Menu

What's with the ads?

Thatboyofmine

The Happiness Thread

Do y’all mind if I start a happiness thread?  My mental health is on a sharp decline because of current events.  Can we have a thread where we just share something good we’ve read or a fun movie we watched?   Or maybe we can share cute pics or fun happenings in our lives?   Whatever makes your heart happy?  
I’ll go first and share a couple of recent pics of my babies...

D90869CE-1848-465D-A0B7-B12F4D8CC0F0.jpeg

C729C6DE-2361-4EFB-9148-068640A72BAF.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Well, I don't have a cute pic of it, but I just picked up our tax return from the accountant and we got a refund when we weren't expecting one! That made me pretty darn happy. 🙂

Also it is a stunningly gorgeous day in Texas and we are beginning our Spring Break. Definitely rejoicing in the beauty of the day. They don't get more perfect than this around here. 

And your babies are adorable. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I have booked a return trip to Curacao for dh and I in May. So happy about that. 

Also. Both dh and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Why Women Kill miniseries on CBS.  Its not serious depressing! It’s a fun ride.

The weather is warming up this week and I’m thrilled bc I despise cold weather.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 13

What a great idea!  This is exactly what I do when I get down.  I am mostly happy right now because I feel like I've gotten my groove back with homeschooling after a many year slump.  I feel a lot of the philosophical interest and motivation that I felt in early days.  Things are really in a groove and I don't feel as stretched (I had years of nonreader through high school level teaching.  Now I just have 2 in high school and an upper elementary level reader.)  My kids have friends and are all managing the anxiety our family struggles with well. We are in a sweet spot.

I will try to think up something funny, though, to encourage others and make you all smile!  But maybe this happiness will give someone hope.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, freesia said:

What a great idea!  This is exactly what I do when I get down.  I am mostly happy right now because I feel like I've gotten my groove back with homeschooling after a many year slump.  I feel a lot of the philosophical interest and motivation that I felt in early days.  Things are really in a groove and I don't feel as stretched (I had years of nonreader through high school level teaching.  Now I just have 2 in high school and an upper elementary level reader.)  My kids have friends and are all managing the anxiety our family struggles with well. We are in a sweet spot.

I will try to think up something funny, though, to encourage others and make you all smile!  But maybe this happiness will give someone hope.

That's awesome. Gives me hope for when the inevitable slump comes. 

• Like 5

Here are pics of a few of my babies. Aussie puppies Lupo and Tigerlily (big sister Winry the foxhound is in the background) and my horse Nik.❤️

F96E8684-D357-4B6D-825E-67CAE94E05CD.jpeg

1E7F5D57-CEE4-4507-AA79-31EE3C4FB23B.jpeg

5D48A273-A9BF-4564-8FD0-ACD211540B0D.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I love this!
Here are my kitties. They keep us entertained with their morning escapades in the dishwasher and melt our hearts snuggling together in the evening. 😻 . Sorry for the awful quality and idk why they are horizontal! 

12617F43-0B2D-4A3C-A252-CDA88A7B8B83.jpeg

1B12B080-57DB-4BE0-9EF8-798D4695B9A9.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

@Murphy101 curaçao?  That’s an island I don’t hear much about!   What are y’all planning to do there?  

@Selkie Nik is majestic!!  

@MEmama I’m ready to head back to your area again.  We went last year and loved it so much that I find myself searching Zillow every now and then. 😱

its a beautiful sunny day here, too!  And we’ve had lots of rain recently so here’s hoping my plants will start to grow!

love the kittens and pups!😍🥰😍

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

@Murphy101 curaçao?  That’s an island I don’t hear much about!   What are y’all planning to do there?  

@MEmama I’m ready to head back to your area again.  We went last year and loved it so much that I find myself searching Zillow every now and then. 😱

its a beautiful sunny day here, too!  And we’ve had lots of rain recently so here’s hoping my plants will start to grow!

Feel free to PM if you have any questions! 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Amazing beaches everywhere you turn and great food.  It’s a wonderful place. I’m going to snorkel my butt off every day. And bc I’m bring dh, who has the bad taste to not like being on beaches, I’ll probably do a tour and night life fun with him in the last afternoon and evenings. 

• Like 5

We actually had at least three days of sunshine this week. Today was not one of them but it's Friday! Yay for two days off from Latin!  LOL.  

Last night I heard my two boys talking and laughing after lights out and it was a blessing to hear that.  To have an almost 13 year old and 14.5 year old (opposites, really) get along and be friends together is a true blessing. 

• Like 17

45 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I love this!
Here are my kitties. They keep us entertained with their morning escapades in the dishwasher and melt our hearts snuggling together in the evening. 😻 . Sorry for the awful quality and idk why they are horizontal! 

12617F43-0B2D-4A3C-A252-CDA88A7B8B83.jpeg

1B12B080-57DB-4BE0-9EF8-798D4695B9A9.jpeg

Glad to know it's not just my cat who is constantly trying to get in the dishwasher! And the dryer- I think he has a death wish. Or perhaps he was in appliance design in a former life......

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Glad to know it's not just my cat who is constantly trying to get in the dishwasher! And the dryer- I think he has a death wish. Or perhaps he was in appliance design in a former life......

My pup likes to chew on the door when I have it opened.

• Like 1

Maybe this will make you laugh?

Neil Diamond: Hands
CDC: Yes, wash them for at least 20 seconds
Neil Diamond: Touching hands
CDC: No, please don’t touch hands
Neil Diamond: Reaching out
CDC: Avoid that too
Neil Diamond: Touching me
CDC: Oh hell
Neil Diamond: TOUCHING YOU
CDC: We’re doomed

Neil Diamond: Sweet Caroline!

CDC: Baa Baa Baa!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

366BAD0F-50DB-415F-84C0-73BEE4F5AE5B.thumb.jpeg.7b0920f1bf4d915b24e7b3032ad5fa7b.jpegFrom a hike last week, it was so cold, but we all really enjoyed it.B36BC14F-57D6-44FF-B9C8-1167AA11DD73.thumb.jpeg.abe1287546c433aac4176c607c9fbc86.jpegSound asleep during a read aloud earlier this week. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We need a puppy pic update. 

Your wish is my command 

EC269726-2206-4D45-B4A0-6531A2D0AD10.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We need a melting heart like. 🥰

She is chewing on her foot because I won't let her chew on me.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Today is sunny!

We get to move back into our house on Monday, after two weeks on a hotel. 

• Like 17

47 minutes ago, cintinative said:

We actually had at least three days of sunshine this week. Today was not one of them but it's Friday! Yay for two days off from Latin!  LOL.  

Last night I heard my two boys talking and laughing after lights out and it was a blessing to hear that.  To have an almost 13 year old and 14.5 year old (opposites, really) get along and be friends together is a true blessing. 

My DS15 was working on an essay and called DS13 into the office. They sat there for an hour or more and talked while DS15 typed. I was sceptical about how much work was actually getting done, but decided it was worth it to hear them chat.

• Like 13

The good- 

I am feeling more connected to ds than I have in a good while, it seems that his hormonal grumpyness has calmed considerably. He's really showing some maturity, just earned a black belt, is going for his final Eagle Board of Review next week, and is doing well in school.

Dd1 is also doing much better in the hormonal mood swings(for awhile I swear she was grumpy 24/7- we are down to 25-50% maybe, major progress 🙂 )

DD3 is feeling better after some health issues.

Dh started a new position and received a substantial raise last month.

• Like 21

The good:  We have a new furnace and it has AC for the first time!  And it's working well and really easy to use!  

(The bad:  We did not have this in our budget.  But we will manage.)

• Like 16

Both my children are doing well after some rocky patches. We think we've managed to sell our house and buy a new one. My employment is stable. Our aged dog is fit.

• Like 23

We are in a relatively good phase right now. Oldest DS, who was having some scary health/mental health issues around Thanksgiving/Christmas/January, is doing really well now. He's in treatment, his doctor is reducing his meds down to just one med, and is doing really well. 

It is gloriously sunny here, too, and truly lovely, and heading into Spring Break. Yay! We have a few small mini-things planned which should be fun. 

I am 28 small blocks away from having all the blocks done for a new quilt top, and then will just need to assemble; I should have it done this weekend and then can work on quilting it. Yay! It's a lap quilt for my oldest son. 

DH is on his way home early from work, which is a nice treat on a Friday. 

DS is feeling well enough (same oldest DS) that we can go (all of us) visit my in-laws tomorrow for lunch and such; should be good. He also is ready to try going to church, which is huge. 

The store had some good avocados last time I was there, so I'm about to enjoy a snack of Triscuits, swiss cheese, and avocado slices. YUM. 

The house next door (on one side) sold, and I met the new neighbor (or one of them), and he seems nice, which is a relief.  Friendly & polite. 

I'll have to find some cute pics of my fur babies to share.... 

• Like 16

Here are a couple of my fur babies -- the 2 kitties normally don't get along, thus the *two* pics of them together, so shocking! The small, fluffy one is supposed to be part Maine Coon. Ha. 

The mutts are good friends (and I am still looking for one of the Maine Coon and the black/white dog playing together...it's hilarious!). The brindle came home with us from Brazil; he was a rescue off the streets (well, his mom had her puppies at DH's place of employment there; one employee adopted momma dog, a few took various puppies, we took the last 4 to find homes for them and kept him). The black/white is a shelter pup that my in-laws adopted and then couldn't handle; we "puppy sat" about 18 months ago and she's been here ever since.....

(both kitties are shelter kitties, too; the black kitty was in the shelter for 6 months before we got her....).

They are: Heidi (short for Guzundheit), the Maine Coon kitty, almost 2

Shado, the black kitty, 6 yrs old (5 yrs old? I forget)

Setimo (Sete) (Portuguese for 7/7th), the brindle pup (about to turn 8 yrs old)

Rosie, the black/white, 2 or 3 (I forget....)

kitties fabric cropped.jpg

kitties window cropped.jpg

puppies cropped.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

I’m off my 3 weeks of prednisone🎉 DH and I are going to see DD and SIL in San Diego. The price of our rental car has dropped around $100. We’ve had a mild winter in NOVA and I’m especially thankful for that🌺

• Like 15

I just had my pondless waterfall installed last week.  I'm so happy... and my grandson loves it.  Can't wait till it's warm enough for the sprinkler and bathing suits this summer.

20200304_112051.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

This thread was a brilliant idea!  Thank you.  @Thatboyofmine.  I hope you are okay.  Lots of hugs and good wishes.

We are just rolling along over here.  School break is right around the corner and we are both ready.    It was finally mostly sunny here after lots of rain.  It has been such a rainy gloomy winter, the sun was very much appreciated.   Seeing all the adorable pet pictures on this thread is so much fun!

Edit:  @Thatboyofmine.  The dogs sleeping on cots is beyond adorable! 

Edited by peacelovehomeschooling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Can I share something my daughter said to me that really made me feel the warm fuzzies? 

As you know, we went on a trip through Europe for 2.5 weeks. We do get along well, but I was worried that she would be “over it” by the end of all that togetherness, IYKWIM. Just, you know, a little worried that a 22yo might start to be a little bummed she wasn’t traveling with someone younger and more exciting. We watched numerous episodes of Grace and Frankie in the evenings, usually eating food we picked up at a grocery store and drinking famous German Riesling or Apfelwein. 

Once I was back home and a few days had passed, she sent me a crying emoji and a text that said, “Grace and Frankie just isn’t the same without you.” Awww! She likes me! She enjoyed my company! It made my week. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

New pictures will come!

Edited by Pen
Running out of photo space allowed
  • Like 15

My dog needs to be next to the baby whenever possible. She sleeps on the floor next to the cosleeper nightly.

IMG_20200220_123017704.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

(With names redacted for privacy, but still please don’t quote the phot of letter as I’ll delete in awhile.)

My son had a really, really, really rough time in the early part of this school year at local public school.  He was acting out, refusing to do his schoolwork, or doing it but not turning it in.  Had gotten in with some bad influence kids and was being one himself.  He Seemed poised on edge of a bad precipice.  I had to keep reminding myself that he wasn’t necessarily headed for life under a bridge or worse. 

I Dutifully went after anything I could think of that might help get him turned around. 

Late last semester he did seem to start turning around.  

lI was very moved -like literally to tears- to get this unexpected letter, signed by my son’s teachers and principal in honor of the recent dramatic turn around. 

I want to frame the original!

Edited by Pen
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pen said:

The Totally Unscientific Study of the Search for Human Happiness

This book is mostly pretty funny, and also has some serious good messages along the way . 5 thumbs up.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Pen said:

Happiness Is a Choice

This book has really helped me not get so down from whatever life brings.  I relisten when I need a reminder.    5 stars.   

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

My dog needs to be next to the baby whenever possible. She sleeps on the floor next to the cosleeper nightly.

Aww! How sweet!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Quill said:

Can I share something my daughter said to me that really made me feel the warm fuzzies? 

As you know, we went on a trip through Europe for 2.5 weeks. We do get along well, but I was worried that she would be “over it” by the end of all that togetherness, IYKWIM. Just, you know, a little worried that a 22yo might start to be a little bummed she wasn’t traveling with someone younger and more exciting. We watched numerous episodes of Grace and Frankie in the evenings, usually eating food we picked up at a grocery store and drinking famous German Riesling or Apfelwein. 

Once I was back home and a few days had passed, she sent me a crying emoji and a text that said, “Grace and Frankie just isn’t the same without you.” Awww! She likes me! She enjoyed my company! It made my week. 

Awww!!! Sweetness at the young adult end too!!!

I think a comment like that might make my month or two!!! 

• Like 3

Love seeing all the puppies and other happiness!!!  Good vibes are always welcome around here.

4BD55D0F-B3B1-420E-BD00-33CA8715EC84.jpeg

Edited by Hadley
  • Like 17

I have a huge smile on my face!  Thanks for making me smile so much today!  We really need a ‘heart’ button!   Your babies, grand babies, & and furry babies are all perfect!  I’m so glad some of y’all seem to be getting some of our sunshine as well!   It makes everything seems more bearable!   Keep adding when something warms your heart!  I think we could all use a happiness break!  💗💗💗

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Well, great. Now I want another baby!  Seriously, this is about the sweetest thing on earth. ❤️ 🥰

• Like 6

I don't have a dog, but I have a 5 year old.  This morning he was cuddling in bed with me when DH's alarm went off.  He immediately rolled over the top of me and squished into the small of my back.  

Me: What are you doing?

Him:  I'm hiding because the bomb is going off!  

That's about how I feel, too, when my alarm goes off!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 13
  • Confused 1

DH was gone a couple nights this past week, and when we were driving home one evening DS17 noticed that our old country lane had a big pothole/dip in the middle and so even though it was 9pm and dark, he said he was going to go out and fill it in with dirt and while I put the baby to bed, he did it! This is the same kid who needed to be reminded for y.e.a.r.s. to complete basic chores that he did every single day.

Seeing him recognize something that needed to be done without being told and having the gumption to go do it - in other words, become a responsible man of the house - makes me happy ❤

Edited by Momto6inIN
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

I've much to be happy about, but right now, I'm happy I finally donated a bunch of stuff and I'm happy my daughters still talk to me.  (Not necessarily in that order.)

• Like 10