Menu

Foerster's Alg/Trig -- which chapters?

49 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Why not just go through them at the pace that works for your kid? I think setting the pace according to what's being absorbed is a good idea :-). 

This is a good point. However, my kid doesn't care for that. He hates when I set an amount of time he needs to work. He would rather know exactly how much he needs to do. Obviously, I will keep going over stuff he doesn't get, but he would prefer a set goal of knowing which chapters. 

1 minute ago, square_25 said:

Hmmmm, I also tend to set an amount of work. I just set different work depending on what was absorbed so far :-). Or is that still too unpredictable? 

It might be, or it might not. We may just need to see. 😉

He prefers to work independently and just ask for help as needed, and he is trustworthy to do that (moreso than many teens, I think), but he likes a very defined end goal so he can decide for himself whether he wants to do a full lesson or half on any given day. 

I used this text with my older son. We took 12 academic months to complete the entire textbook, but I only counted it as his algebra II credit. He took precalculus later (which repeated some of the trig). I'm pretty sure I wrote a review or two of this text back in the day, but those reviews are probably archived now. 

The word problems in this Foerster text are fantastic. I remember them with fondness. 🙂

If you want to complete the text in one school year (approximately 9 academic months), then I would try to do Chapters 1-12. The final three chapters are the trig chapters. The first 12 chapters would make a very full algebra II credit. You could also drop Chapter 12 if you run out of time. There are some optional sections within the chapters that you could probably skip, too. It's just a LOT of material for one school year!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MorningGlory said:

I used this text with my older son. We took 12 academic months to complete the entire textbook, but I only counted it as his algebra II credit. He took precalculus later (which repeated some of the trig). I'm pretty sure I wrote a review or two of this text back in the day, but those reviews are probably archived now. 

The word problems in this Foerster text are fantastic. I remember them with fondness. 🙂

If you want to complete the text in one school year (approximately 9 academic months), then I would try to do Chapters 1-12. The final three chapters are the trig chapters. The first 12 chapters would make a very full algebra II credit. You could also drop Chapter 12 if you run out of time. There are some optional sections within the chapters that you could probably skip, too. It's just a LOT of material for one school year!

Thank you!  That is super helpful!

• Like 1

A precalc course will usually teach trig from scratch unless it's an accelerated precalc + calc A course. It won't harm him to not have seen it before although some exposure is helpful. 

You used to be able to see the complete TOC on Pearson's website but it's not coming up in a quick search. I know I'd typed out before what I thought was essential but 😕

Kolbe Academy has lesson plans if you want to get through the book in a year.  The non-honors plans basically drop the trig chapters as best as I can tell,  My daughter isn’t the most consistent (her Latin and Greek consume much of her time) and she is taking two years to complete the whole book.  I think one year would be quite aggressive.  I do love the text and the word problems, although my daughter says the algebra/trig text has fewer puns (funny names) than the algebra 1 text.