Menu

Letters of Recommendation if you don't have outside academic classes?

maize

How do you handle letters of recommendation if a student doesn't have outside academic classes?

My oldest does lots of extracurriculars with outside teachers--theater, dance, martial arts--but at this point isn't taking any online or in person academic classes where a teacher could get to know her.

Just something I have been wondering about, she is in tenth grade this year so not urgent but maybe a planning priority.

Edited by maize

Many colleges will specify that they would like to see letters from non-family members that can speak to academic readiness. 

It might be worth looking for something for junior year to help meet this.

If not, look for letter writers who can address work habits, maturity, intellectual qualities, ability to work with peers, and independence.  

Some colleges don't care about recommendations, but others might not accept a student without such letters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Many colleges will specify that they would like to see letters from non-family members that can speak to academic readiness. 

It might be worth looking for something for junior year to help meet this.

If not, look for letter writers who can address work habits, maturity, intellectual qualities, ability to work with peers, and independence.  

Some colleges don't care about recommendations, but others might not accept a student without such letters.

Yeah, this is what I am wondering--do I need to get her into an in-person class of some kind? 

She could get a LoR that addresses maturity etc. from her martial arts coach/boss. She's become the favorite employee over there because she is super responsible and very good both at leading group classes and teaching private lessons.

2 hours ago, maize said:

Yeah, this is what I am wondering--do I need to get her into an in-person class of some kind? 

She could get a LoR that addresses maturity etc. from her martial arts coach/boss. She's become the favorite employee over there because she is super responsible and very good both at leading group classes and teaching private lessons.

Does she have colleges in mind yet? A couple schools my sons applied to didn't have an option for non-teacher letters through the Common App (they might have taken them by mail).

They did have some online teachers who wrote letters of recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Does she have colleges in mind yet? A couple schools my sons applied to didn't have an option for non-teacher letters through the Common App (they might have taken them by mail).

They did have some online teachers who wrote letters of recommendation. 

College options are pretty wide open at the moment. 

I'm in planning mode for next year and considering classes. 

She may be taking some online college classes but they are the kind where there is little interaction with an instructor so I don't see recommendations coming from there.

Edited by maize

It really comes down to the school. Only one of my kids has had to have recommendations from a teacher in specific subjects. One has just needed recommendations from someone who could discuss them in general (dd used Mrs. Denne, who was online, and her Francophone mentor, who was not a teacher).

My other kids have not needed recommendations, even for honors college apps.

• Like 1

My oldest didn't have any academic ones and he got into a really good CS program. He had one from an employer and one from an extracurricular mom/leader. Even for his National Merit finalist paperwork which specified an academic letter we just had his debate coach write one and it was fine and it all went through without a hitch.

Edited by Momto6inIN
  • Like 2

My ds had to have a math recommendation, and had never taken a math class. So we used his team leader for his international competitions.  This person had never taught my son math, but was able to speak to his maturity, drive, and ability to handle pressure.  This person was also only 23 and had only just graduated from university himself.  He asked for a list of what he might write about, and we gave him at least 10 talking points, figuring he would pick the 5 he felt best able to discuss. 

• Like 1

Yes I agree with the PPs. Don’t let her take a class just to get a recommendation letter. You never know how that will turn out. Since she will be taking online classes, you can make sure she attends their office hours if available and she can communicate with her instructors during the term so they know her. My dd took a dual enrollment online math class at a college and the professor wrote most of her math recommendation letters. He just wrote one for her last month for a scholarship and she took the class 3 years ago. She made sure to communicate with him during the class and before the end of the semester, she asked if he will write recommendation letters for the summer camps she wanted to attend and it went from there. 

• Like 1

I'd try to find some way/class/interest for her to take an in-person class. It isn't always for college applications - some scholarships/honors programs/etc also want letters of recommendation.

If not a class, then make sure she has other options - job, regular volunteer service, Bible class teacher, local high school/college math teacher who tutors her (or English or Science or foreign language or whatever). 

And once they get in college, encourage them to get to know as many of their professors as possible. The possible need for letters of recommendations (additional scholarships, grants, etc) shows up again. 

• Like 1