Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
happysmileylady

How would you pay this medical bill

Recommended Posts

On NYD, I went to the ER with a reaction to a medication received from a dentist for a wisdom tooth extraction on 12/31.  There are a few billing issues but I think at this point they are straightened out.  

The confusion I have now is paying this bill with our HSA.  We have had an HSA account for years and this would be covered under that.  BUT...on 2/1, DH's company switched the HSA provider.  They have undergone a whole benefits upheaval.  Overall it's gone ok, but I have posted before about issues I have had with the HR department and their knowledge of all of these sorts of processes.

Where we are at right now is that we have 2 HSA accounts, the old one and the new one.  Both accounts have enough to pay this bill in them.  However, we have received emails about a "black out period" while they process the transfer of all of the funds from the old account into the new one.  I am concerned about trying to pay with the new account and having the card rejected (even though it's "activated") because of this "black out" period.  But, I am concerned about paying with the OLD account and having that payment "cross in the mail" with the paperwork to switch over from the old account to the new. 

I suppose the other option is, pay with our savings (we have enough there too), then reimburse with the HSA funds once the dust settles on the transfer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about any of this (insert Canadian apology here) but wouldn’t part of the blackout period be to deal with outstanding items, and then at some point during that period, new items would be switched to come out of the new account? Like if my credit card is compromised and they send me a new one, any payments already en route are still applied to my account?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

I know nothing about any of this (insert Canadian apology here) but wouldn’t part of the blackout period be to deal with outstanding items, and then at some point during that period, new items would be switched to come out of the new account? Like if my credit card is compromised and they send me a new one, any payments already en route are still applied to my account?

Having received conflicting information......I am not sure.  I am actually going through all the emails DH has forwarded home now, and I am still not sure lol.  Maybe I just haven't hit that point yet.

(we haven't had a CC in over a decade, so I am not sure how CC companies work that stuff....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Having received conflicting information......I am not sure.  I am actually going through all the emails DH has forwarded home now, and I am still not sure lol.  Maybe I just haven't hit that point yet.

(we haven't had a CC in over a decade, so I am not sure how CC companies work that stuff....)

It sounds messy! I hope someone has btdt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I suppose the other option is, pay with our savings (we have enough there too), then reimburse with the HSA funds once the dust settles on the transfer?

This is how I always deal with HSA stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

It sounds messy! I hope someone has btdt!

It is messy.  This black out period, from what I am reading, its like 2 weeks long.  And even then, the completed transfer date that I am currently seeing in the emails is not until the end of March.  And, at this point, after many other issues, I don't know that asking his HR department for clarification is going to help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EKS said:

This is how I always deal with HSA stuff.

As I am posting and thinking more.............this really might be the best way to go.   It's all our money anyway and the money in savings isn't needed before we could get reimbursement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused by your statement that you have enough in both accounts. If so, pay with the new account and be done woth it. If you mean that you'll have enough transferred from the old account into the new one at the end of the transfer period, see below.

Are you in the blackout period already? If so, I'd call the medical provider and let them know that as of x date, you will pay the bill.

If you aren't in it yet, pay with the old account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I'm confused by your statement that you have enough in both accounts. If so, pay with the new account and be done woth it. If you mean that you'll have enough transferred from the old account into the new one at the end of the transfer period, see below.

Are you in the blackout period already? If so, I'd call the medical provider and let them know that as of x date, you will pay the bill.

If you aren't in it yet, pay with the old account.

Right now, I can't figure out if we are in the black out period on the new account or not.  I am still going through the emails.   There is conflicting information on the transfer time frame.  (And for the record, why on earth does it take like a whole MONTH to electronically transfer money from one electronic account to a new electronic account.  I mean I get that they are processing transfers for the whole company but, it's not like they are actually driving real paper dollars from one place to another.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is there enough in the new account now? Just pay with the new account.

The blackout period is when they are trying to get the payments that have already been sent to clear before transferring the balance.

It is usually two weeks, in my experience. Dh's company likes to change HSA providers so I've been through this a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband’s company had a habit of not immediately processing HSA contributions, so sometimes the money isn’t deposited until a week or two after payday.  So on occasion I’ll pay a doctors bill and learn there isn't enough in the hsa account. If there isn’t enough money, the amount that is available is deducted from the balance and then I can pay the rest with another method. In other words it seems to be an instantaneous process much like using a debit card. 
 

I’d just go online or call, and pay the bill from the new account. If you are in the blackout period, the payment will likely be rejected. Then pay with the other account. If you are sending in the payment for the bill then that is when I think things may get crossed up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...