Menu

Spelling for high school?

I'm considering spelling for my rising 9th and 7th graders. Both have been through several levels of Apples & Pears, but they're still inconsistent spellers. I don't know that we want a traditional spelling program at this stage , especially the 9th grader, though I'd love a 1-2 year intensive...if it existed. 

Has anyone ever just taken the Fry 1000 High-Frequency word list and just gone through it? I kind of feel that as long as they can spell these commonly used words, they can get by with everything else. Thoughts? Or would it be pointless with two undx dyslexics, and I should just go straight for assistive apps/software for them. I don't want to waste time if it's proven to not be helpful...

I'm a big fan of Spelling through Morphographs with my undx dyslexic (as well as my maybe-dyslexic middle).  My oldest went from only being able to spell phonetically-regular one syllable words to only making about one mistake per page spelling "in the wild".  There's a placement test, so you can see if they are too far beyond it.  I bought the necessary components used: teacher presentation book 1, teacher presentation book 2, and the student workbook

Alternately, you could do Touch, Type, Read, and Spell - teaches typing through an O-G progression and so reinforces spelling as well.  I've been doing that with both my oldest and middle girls the past two years.  I'm pretty impressed at what my oldest can spell now.

• Like 1

Mega Words or Word Roots would be my top choices.  I'm using Word Roots with my high schooler who still needs spelling help.  It's similar to the morphemes in that it uses roots to build similar words.  

I've also considered possibly levels 7 and 8 of Soaring with Spelling.  

• Like 1

I haven’t used apples and pears, but have you finished all the levels? If not, I’d finish out the program if you have found it useful. We used all about spelling, and I continued it to the end. I found it was very useful to continue working on spelling in junior high and even the early high school years. I don’t think it’s too late, especially for students with dyslexia. We made a lot of progress in those years. I would even say we made the most progress in those years. That’s when everything really starts to come together for the struggling speller, and I think too many people give up too soon on a subject that really affects kids going into college.

• Like 2