Menu

ACT Registration - optional questions QUICK

Just Kate

Help! I just realized that ds needs to register to take the ACT today to avoid late charges (he wants to take dual credit classes next year). When going through the registration process, there are many questions about his schooling, interests, etc. that are optional. It looks like if  he completes these questions it can be included in info that will go out to colleges and for scholarships. It says it can also become part of his college record. Should he complete these optional questions??

• Like 1

ACT and CollegeBoard sells student profiles. He would likely get spam mail and spam emails from colleges and organizations.

The optional questions are really optional. Same goes for SAT registration. 

ETA: https://mobile.edweek.org/c.jsp?cid=25919761&bcid=25919761&rssid=25919751&item=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.edweek.org%2Fv1%2Few%2F%3Fuuid%3D26963E2A-A483-11E8-89AE-7F0EB4743667

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

I refused to answer those questions when I registered DS, and I told him not to answer them when he took the actual test, even if the proctor told him he was "supposed to" answer them. ACT just collects all that data and sells it to colleges and then you get inundated with spam while ACT makes millions from the information. 

• Like 3

Don't-like seriously, don't! The stack of mail that DD has gotten since she did the ACT in 9th fills two good sized boxes-we're going to see if it outweighs her before she graduates. I suspect she would have gotten some anyway, but I'm about 99% sure that most of it came from the ACT

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hellen said:

The mail comes even if you don't fill it out and mark the no sharing option.  Possibly my son gets less than he would have, but he average several per week.  Because of the email listed, we know it was College Board that sold his information.  

My daughter got 15+ emails per day and 2-3 snailmails per day during the peak. She checked the box to share her info. Never again.

College Board is SAT. ACT is a different monster. Both will sell your info, but it is much less useful to them if you give them the least amount possible.