Menu

Please recommend a science curriculum for me

Tohru

Right now our lives are very complicated and I'm looking for a simple science for grades 2-6.

I would prefer something the way I'm using the SOTW - I read a chapter while they color a sheet from the Activity Guide, we do map work, look at the encyclopedia, chat for a minute, and then we're done. The next day we read the next chapter.

Ideally I would like to open it up, read a short chapter or lesson, do a notebook page, have an occasional experiment, and done. It can be different levels for elementary and middle school; I just want something simple and easy to implement.

Anything like that out there?

Maybe Gods Design?  If Christian is ok, it’s pretty well organized and comprehensive and each section has a 3 page or so spread , good pictures, vocabulary, there are some activity pages on cd ( I didn’t use many so don’t know much about them) , there is often a activity or experiment you can take it or leave it depending on your energy level. Can use with multiple grades and use as much Of the pieces beyond the reading as you have space for.

• Like 2

Elemental Science

It is pretty much what you are describing. We have used SOTW and Elemental Science for 12 years. We use the Classic series. It is made by the same people as Sassafras mentioned above. Sassafras is more like a story, though. The Classics series uses a spine like Usborne Science Encyclopedia. There are always optional books, videos, coloring pages, lapbook components, etc. So, you can do as much or as little as you like. We always combine kids, as well, so that makes it easier. Check it out.

https://elementalscience.com/collections/classical-science

• Like 1

We've really been enjoying the Science in the Beginning series by Jay Wile.  Each lesson is about 2-2.5 pages long (including the experiment).  There are experiments each day.  They are normally pretty easy, but if it's more in depth than I want for that day (or I don't have the necessary components...who keeps mentos just laying around?!) I usually either do a quick Google/YouTube search (like the mentos in coke experiment) or just talk through the experiment.  There are questions at the end of each lesson.

23 hours ago, LauraClark said:

We've really been enjoying the Science in the Beginning series by Jay Wile.  Each lesson is about 2-2.5 pages long (including the experiment).  There are experiments each day.  They are normally pretty easy, but if it's more in depth than I want for that day (or I don't have the necessary components...who keeps mentos just laying around?!) I usually either do a quick Google/YouTube search (like the mentos in coke experiment) or just talk through the experiment.  There are questions at the end of each lesson.

To overcome the problem of odd items I might not have around, I always look through a science curriculum before we start and put a post-it note about a week's worth of lessons ahead reminding me that an experiment with an odd item needed is coming up soon so that I might have the opportunity to grab it at the store if we are in town before then. If we don't go to town or for some other reason I can't get the item, I agree you can almost always find a video of the experiment. Not quite the same experience but it will work in a pinch.