Menu

Writing Research Papers

I am no better at deciding on a writing program for my second child than I was for my first!  DS is in 9th grade and finishing up Classical Academic Press' Writing and Rhetoric Thesis I.  We love the program; it has great teacher supports, brings a reluctant (but very capable) writer along slowly, and is just an all-around excellent program.  But Thesis II is not out yet and I am not sure where to go next year with writing.  I need to build on Thesis II, which means I need some writing program with great teacher supports, uncomplicated to administer, and preferably written to the student.  Most importantly, I need some suggestions for a next step curriculum that teaches how to compose a research paper with academic citations.  Teaching writing is my weakest link, and for my oldest I outsourced to the local college as soon as I could.  But I don't want to toss my 15 year old into university right yet.  I desperately am seeking suggestions for a writing program that will teach the research paper and citations, but that has step-by-step guidance for both of us.  I appreciate any suggestions you all might have.

A great resource that SWB recommends in her talk "Writing in the High School Years", is Schaum's Quick Guide to Writing Great Research Papers. It's very good and you can use it with any writing curriculum you decide to go with.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stlily said:

A great resource that SWB recommends in her talk "Writing in the High School Years", is Schaum's Quick Guide to Writing Great Research Papers. It's very good and you can use it with any writing curriculum you decide to go with.

Is this a step-by-step curriculum by itself, or do you use this in addition to your curriculum?

12 minutes ago, Reefgazer said:

Is this a step-by-step curriculum by itself, or do you use this in addition to your curriculum?

So, according to the recommendations in TWTM, a high school writing course should have 2 components: 1) Skills - Which includes formal grammar and word study, 2) Compositions - which includes the formal study of Rhetoric (this is done in the 9th and 10th grade only), Persuasive Papers across curriculum (History, Science, & Literature), and Research Papers (One in the 9th grade and one in the 10th). The Schaum's book only teaches how to write research papers. I would recommend using it to supplement whatever writing curriculum you choose to go with. Also, if you would like more details on what high school writing should look like, I highly recommend SWB's workshop on teaching high school writing: https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-high-school-years-mp3/. Hope this helps.

• Like 1