Menu

Am I the only one not overly worried about Covid19?

Murphy101

2 hours ago, SKL said:

We all know that the rates reported are inaccurate, and the increases are the most inaccurate of all, and the more they increase testing, the less accurate the rise in cases is.  So we really do not know what the curve is.

I mean, kind of. You can apply the curve to JUST hospitalized cases and it still works. Approximately every 16 days, unmitigated, cases rise by a factor of 10. So if you have 2 people hospitalized today, you'll have approximately 20 hospitalized in 16 days, and approximately 200 hospitalized in 32 days, and so on. 

We don't have to have accurate current case numbers to have a rough idea of where we are heading for the most serious cases.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SKL said:

We all know that the rates reported are inaccurate, and the increases are the most inaccurate of all, and the more they increase testing, the less accurate the rise in cases is.  So we really do not know what the curve is.

I personally think WHO hugely dropped the ball early with re CV19 to put it as nicely as I am able—even added to the horrible global spread by urging people to right on with international airplane travel.

And yet even WHO now seems to be waking up.  I don’t know if this was shared specifically here:

2 days ago · Any country thinking “that won't happen to us, is making a deadly mistake,” warned World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus....

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Also, I'm pretty sure that telling everyone that it's already everywhere is NOT going to make average people more careful.  They will assume they already have it and hope for the best.

Yes. That would be very foolish.  But you r right that it could happen that way.  

The NY Times Daily podcast might have touched on this folly.  

So did Deborah Birx. 

I guess that then if people cannot Social distance on their own there must be more severe lockdowns.  Sad state of affairs.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

No, we knew what was happening HERE and downplayed it and now are suffering for it. 

I'm not sure what that has to do with where it originated and preventing it from getting out of hand in China in the first place, which is what would have had to happen to prevent it from getting here, but I feel like we're talking past each other. I think our bungled response and red tape and bureaucracy preventing more widespread testing is a problem. I don't think it holds a candle to what the Chinese unleashed on the world by their government actively punishing and threatening doctors who tried to warn people of the severity and caseload, or by continuing to fly people in and out of Italy and Iran for economic gain. The US has their own issues, I agree. I don't think it is interchangeable with the issues created by China as you seemed to say in your first reply to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Pen said:

I personally think WHO hugely dropped the ball early with re CV19 to put it as nicely as I am able—even added to the horrible global spread by urging people to right on with international airplane travel.

And yet even WHO now seems to be waking up.  I don’t know if this was shared specifically here:

2 days ago · Any country thinking “that won't happen to us, is making a deadly mistake,” warned World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus....

Yes. That would be very foolish.  But you r right that it could happen that way.  

The NY Times Daily podcast might have touched on this folly.  

So did Deborah Birx. 

I guess that then if people cannot Social distance on their own there must be more severe lockdowns.  Sad state of affairs.  

I agree and that’s why I don’t 100 percent trust when they say the China figures are accuracy to be honest.  They also urged against travel bans.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I agree and that’s why I don’t 100 percent trust when they say the China figures are accuracy to be honest.  They also urged against travel bans.

Not only are China's number untrustworthy - so are Iran's.  While Iranians might not be going all over the western world, they are traveling around the middle east and there are countries there where their cases are growing in a very bad way.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bootsie said:

What indication do we have that we are climbing the red curve and not the blue curve?  Where are we really compared to stressing the medical community?  

And now add two emergency room doctors in critical condition from CoVid19.  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, EmseB said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with where it originated and preventing it from getting out of hand in China in the first place, which is what would have had to happen to prevent it from getting here, but I feel like we're talking past each other. I think our bungled response and red tape and bureaucracy preventing more widespread testing is a problem. I don't think it holds a candle to what the Chinese unleashed on the world by their government actively punishing and threatening doctors who tried to warn people of the severity and caseload, or by continuing to fly people in and out of Italy and Iran for economic gain. The US has their own issues, I agree. I don't think it is interchangeable with the issues created by China as you seemed to say in your first reply to me.

I tend to agree.  I remember how China expressed their “strong displeasure” at countries implementing travel bans.  I can’t not believe they put pressure on WHO not to call a pandemic or call for travel bans.  Or at the very least his the situation so WHO didn’t do it.  Now the State media outlets are talking endlessly about how China was so successful in containing the virus and the rest of the world is in chaos and implement travel restrictions cheerfully on everyone and even spreading rumours that it actually started in the US.   And I remember those citizen journalists who were reporting on Twitter and were forcibly quarantined or disappeared and haven’t been heard from since.
I have nothing but respect for the Chinese people who suffered under this pretty bravely, Especially for the doctors and nurses but I’ll be honest I think the Chinese gov attitude really really stinks.  I hope it’s not racism to have an issue with the government of a country when you don’t have an issue with the individual people.  

while I’m not crazily impressed with the response here or in the US or in the UK I don’t think the level of cover up comes anywhere near close.  A bit of minimising in the hope it goes away maybe but not to the point of threatening doctors or journalists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My friend who lives in Italy just shared this on Facebook. These are her words. Please everyone, pay attention. This will affect us all in some way. Stay Home.

These are her words:

"STAY HOME no matter what your local officials tell you! this is not a local matter, no matter where you are. it’s a global pandemic.

this chilling video of a bergamo newspaper’s obituary column in lombardy, the hardest hit region in italy, shows the reality. on february 9 it was 1.5 pages long. on march 13, 10 pages.

and the mother of the mayor in a neighboring municipality just died this morning as well.

i’m not trying to scare you or throw you into a panic. the italians are not panicking. i am just urging you to be prepared and to remain proactive.

and to STAY HOME."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Maryland pretty much shut down this morning.  I don't know if anyone posted this already, but they've closed all non-essential businesses.  Schools were already closed.  What other states have done this?  (Maybe this needs to be it's own thread, but we have SOOO many running.)

Monday morning #Updates to Baltimore County and Maryland’s response to the #Coronavirus:

-Gatherings of 50+ people will be prohibited beginning Wednesday. This includes recreation, religious, and sports gatherings.

- All evictions in the state are suspended for as long as the county and state are under a state of emergency

- Utilities, including electric, gas, water, Cable/TV/Internet providers, and cell phone providers are prohibited from disconnecting service during state of emergency and may not charge late fees.

- All bars, restaurants, movie theaters, and gyms are to close by 5pm today (Monday, March 16). Carry out, drive-thru, and delivery services may remain open, but sit-down dining will be prohibited.

- Grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, gas stations and other essential services will remain open.

- Students who normally receive free or reduced-fee school lunches may now receive 3 meals and a snack each day from one of 138 centers currently operating.

- Beginning today, all Baltimore County Public Library locations will be closed through March 29. All programs are canceled through May 3.

- Maryland officials are in talks on how to hold a mail-in only election for the April 28 primary, should it become necessary.

- All jury trials in the Maryland state court system will be suspended beginning March 16 until at least Friday, April 3.

- All federal court jury trials through April 24 are postponed.

- The state’s Health Benefits Exchange is beginning a special enrollment period, specifically for the coronavirus.

-250 State Troopers activated for emergency service, along with 400 Army and Air National Guard already activated, 1000 more MD National Guard activated today. 1200 Maryland guardsmen on enhanced readiness status ready to respond.

- Maryland Department of Health ordered to open all closed hospitals to increase the number of beds for 6,000 patients. 700 Maryland Medical Reservists activated to provide care. Any out of state medical professionals can now practice in Maryland to assist with medical care.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you have flu like symptoms: cough, fever over 100.4, respiratory distress: YOU MUST STAY HOME ! Call your doctor for guidance. 9,000 hospital beds available now with 6,000 being added for acute care.

- Students who normally receive free or reduced-fee school lunches may now receive 3 meals and a snack each day from one of 138 centers currently operating.

With a lot of their parents out of work now they ought to just make it available to all students.

• Like 2