Menu

What's with the ads?

Mom0012

DH with Allergies - please help if you can

6 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

It’s not a bad idea. He’s used one before, just never consistently. I think he’s too tired and rushed to use it in the morning (he gets up for work at 4:30 am) and then I am usually at work when he goes to sleep in the evening. It’s really a matter of finding a consistent time  for me to remind him to use it. I’m averse to greeting him from work with a netipot in my hand, lol.

I'd be so happy if someone greeted me with a prepared neti pot!  It's such a hassle to boil the water, then wait for it to cool to body temp!  🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mom0012 said:

The Zyrtec is really knocking him out at night. My thought was to try cutting it in half after a couple of weeks. Or to find something to rotate it with. It can never just be simple, can it? I will check out your link.

Have him try taking the Zyrtec at different times in the day this weekend. Different people will react/metabolize drugs at a somewhat different rate, so he may actually have less of that antihistiamine "hang over" if he takes it at a different point in the day. He just needs to play around with it for a bit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Have him try taking the Zyrtec at different times in the day this weekend. Different people will react/metabolize drugs at a somewhat different rate, so he may actually have less of that antihistiamine "hang over" if he takes it at a different point in the day. He just needs to play around with it for a bit. 

Have you been able to take Zyrtec long term without an issue? I know everyone is different, but I’m wondering if I should try to rotate it with something else?

1 hour ago, Mom0012 said:

Have you been able to take Zyrtec long term without an issue? I know everyone is different, but I’m wondering if I should try to rotate it with something else?

When I took only Zyrtec for a long period of time (say six months) a couple of years ago, I definitely had a weird couple of day withdrawal of sorts when I dropped it cold turkey, where I got super itchy for a bit- my skin felt crawly and itchy- in much the same way codeine makes me feel. It was a weird couple of days. I think I even posted about it here. It passed quickly though and I had no issues after getting past that. 

Since using the Azalastine (Astapro) as my mainline treatment though, I have had zero issue going on and off Zyrtec as needed. I usually drop the Zyrtec first when the pollen count drops, and am more typically on the Azalastine maybe 9 months of the year altogether, where as the Zyrtec I tend to be more sporadic, and it's no where near that amount of the year. Now I do use the Azelastine twice a day when counts are high here, so that is different than how your dh is taking it...... I live in Southern Texas where things are perpetually in some sort of bloom so the pollen counts here come fast and hard. Anyway, I think staying on the Azalastine a few more days when dropping the Zyrtec helps taper down for me, so I've never had the withdrawal issue again. I have yet to have had a problem dropping the Azelastine either as far as withdrawal symptoms. 

But someone up thread mentioned that when you hit into a full out severe allergic reaction or response, it can take quite some time to tamp the body's response down, so the fact that he is responding so quickly to the Astapro + Zyrtec alone bodes well for him. Especially only taking the Astapro once a day. He has room to up dosages as needed, and has more options available for layering if ever needed, which is what you always want. Margin to increase dosing is nice, rather than needing to max out to get things under control and then you have no where left to go, if that makes sense. 

I"ll also add in that it's a good time for him to be using those and not a steroid based nasal spray (Nasonex, Nasacort, etc.) if at all possible. I'm sure I will have some argue with me here- but those can definitely affect your immune response, and this isn't a great time of year for that. By design they tamp it down a bit- that's how they work as a steroid based drug to shut down the allergic response. And so right now with flu at such a high rate, Nasacort would not my drug of choice to recommend if these others are working well for him and giving him relief. You want to keep that immune system up while still controlling the allergies. If he needs the extra boost, then that's one thing, but if he's managing fine without a nasal steroid, just let that be for now if possible. But once viral activity rates drop around the US as the weather changes, Nasacort can be a nice addition if his symptoms increase with spring/summer pollen levels. 

And of course my disclaimer, I am not an MD. I just worked on a lot of infectious disease and other allergies trials in a former life, and there's a lot of overlap with what is an allergic response versus what is a viral response and so on..... But definitely go talk to an allergist at some point again if you can get him.Things change with age, so a new panel could be helpful.  The meds they have available now are absolutely insane with what some can do- miracle level. The research is becoming increasingly complex and specialized to where I don't think most generalizations hold anymore and they definitely have a LOT more options at their disposal to help him Rx wise than the things people have mentioned in this thread - things like interleukins etc- if he finds the right allergist and/or has a more severe outbreak and needs a heavier hitter med.  Allergies are most definitely not straight forward at all- and are quite complex over the old way of looking at things like "oh it's hay fever, here have some Benadryl". 

Anyway, hopefully he keeps improving! Good luck! 

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

When I took only Zyrtec for a long period of time (say six months) a couple of years ago, I definitely had a weird couple of day withdrawal of sorts when I dropped it cold turkey, where I got super itchy for a bit- my skin felt crawly and itchy- in much the same way codeine makes me feel. It was a weird couple of days. I think I even posted about it here. It passed quickly though and I had no issues after getting past that. 

Since using the Azalastine (Astapro) as my mainline treatment though, I have had zero issue going on and off Zyrtec as needed. I usually drop the Zyrtec first when the pollen count drops, and am more typically on the Azalastine maybe 9 months of the year altogether, where as the Zyrtec I tend to be more sporadic, and it's no where near that amount of the year. Now I do use the Azelastine twice a day when counts are high here, so that is different than how your dh is taking it...... I live in Southern Texas where things are perpetually in some sort of bloom so the pollen counts here come fast and hard. Anyway, I think staying on the Azalastine a few more days when dropping the Zyrtec helps taper down for me, so I've never had the withdrawal issue again. I have yet to have had a problem dropping the Azelastine either as far as withdrawal symptoms. 

But someone up thread mentioned that when you hit into a full out severe allergic reaction or response, it can take quite some time to tamp the body's response down, so the fact that he is responding so quickly to the Astapro + Zyrtec alone bodes well for him. Especially only taking the Astapro once a day. He has room to up dosages as needed, and has more options available for layering if ever needed, which is what you always want. Margin to increase dosing is nice, rather than needing to max out to get things under control and then you have no where left to go, if that makes sense. 

I"ll also add in that it's a good time for him to be using those and not a steroid based nasal spray (Nasonex, Nasacort, etc.) if at all possible. I'm sure I will have some argue with me here- but those can definitely affect your immune response, and this isn't a great time of year for that. By design they tamp it down a bit- that's how they work as a steroid based drug to shut down the allergic response. And so right now with flu at such a high rate, Nasacort would not my drug of choice to recommend if these others are working well for him and giving him relief. You want to keep that immune system up while still controlling the allergies. If he needs the extra boost, then that's one thing, but if he's managing fine without a nasal steroid, just let that be for now if possible. But once viral activity rates drop around the US as the weather changes, Nasacort can be a nice addition if his symptoms increase with spring/summer pollen levels. 

And of course my disclaimer, I am not an MD. I just worked on a lot of infectious disease and other allergies trials in a former life, and there's a lot of overlap with what is an allergic response versus what is a viral response and so on..... But definitely go talk to an allergist at some point again if you can get him.Things change with age, so a new panel could be helpful.  The meds they have available now are absolutely insane with what some can do- miracle level. The research is becoming increasingly complex and specialized to where I don't think most generalizations hold anymore and they definitely have a LOT more options at their disposal to help him Rx wise than the things people have mentioned in this thread - things like interleukins etc- if he finds the right allergist and/or has a more severe outbreak and needs a heavier hitter med.  Allergies are most definitely not straight forward at all- and are quite complex over the old way of looking at things like "oh it's hay fever, here have some Benadryl". 

Anyway, hopefully he keeps improving! Good luck! 

Thanks for writing all of that out! I appreciate it. Once he’s had a week or two of relief, maybe we’ll cut back on the Nasonex and see how he does with a lower dose or just the Astepro. I’ll have him experiment over the summer with Nasacort. There’s a new allergist at the practice I’ve been taking my ds to for his food allergies and I’ve been happy with her for him. Maybe I’ll take dh to see her in case there are better suggestions for him than what we’ve gotten from allergist visits in the past.

• Like 1