Menu

Spanish 1 online and Spanish SAT Subject test

Has anyone used the text Avancemos with an online Spanish 1 class, and if so, how did you and your DD/DS like the text? Also, has anyone taken a great Spanish 1 online class that is regionally accredited? I am looking for a regionally accredited online Spanish class due to some more competitive universities that do not recognize a foreign language on a homeschooler's transcript if it's not regionally accredited (and then one has to take the SAT subject test or try and CLEP it). I know many online classes that aren't regionally accredited are very good (I've used some)! I know about TPS and Wilson Hill (regionally accredited online providers). Kolbe Online Academy started the regional accreditation in fall 2019, so I imagine they will be regionally accredited soon. Has anyone's student taken Kolbe's Spanish 1 online class? Also, how hard is it to score at least a 500 on the Spanish SAT Subject test if I decide to go that route?  TIA for any advice!

We used Language Bird for Spanish and I see these are their current accreditations.  My took Spanish 3 and Spanish 4 with them, and was able to speed through, saving her a lot of class time in the process.  After she enrolled in college she took the SAT subject test in Spanish in order to satisfy their foreign language requirement.  (The minimum score in that case was 630.)  It looks like they offer test prep now at LB, but my dd just self-studied for the exam about a year after she finished her last Spanish class.  

• Like 1

I am still researching myself. I hope someone can answer about the importance of accreditation.  I certainly don't have it for my kids' Latin.  We plan to start Spanish next year, and this concern wasn't even on my radar.  

If our local co-op doesn't offer it, one option I was looking at is Homeschool Spanish Academy https://hsa.ladesk.com/049037-Are-you-accredited but I am not sure what to make of their answer.

I had looked at Language Bird but it is $2197/year currently for high school credit, which is unfortunately way beyond our ability.

If we take Spanish at the local high school instead, is that even accredited?  

• Like 1

@daijobu I've never heard of Language Bird for foreign language, so thank you! I think foreign language has been the hardest thing to figure out for my DS. 

@cintinative My oldest is in 12th grade, and after having been through the college app process with her, it's been eye-opening. It seems like the regional accreditation for core classes including foreign language for a couple of the competitive universities she applied to is important, at least to be competitive in the admissions process (or to show proof of proficiency like AP, CLEP, dual enrollment, SAT subject test etc.).  Our local university did not ask for proof of regional accreditation for foreign language, and it seemed like the 2 years of Spanish completed through an online provider that wasn't accredited was perfectly fine. Homeschool requirements for college admissions seem to vary widely. As far as taking Spanish at your local public high school, it should be regionally accredited (I think all public schools are). I looked at Homeschool Spanish Academy's accreditation page, and it looks like you have to register with NARHS and document (lots of) things for Spanish. I think I looked into NARHS briefly and thought it wouldn't be a good fit but I'm sure others have used it!

• Like 1

We did not care much about accreditation.  But my dd was concerned about satisfying a-g requirements for University of California.  At the time, they were listed as a-g, but then UC changed it's policy, and LB was no longer a-g approved by the time my dd applied to UC.  

Fortunately, lack of a-g approval didn't seem to be as important as we thought and she was admitted to Berkeley and UCLA anyway.  

Otherwise, accreditation was not a concern for us at all.  

• Like 1

@daijobu That's interesting. We had a similar experience where the 2-day/week tutoring place DD attended in 9th grade only was accredited when she went there, but lost its accreditation about 2 years ago. Thankfully she ended up with plenty of proficiency proof by the time it came to apply for college. What worked for DD for high school likely won't for DS due to learning styles and what I learned about a few different providers with my oldest (guinea pig). If I only knew how DS would do on SAT Subject tests in future, I wouldn't stress so much about a certain number of accredited classes in high school.

@RootAnn I've heard great things about Sr. Gamache.