Menu

40s and 50s/60s and 70s and desire for TeA in women

Ginevra

8 hours ago, Quill said:

God. Now I can finish this one more chapter of my riveting book in peace. 

Ha!!! I thought it was just me!

To be fair, I'd rather read a book than pretty much ANYTHING, so there's that, lol. But I hear you. 

I do know that my libido is directly connected to my amount of sleep and my stress level. The more sleep and the less stress the higher my interest. Unfotunately, I'm in a stage of life where I am sleeping too little and way too stressed. And one way I deal with stress is to read, and then I stay up too late reading, and then I'm too tired, etc. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, regentrude said:

I brought the topic up with my GYN, and she said there aren't really any meds that have the desired effect.

When I wasn't nursing a baby I was offered testosterone. actually, first was DHEA, and if that ddidn't work we'd do testosterone. When I'm done nursing this little one I'm going to go back on the DHEA and see if it helps. 

6 hours ago, Selkie said:

I listened to a podcast that touched on this topic awhile back. Women (of all ages) who have higher testosterone have more interest in TeA than women with lower amounts. Testosterone dwindles with age, so it makes sense that desire for TeA would dwindle, too.

Yup. 

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

I hadn't answered with my own cravings, because....private. But, I'm mid-40s, in perimenopause, and my cravings are still good. Certainly multiple times a week, and I can't imagine it declining. While I think things may perhaps slow down, this whole "I never really want it, don't think I'd seek it out ever..." baffles me as much as the reverse seems to baffle those in that camp. 

ETA: and, honestly, at 33, DH and I weren't in a great spot and my cravings now are more than then. For me it's very relational in conjunction with the physical. 

I think there are more factors than age, definitely. I'm still nursing my toddler, get way too little sleep, coming out of my yearly SAD ordeal, etc. I can totally see if one had all kids early, and had more time alone and was less touched out in their 40's it would be higher than when kids were little. 

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Yeah, what baffles me the most is the 'not seeking it out again if I could' camp. I certainly imagine that craving frequency will decline at some point but for that desire to just vanish seems so odd.

It kind of is odd, lol. It's like losing your desire for a formerly favorite food. 

And my drive first tanked shortly after I had bariatric surgery - I think it was the hormonal shift. That's when I went on DHEA, but then I got pregnant and went off, and haven't been on since. Now the main difference is if I actually get enough sleep. Which I don't. 

When I'm ready to scream because kids have been talking to me 24/7 and climbing on me and I've changed poopy diapers and cleaned the litter box and given the old dog his pills and cleaned up the cat puke and the laundry is piled up and I haven't spoken to an adult all day or had two minutes to just think, I'm not going to want to take the hour I have to myself and spend it touching and working to please another person. I don't have it in me. 

Also, DH and I get too little time together, which also effects it. We are trying to fix that with him maybe shifting from his teaching job to a consulting gig, dropping some outside obligations, etc. But yeah. Let me read my book, or sleep. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

I guess it's odd till it's not. 

Yeah, that makes sense.

And I want to clarify that when I say odd I don't mean that is sounds abnormal to me. I completely realize that everyone's desires are different and change for a variety of reasons. So the odd statement is more my feelings about it rather than it actually being an abnormal thing to happen.

• Like 3

@Ktgrok I'm the opposite. If I've had that day that you describe at the end of you long post I'm more likely to seek out dh. The hormone release from it mellows me in a way that makes the stress of that long hard day go away. Plus the closeness factor of cuddling and chatting after fills my other emotional needs.

Just goes to show how different everyone is

• Like 2

I think it varies a lot I had a grandma who openly admitted 3x a week was her minimum and was basically asking for conjugals while in hospice at 80+.  While plenty of people I know are done what menopause hits.  Hormones, health, stress, medication all play a part.  I have a very high sex drive and can't imagine just being over it or done.  I can definitely see being in the market for toys at an older age I mean they make TeA brewing so easy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I think there are more factors than age, definitely. I'm still nursing my toddler, get way too little sleep, coming out of my yearly SAD ordeal, etc. I can totally see if one had all kids early, and had more time alone and was less touched out in their 40's it would be higher than when kids were little. 

Oh, yes, definitely this too. We married/had kids young. So, I'm mid 40s, but my youngest just turned 15. (well, and I won't actually be 45 until later this year). And two of ours are in the process of launching. And now we have a 2-story house, with our bedroom downstairs and all the other bedrooms, and all the kid hang out spaces, all upstairs. So it's easy to have alone time, w/o fear of interruption. We're sleeping through the night. No one's nursing, no one's coming in our room to sleep in the middle of the night, and no one's really going to hear us if we make any noise. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Oh, yes, definitely this too. We married/had kids young. So, I'm mid 40s, but my youngest just turned 15. (well, and I won't actually be 45 until later this year). And two of ours are in the process of launching. And now we have a 2-story house, with our bedroom downstairs and all the other bedrooms, and all the kid hang out spaces, all upstairs. So it's easy to have alone time, w/o fear of interruption. We're sleeping through the night. No one's nursing, no one's coming in our room to sleep in the middle of the night, and no one's really going to hear us if we make any noise. 

So...take the exact opposite of all of that, and you have us, lol. Thin walls, kids that wake up during the night, a coonhound mix that wants out during the night, nursing, etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, leahtalbot96 said:

I'm in my early 20s and I cannot stand tea at all. I prefer water or the occasional cup of wine at weekends seriously! 

LOL -  This was so cute!!

You might want to read the thread before responding.   Obviously we are not talking about the beverage.  😁😏

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, regentrude said:

I brought the topic up with my GYN, and she said there aren't really any meds that have the desired effect.

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

Which for me was unhelpful, because doc flat out said there isn't anything she can prescribe.

ahem 

*puts on best commercial voice-over tone* 

Ask your doctor about Welbutrin . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

Valid. I just wanted to point out that there is indeed a medication to try. 

an antidepressant (whose neurological function isn't fully understood) seems to me a strange thing to throw at low libido. How exactly is it supposed to work?
I can understand how a hormonal imbalance could contribute, and how that could be corrected - but antidepressants for a non depressed person to increase drive??

I'd be interested in hearing about the supposed mechanism. My gyn denied that medications exist that actually help.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, regentrude said:

an antidepressant (whose neurological function isn't fully understood) seems to me a strange thing to throw at low libido. How exactly is it supposed to work?
I can understand how a hormonal imbalance could contribute, and how that could be corrected - but antidepressants for a non depressed person to increase drive??

Honestly, I have no idea how it works. It wasn't an intended effect, but, iirc, people started reporting it to their doctors and discussing it on forums and eventually studies were done that confirmed enhanced libido in a significant number of women. I think it's still an off-label use and usually prescribed for 'symptoms of menopause' if the person does not need it as an antidpressant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jumping into the fray here:
When I was in my mid-30s I had a traumatic experience that required me to take anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medication to be functional through my daily existence.  It knocked me out; my mood stabilized, but my personality was gone including my libido.  After taking them for two years, I no longer needed them (the traumatic situation had ended) and I stopped taking them.  It took me another five years to find myself again.  I hadn't realized I was gone, but during that time DH and I grew way, way apart and had basically no relationship.  A couple of years ago I felt like I suddenly woke up from a deep sleep, and spent a lot of time working with DH to get our relationship back.  Along with many aspects of my personality, my libido also returned stronger than ever.  DH struggled to keep up at first, and now we've come to a compromise in order to both have our needs met.

But I have also found that when my endorphin level is low I feel sort of numb, and my libido is very low.  A good boiling cuppa raises endorphin levels, and having some TeA leads to wanting more TeA. 

I will be 49 in a few months.  I can't imagine returning to the place of wanting no TeA; that thought depresses me.  I won't say it can't happen, because it did happen.  I'm just glad to be me again, and enjoying TeA with DH.  I know many online acquaintances on another forum who are women in their 50s and 60s with healthy strong libidos.  I'm hoping that'll be me in a few years and beyond.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I find this fascinating and kind of a sad look into my future( I'm only 33.) But can I ask what people's desires were when they were still craving it? Because I know people in my age group who only crave it once or twice a month or people who don't ever really crave it but know that once they get started because their partner wants it they'll enjoy it thorough. I can completely envision them have no interest at a certain point.

But what about people who crave it daily or multiple times a week? I'm currently a little over two weeks out from my csection and the inability to brew a cup is really getting to me. I would brew in a heartbeat if I weren't still healing. And dh certainly isn't pushing it or even showing signs of missing it.

Being a decade ahead of you, I can say that I still very much enjoy a rolling boil or a slow steep, read into the euphemisms what you will. It bothers me to think that one day I might lose interest! Even worse, I have a very understanding DH who probably won’t even say a word. Life can get busy though, and I am perfectly okay with setting a day and time in my head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Honestly, I have no idea how it works. It wasn't an intended effect, but, iirc, people started reporting it to their doctors and discussing it on forums and eventually studies were done that confirmed enhanced libido in a significant number of women. I think it's still an off-label use and usually prescribed for 'symptoms of menopause' if the person does not need it as an antidpressant. 

Interesting. I recently (reluctantly) started taking it (I'd have to look, but I think 6 weeks or so) and while I've noticed the anti-depressant effect (which was what I needed), I've not noticed any increased libido. I wonder if it's an actual effect, or sometimes simply a result of feeling better.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

.... A good boiling cuppa raises endorphin levels, and having some TeA leads to wanting more TeA. 

You know, I have heard/read this more than once. While I am sure that is true for some, I have not (since my taste for TeA has diminished) found it to be true. I'm happy that dh is happy, and that in itself is motivating, but it doesn't lead to me actually wanting more. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

You know, I have heard/read this more than once. While I am sure that is true for some, I have not (since my taste for TeA has diminished) found it to be true. I'm happy that dh is happy, and that in itself is motivating, but it doesn't lead to me actually wanting more. 

Same. 

We’re pretty much on a schedule, which is necessary because if it were just left up to someone to initiate, he would get tired of being spurned and if it were up to me, a lot of weeks would go by without any brewing going on. 

• Like 5

I think it is a wide spectrum. I know couples in their 70/80s who still enjoy tea. I know couples in their 30s where the wife acts like it’s a huge burdensome chore. 

What I dislike on tv is that everyone is portrayed as horndogs. Let’s just get layed attitude.

While I’m sure there are plenty of people of all ages like that, I find that for most of the 50+ crowd of either sex, tea isn’t just about tea.  It’s about connection and companionship.  While they might yak about how nice it is to have the kids gone and reclaim their own life, they also privately share that they are often lonely and feel isolated.

As for me? At later 40s, I have great and thriving frequent tea. I don’t expect that to end anytime soon and I’d be disappointed if it did.  Husband hopes to die after a quality brewing and a nice snuggle afterwards, so apparently I shouldn’t worry for now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jentrovert said:

Interesting. I recently (reluctantly) started taking it (I'd have to look, but I think 6 weeks or so) and while I've noticed the anti-depressant effect (which was what I needed), I've not noticed any increased libido. I wonder if it's an actual effect, or sometimes simply a result of feeling better.

I was wondering the same. I can see how depression would kill libido, and an improvement in depression could make a person want more tea.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

I'd be interested in hearing about the supposed mechanism. My gyn denied that medications exist that actually help.

Wellbutrin is different than most antidepressants, it effects dopamine rather than serotonin.  Which means it has all sorts of interesting effects.  It can increase drive in some, do the opposite in others.  It causes extremely vivid dreams.  It means things driven by dopamine are less interesting - so addictions aren't as rewarding.  It can even reduce headaches for some, and the headaches are on the serotonin pathway so no one really knows how it works (at least the last time I looked it up, about 10 years ago).

I'd forgotten how much my drive was reduced by breastfeeding until I read this thread.  I go from fairly high desire (almost daily) to NO interest AT ALL when I am nursing.  Nope, no interest.  Poor DH.

• Like 4

I think fluctuations are normal.  

48 here, and a happy TeA drinker.  I wasn’t always, a lot of my 30s were lost to a disease and medication that made me ill.  We had a few deserts.  DH was awesome, whatever I needed.  But I had a pretty good thirst pre-illness, and with my health it came back. Fertility was never a thing for me, I had a hysterectomy in my 20s, before I even wanted kids.  Hormones, yes, but not a specific baby-drive.

I find that when I exercise regularly and eat healthy, I’m more interested, so still fluctuate a bit, if I get out of my routine or sick.  But mostly I’m a regular TeA brewer, and I’m good with those fancy hot water appliances, or not. And if it’s something I’m not into, no judgment from me.  I think there’s a market for more than one might think!

I hope not to have a return to TeA desert, personally.  I like the connection with DH, and the fun.  I still read my books, just stay up way later than I should to do so!  I can’t answer what I’d do if something happened - I don’t like contemplating that, and frankly can’t imagine wanting a different TeA party partner.

I think it’s all in the realm of normal, and as long as everyone is happy - it’s all good.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

I wonder if it's an actual effect, or sometimes simply a result of feeling better.

If that were true, you wouldn't have a noticeable number of people spontaneously commenting on it about Welbutrin and only Welbutrin.  Plus, it is also prescribed to help people stop smoking (so a substantial number of people who are not taking it for antidepressant purposes). 

Another unplanned effect is that it causes weight loss in some people. It has, like, the two best unintended consequences ever, lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

There was a TEA shirt that floated around for awhile.  Very clever.  Does anyone have a link?

I remember there was a shirt that said something like, 

“Homeschool Dad: enjoying tea with my wife while looking through her books.” Or something like that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Lol ya'll must brew a quieter cup of TeA for this to work.  

Thin walls, poor soundproofing, and a teen son in the next room. So yes. 

For a while I was less worried about noise, because he usually is gaming with noise canceling headphones at that time of night - he wears the headphones and has a microphone so he can chat with his friends as they play. I was like, oh - headphones - he can't hear us. 

Only to later realize he couldn't, but with that microphone all his friends could!

so I'm very purposely very quiet now. 

• Haha 12

2 hours ago, Katy said:

I'd forgotten how much my drive was reduced by breastfeeding until I read this thread.  I go from fairly high desire (almost daily) to NO interest AT ALL when I am nursing.  Nope, no interest.  Poor DH.

I know, I feel so bad for him, these lovely full bouncy b00ks and I never let him read them lol

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

Sigh. Neither effect has kicked in yet for me. Just my luck. 😆

I had both, but I can't remember how long they took to kick in. Maybe a few more weeks! The weight loss was mild but noticeable, the other effect was . . . not mild 😄

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, regentrude said:

That's not exactly true. My doctor has me on bio-identical hormones (estrogen, progesterone and testosterone) and that has had some effect for me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KidsHappen said:

That's not exactly true. My doctor has me on bio-identical hormones (estrogen, progesterone and testosterone) and that has had some effect for me.

I just started for this exact reason. It's a cream I apply to my inner wrists/forearms. I've been on it for a few weeks now. Can't tell anything yet. 

How long did it take for you to feel a difference? The compounding pharmacist said give it up to 3 months. I tried Intrarosa first and it did nothing. 

All of you in your mid 40's and you've experienced a spike in desire for TeA...That was me, too. Couldn't get enough. And then almost overnight it vanished. I was post menopausal at 48.  😞

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well I notice that when I slightly increase or even have a large increase (40mg Prednisone), I have much more interest.  So yes, for me, it is the magic pill that helps my arthritis and my asthma too (as the charlatan medicines of old used to go.  

Overall, we were never in the high group of tea indulgers.  Only at the beginning, were we multi times per week.  Since then we were anywhere from 2 times a week to 2 times a month.  My interest increased as my diseases became better managed and weren't as troublesome.  Late peri-menopause was the worse for my health.  The hormonal stuff really affected my autoimmune health issues and we were rarely doing it.  With Menopause, our interest has partially depended on whether our children are living at home,  From May to early February, we had our youngest living in a bedroom next to us, sharing a common wall.   She has very good hearing and we do not.  That limited us to times she wasn't home or when we were travelling.   

• Like 1