Menu

My public library has a fun display.

Excelsior! Academy

The display is titled Blind Date with a Book.  All of the books are wrapped individually with brown paper and tied with ribbon and on each wrapped  book is a typed tag with a brief description of the book's contents. The posted rules say that you must check out the book before opening the wrapping.  

I want to upload a photo, but alas am too technologically challenged. 

• Like 13

My public library has a Human Library, where you can check out a human being for a 20 minute conversation.  I checked out a woman police officer and we had a nice conversation about her work.  Checking now, the latest offerings include:  Recovering Addict and Son, Gay Parent, Refugee, Formerly Homeless, Conservative (we don't have many here where I live), and Disabled.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, daijobu said:

My public library has a Human Library, where you can check out a human being for a 20 minute conversation.  I checked out a woman police officer and we had a nice conversation about her work.  Checking now, the latest offerings include:  Recovering Addict and Son, Gay Parent, Refugee, Formerly Homeless, Conservative (we don't have many here where I live), and Disabled.  

People and their stories fascinate me. I think I am a sociologist at heart. LOL I would absolutely love to do  this. I Love talking to people about the things that are monumental in their lives. From something simple like "I'm on my way to a concert" and how that is monumental in a single moment in time.....to the careers that people chose. The concerns and things that shape our lives (why is one person afraid of bridges) or what brings a person's brain pure joy (a person who spends every moment outdoors vs someone who loves to get lost in a book). I adore talking to people and the emotions that their lives bring to the moment. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, daijobu said:

That is AWESOME.  Sounds like a neat thing.  Do they have sign up slots or just a day when the guest is there and you wait your turn?  Does it stay nice and polite and civil?  I would love to propose this to our local library.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

That is AWESOME.  Sounds like a neat thing.  Do they have sign up slots or just a day when the guest is there and you wait your turn?  Does it stay nice and polite and civil?  I would love to propose this to our local library.

Yes, you sign up online for a specific day, time, and human.  There were about 10 humans in a large community room sitting at small tables with a little table card so we knew where to go.  At the appointed time we were instructed to go to our respective tables.  It was all well supervised by library staff, and after time was up, the next group was invited to replace us.  

You can learn more here.

My library had that too in February, but no descriptions! I didn’t check one out. In the past they’ve done it with descriptions and I did check one out. It was okay. Like most “grab bag” type things, I find I like the idea of it better than the reality.