Menu

Exploring Nature with Children for science?

gck21

Has anyone used Exploring Nature with Children by Lynn Seddon/Raising Little Shoots? I am curious what people think about using it for a K and 2nd (and tag along 3 yr old) science curriculum. Most reviews I have seen are from people using it with the preschool set, which makes me uncertain.  I was reading The Liberal Arts Tradition (Clark and Jain) and their explanation of promoting synthetic thinking in the early years struck me. I'm not unhappy with our science (we are using Elemental Science's preK/K curriculum this year), but I do wonder if we could be more hands-on and if we could get outside more. I am even toying with the idea of trying to start a homeschool nature group using this curriculum, but I am not sure I could get the interest if it is mostly suitable for very young children. 

Anyway...my only real requirement is I find something that we can do together. Two separate sciences won't happen. I am also looking at Bookshark 1 (Animals, Astronomy, and Physics), Elemental Science's Biology for the Grammar Stage, and R.E.A.L Science Odyssey's Life Level 1 if anyone has any thoughts. I'm open to other curriculum too, but I'd prefer no young earth creationism. 

• Like 1

I’m using it with my kids, all ages.  You can do as little or as much as you want.  I mostly just use it to guide our outdoor nature time.  We use her mini lessons and schedule and skip the extras.  Once in awhile we do an activity.  We are also using SCM’s Journaling a Year in Nature.  

• Like 1

@gck21 I am not familiar with the program you are asking about, but I want to encourage you in general.  The greatest science education you can provide your young children is teaching them to observe.  It doesn't require a specific program.  Just guide them to observe little details and to ask questions.  As a family, search for answers, learn together.  Look at the different kinds of bark on trees, different shapes of leaves. Observe what other types of fauna are in the area, etc.  Those types of observations lead to thinking in terms of ecological webs.  Understanding ecosystems are intertwined and co-dependent is scientific thinking. 

Observing weather patterns, seasons, the lunar calendar, bird migrations, etc.....all of those are observable and accessible to young kids.  It does not take "experiments" for kids to be exposed to scientific thought.  

• Like 1

My youngest dd was in a co-op class that used that as a loose spine. They paired a science topic with an art project and used a blank sketch book to capture some of both. It was a great class.

At younger ages work to build the inherent love of science and it will pay off later when they are interested in taking deeper topics with enthusiasm because they "love science"

• Like 1