed to corona) and I had to mute her. I can't deal.

Same here. He keep saying "I don't know anyone who has it." He lives in a town with 200 people and he's 4 hours from a Wal-Mart. Of course he doesn't know anyone who has it!

22 minutes ago, sassenach said:

That guy is on oxygen and I just want to yell through the picture, "Go home! Save yourself!" Man, my heart goes out to him.

he's at lowes - not a grocery store.

10 hours ago, Negin said:

s1.png

I don't think you'll like season 2.   I've seen some articles about increased volcanic activity on anok Krakatoa (child of Krakatoa) and the peninsula outside Reykjavik in Iceland.

• Sad 3

32 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

You can laugh but this is actually going to happen in Central Florida.

https://www.wesh.com/article/governor-i-4-ultimate-sped-up-coronavirus/32114830

One of the things that we found amazing about Florida was that road projects were actually completed. In California, they go on for decades. Literally. There is still work going on on a stretch of highway that was under construction for my entire childhood. 

In Florida, they start a project and then they complete it. What a concept. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sassenach said:

One of the things that we found amazing about Florida was that road projects were actually completed. In California, they go on for decades. Literally. There is still work going on on a stretch of highway that was under construction for my entire childhood. 

In Florida, they start a project and then they complete it. What a concept. 

Um, huh? Having lived in Florida for 50 years and traveled around much of the state. Our road construction is never ending. It always seems that as soon as they finish a project it's time to update it. 

Just my little 50 mile stretch of I-95 that I drive regularly has been worked on for over ten years. They were adding lanes and for 10 years we drove to homeschool activities through construction. A few years ago I lamented that since our homeschool days ended so did the road construction and now that's it's all done I didn't need to drive it so much anymore. And then they started working on it again (and I do drive it again because it's our route to go to visit the grandkids). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

93026900_3334614323234719_2112181404828696576_n.jpg

I also couldn't help thinking about George Boole. . . . . . who wasn't able to go to school because he had to work to support his family.  He invented Boolean Algebra.  (great doc on ?Netflix?)

- - he said it was good he didn't go to school - he would have been content with what his teachers/professors would have taught him, and not gone asking his own questions and searching for the answers.

• Like 5